• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

Whats Gaf's opinion on the JDLabs altoid cmoy amp? I have a set of UE triple fii and a set of the Koss DJ 100s. Is that amp worth getting, or any other amp under 100?

That cmoy is one of the best bang for your buck amps around. If you're ok with the size if the Altoids tin, then go for it.

They're pretty much unbeatable for that use unless you want with something as high tier as the Sennheiser IE8 or Radius DDM. I'll figure everything out tomorrow, and let you know how much shipping will be...If it's more than ten dollars I'll adjust the price to make sure you're not paying over $50. I just want my earphones to have a good home, and hearing that you're into stuff like Burial just seems perfect. I don't use them as much I used to, so I feel like they're being wasted.

Missed this. Awesome :) Well just let me know via PM!

In my experience cables really don't do much at all, if anything, to the sound.

Using your E7 as a DAC, you're most likely getting better audio, assuming its DAC is superior to the one in your PC.

That being said, the differences DACs and amps make, in my experience, are not nearly as profound as some would have you believe. A better amp will likely result in tighter/punchier bass (unless you're coloring it with tubes), and a better DAC will likely result in more clarity and separation. These differences are usually pretty subtle, but once you get accustomed to the changes, they can make or break the sound for you.

When I was auditioning DACs with my dad over the weekend (with his B&W 800 Diamond system), there was one particular moment that was truly striking to me. It was when he played a percussion track (Sheffield drum track), which I had heard countless times before. When played on the Weiss 202, through his speakers, it was the first time I ever experienced a truly live feeling. I could picture the drums in front of me perfectly. It was quite the ear opening experience for me. Oddly enough, going to another similarly expensive DAC couldn't reproduce what I felt with that DAC. It was strange, and somewhat saddening. At best, I could say the differences were subtle, but it was the difference in between uncanny valley and reality.

I think what Rubx is referring to is the L3 line out cable, which, as far as I understand, when used, bypasses the iPod/iPhone's internal DAC/Amp. I notice a huge difference in SQ using my iPod in my car and stereo at home using line out vs. 3.5mm.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think what Rubx is referring to is the L3 line out cable, which, as far as I understand, when used, bypasses the iPod/iPhone's internal DAC/Amp. I notice a huge difference in SQ using my iPod in my car and stereo at home using line out vs. 3.5mm.

Ahh, that's another matter. It's bypassing the iPhone's headphone amp in that case, which should definitely improve the sound.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Don't be shocked if a lot of people are secretly rocking those cheaper Chinese bootlegs just to be hip and cool.

I get my HE-300s in two days SO HYPE.

Don't be shocked if a lot of people are secretly rocking those cheaper Chinese bootlegs just to be hip and cool.

that's definitely true, or there's also the Monster refurbished that are significantly cheaper.
I wonder how good the refurbs are. Anyone have any experience with them?
I have a set of Turbines that I love and wouldn't want to have to replace them at retail cost if they were to one day break...Luckily i have the UE triplefi 10vi's coming :)

It won't bypass the dac but it will bypass the amp, which is the weakest link when it comes to ipods anyways. Only a few products can bypass both.

shira

Beats just show that some people listen to music for all the wrong reasons.

If you are listening to pop/top 40, does it really make a difference if you have beats or AKG?

I'm kind of curious. Does listening to Justin Bieber with HD800's sound better? It feels like the only reason to get hi-end headphones is to listen to technical guitar songs or really heavy bass.

Alucrid

Banned
If you are listening to pop/top 40, does it really make a difference if you have beats or AKG?

I'm kind of curious. Does listening to Justin Bieber with HD800's sound better? It feels like the only reason to get hi-end headphones is to listen to technical guitar songs or really heavy bass.

Yes. Yes. No.

LordCanti

Electrostats are the only true way to experience the Biebs.

shira

Yes. Yes. No.

I know that pop music is specifically engineered/mixed/processed so that it sounds best to the largest audience which is going to be OEM stock car speakers playing FM radio, youtube quality audio, and ipod headphones. Whereas, something like Clapton flac's are made such that every little detail is there.

I'm not sure why Bieber would sound better with better headphones if it specifically wasn't made for all the detail to be captured

TheExodu5

Banned
Although I'm feeling good about my K702 + HA-160 combo coming in, part of me is sad I didn't opt for an entry Stax system instead...I could have gotten one for roughly the same price.

I've never heard electrostats though...I wonder how small the bass impact really is. People said the K701 really lacked bass impact, but they sound great to me.

leng jai

Most high end phones make radio music sound worse, so no. Mylo Xyloto is pure assault on your auditory senses, as is "It Will Rain" by Bruno Mars. Surprisingly "Love You Like a Love Song" by Selena Gomez sounds pretty good to me. Frankly a large percentage of music these days is ineptly mastered regardless of genre. Its usually dependent on who does the mixing and after while you get to know which artists/bands have nice sounding discs.

kevm3

High end headphones can be VERY revealing, and there-in lies the problem for a lot of people. Most $300 headphones aren't really $300 headphones, because a lot of them need proper amping to really get their potential. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s and the sound was uninvolving without proper amping. To be honest, I didn't particularly care for the Sennheiser sound signature at all, but that's another story. With revealing headphones, upstream components will really matter as well.

I personally wouldn't buy the beats, but I can't be mad at someone that buys them. They want a fashion accessory plus something with thumping bass. They may not be into accurate sound reproduction. Can I find more detailed and accurate headphones for less? Absolutely. The thing is, what I've found in the sound arena, sound signature is the hugest factor. If you don't like how the headphones present music, it doesn't matter how many audiophiles rave about them or how flat they are on a frequency response graph. You will simply be left wishing for something else. Certain people just don't care for accurate sound, but may just enjoy the thumping bass that the beats present and they are in that sector that don't want anything to do with dealing with sources and proper amping.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep, sound signature and how well you like it is what matters most. No matter how well the HD 600/650 or Denons are liked, I will never like them because I simply don't like a sound signature with a lot of upper bass. I've found that you really need to hear headphones yourself to decide whether or not you liked them.

Many people call the AKG K701 flat and dull and with no bass, but my perception of them is pretty different. I wouldn't have known that if I was just relying on other people's opinion.

Alucrid

Banned
I know that pop music is specifically engineered/mixed/processed so that it sounds best to the largest audience which is going to be OEM stock car speakers playing FM radio, youtube quality audio, and ipod headphones. Whereas, something like Clapton flac's are made such that every little detail is there.

I'm not sure why Bieber would sound better with better headphones if it specifically wasn't made for all the detail to be captured

Its impossible to truly replicate the angelic beauty that justin "orgasm causing voice" bieber has.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Yep, sound signature and how well you like it is what matters most. No matter how well the HD 600/650 or Denons are liked, I will never like them because I simply don't like a sound signature with a lot of upper bass. I've found that you really need to hear headphones yourself to decide whether or not you liked them.

Many people call the AKG K701 flat and dull and with no bass, but my perception of them is pretty different. I wouldn't have known that if I was just relying on other people's opinion.

TheExodu5 do you have any problem with the K701's headband? A buddy just picked one up and after an hour or so of using it, he started complaining that the headphones were starting to get uncomfortable especially to the top of his head.

leng jai

TheExodu5 do you have any problem with the K701's headband? A buddy just picked one up and after an hour or so of using it, he started complaining that the headphones were starting to get uncomfortable especially to the top of his head.

The K702 has a modified headband (the bumps are moved a bit) and should be a bit more comfortable.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've only used the K702, and yes, I do have a problem with the headband. While the headphones are very light and comfortable, those stupid tabs on the top headband put uneven pressure on the top of your skull and as a result they can get uncomfortable after a short while. I plan on rectifying that...somehow. I seriously have no idea why they put tabs on the headband like that.

shira

Anyone got any recommendation for wireless earphones for exercising/ running? (to use with iphone)
not exactly but I just wanted to post this
_MG_2138.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
The only issue with the Bifrost and HA-160 combo I have coming in is that they're definitely not going to stack nicely. Very different shapes. :(

kevm3

I'm starting to feel that sometimes multiple speakers/headphones or complete set-ups is a great approach to take for various genres of music. What may be great for one music genre may get outclassed by another pair of headphones for another genre. A lot of 'fast' headphones sound excellent for things like guitars, especially fast guitar-playing, but they can make some vocals sound too lean/pristine, while a more mid/bass heavy phone may sound better on vocals, but start sounding blurred during things like fast guitar solos.

Karish

I got my CAD MH310s today. The headphones are supposedly re-branded SuperLux 662Fs, which are known to be some of the best headphones for around $50. These guys did not dissapoint. I am using them for gaming mostly in conjunction with my Turtle Beach Earforce DDS processor which simulates surround sound in headphones. It is awesome. If you're looking for something in this price-range, look no further.

I think they should be added to the OP. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OA6WOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Recon

Banned
I got my CAD MH310s today. The headphones are supposedly re-branded SuperLux 662Fs, which are known to be some of the best headphones for around $50. These guys did not dissapoint. I am using them for gaming mostly in conjunction with my Turtle Beach Earforce DDS processor which simulates surround sound in headphones. It is awesome. If you're looking for something in this price-range, look no further.

I think they should be added to the OP. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OA6WOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love how this is almost word for word your review on amazon.

im in Singapore right now and looking to pick up a decent set of headphones with a DAC/Amp.

The set i am looking at is the Audio Technica ATH-A700s. The amp is a C Entrance Dacmini.

I listened to a set of those Beyer DT880s or whatever and really didnt like them. THe A700s hit hard and had fantastic bass.

Is there anything i should know about either of these units or are they worth it? I woud be using my laptop/USB Hard drive as the source running FLAC files or MP3s. Thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm, I'm really second guessing myself here.

I went for the Burson HA-160 + Bitfrost combo...but maybe I really would have been better off going with the Burson HA-160D.

Edit: yeah, changing my order to an HA-160D. As much as I like the idea of the Bifrost, the HA-160D is a well proven DAC and amp. It's the safer bet, and should hold better resale value as well.

LCfiner

That Burson gear will serve you well.

I'm bummed out because of problems with those GR8 IEMs I got. After a couple days, they developed a real bad buzzing in the casing when playing any sort of bass note. It's terrible.

I switched out the wax filters and ear tips thinking it was some vibration there but the buzzing always comes back. Awful.

I contacted the Canadian Grado dealer where I got these and I'm hoping I can get a pair that doesn't have this problem. If it turns out its something inherit in the design then I'm obviously just going to return them and get my money back.

Hey Des, any idea where I could potentially buy the Fischer Audio Fa 004 or 003's. The link in the OP is dead.

The problem getting your hands on these is that as soon as some come in stock they are pretty much sold out. That goes for the Fa 003's atleast. Here are some places.

http://shop.frogbeats.com/
http://gd-audiobase.com/

It seemed like the store that sold Fischer audio products in Canada and shipped worldwide isn't up anymore. Those sites i listed though will ship worldwide and gd audiobase seems to have the fa 003 in-stock.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
High end headphones can be VERY revealing, and there-in lies the problem for a lot of people. Most $300 headphones aren't really $300 headphones, because a lot of them need proper amping to really get their potential. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s and the sound was uninvolving without proper amping. To be honest, I didn't particularly care for the Sennheiser sound signature at all, but that's another story. With revealing headphones, upstream components will really matter as well.

Please, don't bring the crazy tweako audiophilia myths down here.

The only reason the HD600 work better with amps is becuase they've got a whopping 300 impedance which it is because they're designed to be used at home and thus plugged into home audio gear.

There are plenty 300$ headphones designed with lower impedance that work as good as they're going to work off a portable player (although you can often get a better noise floor and channel separation off a dedicated amp, due to the compromises in designing the amp section of a portable player).

Please, don't bring the crazy tweako audiophilia myths down here.

The only reason the HD600 work better with amps is becuase they've got a whopping 300 impedance which it is because they're designed to be used at home and thus plugged into home audio gear.
I agree to a certain extent on certain audiophile components, but I did notice more floor noise from my higher end Grados (without any music playing) compared to the cheaper Grados I was previously used to. And this is after having to decrease the volume. This is with the same source, DAC and amp setup which I love and have no intention of replacing anytime soon.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I agree to a certain extent on certain audiophile components, but I did notice more floor noise from my higher end Grados (without any music playing) compared to the cheaper Grados I was previously used to. And this is after having to decrease the volume. This is with the same source, DAC and amp setup which I love and have no intention of replacing anytime soon.

If the higher end Grados reveal noise, and as long as we're not dealing with impedance mismatch, it means your amp is noisy.

Many audiophile/specialty audio gear, specially amps, are noisy due to poor design principles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bleh...I think I'm doubling on my HA-160 + Bitfrost decision...at least for now.

Just going to content myself with my Maverick D1 for the time being. No sense in buying things all at once, especially when I was looking at spending $1100 of source/amp gear for $250 headphones.

omgkitty

Man, these last fews pages are really making it difficult to not cave in and buy a pair of TMAs.

I wish had enough money to buy both these and another pair of flat audio response headphones.

DO IT!!!

Actually, what would be a good compliment to the TMA-1's?

dmshaposv

DO IT!!!

Actually, what would be a good compliment to the TMA-1's?

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser CX300 earbuds for DAT BASS and PRICE. They are good for what they are but IEMs become irritating over long periods of use. Loved the bass response on TMAs when I checked them the other day and they seemed quite comfy even though they are on-ear as opposed to over-the-ear.

I need a proper set of over-the-head or on-the-ear headphones for specific needs (audio recording for video). I was recently editing a video and my earbuds gave me a complete wrong picture of the gain control I applied (I'm working with a layered narration + background score + sound effects). So I need a very good pair of cans thats quite representative of what people will hear in the final video.

dmshaposv

Oh man, you know I want too. ;)

However, from what others have told me in the last few pages they just don't fit the criteria of accurate sound representation that I critically need.

I feel they'll just end up giving me a completely inaccurate picture of the audio levels (albeit better than my cx300s). Their punchy bass response in my little demo proved that, the other day.

Top Bottom