• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

cory.

Banned
I went with a basic Kindle and HD 203s (wanted closed over ear for under $40) instead of only getting the M50's for Christmas.

LordCanti

Geneijin

doesn't the beats pro come with some sort of built in amp? or is it active noise cancellation that it does? I thought one of those models used batteries
It's both. The ones that use a battery function as a built-in audio amplifier like a bass booster and noise canceling feature.

Apparently they are indeed knockoffs of the AKG. EVERYTHING I have read about the Superlux brand has been glowing.
Superlux are great phones and weren't budget champions for nothing (still are).

Edit: If those CAD's are truly a rebranded Superlux, then you haven't made a bad choice at all. The Samson SR850 are also known as a rebranded Superlux 668b, and both are more or less the same with slight differences.

Geneijin

Ah, no wonder I've never heard of it. So few impressions on them.

My only concern is that since I'm going to be using Dolby Headphone, I should have gotten open headphones for a larger sound-stage...
Why didn't you get the Samson SR850 you asked about earlier then? D:

Quotes:
Just wanted to make some comments on the CAD MH310 - a rebranded Superlux HD662F. I will be referring to them as HD662F for the remainder of whatever this is im writing to avoid confusion tongue.gif. I bought a pair Superlux HD681 at the same time and will just compare the two, along with a few others.

- The MH310's seem solidly built; abit more sturdy than the HD681's and my old Samson SR850's (another rebranded Superlux). They have different pads from the HD681, SR850; they're thicker, softer, and more comfortable. One thing that bothers me a bit, there is very slight driver flex when I put them on or adjust them after a few hours of use. First time ive had this happen to me on a pair of full-sized headphones. Guess it might just be my pair.

@ Soundstage - HD681 > HD662F

@@@ Wider and deeper on the HD681 (SR850 is about the same as HD681 FWIR) because of the semi-closed design.The HD662F's is pretty large, though, for a closed headphone.

@Imaging, separation, layering - HD681 = HD662F

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Can you only buy Dac/Amp things online or what? I can't seem to find anywhere that actually has these that I could drive over to.

JoeMartin

LCD-2 rev 2's got here today.

Still have a lot of work to do before I can make a fair comparison. Definitely darker than my HD600s. There is literally zero harshness or sibilance to the high end, even having EQ'd the hell out of it, and without any loss to definition; the smackpop of a snare sounds just as real, but without the accompanying small cringe. Often noted low end definitely holds true.

LCfiner

Guitar Center.

do they have more selection in the store than online? cuz their online selection of headphone amps is pretty awful. I don’t see a single, small portable amp for Rub’s use case.

If all Rub needs is a volume boost on the headphones for the iPhone, an E6 or E11 from Fiio should do the trick. they’re cheap and small and decent quality for the money.

Karish

Why didn't you get the Samson SR850 you asked about earlier then? D:

Quotes:

Because I was worried about leakage bothering my girlfriend when she is trying to sleep. This is the primary time I use headphones. If people in this thread think the Samson SR850s don't leak that bad, I will cancel and get those! But from what I've heard, they have a fair amount of leak, so I was nervous about them...

LordCanti

This looks like the section they'd be in, but I can't find anything in there that seems to fit the bill really.

What is it you're looking for exactly?

How about the founder of Head-Fi? http://www.head-fi.org/products/sr850-professional-studio-reference-headphones/reviews/5573

"By the way, if you want a closed version of this headphone, the CAD Audio MH310 is this headphone, but closed back."

I thought Jude founded head-fi. In any case, if they are definitely the same, and you want them, I say go for it.

What LC is getting at really. Something like the E11 seems to be up my alley.

Aah. Yeah, the Fiio should work wonders.

Keylime

Geneijin

Because I was worried about leakage bothering my girlfriend when she is trying to sleep. This is the primary time I use headphones. If people in this thread think the Samson SR850s don't leak that bad, I will cancel and get those! But from what I've heard, they have a fair amount of leak, so I was nervous about them...
One thing to keep in mind about MalVeauX is that he's known to be pretty adamant against the AD700 (for good reasons). Despite that, I'm generally in his camp about the Samson SR850 > AD700.

Still, if he thinks the CAD-MH310 is a closed Samson SR850, then the differences must be minuscule not to be noteworthy. Get them. The Samson SR850 leaks about as much as the Superlux 668b, and it can be bothersome even if you and your girlfriend are a room apart depending on how loudly you listen at night.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Which would be a better upgrade? Going from HD 580s to HD 598s as my open phones for home, or going from Denon D1000s to D2000s for my closed phones at work?

Karish

One thing to keep in mind about MalVeauX is that he's known to be pretty adamant against the AD700 (for good reasons). Despite that, I'm generally in his camp about the Samson SR850 > AD700.

Still, if he thinks the CAD-MH310 is a closed Samson SR850, then the differences must be minuscule not to be noteworthy. Get them. The Samson SR850 leaks about as much as the Superlux 668b, and it can be bothersome even if you and your girlfriend are a room apart depending on how loudly you listen at night.

THANK YOU. This is what I needed to hear to put me a ease! The leakage is bad... That's all I needed to hear. I'm sure the Samson's are great, they just don't fit my needs.

LCfiner

Which would be a better upgrade? Going from HD 580s to HD 598s as my open phones for home, or going from Denon D1000s to D2000s for my closed phones at work?

my understanding is that the 598 is not an upgrade to the 580.

the 580 is, with some cosmetic changes, actually the HD600, which is Senn’s higher end model. they changed the branding a while back.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/

It seemed clear that the HD580 was quite a successful product, and on Sennheiser’s 50th Anniversary in 1995, the HD580 Jubilee Edition was released. The Jubilee is a limited edition version of the HD580 with a glossy carbon fiber look finish, a special box and special certificates. After the limited edition release is finished, Sennheiser continued the Jubilee into a regular production in 1996 as the HD600 (though without the certificate and the carbon fiber finishing). The HD600 supposedly have better acoustics and tighter driver matching than the HD580, although I can’t seem to differentiate the sound between the two (when you’ve changed the grills on the HD580, more on that later below).

D1000 ----> D2000 is night and fucking day, bro. The D1000's aren't in the same league as the D2000/5000/7000 line, though I understand that the naming convention could lead one to believe there is a similarity.

I can't speak for the 580's and 598's to give perspective on the difference in upgrade between the 4 cans your talking about, but yes...D2000 >>>>>>>> D1000.

Geneijin

THANK YOU. This is what I needed to hear to put me a ease! The leakage is bad... That's all I needed to hear. I'm sure the Samson's are great, they just don't fit my needs.
To be fair, I did a makeshift test and didn't have an actual person to help me. From memory, I don't think it's that bad, but the noise level in the testing was audible enough to say it could be a problem for some others.

Karish

To be fair, I did a makeshift test and didn't have an actual person to help me. From memory, I don't think it's that bad, but the noise level in the testing was audible enough to say it could be a problem for some others.

I'd rather play it safe than sorry. For surround sound gaming, would semi-open really make that big of a difference?

LordCanti

my understanding is that the 598 is not an upgrade to the 580.

the 580 is, with some cosmetic changes, actually the HD600, which is Senn’s higher end model. they changed the branding a while back.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/

I've seen comparison shots of the 598 and the 555 that left me fairly certain that they were probably identical. The difference being the sound killing foam in the 555's, and the aesthetics of the 598's.

I find it hard to suggest them, when the 555's can be had for so much less. With five minutes of modding, the 555's turn into cans that are pretty much identical to the 595's, which are likely identical to the 598's as well.

They sure do look nice though.

(TL;DR: I agree)

I dunno. The E11 is so bass heavy, I'm not sure it would positively benefit Beats.

Isn't bass the whole point of beats?

Other than wearing them as some sort of fashion accessory

Keylime

Don't these things have adjustable settings, or minimally a bass boost on/off type of action going on?

I'm not looking to enhance the sound really, just bring out the joy and wonder that already exists in them.

LCfiner

Don't these things have adjustable settings, or minimally a bass boost on/off type of action going on?

I'm not looking to enhance the sound really, just bring out the joy and wonder that already exists in them.

E11 has two levels of bass boost. I get the feeling at level 2 that you would start to hear nasty distortion with the beats since they already boost bass levels.

the E11 does not sound bass heavy at all to my ears when the bass switch is turned down. I have no idea if it will improve details or soundstage with the beats, but it’s powerful as hell so volume will not be a problem.

Geneijin

For surround sound gaming, would semi-open really make that big of a difference?
Between the Samson SR850 and CAD-MH310? Yes and no judging by the reviews. Are the differences easily noticeable? Not really. Are they perceivable? Definitely. Would they matter to you much? Depends. I'd say no. However, if you value the small nuances enough to label them a big difference, then I probably would it is if I wanted the best competitive advantage.

Ashhong

Was wondering, is there any difference between the in ear silicone tips that look like 2 stacked together, and one that are just the normal single tip?

Karish

Between the Samson SR850 and CAD-MH310? Yes and no judging by the reviews. Are the differences easily noticeable? Not really. Are they perceivable? Definitely. Would they matter to you much? Depends. I'd say no. However, if you value the small nuances enough to label them a big difference, then I probably would it is if I wanted the best competitive advantage.

Great. I'm not an audiophile at all. Got the DDS for immersion. I think I'll be happy with the 662Fs/CAD-MH310s. I'll let you all know.

Geneijin

The SR850 is like the Superlux 668b, and the SR850 is like a closed CAD-MH310, yet the Superlux 662F is like the CAD-MH310.

Reading that almost makes my head hurt. This may be a problem in the future.

Zeth

Wow, just checked out Amazon's deals, looks like they have a ton of stuff on sale.

I think I want the D2000 or M50s to compliment my SR225i so I have something with fuller bass for electronic stuff.

What are prices like on those? Amazon any good? Any other phones I should consider? Right now I'm using a PA2V2 portable amp from that awesome Canadian guy. They make the Grados sound awesome.

Edit: TripleFi 10s for $170?! Should I get them and hope they aren't super uncomfortable?

Geneijin

It's already happening D:

I think I want the D2000 or M50s to compliment my SR225i so I have something with fuller bass for electronic stuff.
Amazon.com usually sells the Denon AH-D2000 at MSRP: $350. Instead of paying that much, you can call J&R, speak with one of their sales rep, and get them for $250. Best price you'll ever get for a brand new one at a renown retailer... unless you're good at haggling or luck out at a J&R sale. You can get one for as low as $200. I know some people who got them for $180 during the last Labor Day sale.

LordCanti

Wow, just checked out Amazon's deals, looks like they have a ton of stuff on sale.

What are prices like on those? Amazon any good? Any other phones I should consider? Right now I'm using a PA2V2 portable amp from that awesome Canadian guy. They make the Grados sound awesome.

Edit: TripleFi 10s for $170?! Should I get them and hope they aren't super uncomfortable?

They were $95 on black friday. Should be able to find someone trying to flip them for less than $170.

I'm getting mine reshelled because of how uncomfortable they are. Putting them in is like ear rape.

I've been lurking since before I've been approved, but I still have no idea what kind of headphones to get... beats look nice, but are overpriced of course. ;_;

Vire

What is GAF's thoughts on Skull Candy's? Are they worse or better than Beats?

I stumbled upon these and I couldn't help but be struck by their aesthetics.

410uLllg%2BCL._SS400_.jpg

Vire

Skullcandy are just cheap garbage for the most part.

What would you recommend as far as aesthetics go? (Without compromising sound quality obviously).

Looking for something around the $200 range. I listen to a rather large variety of music, from indie rock to hip hop.

I appreciate any help since I don't really know to much about cans.

Top Bottom