• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Yes Boss!

Alucrid

Banned
31KFASzEtmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Someone buy these and report back.

Alucrid

Banned
What's the link to their page and how much do they cost? I will buy them.

:lol, nah man don't do it. They're $20 for crying out loud. I don't want you wasting your money.

Pineapple Panda Sound Isolating Design Crystal Clear Mega Bass Sound Earphone

With a name like that though, I'm not sure if you can go wrong.

B3ASTMODE

So after about seven or eight months my Samsons kicked the bucket today...The reason? I guess I got a little too careless with them and the cable is busted.

So does anyone in here know any headphones in the 50 to 90 dollar range with a detachable cable? I prefer them to go around the ear, open or closed does not matter and I listen to mostly hip hop so they need at least a little bit of bass but don't need anything amazing and listening straight up through iPod touch/PC

1stStrike

Banned
:lol, nah man don't do it. They're $20 for crying out loud. I don't want you wasting your money.

Pineapple Panda Sound Isolating Design Crystal Clear Mega Bass Sound Earphone

With a name like that though, I'm not sure if you can go wrong.

I'm pretty sure they hit every important keyword with that title lol.

Tokubetsu

Yes, exactly. The more DSP you add in, the more apt to distortion you are. It doesn't take much - just a bit of crystalizer, some tweaking of the equalizer, and the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin in Foobar and you're set. The last is pretty much essential for headphone users, IMO.

Glad I'm not the only one who loves bauer stereophoni-to-binaural

hi, back from the dead lol

just wanted to thank you guys, been rocking my audio technica and the fiio E5, with the line out dock, and, OMG, thank you very much!

i just used some crappy normal headphones, and my god, using the AT's i feel like in heaven!

thank you very much audiophile gaf!

--

also, i'm starting to run, so, any good cheap in ears? i'm looking to spend around 20-40. Used to have some senheiser mx 271 i think, they were labeled for women, but i have fucking little ears (my ears kinda fit inside my AT's lol)

thanks in advance!

Shaneus

As a rule, I never, ever EQ anything over +0dB. If I have to, I just drop everything else down.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the theory is that an EQ isn't an amplifier and shouldn't be increasing the volume of any frequency at all, it should be limiting it.

LCfiner

I ordered a pair of Grado IEMs. the GR8. I should be getting them next week. I haven't bothered with IEMs in a few years but I'm not having much luck getting a pair of compact headphones for walking around that aren't too cumbersome for my tastes. I keep trying and returning different pairs.

the reviews of how these GR8s do the best job around of replicating that forward grado sound got me real curious. plus they're tiny and supposed to be very comfortable.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Coming in here to post what is likely going to get me set on fire. I'll start with the good news:

- I'm selling my Beats Solo HD and should reasonably expect $100+
They served me well, but the resale value of them are just too awesome to ignore​

The bad news (for you):

- I bought a set of white Beats Pros! THE AGONY! AAAH!! WHY! OVERPRICED!!! YOU IDIOT!!!

I don't know what to tell you guys. I've used a shitton of headphones and at the end of the day I want that strong ass bass that shakes my head. I seriously tried to talk myself out of buying them for a long time, but everything I've read about them has actually been incredibly positive with the one consistent knock against them being that they can be incredibly uncomfortable (I've both experienced this and not experienced this on different sessions, need to figure out the sweet spot, but I don't think it'll be a longterm issue for me).

What sealed the deal for me was that even though I appreciate the clarity and rich sound that a quality headphone provided (have been using a set of V-Moda Crossfades for a few months now), the songs that used to get my head bobbing just felt deflated. The crossfades did a great job of shaping the bass...all the bass sounds were clearer than they'd ever been with any other set of headphones I've owned...but the songs lost the energy that that bass brought to the track. I listened to some songs side by side with my Crossfades and my Beats Solos and even though I knew the Crossfades were clearer, the Beats were more fun to listen to. Crossfades actually emphasize the bass, but apparently not to the point that I want.

So I wanted to find something that brought the bass experience of the Beats but brought as much clarity to the table as possible. The Beats Pro seemed to be the best choice out there that hit all my sweet spots:

- Flashy
- Rugged
- Great bass
- Good to Great clarity
- Able to try them extensively before buying

As much as I want to be the guy who's rocking a pair of Ultrasones or AKGs or Denons or Sennheisers or whatever (I seriously do), I can't easily get my hands on any of these headphones to give them a significant spin to "try before I buy".

At Best Buy I was able to stand in the store and drive the headphones with my iPhone for 20 solid minutes trying out every song imaginable and get a feel for everything they had to offer. I loved what I heard, and the only deterring factor was the price. Yes, they cost me an astronomical $400. Yes, I know I could probably get some serious ass headphones from one of the above named companies that "blow the shit out of those shitty ass over-hyped, over-priced Beats". But to me, the cost is worth it because of the build quality, the beauty (subjective of course) and the sound they gave me. I'm willing to overspend if I think I'm getting exactly what I want...so that's what I did.

The biggest downside they have is the portability of them due to their size. They are huge ass honking headphones.

Debated even telling you guys about the purchase, but I was able to dig up a post by HiResDes saying that the Beats Pros were better than Sennheiser HD555s...which kind of made me happy (even though those headphones cost substantially less). Seems like there's a little bit a credibility to this set vs. the others in the Beats lineup.

*puffs up chest and sticks out chin*

I can take it! GIVE IT TO ME!

TxdoHawk

I can take it! GIVE IT TO ME!

I'm no expert, but the way I see it, there are two ways to approach headphone buying:

- Looking for a "clinical" sound that replicates the source material.
or
- Looking for a certain "sound signature", a kind of coloration that is pleasing to you for the kind of music you want to listen to.

I think once you establish you are looking for the latter, everything is fair game. If you like the kind of sound the Beats put out and couldn't find anything comparable you were happy with, who can really argue?

Recon

Banned
Long post about beats!

I tried them out at Best Buy, i really liked their bass. I felt like my ears were thumping. The Beat Pros are not bad at all, they just have a price tag that could net you something far far better. With that said, yeah, they have ridiculous bass.

LCfiner

- I bought a set of white Beats Pros! THE AGONY! AAAH!! WHY! OVERPRICED!!! YOU IDIOT!!!

If you know the type of sound and style you want - and are aware of what you're getting (and not getting) with the beats, then there's no real problem, imo.

The issue I have with the Beats is when there are unsuspecting people who don't really know what else is out there and who want "good sound" get sucked in by the ubiquitous store displays and hype. They may want something better - more neutral - more detailed, but end up with the beats instead because that's what's plastered in their face.

if you want head rattling bass more than anything else, then paying for the beats is, if nothing else, an educated purchase. :)

Keylime

I think I just hate that I have all the information in the world telling me why Beats are impure, but my heart doesn't give a shit what my head has to say about it. It wants what it wants :/

omgkitty

I think I just hate that I have all the information in the world telling me why Beats are impure, but my heart doesn't give a shit what my head has to say about it. It wants what it wants :/

The Beats are like dating a dumb slutty girl. The sex (bass) is great, but beyond that, there is no substance haha

HTuran

Hey, whatever works for you! Sounds like you want something fun and bassy, which is what you'll get.

One question though, didn't you buy the TMA-1s at one point? Did they not work out for you? Just asking as I'm getting them for Birthday/Christmas and can't wait!

Alucrid

Banned

If you bought the beats, like the beats then keep the beats.

LCfiner

If you want bass, you want bass. There might be other headphones that have big bass, but with more detail across the frequency range (D5000 come to mind) but most of them won't be as exaggerated as you want or as friendly for portable use, with thick, 10 ft cables.

I can relate to a lesser extent, it's like my infatuation with Grado headphones. I know it's not a totally balanced, neutral sound. but, my god, it's so fun that I always need to ahvea good pair of them around (but in the opposite way of the Beats. they're bass lite but sound incredibly quick and in-your-face for rock)

Davidion

Are any of the headphones discounted here "better" than the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's?

I love them, although they are pretty uncomfortable for me because they really put pressure on my temples it seems. I know a lot of other people said the same thing in reviews of them.

The higher end IEMs (only the triplefi 10s as far as I see) and maybe the ATs are on par or a little better.

It's not a really meaty sale if you already have decent mid-range cans.

Keylime

Hey, whatever works for you! Sounds like you want something fun and bassy, which is what you'll get.

One question though, didn't you buy the TMA-1s at one point? Did they not work out for you? Just asking as I'm getting them for Birthday/Christmas and can't wait!

I did have the TMA-1s ordered, but cancelled that order before they shipped and went with the V-Moda Crossfades instead. Seemed like they were pretty much the same idea: on-ear headphone with great clarity and a slight emphasis on the bass. Never used them, but I think they look incredible. On Head-Fi I noticed that the Crossfades and the TMA-1s are both in the top 3 on-ear headphones reviewed by the community.

I'm sure you'll love them, man. My Crossfades are sticking around in case I ever get into a softer music phase or something :)

HTuran

I did have the TMA-1s ordered, but cancelled that order before they shipped and went with the V-Moda Crossfades instead. Seemed like they were pretty much the same idea: on-ear headphone with great clarity and a slight emphasis on the bass. Never used them, but I think they look incredible. On Head-Fi I noticed that the Crossfades and the TMA-1s are both in the top 3 on-ear headphones reviewed by the community.

I'm sure you'll love them, man. My Crossfades are sticking around in case I ever get into a softer music phase or something :)

Ah, cheers for the clarification! I haven't had a chance to check the TMA-1s out either, but it seems very few people have a bad word to say about them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

So you haven't even heard the Crossfades yet? What if they sound better than the Beats....?

TheMan

Guys

I'm looking for headphone recommendations but this thread is just too big to comb through. My price range is 60 or less preferably under 50. Thank very much audiophile-GAF.

edit:
are Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XBs any good?

omgkitty

Anyone have the BOSE IE2s? They good for $89? Or can I get better earbuds?

My mom has a pair and they sound terrible to me. The bass is so overblown it makes everything sound muffled and distant. Maybe I just wasn't used to them, but I hated the sound. You will pretty much find just about anyone in here will never recommend Bose.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My mom has a pair and they sound terrible to me. The bass is so overblown it makes everything sound muffled and distant. Maybe I just wasn't used to them, but I hated the sound. You will pretty much find just about anyone in here will never recommend Bose.

Hmm, so what would you (or you all) suggest? I'd like a great pair of earbuds for under $150 (under $100 preferably). Not sure what to look into.

omgkitty

Hmm, so what would you (or you all) suggest? I'd like a great pair of earbuds for under $150 (under $100 preferably). Not sure what to look into.

I have asked that question here several times, and I have gotten several different answers, but I am too picky to make up my mind. HiResDes will probably know better than anyone, but he always seems to recommend these to me and several others.

Karish

I want to buy a pair of headphones today.

Currently debating between the JVC HA-RX700s and the Samson SR850s. I use my headphones while the girlfriend sleeps in the other room.

I also have the Ear Force DDS 7.1 sound processor for my gaming systems, and that's the main reason I'm upgrading from my Senheisser HD202s.

I would have already gotten the SR850s but I'm worried about leakage. How bad is it!? Will I be able to game at night while she sleeps in the other room without bothering her?

Any other recommendations in the ~$50 range given the parameters I've laid out above?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Heaphones will not bother someone who's sleeping in a different room.

What's your main genre of music? There's a lot of choices for a budget like that.

ElyrionX

At Best Buy I was able to stand in the store and drive the headphones with my iPhone for 20 solid minutes trying out every song imaginable and get a feel for everything they had to offer. I loved what I heard, and the only deterring factor was the price. Yes, they cost me an astronomical $400. Yes, I know I could probably get some serious ass headphones from one of the above named companies that "blow the shit out of those shitty ass over-hyped, over-priced Beats". But to me, the cost is worth it because of the build quality, the beauty (subjective of course) and the sound they gave me. I'm willing to overspend if I think I'm getting exactly what I want...so that's what I did..

Don't Beats headphones spoil quite easily?

Keylime

Don't Beats headphones spoil quite easily?

Not sure what you mean by spoil. The Beats Pro are pretty much entirely made out of metal and weigh like a pound. Can't find a review out there that doesn't applaud their build quality.

The Studios and the Solo HDs on the other hand are made with plastic and feel pretty cheap in comparison.

Keylime

Something else I noticed with the Beats Pro: there is a DRAMATIC difference in at least volume when they're being driven by my iPhone 4S and my Macbook Pro. On my Macbook Pro they are insanely loud. Like I was comfortably listening to them on 1 volume notch...5 or 6 was all I needed to "crank it up".

Meanwhile on my iPhone to get the same levels I need to crank it to 80%+.

I'm guessing this is where the amp stuff comes into play? Instead of forcing my iPhone to crank out higher volumes, I use the amp to just increase what it's putting out with minimal audio degradation?

Something else I noticed with the Beats Pro: there is a DRAMATIC difference in at least volume when they're being driven by my iPhone 4S and my Macbook Pro. On my Macbook Pro they are insanely loud. Like I was comfortably listening to them on 1 volume notch...5 or 6 was all I needed to "crank it up".

I'm guessing this is where the amp stuff comes into play? Instead of forcing my iPhone to crank out higher volumes, I use the amp to just increase what it's putting out with minimal audio degradation?
You got it. They aren't efficient enough to be driven by your iPhone since they are full sized cans.

LordCanti

Generally speaking, getting an amp isn't about "making the volume louder" as much as it is properly controlling the drivers.

I don't know the impedance of the beats, but I doubt they're designed with amps in mind. Most consumer friendly gear isn't. Having said that, iPhone's are notoriously weak in terms of audio output.

Keylime

Looks like I need to add one of those portable amp things to my Xmas list!

Top Bottom