• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

AstroLad said:
Looking for earphones based on the following conditions:
-Price irrelevant.
-Prefer the Apple design or even the in-ear as long as it's not literally raping my ear.
-Good if it has the Apple controls. Is there an equivalent type of control for Android phones? Where you can pause and play and stuff right from the headphones? Because that would be even better.

ultimate ears has the triple.fi 10vi with sound great but look goofy. you also have a few other models in their line that are cheaper and have controls but much better external design. (the 600 are a great earphone)

sennheiser has a new remote control model of the IE8 called the IE8i. another good option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Full Recovery said:
Received my Sennheiser PC 360s today and wow at the sound stage. I had a pair of AT AD700s and the size of the sound stage just doesn't compare. After playing a few matches of Gears and listening to some music I'm very happy with my purchase.

Great to here, and even better since you got them on sale! Considering the 360s retail for over double the AD700s I'd hope they'd be better though outside of just including the mic. :p

Presco

Full Recovery said:
Received my Sennheiser PC 360s today and wow at the sound stage. I had a pair of AT AD700s and the size of the sound stage just doesn't compare. After playing a few matches of Gears and listening to some music I'm very happy with my purchase.

Happy to hear you liked my suggestion. And yeah, while a bit expensive, I think they are well worth the price. You are getting very close to the equivalent quality of pair of similarly priced dedicated headphones with the bonus of a great mic. I much prefer mine to my M50s for just about everything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
LCfiner said:
ultimate ears has the triple.fi 10vi with sound great but look goofy. you also have a few other models in their line that are cheaper and have controls but much better external design. (the 600 are a great earphone)

sennheiser has a new remote control model of the IE8 called the IE8i. another good option.
Yeah I have tried these and feel the same way. How are the incase ones? http://goincase.com/products/detail/capsule-ec30012 Look pretty nice.

AstroLad said:
Yeah I have tried these and feel the same way. How are the incase ones? http://goincase.com/products/detail/capsule-ec30012 Look pretty nice.
I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into a company that's primarily known for manufacturing phone cases. Your best bet is gonna be the IE8i if price is no object, though I feel the IE8 don't offer the best sound quality/price ratio ( inspite of being excellent phones). The A-Jays Four are also worth looking into.

Chorazin

AstroLad said:
Looking for earphones based on the following conditions:
-Price irrelevant.
-Prefer the Apple design or even the in-ear as long as it's not literally raping my ear.
-Good if it has the Apple controls. Is there an equivalent type of control for Android phones? Where you can pause and play and stuff right from the headphones? Because that would be even better.
Apple's own in-ear phones are pretty good, I think. I own them and never had a complaint, plus its nice that you can clean them easily.

If you really want the Apple style, go to the source.

omgkitty

Chorazin said:
Apple's own in-ear phones are pretty good, I think. I own them and never had a complaint, plus its nice that you can clean them easily.

The Apple buds make my ears hurt like hell after about 5 minutes of use. Plus, if you start using good headphones, it makes them sound like absolute shit, and they kind of are. I used the apple buds for about a year when I first go my iPod 7 or 8 years ago and when they finally broke I never really looked back.

Gila

omgkitty said:
The Apple buds make my ears hurt like hell after about 5 minutes of use. Plus, if you start using good headphones, it makes them sound like absolute shit, and they kind of are. I used the apple buds for about a year when I first go my iPod 7 or 8 years ago and when they finally broke I never really looked back.
I believe he's talking about the In-ear headphones, as opposed to the stock buds that come with iPods and iPhones

Chorazin said:

I found these to have decent highs and lows, but a terrible midrange.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
omgkitty said:

The new buds are quiet a big better than the old buds from long ago. We've already discussed this in this thread though.

omgkitty

Brettison said:
The new buds are quiet a big better than the old buds from long ago. We've already discussed this in this thread though.

Oh well I tried the ones with my new iPhone a few weeks ago and they still aren't great to me.

Anyone have experience rewiring headphones? Specifically Sennheiser? My HD 555 cable, while not only being ridiculously long and having a huge fucking plug, seems to be having issues at the plug end, where if the cable is bent at the connector, it goes in and out.

I'd like to replace it with something shorter, and a bit more durable.

Baconbitz

Banned
Question. I own a pair of M9's from MEElectronics. The balanced tips are large and fall out of my ear. Is there something equal to those tips?

Edit:
pJeiB.jpg

Does anyone know anything about cutting? I'm afraid to screw it up.

bryehn

Just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD201s for basic home/bus listening and I am genuinely surprised at how good they sound. They've handled all the sub-bass (I listen to dubstep/garage/drum and bass a lot) I've tested so far and have a really bright mid-high sound. They won't replace my main cans for DJing/gaming/home theatre and the cord is too long, but great value as an entry level set for sure, better than I expected really.

JackEtc

My Klipsch S4's just went, left earbud out like EVERY PAIR OF HEADPHONES I'VE EVER OWNED. It's so odd.

Went on Amazon to return them, and then realized I bought them from Best Buy last year and can't find the receipt :(.

Guess I'll be out another 80 bucks.

Ashhong

Baconbitz said:
Question. I own a pair of M9's from MEElectronics. The balanced tips are large and fall out of my ear. Is there something equal to those tips?

Edit:
pJeiB.jpg

Does anyone know anything about cutting? I'm afraid to screw it up.

I am pretty sure you can just cut it. The drivers and speaker are not at the very tip so think of it just like an extension.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
JackEtc said:
My Klipsch S4's just went, left earbud out like EVERY PAIR OF HEADPHONES I'VE EVER OWNED. It's so odd.

Went on Amazon to return them, and then realized I bought them from Best Buy last year and can't find the receipt :(.

Guess I'll be out another 80 bucks.
You don't need receipts at Best Buy. It's all in the computer.

JackEtc

K.Jack said:
You don't need receipts at Best Buy. It's all in the computer.
I was hoping to just send them in to Klipsch for the warranty, since it was so long ago and I don't have the packaging or anything.

I bought the Audio Technica M50 & more like Audio Technica MEH!

I bought the M50's because they are so recommended on headphone forums & people on eBay are always paying nearly retail for even used beat up versions of them. They seemed the go-to sub $200 closed headphones to get.

I bought them as a replacement for my Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which are opened air cans & they are not suitable for privacy.

The M50 headphones are not comfortable, the cups are small & squeeze into your ears way too much. The sound itself is alright, but it's noticeably not on par with the AD700, which is almost half the price of it!

Alucrid

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
I bought the Audio Technica M50 & more like Audio Technica MEH!

I bought the M50's because they are so recommended on headphone forums & people on eBay are always paying nearly retail for even used beat up versions of them. They seemed the go-to sub $200 closed headphones to get.

I bought them as a replacement for my Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which are opened air cans & they are not suitable for privacy.

The M50 headphones are not comfortable, the cups are small & squeeze into your ears way too much. The sound itself is alright, but it's noticeably not on par with the AD700, which is almost half the price of it!

I respectfully disagree.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How much burn-in time did you give them? I find that this usually makes the biggest difference on sound impression, at least for me.

Chorazin

Ashhong said:
My M50s are extremely comfortable. Bass could be a bit more though ^^

Sigh....either you just don't do what i've told you to do to get the bass you want from them, or you have unrealistic expectations about how much bass headphones should produce.

My M50s sound and fit great, not a single complaint here.

Ashhong

Chorazin said:
Sigh....either you just don't do what i've told you to do to get the bass you want from them, or you have unrealistic expectations about how much bass headphones should produce.

My M50s sound and fit great, not a single complaint here.

I did what you told me! It sounds good but I could use more bass. Yes I probably have unrealistic expectations. For reference, I loved the bass on the Beats Solo, just didn't want to spend my money on Monster headphones. I am happy/satisfied with what the E11 provides, dont get me wrong.

omgkitty

I was hoping someone could fill me in on the durability of the Klipsch IMAGE S4's? I am considering ordering some with some Comply tips and wanted to know how durable they are as far as the cable and buds go. Don't really want to pay $100 for something that will probably break in 6 months to a year.

I'm enjoying my SR80i's, but I'm hoping the mid-range will open up a little more once I've burned them in. The sound is decent, but the mid range is not as clear as the bass notes and highs. The mid is just too...high, if anyone understands that.

omgkitty said:
I was hoping someone could fill me in on the durability of the Klipsch IMAGE S4's? I am considering ordering some with some Comply tips and wanted to know how durable they are as far as the cable and buds go. Don't really want to pay $100 for something that will probably break in 6 months to a year.
S4's are reputed to have build issues. It's a strain relief issue, and they'll likely short out on one side. There have been a couple of people in this very thread who have had pairs die on them. Also, ditch the comply idea. They are comfy but really strangle the highs, I bought a pair for my DDMs and went back to dual flanges that same day. Your best bet would be to find some comfy tips, it takes effort, but is worth it to get the best out of your phones.

omgkitty

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
S4's are reputed to have build issues. It's a strain relief issue, and they'll likely short out on one side. There have been a couple of people in this very thread who have had pairs die on them. Also, ditch the comply idea. They are comfy but really strangle the highs, I bought a pair for my DDMs and went back to dual flanges that same day. Your best bet would be to find some comfy tips, it takes effort, but is worth it to get the best out of your phones.

Well that's kind of disappointing to hear. I really think I may just go with some aiaiai Pipe headphones then as I know they are very durable, have decent sound, and they look great.

Edit: I think I am going to get these:

26_cd8e220dec.jpg

They are the special Fool's Gold edition of the Pipes. I really like the color combination. Too bad though because they just released a special edition version of the TMA-1's, and damn are they sweet!

25_542d5b53bd.jpg

I really hope they release replacement yellow cords for these. I really want one for my pair.

omgkitty

Wormdundee said:
Dammit man, now I really want those TMA-1s.

Don't do this to me.

Well they are sold out on aiaiai's website, but they have them on Amazon for $250 right now. There's only 10 sets left. I really like the black and yellow, even though I don't really care for Fool's Gold. I think I am going to email them to ask if they are going to or will sell me the yellow cable since they are interchangeable.

joshlee

omgkitty said:
Well they are sold out on aiaiai's website, but they have them on Amazon for $250 right now. There's only 10 sets left. I really like the black and yellow, even though I don't really care for Fool's Gold. I think I am going to email them to ask if they are going to or will sell me the yellow cable since they are interchangeable.

Have had great luck with their customer support. They dont sell the new cable w/mic that they released with the newer tma-1s. After a quick email I was able to purchase them for the price of the standard cable.

omgkitty

joshlee said:
Have had great luck with their customer support. They dont sell the new cable w/mic that they released with the newer tma-1s. After a quick email I was able to purchase them for the price of the standard cable.

Oh wow really? I think I will hit them up tonight. Which email address did you email them at? I see that they have 3 under their contacts.

Edit: Nevermind. I saw the customer service address and just sent them one. I'll let people know what they say if anyone is interested.

Brownmonkey

Neo Member
Audio-Gaf, I need your help. Looking to buy my first pair of over $100 headphones and am debating between Audio-Technica ATH-M50s for $159 or Bowers and Wilkins P5s for $179.

I would be using these headphones for at home use/ walking about on campus.

HiResDes

Brownmonkey said:
Audio-Gaf, I need your help. Looking to buy my first pair of over $100 headphones and am debating between Audio-Technica ATH-M50s for $159 or Bowers and Wilkins P5s for $179.

I would be using these headphones for at home use/ walking about on campus.
I'd also consider the SRH-840, which is on sale for $125

omgkitty

omgkitty said:
Nevermind. I saw the customer service address and just sent them one. I'll let people know what they say if anyone is interested.

I got an email response back from aiaiai. Unfortunately, they don't sell the yellow cables separate:

Thanks for your interest. It's good to hear you like our new Fool's Gold headphones :)

Unfortunately we do not stock any Fool's Gold cables and can therefore not offer you one. As this is a limited edition headphone, we have not produced any accessories separately. So the only thing we can offer you is the black cable w/mic, which we do not offer at our web shop due to exclusivity agreements, but sell to customers who already have a TMA-1. We are currently out of stock but expect the next delivery of cables w/mic in about 4-5 weeks.

Please let me know if you are interested in this so I can put you on our waiting list. My apologies for the inconvenience.

It's disappointing, but I may just order the cable with the mic.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sad day for me. My ESW9a have broken for the 2nd time in 3 months. I can no longer recommend these sweet sounding headphone because of the shoddy build quality. I'm trying to get either my money back or returning them for credit towards a newer model. My warranty runs out in 2 months not going to risk having to repair them again.

If they fuck me over anybody have recommendations on a new pair of headphones with a similar sound?

Valygar

I moved from my Seinheisser 202 to
K44__79417_zoom.jpg
. I don't honestly know if they feel better or not, but at least they are a bit more comfortable.

I'm a bit wary of buying "high" price stuff, I should buy a sound card as well to really notice the difference (I only use my computer for that stuff), and I don't really listen much to music. But I absolutely love to be able to hear things better in gaming.

I tried looking into some 40$ sound boards, but at the end it seemed they won't be a huge difference to my motherboard built-in sound card. Any recommendations at that price range?

I've also heard about "chinese copy" high end headphones for 50$ and such.. Is that true?

Tried some Dre Beats today (studio?). No idea what makes people pay hundreds of euro's for it. Then again, they are beeing sold in Apple stores, where are used to overpriced stuff.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I've been using my K701 for music production for a couple of years now, and I'm still completely in love with them. Such fantastic highs and mids. How much of an improvement are the K702s?

Top Bottom