• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Oh man, you know I want too. ;)

However, from what others have told me in the last few pages they just don't fit the criteria of accurate sound representation that I critically need.

I feel they'll just end up giving me a completely inaccurate picture of the audio levels (albeit better than my cx300s). Their punchy bass response in my little demo proved that, the other day.

I really think those KRK 8400s would be perfect for you, more than any other closed headphone in the price range.

ramyeon

Received a pair of Beats Studios as a gift from a friend last week, wouldn't be my choice, but as a gift it's fine. However I went to use them today and they weren't working. Opened the battery compartment to find battery liquid all through it. The packed-in batteries had leaked. Gonna go in and try to exchange them today as I have the receipt, that's pretty inexcusable for such an expensive product. Not impressed.

shira

Received a pair of Beats Studios as a gift from a friend last week, wouldn't be my choice, but as a gift it's fine. However I went to use them today and they weren't working. Opened the battery compartment to find battery liquid all through it. The packed-in batteries had leaked. Gonna go in and try to exchange them today as I have the receipt, that's pretty inexcusable for such an expensive product. Not impressed.

The batteries don't come installed.

ramyeon

I think his point was how did you not notice the leak before hand, when you installed them? Or did they start leaking after you installed them?
You answered the question for yourself. Of course I would have noticed if it were before hand.

Is it customary to treat people who post in this thread for the first time like they're stupid?

The problem getting your hands on these is that as soon as some come in stock they are pretty much sold out. That goes for the Fa 003's atleast. Here are some places.

http://shop.frogbeats.com/
http://gd-audiobase.com/

It seemed like the store that sold Fischer audio products in Canada and shipped worldwide isn't up anymore. Those sites i listed though will ship worldwide and gd audiobase seems to have the fa 003 in-stock.

The Fischer Audio FA-006 and FA-004 are the same price on frogbeats. Anything better about the FA-006's? I'd have to buy a smaller cord (if it even has a removable cord) if I wanted to use them on the move.

HiResDes

As it says on the site, the 006 are budget studio monitors, meaning they're going to be more neutral and have less of a bass emphasis.

HTuran

You answered the question for yourself. Of course I would have noticed if it were before hand.

Is it customary to treat people who post in this thread for the first time like they're stupid?

Christ, all they did was ask questions. It's uncommon to install a battery and to then have it leak a week later.

ramyeon

Christ, all they did was ask questions. It's uncommon to install a battery and to then have it immediately leak, and then blame the headphone manufacturer.
If it's packaged in with the headphones of course it's on the manufacturer's hands. That's quality control.

The problem being that the leaked battery fluid probably got inside and can easily cause corrosion later on down the road.

shira

wikipedia said:
Leaks
Leaked alkaline battery
Alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic agent that can cause respiratory, eye and skin irritation This can be avoided by not attempting to recharge disposable alkaline cells, not mixing different battery types in the same device, replacing all of the batteries at the same time, storing in a dry place, and removing batteries for storage of devices.
It is usually the batteries or the user.

Were they duracells?

Ashhong

I'm still confused by the whole thing. Were the batteries leaking while inside the headphones? Or were they leaking in their own little packaging, separated from the headphones?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm still confused by the whole thing. Were the batteries leaking while inside the headphones? Or were they leaking in their own little packaging, separated from the headphones?

Headphones come with the headphones and batteries separately. After opening the package the batteries were unwrapped and put into the headphones. Leakage was detected after putting in the batteries and the batteries prior to insertion were not leaking.

Ashhong

Headphones come with the headphones and batteries separately. After opening the package the batteries were unwrapped and put into the headphones. Leakage was detected after putting in the batteries and the batteries prior to insertion were not leaking.

Ah ok, just seemed weird because it sounds like he put the batteries in, which were not leaking at the time, turned on the phones, heard nothing, and discovered that the batteries were leaking. All within the span of 2 minutes.

ramyeon

Yeah that's right. Like I said, the headphones were a week old so it didn't happen immediately. They were fine for a week. Anyway just went to the store and they gladly exchanged them for a new pair - so all's well that ends well I guess!

dmshaposv

I really think those KRK 8400s would be perfect for you, more than any other closed headphone in the price range.

I actually replied to you a bit earlier, apparently there isn't a KRK reseller in my country (U.A.E) and international shipping isn't an option (costs a whole lot at customs and takes ages to deliver). Their website mentions a reseller but they only sell the rockit sound systems.

What would be the next best option? Should I consider the Shure SRH 840s as those are readily available. Or should I wait till the KRKs become available (whenever that maybe) or get something else entirely.

OK i ended up with the CEntrance DACMini - i read the reviews and saw that it made the cover of stereophile and it came very highly recommended. Got that paired with the Audiotechnica ATH-A900 headphones. They were clearer and had a lot more punch than the a700s. I listened to the Beyerdynamic Dt880 Pros and a decent high end set of grados. I thought the A900s were more the sound i was looking after.

Cant wait to get back to Dubai and set these all up. Such nice clear and powerful sounds at a decent price.

HiResDes

I actually replied to you a bit earlier, apparently there isn't a KRK reseller in my country (U.A.E) and international shipping isn't an option (costs a whole lot at customs and takes ages to deliver). Their website mentions a reseller but they only sell the rockit sound systems.

What would be the next best option? Should I consider the Shure SRH 840s as those are readily available. Or should I wait till the KRKs become available (whenever that maybe) or get something else entirely.
Actually I think the 840s are going to be your best bet then. You could try buying them from their website too

Okay, so I know next to nothing about headphones, so I'm hoping someone in this thread can help me out.

I currently own a pair of Shure E2c in-ear headphones, and I would love them if they didn't systematically break every 9 months. I've gone through 6 different pairs (thanks to the warranty), and while I love the quality and fit of the buds, I'm kind of at the end of my rope with them.

Now, I have a ton of gift certificates for this site:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/home.aspx

It's pretty much the Canadian Best Buy.

So, my question is: are there any headphones on that site that are as good as, if not better than the ones I'm used to that you would recommend? Keep in mind I'm looking to stay in-ear.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

kevm3

Please, don't bring the crazy tweako audiophilia myths down here.

The only reason the HD600 work better with amps is becuase they've got a whopping 300 impedance which it is because they're designed to be used at home and thus plugged into home audio gear.

There are plenty 300$ headphones designed with lower impedance that work as good as they're going to work off a portable player (although you can often get a better noise floor and channel separation off a dedicated amp, due to the compromises in designing the amp section of a portable player).

There is no myth in what i stated. There are expensive headphones that happen to be sensitive enough that you can power them out of an iphone and get 'sufficient volume', but that doesn't mean you will be maximizing their quality. It is a waste to buy expensive and highly 'revealing' headphones if you aren't going to eventually put high quality electronics in front of them.

I highly disagree with the notion that a highly revealing headphone that happens to be sensitive will sound exactly or nearly the same plugged into an iphone or some portable as it will to a properly matched and high quality amp/preamp and dac.

kevm3

Bleh...I think I'm doubling on my HA-160 + Bitfrost decision...at least for now.

Just going to content myself with my Maverick D1 for the time being. No sense in buying things all at once, especially when I was looking at spending $1100 of source/amp gear for $250 headphones.

AKG 701's, although they are $250 headphones, have a VERY high ceiling when it comes to being paired with appropriate gear. Similar to a Sennheiser, I wouldn't be surprsied to see those headphones paired with amps costing in the ball park of $2,000 and up in some setups.

What I would do in your situation is to go to the head-fi used section and purchase equipment off of there. I love purchasing used audio equipment. You get much mroe quality for your dollar, and if you did proper research, you will be able to sell for around what you bought it for or even more in the event you don't like what you bought or you are ready for an upgrade.

Based on sound quality for the dollar, when it comes to DACs, MHDT Paradisea's are seen as a very nice value. They are tubed, which will also give you sound tweaking options. As for amp, I'll have to look into that since it's been a while since I've purchased an amp for headphones.

ElyrionX

im in Singapore right now and looking to pick up a decent set of headphones with a DAC/Amp.

The set i am looking at is the Audio Technica ATH-A700s. The amp is a C Entrance Dacmini.

I listened to a set of those Beyer DT880s or whatever and really didnt like them. THe A700s hit hard and had fantastic bass.

Is there anything i should know about either of these units or are they worth it? I woud be using my laptop/USB Hard drive as the source running FLAC files or MP3s. Thanks

I'm from Singapore. Which shop are you going to? Jaben or Stereo? PM me if you need more info.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yum, Fedex delivers at 9AM now? HE-300 is on my ears as I type this.

Now what the hell should I listen to guys?

Notice the coiled cable that goes into the headband.

Holy shit I was tripping. Between having not physically seen my TMA-1s for a couple weeks, and the HE-300 being on my mind, I was thinking that they had a cord go into each ear cup.

omgkitty

Okay, so I have asked about IEM's several times now, but what I want keeps changing. My original limitation is that I wanted a mic, but that's really not that important to me. I'm graduating in about a week and will also (HOPEFULLY) start a full time job. Also with it being Christmas, this is the perfect time to buy myself a good gift.

I want some IEM's around the $100 to $200 range. I need something that is durable with good isolation and minimal leakage. If I can't get durable, I want something with a great warranty as I know several companies have no-ask swap policies. I already own the TMA-1's like most people know, and they are awesome for what I normally listen to. This includes mostly indie rock/pop, electronic, IDM, EDM, dance, some hip-hop/rap, and also some classical/jazz. I wan't something with a different sound signature. I know the TMA-1's are dark and more focused in certain areas. I am not really a huge bass head. I enjoy my bass to a certain degree and I enjoy the sort of preciseness the TMA's give me. I've looked at certain headphones, even heavily contemplating the Brainwavz B2's for a while, but I am not 100% sure dual armature is for me. I have never actually heard any however, so I can't really comment. Also looking at the Vsonic Gr07, but I don't really know anything about them. I also should be getting an Fiio e10 soon, so everything in general should sound more awesome.

Any chance of a response on my question from someone?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The Ultrasone Pro 900's fared well on the train this morning. I bought a pimp ass new bag to take to work that is much smaller (since I never take my laptop home and will never need to) and it fits everything in there wonderfully. It's basically my iPad/Headphone bag, but makes me look professional since I have a workbag...at least thats what I tell myself.

Isolation was better than I had given it credit for. With a modest volume I was able to drown out the train noise. Honestly can't tell how much leakage could be heard from the person sitting next to me, but no noticeable distraction.

At lower volumes I'm putting the bass boost on the E7 up to 1, on higher volumes I shift it back down to 0. Plenty of presence without it when I'm at home rocking.

Clarity on the cans is sticking out more and more...probably as it should since I'm coming from a world of high frequency destroying headphones to these (Beats Pros, Beats Solo HD, Beats Tour). Now I get to have my cake and eat it too with these monsters.

...plus they kept my ears warm as I waited for the train in below-freezing temperatures!

TheExodu5

Banned
AKG 701's, although they are $250 headphones, have a VERY high ceiling when it comes to being paired with appropriate gear. Similar to a Sennheiser, I wouldn't be surprsied to see those headphones paired with amps costing in the ball park of $2,000 and up in some setups.

What I would do in your situation is to go to the head-fi used section and purchase equipment off of there. I love purchasing used audio equipment. You get much mroe quality for your dollar, and if you did proper research, you will be able to sell for around what you bought it for or even more in the event you don't like what you bought or you are ready for an upgrade.

Based on sound quality for the dollar, when it comes to DACs, MHDT Paradisea's are seen as a very nice value. They are tubed, which will also give you sound tweaking options. As for amp, I'll have to look into that since it's been a while since I've purchased an amp for headphones.

Oh, for sure. I see myself putting money into a proper setup at some point, by my decision was far too hasty. 1 day of "research" isn't enough. And you're right, I should be looking for used gear. The Burson is available for ~$450-$500 used, which is a hell of a lot less than the $700 + duties I would have to pay from Burson.

Also, I regretted not auditioning a pair of Stax headphones before making such a large purchase. I have a feeling they might really suit my tastes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There is no myth in what i stated. There are expensive headphones that happen to be sensitive enough that you can power them out of an iphone and get 'sufficient volume', but that doesn't mean you will be maximizing their quality. It is a waste to buy expensive and highly 'revealing' headphones if you aren't going to eventually put high quality electronics in front of them.

I highly disagree with the notion that a highly revealing headphone that happens to be sensitive will sound exactly or nearly the same plugged into an iphone or some portable as it will to a properly matched and high quality amp/preamp and dac.

Clearly, you've never been to a blind listening test. Properly designed electronics sound the same, because there's nothing magic about music reproduction. You're falling prey to marketing and clever manipulation of psychoacoustics and conned into spending way more than you need to.

Really, nothing will remove the blind over your eyes and make you realize the king is naked than experiencing a blind test by yourself, but why don't you read about one?

The guys at Matrix Hifi started as audiophiles and they began conducting blind listening tests in order to find the best audio components... the components they're using on the tests are their own.

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

They conducted many tests, but unfortunately only one report is translated into english =/

Any chance of a response on my question from someone?

Well, if you've never heard the phones in question, all you can do is trust hearsay and the ears of others. Also, the number of drivers or armatures is really inconsequential. It all lies in how the drivers/arms are tuned. More doesn't always equate to better. There are plenty of single armature IEMs that deliver excellent sound. It's difficult to narrow down any solid candidates since your criteria are difficult to meet.

A combo of durable, highly isolating and offering a good and specific sig is hard to pin down. Most phones may have a good sound sig, but will be lacking in terms of isolation and/or durability. I've found that most phones will eventually fail on you no matter how robust in design they may seem nor how well you baby them (my DDM's strain relief has failed due to a straight jack design and my FX500 has shorted on the left side), and that a modular or replaceable cable system is best, but those are only available for a handful of phones. I'd add the Sony Ex600 and the Phonak Audeo PFE to your list for considerations as well. The former has a replaceable cable feature, and the latter carries a 2 year warranty as well as replaceable audio filters to cater to both the analytical and more consumer oriented listener.

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of noise cancelling headphones for my dad. Basically he just wants something to block out the background noise when on an airplane or whatever. Preferably I'd get something in the $100-$200 range, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if it's worth it. Also, he doesn't like earbuds or in-ear phones, but since he wants to take them places I'm still looking for something that's reasonably portable. Thanks in advance!

Kambing

I view this thread every so often because i used to freaking love headphones. I still do but after moving continents i was finally able to purchase speakers and a sub at a reasonable price! I would appreciate it if someone could give me their impressions and or answer to my questions.

Basically i am getting an itch to have a nice set headphones again, not for the sound quality(i have the Versus Grand Tower's from Aperion) but because of the intimacy they provide. Well, that and the fact that you can listen to them as loud as you'd like haha. I am just really freaking confused about all this DAC/preamp shit that goes along with headphones.

So my question is, if i were to get the Sennheiser HD 800, or something comparable say from AKG, what type of components would i be looking at to drive the headphones optimally? I mean for the speakers i know my shit, but for headphones i'm really clueless and there seems to be a lack of info regarding what components go good with things etc.

I am assuming my receiver will not be enough to power the headphones, that much i am sure of. Last question is, if someone here has something similar going on with their setup i would like to ask: What is the difference when listening to high end headphones compared to high end tower speakers?

Sorry for the long post, did not realize i wanted to say so much -_-

kevm3

I view this thread every so often because i used to freaking love headphones. I still do but after moving continents i was finally able to purchase speakers and a sub at a reasonable price! I would appreciate it if someone could give me their impressions and or answer to my questions.

Basically i am getting an itch to have a nice set headphones again, not for the sound quality(i have the Versus Grand Tower's from Aperion) but because of the intimacy they provide. Well, that and the fact that you can listen to them as loud as you'd like haha. I am just really freaking confused about all this DAC/preamp shit that goes along with headphones.

So my question is, if i were to get the Sennheiser HD 800, or something comparable say from AKG, what type of components would i be looking at to drive the headphones optimally? I mean for the speakers i know my shit, but for headphones i'm really clueless and there seems to be a lack of info regarding what components go good with things etc.

I am assuming my receiver will not be enough to power the headphones, that much i am sure of. Last question is, if someone here has something similar going on with their setup i would like to ask: What is the difference when listening to high end headphones compared to high end tower speakers?

Sorry for the long post, did not realize i wanted to say so much -_-

If you already have your choice source components, all you would need is a headphone amp. A receiver is essentially a DAC/preamp/amp in one combination, or otherwise known as an integrated. "Separates," on the other hand, are each of these components in their own chasis. If you are using your receiver, you will have to look for an option on the receiver such as "pre out", or in other words, preamp out, and let that go to your headphone amp.

Difference between headphones and speakers? Theoretically, headphones will net you a higher sound quality per dollar spent. Some of the better quality headphones (HD600, AKG 701, etc.,) can be obtained for around $300 new. $300 new won't get you very far in the speaker world. Speakers have the advantage of soundstaging and the such when you get up there and purchase quality speakers. I personally prefer speakers, but headphones are much simpler for someone who doesn't want to deal with room acoustics and the such.

Kambing

If you already have your choice source components, all you would need is a headphone amp. A receiver is essentially a DAC/preamp/amp in one combination, or otherwise known as an integrated. "Separates," on the other hand, are each of these components in their own chasis. If you are using your receiver, you will have to look for an option on the receiver such as "pre out", or in other words, preamp out, and let that go to your headphone amp.

Difference between headphones and speakers? Theoretically, headphones will net you a higher sound quality per dollar spent. Some of the better quality headphones (HD600, AKG 701, etc.,) can be obtained for around $300 new. $300 new won't get you very far in the speaker world. Speakers have the advantage of soundstaging and the such when you get up there and purchase quality speakers. I personally prefer speakers, but headphones are much simpler for someone who doesn't want to deal with room acoustics and the such.

Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate it. Yes i do see a pre-out option on my receiver. So i suppose soundstaging would be the biggest difference then. Hmm. If that is the case i think i will stick to my tower speakers haha. But seriously thank you for the response, cleared up a few things.

EDIT:

Thanks to LCfiner and FoxSpirit for impressions too... I think i will actually go ahead and demo some high-end headphones now haha.

LCfiner

For me it’s intimacy and high frequency detail. I can still hear subtle details on good speakers but they are much more prominent with headphones. things like singers breathing in by a mic or the brushing of fingers on strings. those bits feel like a greater part of the mix on good headphones coma red to good speakers.

And sometimes I want a smaller soundstage that I get with headphones compared to speakers. No, it’s not as natural as the soundstage from speakers or live instruments but it can be very involving to have the sound so close to being in your head.

FoxSpirit

Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate it. Yes i do see a pre-out option on my receiver. So i suppose soundstaging would be the biggest difference then. Hmm. If that is the case i think i will stick to my tower speakers haha. But seriously thank you for the response, cleared up a few things.
In my experience, high end headphones are able to achieve a better overall performance compared to speakers. Thanks to no crossover the imaging is superb, you can get high resolution and great bass with much less compromise plus you basically have the perfect room. No bass problems, no reflexions which smear high end detail and soundstaging. Go listen to some Stax, pretty amazing. I also heard great things about the HiFiman electrostats.
Listened to the HD800, nice, but no Stax (for me). Technically amazing but also sterile and cold. Maybe a warm coloured tube would have helped here but I only had transistor amping for choice.

swoon

Oh, for sure. I see myself putting money into a proper setup at some point, by my decision was far too hasty. 1 day of "research" isn't enough. And you're right, I should be looking for used gear. The Burson is available for ~$450-$500 used, which is a hell of a lot less than the $700 + duties I would have to pay from Burson.

Also, I regretted not auditioning a pair of Stax headphones before making such a large purchase. I have a feeling they might really suit my tastes.

i wouldn't sweat it. have a the 701s and a stax lambda with a srm 1/mk2 and while it sounds better than the 701 - especially in the low-end it's not night and day. the 701s have a wider soundstange, though i think stax have a much better and balanced sound and are far more comfortable.

also with stax if you start with an entry system you are looking at rolling that system each time you want to upgrade so it's a dead end in some ways - but with dynamics your 701s will grow with each amp (for awhile at least)

IceCold

Hey guys, anybody here have the fiio e10? I've surfing online and noticed a lot of complaints concerning sound distortion due to it's loose head phone jack. I don't know if I should buy them now.

Mindlog

Newegg has the Sennheiser OCX 880 for $39.

COMPUSA has various Klipsch sets available:
Promedia $35
S5i $56

Amazon has the Klipsch Image X10 on sale again. The price has been bouncing all day. Currently it's at $136. I am still getting used to my set, but boy are they comfy.
The Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 is also experiencing price bounces. Currently $178. If it drops below $120 it will be an insta-buy for me.

VVV My apologies. I'll keep an eye out for Canadian deals.
A lot of kids are asking for headphones. Most of the specifically mention Beats -_-

Oh, I'm in Canada

Awww, that amazon deal can't be shipped here =/

Amazon.ca and newegg.ca suck for headphones

Screw Beats :p

M11's are on sale for 25 bucks after a 20 dollar off coupon code, 32 dollars after shipping, guess I'll just buy them again

Top Bottom