• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Vire

I'd pity the fool that recommends headphones on aesthetics alone.

How much are you willing to spend?

Hehe, I updated my post to be a little more clear.

vire said:
What would you recommend as far as aesthetics go? (Without compromising sound quality obviously).

Looking for something around the $200 range. I listen to a rather large variety of music, from indie rock to hip hop.

I appreciate any help since I don't really know to much about cans.

scy

What would you recommend as far as aesthetics go? (Without compromising sound quality obviously).

Looking for something around the $200 range. I listen to a rather large variety of music, from indie rock to hip hop.

I appreciate any help since I don't really know to much about cans.

I quite like the aesthetics of the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. They're rather balanced (good bass, excellent mids, treble is a little lacking but not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination). I just got mine today, however, so I'm still in the process of breaking them in a bit so all I have to go off of is first-listen impressions and reviews of them.

fHuKj.jpg

Gila

Do you guys use iTunes Equalizer (if you use iTunes?)

I came across this setting, and it sounds awesome with any genre. Well I'm quite novice in what supposed sound good, but it sounds good to me at least (using TMA-1's)

wzV8L.png

db +3, +6, +9, +7, +6, +5, +7, +9, +11, +8 db

Do you guys know of any other good ones that will sound sick in most genre's or should I stick to the preset ones? Or should I not even be using it

[E/ also I agree with Hires and Yodo, the TMA-1's are aesthetically pleasing)

HiResDes

Do you guys use iTunes Equalizer (if you use iTunes?)

I came across this setting, and it sounds awesome with any genre. Well I'm quite novice in what supposed sound good, but it sounds good to me at least (using TMA-1's)

wzV8L.png

db +3, +6, +9, +7, +6, +5, +7, +9, +11, +8 db

Do you guys know of any other good ones that will sound sick in most genre's or should I stick to the preset ones? Or should I not even be using it

[E/ also I agree with Hires and Yodo, the TMA-1's are aesthetically pleasing)

EQ down, not up, otherwise you'll only increase distortion.

Kukuk

Banned
I actually really like the Skullcandy Aviators. Probably the most surprising headphone I've ever heard. I expected them to be muddy, with the treble cranked way up, with the mids dropped out. What I heard was the sweetest mids I've ever heard in a Skullcandy/Bose/Monster/Crap brand headphone. If their build quality was better I'd completely recommend them without hesitation (though doesn't Skullcandy have lifetime warranties on their headphones?).

X-Frame

(-8, -5, -2, -4, -5, -6, -4, -2, 0, -3)

Doesn't it also depend on what kind of headphones you're using? Such as to match the equalizer with the headphone's strengths, or to make up for it's weaknesses? I thought I read that in this thread a couple months ago ..

LCfiner

Man, it always kinda freaks me out to see such huge EQ swings. When I experiment and use EQ more than 3 dB in any one direction, the sound just feels unnatural.

the only EQ I have now is a "warming" EQ that increases bass response by around 2 dB to fill out some tracks that sound a bit thin.

back when I was getting used to Grados, I had a similarly minor EQ that dropped 10 kHZ and up by around 3 dB. And I eventually just got rid of that one altogether.

different strokes for different folks, I suppose

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
OK, so I'm going to try and redeem myself in this thread.

The Beats Pros are going back, and I just ordered the Ultrasone Pro 900s with a FiiO E7 and the FiiO E3 line out cable. I'm learning that there is such a thing as a basshead audiophile and it seems like there is a pretty heavy consensus that the Ultrasone Pro 900s produce bass that needs to be heard to be believed.

...in all honesty I don't know what that means, but it seems like they are extremely highly recommended, and all the money I spent on the Beats Pros actually cost the same as all of the above.

Impressions of the headphones to come later this week, as I rush ordered those bitches off Amazon. Should have the tomorrow :p

The Beats Pros are fun and pretty, but they are heavy are hardly portable...and the comfort factor is starting to be a problem. Hoping these Ultrasones are as legendary in the bass department as it seems people say.

Keylime

I feel here should be a betting pool for how many cans you return :p

This world of audio quality is full of nuance, it's maddening! Checking out head-fi a lot more, it seems like the bassheads over there all have great things to say about the 900 Pros, and the terms being used to describe them have me excited. Things like "rattling my eardrums" and "shaking felt all the way down to my throat" had me pumped that they may get me the type of bass I'm looking for and just be an overall better headphone for less money, but then putting that money towards the E7 so I can drive them on the go.

I'll be a beginner audiophile if it kills me!

LCfiner

Don't force yourself to live up to someone else's standards.

I do hope you like the Ultrasone 900. but if you don't and prefer something less "respected", don't be put off by the consensus. :)

Keylime

Don't force yourself to live up to someone else's standards.

I do hope you like the Ultrasone 900. but if you don't and prefer something less "respected", don't be put off by the consensus. :)

I'd honestly love sticking with the Beats if they just weren't so damn heavy. I bet if I had a portable amp driving them when I was on the go they'd sound nuts. When it's hooked up my MBP the clarity is night and day.

Hoping on the go to just have my iPhone paired up to the E7 to get that quality on the go.

There's a 300 page thread on head-fi about the Pro 900's being a godsend for bassheads, and the OP of that thread seems to be speaking my language. We'll see :p

scy

OK, so I'm going to try and redeem myself in this thread.

I don't have an issue with the Beats themselves, per se; for a basshead, they're not terrible at doing that. I haven't tried every single Beats iteration so I can't comment on them as a whole but I just don't like the sound quality (on what I like) vs price and the "BEATS ARE GOOD GET THEM FOR EVERYTHING" publicity it gets (i.e., similar to "MONSTER CABLES ARE MOST HDMI-EST").

Plus, my direction towards sound is pretty far away from anything the Beats provide so ... yeah.

That said, the Pro 900s are great at bass, which I feel is quite an understatment. There's a punch to their low end that I haven't heard replicated in any set I've owned/tried. They do sometimes bleed into the mids but that's usually an issue to be cleared up with properly driving it. It's between these and D2000/D5000 for the price range if you're after a bass set.

Keylime

I don't have an issue with the Beats themselves, per se; for a basshead, they're not terrible at doing that. I haven't tried every single Beats iteration so I can't comment on them as a whole but I just don't like the sound quality (on what I like) vs price and the "BEATS ARE GOOD GET THEM FOR EVERYTHING" publicity it gets (i.e., similar to "MONSTER CABLES ARE MOST HDMI-EST").

Plus, my direction towards sound is pretty far away from anything the Beats provide so ... yeah.

That said, the Pro 900s are great at bass, which I feel is quite an understatment. There's a punch to their low end that I haven't heard replicated in any set I've owned/tried. They do sometimes bleed into the mids but that's usually an issue to be cleared up with properly driving it. It's between these and D2000/D5000 for the price range if you're after a bass set.

I think if nothing else, it'll be good that I'm starting to get involved in the DAC/AMP scene of things to drive my headphones going forward. I'm sure I'll drive my wife crazy if I start experimenting with different DAC/AMPs and headphones which should be fun.

For me, I just want the music to make me move and for that I need some hard hitting bass. I appreciate other genres of music of course, but at least 75% of the music I prefer these days has a hard hitting bassline to it.

Glad to hear you agree that these belong in the audiophile basshead category, though!

What should I reasonably expect when I hook these up through the E7? The same sound, just louder? The impedance on the 900 Pros is only 40 Ohms which I believe means that they should be able to be driven by the likes of an iPhone fine without an amp...just not sure what to expect, just to expect "better".

LordCanti

I think if nothing else, it'll be good that I'm starting to get involved in the DAC/AMP scene of things to drive my headphones going forward. I'm sure I'll drive my wife crazy if I start experimenting with different DAC/AMPs and headphones which should be fun.

For me, I just want the music to make me move and for that I need some hard hitting bass. I appreciate other genres of music of course, but at least 75% of the music I prefer these days has a hard hitting bassline to it.

Glad to hear you agree that these belong in the audiophile basshead category, though!

What should I reasonably expect when I hook these up through the E7? The same sound, just louder? The impedance on the 900 Pros is only 40 Ohms which I believe means that they should be able to be driven by the likes of an iPhone fine without an amp...just not sure what to expect, just to expect "better".

I just realized that you've been buying full sized headphones to use on the go. Is there any particular reason you are against solutions that are portable (IEM's, for instance)? I don't see too many people walking around with full sized cans on their heads.

In any case, yeah, the Fiio should provide much more volume than the iPhone, and may sound somewhat better.

scy

My experience with them (which is limited as I don't own a pair myself, they were a loaner set at the time) is that properly driven helped clear up the issue with the mids. Properly amping them made the lows/highs sound more balanced, while still being pronounced, so the mids can actually exist; otherwise, the midrange felt drowned out. Depending on the genre(s) you stick to, this isn't as terrible as it sounds but something to look for when you're going unamped vs amped.

I've seen some bassheads like the M-80s I've mentioned earlier, though my personal experience with them doesn't quite agree with that yet. It's got some punch to the bass, sure, but it doesn't have that great of a sensation to it that I've experienced before. That was literally right out of the box, though, and with it unamped. I only mention these since they're a bit more portable and they came up in some reading this morning on the subject. I'm not familiar with real on-ear bass suggestions, sorry :/

The Denon's (2000/5000, to stay in the price-range here) may be more to your liking (better mids at the cost of some of the bass) but it's hard to say. Probably worth talking about it after you get your current pair so this doesn't interfere with enjoying shiny new toys :)

Keylime

I just realized that you've been buying full sized headphones to use on the go. Is there any particular reason you are against solutions that are portable (IEM's, for instance)? I don't see too many people walking around with full sized cans on their heads.

In any case, yeah, the Fiio should provide much more volume than the iPhone, and may sound somewhat better.

I'm not entirely comfortable using IEMs because apparently my ear canals aren't the same on both sides (I used to have a ton of ear infections as a kid, so maybe it's related to that somehow?). Also don't like how I can hear my own breathing and each step I take and the cord rubbing on my shirt. Just a bit too much, although certainly more portable.

I don't mind carrying around full sized cans in my work bag...since between you an me...the only thing I actually carry around in my work bag are my headphones!

Keylime

My experience with them (which is limited as I don't own a pair myself, they were a loaner set at the time) is that properly driven helped clear up the issue with the mids. Properly amping them made the lows/highs sound more balanced, while still being pronounced, so the mids can actually exist; otherwise, the midrange felt drowned out. Depending on the genre(s) you stick to, this isn't as terrible as it sounds but something to look for when you're going unamped vs amped.

I've seen some bassheads like the M-80s I've mentioned earlier, though my personal experience with them doesn't quite agree with that yet. It's got some punch to the bass, sure, but it doesn't have that great of a sensation to it that I've experienced before. That was literally right out of the box, though, and with it unamped. I only mention these since they're a bit more portable and they came up in some reading this morning on the subject. I'm not familiar with real on-ear bass suggestions, sorry :/

The Denon's (2000/5000, to stay in the price-range here) may be more to your liking (better mids at the cost of some of the bass) but it's hard to say. Probably worth talking about it after you get your current pair so this doesn't interfere with enjoying shiny new toys :)
When you say M-80, you mean the Crossfades from VModa? I own a pair of those as well and the bass clarity on those are good, but the impact and punchiness is sorely lacking.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

scy

When you say M-80, you mean the Crossfades from VModa? I own a pair of those as well and the bass clarity on those are good, but the impact and punchiness is sorely lacking.

Yes, actually, I did mean those. In that case, you're really looking at the Ultrasone 900's, Denon 2000/5000s to get what you want from the bass; 900's will get you far more bass, Denon's a bit more balance while still favoring the bass. There's probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head but those would be at the top of my list.

Keylime

Yes, actually, I did mean those. In that case, you're really looking at the Ultrasone 900's, Denon 2000/5000s to get what you want from the bass; 900's will get you far more bass, Denon's a bit more balance while still favoring the bass. There's probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head but those would be at the top of my list.

Sounds like I'm going down the right path then! Very much looking forward to getting my Pro 900's. Reading the 250+ page thread on Head-Fi is getting me all hot and bothered.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sounds like I'm going down the right path then! Very much looking forward to getting my Pro 900's. Reading the 250+ page thread on Head-Fi is getting me all hot and bothered.
Holy shit you're really getting the Pro 900s? I'm excited!

I would really love to hear these. I'm not a basshead by any means, but I love Ultrasonr bass. It's powerful and very fast and punchy, but without drowning out the mids like Beyerdynamics or Denons do. They're probably lacking that lower midrange hump that I so dislike in headphones.

Keylime

Holy shit you're really getting the Pro 900s? I'm excited!

Indeedily :p

Reading all the reviews talking about how head-shakingly powerful the bass is while still maintaining quality has me pretty excited. What I like so much about the Beats line of headphones is that the bass is tangibly felt vs. just cleanly presented giving songs energy. It sounds like the Pro 900s give that same energy without distorting the other frequencies.

Either way, I'll know firsthand tomorrow night what a true audiophile basshead headphone sounds like.

My opinion isn't going to be as educated as most other in this thread including yourself, but I'm feeling pretty good that these will be the best headphones I've owned to date.

popeutlal

What is a good replacement for the PX 100? I bought one for $30-something, months later the left speaker broke.

Bought another one for about the same price, right speaker broke.

Now the price of the PX100 is twice as high.

Keylime

RubxQub, do you identify yourself as a basshead?

I'm not sure of you're joking :p

I loves me some bass, so if that makes me a basshead, than totally.

Geneijin

No joke. There's needing bass, and then, there's being a basshead. The kind of bass you seek, however, sounds typical of the bassheads on head-fi. It's why that distinction was made, and why they're known as bassheads. Nothing wrong with being a basshead but knowing what you like would make your searches easier. It's the difference between getting the Ultrasone Pro 900 or Denon D5000.

Keylime

No joke. There's needing bass, and then, there's being a basshead. The kind of bass you seek, however, sounds typical of the bassheads on head-fi. It's why that distinction was made, and why they're known as bassheads. Nothing wrong with being a basshead but knowing what you like would make your searches easier. It's the difference between getting the Ultrasone Pro 900 or Denon D5000.

Sounds like I'd be a bass head then. I want my headphones to give it to me hard...I want them to make snoo snoo with my brain.

So I just received my JVC HARX700 headpones and holy shit! These headphones are incredible! By far the best I've ever owned.

I just noticed that after I ordered the price jumped up by $10.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Should have my HE-300s in the next couple days. I'll only have the HARX700, TMA-1, and RE-ZERO to compare them to for now.

I'm thinking about buying the AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones. Anyone here have them?

I and a few others do. You have questions?

Recon

Banned
Should have my HE-300s in the next couple days. I'll only have the HARX700, TMA-1, and RE-ZERO to compare them to though.

I and a few others do. You have questions?

What are the strengths of the TMA-1s? I only have the Sony MDR-7506s for monitoring.

scy

Sounds like I'd be a bass head then. I want my headphones to give it to me hard...I want them to make snoo snoo with my brain.

That's definitely the Pro 900 over Denon. Denon trades off some bass for the midrange; they're more my kind of a bass-centric set than yours by the sound of things.

Ashhong

You sound exactly like me. I am a bass crackhead. Got the Audio Technica M50s as my first real pair of headphones but the bass just isnt there unless I'm driving it pretty hard and also with decent changes to the EQ. I've grown to love them though, but they don't compare to what I heard in 10 seconds on a pair of Beats Studios.

Too broke to upgrade, but I will be looking at the TMA-1 or the Pro 900 when I do.

ChanHuk

Banned
So I think I'm ready to upgrade from my Superlux 681. I like the whole semi-closed aspect of the cans as its a good compromise. I want something with a little more bass. Looking to spend about $100. I was thinking the Alessandro MS1, any thoughts?

HiResDes

So I think I'm ready to upgrade from my Superlux 681. I like the whole semi-closed aspect of the cans as its a good compromise. I want something with a little more bass. Looking to spend about $100. I was thinking the Alessandro MS1, any thoughts?

That would be a bad decision if you're looking for more bass...Pretty much as a rule, the bass on opens cans < closed cans...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD-662B-Monitor-Headphones-Closed-Back-New-662-B-series-/180737424951

Top Bottom