• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

FoxSpirit

Valygar said:
I moved from my Seinheisser 202 to
K44__79417_zoom.jpg
. I don't honestly know if they feel better or not, but at least they are a bit more comfortable.

I'm a bit wary of buying "high" price stuff, I should buy a sound card as well to really notice the difference (I only use my computer for that stuff), and I don't really listen much to music. But I absolutely love to be able to hear things better in gaming.

I tried looking into some 40$ sound boards, but at the end it seemed they won't be a huge difference to my motherboard built-in sound card. Any recommendations at that price range?

I've also heard about "chinese copy" high end headphones for 50$ and such.. Is that true?
Oh yeah, the copy stuff is true. And they are, as expected, not really sounding like the real thing. Or have terrible driver matching (looks like someone raided the wastebin of a manufacturer at times). So if you wanna make sure, only buy from authorised dealers.

As far as the soundcard goes, it really depends on how you onboard is. There is some decent, and there is some downright terrible. Like at work, sound clear and stuff but where the hell is the bass. Where???
Something like a Xonar DX already will do great things, or you could go external with a FiiO E10 which for the $80 is really lauded as a headphone DAC/AMP combo. Not much and will serve you really well even if you get better phones at a point.

Also, as far as clear reproduction goes, ASIO/WASAPI drivers really do make quite the difference. Windows sound manipulation has bad quality and destroys imaging as well as dynamics. I'm not sure if you can use them with games, but for movies and music using XBMC and Foobar it's easy and really improves things with a good setup.

omgkitty

Anyone here have any thoughts about the Brainwavz B2's? I saw someone in the pickup thread bought some, and if you buy them on Amazon, you can spend $20 more and get a FiiO E11 amp with them.

I have a question here about sound cards actually. I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, but I want to make sure.

If I have an external DAC and amp hooked up via optical to my sound card the card isn't actually doing anything right? I went into the Creative X-fi panel and turned off all the widgety things like crystalizer and virtual3d and whatever else is in there. So I'm thinking all it's doing currently is taking the digital signal from foobar and outputting it through optical. (Oh, and I am using ASIO)

Is that correct?

Wormdundee said:
I have a question here about sound cards actually. I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, but I want to make sure.

If I have an external DAC and amp hooked up via optical to my sound card the card isn't actually doing anything right? I went into the Creative X-fi panel and turned off all the widgety things like crystalizer and virtual3d and whatever else is in there. So I'm thinking all it's doing currently is taking the digital signal from foobar and outputting it through optical. (Oh, and I am using ASIO)

Is that correct?
If you're outputting through optical then you are bypassing the onboard soundcard yes.

I'm in the 55 and under crowd (generally, and especially right now). My last two earphones have been the NuForce - NE-6 and NuForce NE-700X. I actually preferred the former's sound and the later had trouble with the left ear piece sounding too quiet when plugged into my Xonar D1 (no amp. Works perfectly in my Zune HD). The problem with both is that they died within a year so I'd prefer something that is a bit more rugged so I don't feel like I'm handling butterfly wings and pixie dreams every time I use them. Any thoughts?

If it helps: I have yet to use anything short of "bought these bad boys in the Walmart checkout line" that have not had enough bass, so mid and upper-mid range are most important to me.

Thanks. :)

The_Monk

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me (or, is this the right place to ask?) I'm going to get some Headphones. They are going to be free because I have some credit from a very small local store to use and they are the only good ones available.

It's the TRITTON AX720 (they had something similar named something PRO but are sold out).

NPKael.jpg

How good are they for playing games? And how easy it is to setup on PS3 + adjusting and change the options in the PS3 sound definitions etc? I heard some people getting Mic problems with them.

I'm going to get them next week, but I wonder if I could get some help from you, sorry if I'm talking about a cheap or average Headphone in here. They are the only ones I can get.. Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm not sure how many people have those kinds of headphones here. You might be better off asking gaming side. Most people here don't mess with gaming branded stuff or headsets in general, for that matter.

InertiaXr

I have some Sennheiser HD555's I bought in January 2010 and they have this apparently extremely common 'stress crack' on both sides in the exact locations in that head-fi thread. What's the deal? Those guys seem to say just super glue it and it'll be fine, but should I try and call Sennheiser and see if they will replace them since I am still in the 2 year window? I've thoroughly enjoyed these headphones and would have no problem with getting new ones or even having Sennheiser 'replace' them by giving me the apparently new 558's...

Ashhong

InertiaXr said:
I have some Sennheiser HD555's I bought in January 2010 and they have this apparently extremely common 'stress crack' on both sides in the exact locations in that head-fi thread. What's the deal? Those guys seem to say just super glue it and it'll be fine, but should I try and call Sennheiser and see if they will replace them since I am still in the 2 year window? I've thoroughly enjoyed these headphones and would have no problem with getting new ones or even having Sennheiser 'replace' them by giving me the apparently new 558's...

No offense but why ask this? If you are still in the warranty window I would definitely call them and see if they will do anything about it. Seems like a no brainer..

InertiaXr

Ashhong said:
No offense but why ask this? If you are still in the warranty window I would definitely call them and see if they will do anything about it. Seems like a no brainer..

Well if it's strictly a visual problem I'd rather not have to call and be put on hold, have to talk to customer service reps, have to ship my only headphones out for who knows how long to wherever, perhaps have to pay for shipping either way, probably get back a 'refurbished' pair that haven't settled into my head for the past 2 years, among other things.

Ashhong

InertiaXr said:
Well if it's strictly a visual problem I'd rather not have to call and be put on hold, have to talk to customer service reps, have to ship my only headphones out for who knows how long to wherever, perhaps have to pay for shipping either way, probably get back a 'refurbished' pair that haven't settled into my head for the past 2 years, among other things.

I see your point. I personally like perfect condition things so would definitely call to see what they offer at least. Manufacturer refurb items are usually great.

The Grado SR80i is made for rock, acoustic, and classical. I'm still burning them in, but my acoustic albums have never sounded better.

Question:

I have a Sharp Aquos LC42D64U tv. It has no headphone jack (how stupid). How can I use headphones on this while playing my PS3. PS3 is connected via HDMI if that matters. Is there some adapter out there and are wireless headphones any good? I'm no major audiophile I just want something under $100. But this isn't really a headphone recommendation post. I just want to know how to hook up headphones to my tv. I assume an adapter may help but don't know what. Thanks in advance.

Chorazin

criesofthepast said:
Question:

I have a Sharp Aquos LC42D64U tv. It has no headphone jack (how stupid). How can I use headphones on this while playing my PS3. PS3 is connected via HDMI if that matters. Is there some adapter out there and are wireless headphones any good? I'm no major audiophile I just want something under $100. But this isn't really a headphone recommendation post. I just want to know how to hook up headphones to my tv. I assume an adapter may help but don't know what. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like this would be right up your alley: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

It's not really only for PS3 gaming though. I want them for apple tv and bluray. Those headphones don't even support bluray, it's just for gaming.

More interested on getting headphones to work with my tv.

Alucrid

Banned
criesofthepast said:
It's not really only for PS3 gaming though. I want them for apple tv and bluray. Those headphones don't even support bluray, it's just for gaming.

More interested on getting headphones to work with my tv.

Get a DAC (digital to analog converter) / preamp combo.

3N16MA

Banned
InertiaXr said:

I also have Sennheiser HD 555. Did not know about this problem and luckily mine are fine.

Alucrid said:
Get a DAC (digital to analog converter) / preamp combo.
Honestly dude, I have no idea what that is. Can you link me to these things? Amazon or whatever.

I'm reading that an RCA to headphone jack exist but volume control is not possible unless your headphones have volume control on them. If I bought a pair of 5.1 headphones, would plugging them into one of these adapters gimp the performance of my headphones?

Alucrid

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Honestly dude, I have no idea what that is. Can you link me to these things? Amazon or whatever.

I'm reading that an RCA to headphone jack exist but volume control is not possible unless your headphones have volume control on them. If I bought a pair of 5.1 headphones, would plugging them into one of these adapters gimp the performance of my headphones?

Something like this. There's probably cheaper options out there.

Presco

criesofthepast said:
Little too expensive. I was hoping for a $2 adapter lol. I think I'll try the RCA to headphone adapter and see how that works. Thanks though.

haha, this is the "$500 cans on.." thread. the astro mixamp would also be an option if you also want to use voice chat in games. it's not $2 (around $100 for wired, $120 for wireless) but it's a great all-around solution for movies and games and voice.

Fou-Lu

How do I convince a girl not to buy beats? She doesn't have the money to waste on those things. But no matter what I tell her about them she's dead set.

She is my friend so I'd liked to stop her from making a stupid decision if I can.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Listening to the Goat Rodeo Sessions on my HD598's using my Pioneer Elite receiver was awesome.

Ichor said:
How do I convince a girl not to buy beats? She doesn't have the money to waste on those things. But no matter what I tell her about them she's dead set.

She is my friend so I'd liked to stop her from making a stupid decision if I can.

Has she said why she wants the Beats? (or at least why she thinks she wants them)

Sometimes you just have to let people make their own mistakes.. if she's buying them from a place with a good return policy I'd suggest letting her buy them and letting her compare them to a pair of your headphones so she can hear the difference.. unless she's just dead set on how Beats look, she may decide to return them once she hears for herself.

Apparently Tyll over at innerfidelity has a fairly positive review of the Soul by Ludacris SL150 headphones..

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/soul-ludacris-sl150#comment-481242

If she's wanting a "celebrity" headphone.. apparently they sound pretty good compared to other headphones in their price range, not just "celebrity" models.

Gvaz

Banned
Every time I see someone in my college with beats (at least five so far) I want to rip them off their head and stomp on them.

Except for that one kid with HD595s. That kid was cool.

Gvaz said:
Every time I see someone in my college with beats (at least five so far) I want to rip them off their head and stomp on them.

Hey, get outta this thread and get crackin' on those dolphin SS pics >:l

Chorazin

Gvaz said:

Overreacting much? If people are happy with them, who cares?

LCfiner

Gvaz said:

if someone was wearing the open, sound leaking 595s in a library or something, I'd be more upset than if he or she was wearing closed, quiet beats.

people will spend their money on what they want. getting angry at them is a silly reaction, imo.

I should be getting my Ultimate Ears 600vi's later today. I posted awhile back looking for some new headphones, particularly for travel, and wanted something lightweight that still sound good. I haven't always been a fan of in-ear buds, but I've heard that the UE's are super comfortable and have great sound. I'm looking forward to trying them out later today.

Gvaz

Banned
LCfiner said:
if someone was wearing the open, sound leaking 595s in a library or something, I'd be more upset than if he or she was wearing closed, quiet beats.

people will spend their money on what they want. getting angry at them is a silly reaction, imo.
I'm mad about overpriced hardware.

He was wearing them in a somewhat loud lunch room.

Just ordered the HD598's from newegg (for $181). Looking forward to them as they will be my first nice set of cans. I have read up on them and they seem suited for my needs. I have the PS3 headset for gaming.

Chorazin

I'm still in love with my ATH-50 phones, these things sounds amazing with my E11. The bass on Childish Gambino's Culdisac album is rocking me hard!

Alucrid

Banned
Ichor said:

She wants to be fashionable and probably doesn't care (or notice) for sound quality. Let it go bro.

Doopliss

Just ordered some Phonak Audeo 012s (free with a £21 magazine subscription [link]). I saw the 112s mentioned in the OP but are these ones any good? I'm currently using Sennheiser CX 400-IIs.

Howdy, I'm fairly new as an audiophile. I'm trying to pick between 3 headphones for Ipod/PC use, since my last ones are starting to crap out.

I was able to narrow it down to 3 for price/quality with the help of another GAFer(Thanks Gene!).

Does anyone have an input or recommendation between these 3?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001WRSJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ARSMXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD...415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14ca150f

Price range should ideally be between 60-80 dollars. 100 maximum.

Thank you for your time.

3N16MA

Banned
ErnieMcCracken said:
Just ordered the HD598's from newegg (for $181). Looking forward to them as they will be my first nice set of cans. I have read up on them and they seem suited for my needs. I have the PS3 headset for gaming.

Wouldn't it be cheaper if you bought it from Amazon since you pay no tax? I'm assuming you're in the U.S. considering the price.

3N16MA said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper if you bought it from Amazon since you pay no tax? I'm assuming you're in the U.S. considering the price.
Amazon didn't lower the price until later after I sent them the Newegg price to match (for others). I wasn't charged tax w/ Newegg either and they shipped today, so all good.

Souljiro

Ok gaf I'm looking for some new headphones I currently have the yuin PK3's

- Price range $100-$200
- Over the ear type
- For home and commute I take the train to work
- Use for music and audiobooks
- I would like to be able to listen to my audiobooks on the train so would I need noise cancelling? It's not that big of a deal if I can't

I have a set of Monster Turbine's for on-the-go iPhone listening. I absolutely love them, however, they don't have a mic/control-talk on them so that kinda sucks.
I was looking at a relatively cheap headset I could use. I mainly listen to podcasts so I dont feel the high fidelity of something priced as high as the turbines is necessary.

I was looking at the meelectronics m9/m11p ($20 ish). Anyone have any thoughts on those?
Should i just go spend the $$ on the Klipsch S4i? How do the S4i's compare to the turbines? Anyone have personal experience (because i've seen many reviews that are all over the place)?

LCfiner

If you don't want to spend 100 bucks or more, you should look into the ultimate ears super.4vi or super.5vi

the super 4 aren't too expensive at MSRP but the super.5 are 100 MSRP but they go on sale online semi regularly for closer to 60 or 70

Darklord

Banned
How do I stop my headphones cord from twisting? I try and keep it as smooth as possible, never twist or wrap it up but it keeps twisting and ends up getting all entangled with itself. It's so annoying.

Top Bottom