• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Now I'm contemplating the Grado SR80i, but like all the others, they have super long cords. I don't plan on using these in a studio. Is there something I can replace the 7 foot cord with?

LuCkymoON said:
what are the best universal IEMs? price not an issue.
In my experience, the Earsonic SM3. The Westone W4 are up there too, but may be a more polarizing set of phones in spite of offering excellent technical performance. Another alternative is the FX700, if you are into visceral bass, great timbre and an wide soundstage. Beyond these three, you're not likely to get objectively better sound until you step up to customs, the cheapest of which are the 1964-Ts I believe.

omgkitty

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
In my experience, the Earsonic SM3. The Westone W4 are up there too, but may be a more polarizing set of phones in spite of offering excellent technical performance. Another alternative is the FX700, if you are into visceral bass, great timbre and an wide soundstage. Beyond these three, you're not likely to get objectively better sound until you step up to customs, the cheapest of which are the 1964-Ts I believe.

Do you have an opinion for me on not spending tons of money and having an inline mic around the $100 to $200 range?

omgkitty

Are you inquiring about a set of IEMs or headphones?

Edit - I'll reply later, I gotta take the car for a smog/safety check

IEMS. I already own a pair of TMA-1's. I made a post on the last page but no one responded :(

omgkitty said:
IEMS. I already own a pair of TMA-1's. I made a post on the last page but no one responded :(
I'm sitting outside the emissions testing center. Probably gonna be 2 hours :/ and my phone's dying, but I'll reply. If you want my advice, I would honestly suggest getting the best pair of IEMs for the money and then connecting that to one of those inline mic adapters (I believe Monster makes one) It's a little inconvenient in that respect, but when you pay for phones with inline/mic capability you're paying a markup for that convenience and the sound quality is gonna be passable for the price you pay. At the 100-200 range, definitely look into the Sony Ex600's. I have a pair and I think the sound represents an excellent value for the money. They perform as well as phones double their price. The GR-7 is also a hot item at the moment, but I personally have not heard them. Those two are going to be your best bet at approximately $130 (Ex600) and $150 (GR-7).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^Buy a FiiO E10.
omgkitty said:
I am in the market for some good IE headphones with a mic, so I decided to check out head-fi.org, only to find some of the most pretentious bullshit I've ever seen. They basically bitch about and shit on just about every set of headphones on the site. Definitely not asking for advice there.

I bought some TMA-1's about 6 months ago and I love them, but I need some IE phones for when the TMA's aren't practical. I also need a mic. I was looking at some stuff like the aiaiai Swirl or possibly the new Bowers & Wilkins C5's. I really like the overall feel of the aiaiai's, with their solid construction and great, warm sound, and would like something close to them as far as the build and sound go. That's why I was looking at the Swirl's. I am looking to spend under $200, with about $180 being the limit (the price of the B&W's). Any advice?
I've heard some good things about the Swirl. Supposedly the sound signature is very similar to the TMA-1, with a bit more emphasis on the bass, but it's not overwhelming the mids and highs.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Big Rig said:
Now I'm contemplating the Grado SR80i, but like all the others, they have super long cords. I don't plan on using these in a studio. Is there something I can replace the 7 foot cord with?
If you have the skills and/or are willing to pay someone to switch cables, it would be less expensive and no more troublesome to shorten the existing cord.

Nassimoluc

Neo Member
Nassimoluc said:
Looking for Walkman type headphones under $100. I have been looking at the AIAIAI Tracks, but I am not really sure if they actually have good sound quality from reviews. I need comfortable, lightweight, and a decent sound quality because I wear them for long periods. I have the PortaPro's but they hurt my ears. Any suggestions?

New page, and no help :\

K.Jack

The Big Rig said:
Any good news on the SOL Republic track headphones? They seem like a fairly competent Beats competitor.
I keep reading about how uncomfortable they are, from user and professional reviews.

But they do compete with Beats in the 'ugly headphones with way too much bass' department.

I'd take a look at the much cheaper Sony MDR-XB500, if I just want a bass monster.

Ashhong

Chorazin said:
I'm running 2.0 beta 3 now, absolutely love it. I have my preamp up to the mid level, with EQ, TONE, and LIMIT off, and it makes these Bose I'm borrowing actually sound pretty good.

Can't wait to get my E11 and M50S tomorrow!

Sounds like you have the exact same setup as me :)

I turned off tone today and didnt notice TOO much of a difference though. The volume output from Poweramp is still way below that of the Music player. I'll try the other options there.

Alucrid

Banned
Well fucking bowl me over, someone actually made a decent pair of IEMs with inline controls :O

I finally have an answer to give people who ask for headphones with mics.

HiResDes said:
This, yes I'm serious if you have the space to accommodate it.

That reminds me, I should get around to seeing how my preamp drives headphones.

Okay, I'll re-phrase my question from the previous page. Can anyone recommend a lightweight, over the ear headphones for travel, that are as comfortable to wear as the Bose Triports/AE2's? Looking for a great mix of sound and comfort to wear for long periods of time.

Are there any on-ear headphones that are around $60-100 and have a 3-4 foot cable, like earbuds? Everything I've seen has the coiled 6-10ft cord.

K.Jack

I was once checking out the CC-51P, but the first few reviews I read went on to say that they are lacking in mid-range and bass, and are a poor choice if you listen to electronic or hip-hop music, but good for jazz and classical. But then some other reviews come in to completely contradict that, so I don't really know whose opinion to to trust without hearing them for myself.

DoomGyver

Sennheiser PC 360 or the 2011 Astro a40s? I already have the astro mix amp. I'm torn between these two, a boom mic is a must. If you own one or both of these let me know your opinions.

bumclot

Can anyone recommend a cheap (~$50-60) pair of headphones with a completely detachable cord? I've lost some good cans because I keep bending the 3.5 jacks.

Was thinking of getting the Shure SRH440 but the deal I wanted on amazon disappeared.

K.Jack

Robobandit said:
I'd love to buy an E10.. where did you get yours?

I haven't seen them in stock anywhere.
In the US? I got one from Micca Store. They're in stock and were shipping within a business day of ordering when I got mine.

I was thinking about getting the Grado SR-60s, but read that there is some noise leakage and can't have that since I'm in an office. I'll also be using these in the public a lot and don't want to look too dopey. Any slick looking ones that keep the sound inside?

HiResDes

Expendable. said:
I was thinking about getting the Grado SR-60s, but read that there is some noise leakage and can't have that since I'm in an office. I'll also be using these in the public a lot and don't want to look too dopey. Any slick looking ones that keep the sound inside?
Avoid anything labeled open, peruse the OP for headphones in your price range, they're listed in order relatively from most expensive to least. I read your OPs, don't skip mine.

HiResDes said:
Avoid anything labeled open, peruse the OP for headphones in your price range, they're listed in order relatively from most expensive to least. I read your OPs, don't skip mine.

I actually clicked on a bunch, but I like my detailed impressions from GAF'ers as well :)

Presco

Full Recovery said:
Sennheiser PC 360 or the 2011 Astro a40s? I already have the astro mix amp. I'm torn between these two, a boom mic is a must. If you own one or both of these let me know your opinions.

I own both plus the PC 350. I've had to have the A40s replaced 3 times in 2 years due to one ear cutting out or the mic breaking. Astro customer service is great, I'll give them that.

In my experience, PC 360 by a mile. They are more comfortable, waaaaay more sturdy, and the sound isn't even comparable. Sound signature on the 360 is very reminiscent of the 595. And it pairs perfectly with the the mixamp as well. PC 350 is also very good if you're looking for a closed option since both the A40 and PC 360 are open.

With that said, I've heard the newer A40s are actually improved in the sound and build quality departments.

thatbox

Banned
Expendable. said:
All open phones "leak," but unless you're listening to them at a volume that damages your hearing, nobody else will hear anything out of your SR-60s in an office setting (or at least nothing that you don't already hear from people rocking out to crappy iPod buds). In fact, with open phones you'll actually be able to hear someone if they're trying to get your attention, so they may even better to use at work than isolating closed phones. On top of that, closed phones almost never sound as good as open phones, and almost always cost more for similar quality, so I really encourage you to stick with your original choice.

I've had mine for seven years or so now, and noise leakage has never been an issue in any reasonable situation. I actually bought a closed pair (ATH-A700s) to use in rare situations where I need the isolation, but they were twice as expensive and don't sound as good as my Grados.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The adapter on my HD 598 and The 3DS' odd placement of the headphone jack on the bottom middle of the system makes playing the 3DS with the headphones pretty awkward.

Izayoi

Banned
Trojita said:
The adapter on my HD 598 and The 3DS' odd placement of the headphone jack on the bottom middle of the system makes playing the 3DS with the headphones pretty awkward.
Yeah. Before I had line running out of it I couldn't play it with my 555s. Whoever decided to put that there should be slapped.

Chorazin

Someone earlier mentioned that they felt their ATH-M50 didn't give them enough bass even with a E11 amp and I got a bit worried...

Holy crap, these things are crushing my skull with no bass boost in PowerAMP's EQ, and the E11 still at 0! The blast beats on the new Amon Amarth are killer. Can't wait to listen to some industrial and hip hop later with the E11's EQ at 1 or 2!

K.Jack

Chorazin said:
Someone earlier mentioned that they felt their ATH-M50 didn't give them enough bass even with a E11 amp and I got a bit worried...

Holy crap, these things are crushing my skull with no bass boost in PowerAMP's EQ, and the E11 still at 0! The blast beats on the new Amon Amarth are killer. Can't wait to listen to some industrial and hip hop later with the E11's EQ at 1 or 2!
Yeah I'm still convinced that something was wrong with those M50s. I didn't even like the headphones much at all, but weak bass definitely wasn't one of my complaints.

Ashhong

That was me. No bass boost and crushing ur skull? I thought something was wrong too so I tested another pair and they sounded the same. I still need 2 bass boost on the e11 and bass boost in poweramp to be happy..

Chorazin

Ashhong said:
That was me. No bass boost and crushing ur skull? I thought something was wrong too so I tested another pair and they sounded the same. I still need 2 bass boost on the e11 and bass boost in poweramp to be happy..

Try turning off EQ and TONE in PowerAMP totally, it lowers the volume so much. Or, if you need EQ, crank the reamp all the way up. Also, your phone should be at MAX volume and youll use the E11 to control the volume. Heavy metal bass sounds awesome at EQ 0 on the E11, and Industrial at EQ 2 is almost too much at high BPM, gotta crank it down to EQ 1. Hip Hop on EQ 2 is perfect, nice, heavy bass beats, almost dark.

And my hearing is shitty, I've been to waaay to many concerts without ear protection. LOL

Ashhong

Chorazin said:
Try turning off EQ and TONE in PowerAMP totally, it lowers the volume so much. Or, if you need EQ, crank the reamp all the way up. Also, your phone should be at MAX volume and youll use the E11 to control the volume. Heavy metal bass sounds awesome at EQ 0 on the E11, and Industrial at EQ 2 is almost too much at high BPM, gotta crank it down to EQ 1. Hip Hop on EQ 2 is perfect, nice, heavy bass beats, almost dark.

And my hearing is shitty, I've been to waaay to many concerts without ear protection. LOL
Cool ill try that. I usually like to leave the volume on the phone about halfway because I prefer the amp to power the sound than the phone, thinking Max volume on the phone might distort the sound, is that wrong?

I don't listen to heavy metal. Its mostly rap, kpop and trance. Nice to know you need the boost at 2 for hip hop as well. Makes me think I'm not crazy lol.

And yea, I've been too many raves and concerts without ear protection, but that's not even it. I don't just wanna hear the bass, I wanna feel it. Turning up the bass in poweramp really really helped this.

Chorazin

Ashhong said:
Cool ill try that. I usually like to leave the volume on the phone about halfway because I prefer the amp to power the sound than the phone, thinking Max volume on the phone might distort the sound, is that wrong?

I don't listen to heavy metal. Its mostly rap, kpop and trance. Nice to know you need the boost at 2 for hip hop as well. Makes me think I'm not crazy lol.

And yea, I've been too many raves and concerts without ear protection, but that's not even it. I don't just wanna hear the bass, I wanna feel it. Turning up the bass in poweramp really really helped this.
No, it doesn't distort the sound at all, cranking headphone volume to max is like Line Out, since that's always outputting at max so the receiver can manage the sound. Your amp is still powering the headphones.

Seriously, I was listening to some hip hop today and the bass was thumping with my EQ flat, phone volume maxed, E11 volume at 3 and EQ 2 on.

Gila

Something awesome happened by accident, I wrapped my cord around my tma-1 to the point it was kinda closing together. It was like this for about 2 hours, and when I tried it on the clamping was awesome. It was noticeably more tighter on my head, seemed to provide more isolation also

Now I'm thinking of doing this when I'm not using it, with a rubber band for more elasticity 

This shouldn't do any harm to the cans right?

K.Jack

I've heard of people doing that with their TMA-1s. It shouldn't be an issue. I've never bothered, because my head is big and my afro is bigger.
HiResDes said:
Although I think you should audition these along with me.
How?

Top Bottom