• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Speaking of modding. Anyone try modding the M50?
I seen one thread about it & it was just to replace a cord & earpads.

The extent of actual modding headphones for better SQ seems to be just opening them up & removing the foam like substance that is glued on for louder bass (& sometimes worse echoing as a result). Has there been anything more complex than that?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
finally had a good session with these with the lights off and the computer and fans off. My first mid-fi set
SjCCjl.jpg

And you thought......?

Septimius

Hah, apparently my ATH-ESW9A are more sought after than I could've imagined. I got them for the aesthetics - they're the sexiest headphones I have seen - but people seem to really love them. I find them overall good, but they're not breathy enough for me. I would've loved them to the moon and back if they were over-the-ear, though.

I'm looking at various top-end headphones, but nothing can seem to nudge me away from getting the Tesla T1s. I love the look, I love the sound of the DT880, so I really can't imagine that it would be doing anything wrong by upgrading from there. It'll be tough finding a suitable DAC and amp for them, though. I really do want one high-end tube amp and one high-end not-so-analogue amp.

EDIT: So, now that I'm drooling at the T1s and some amp to go with it, does anyone have any recommendations? Woo audio for tube amps? What's a good value DAC? Do I really have to go over 300-350$ here? I don't want to limit 1200$ headphones and a 700$ amp if 350$ isn't enough for a DAC, but fuck, I'm not made out of money. I'd also like a nice solid state headphone amp. Probably around the same price range as the tube amp. Any recommendations?

I'd wait it out for the O2/ODAC that's comin later in May, JDS labs may build a desktop version of it for a really reasonable price, but already the portable version of the O2 is stacking up to be a real giant killer. There's a review and impressions thread over at HF where people are posting their findings on the O2 you can check out. The portable version is already killing amps 4-6 times its price

pixelated

And you thought......?

What can I say. These are the best cans I've owned.

For full sized headphones, I went from Koss 4aat, to Grado sr60, and now to the HE-400. I loved the sound stage and music of the Grado SR60. I had already preferred open headphones due to the Koss KCS75 and Senn px-100iis.

I sold my Koss 4AAT today in fact because I picked up the AT-M50s/LE in February. For me that was a big step in the right direction for me for closed headphones and I can make that comparison with the HE-400 vs the SR60. Its just that much better at everything the SR60 does which should be expected. I found myself not wanting to stop listening last night because I was finding details that I don't recall ever hearing my music before.

I'm pushing the HE-400 through either my sound blaster elite pro or my F11 through an external dock from a Galaxy S2 at the moment. I'm thinking about getting a F17. At first trial I was disappointed with the bass from my elite pro as reviews claimed these are aimed at American listeners with bass in mind. That changed when I hooked them up to the F11 and quieted everything around me.... I couldn't have been happier.

I've delegated the SR-60 to the office now, the HE-400 for home, and the M50s for gym and noisy/quiet public environments, the Koss for random on the go stuff, and the px-100ii well I'm thinking about selling these too.

Are the M50's considered "portable" in any way. I just don't want something that's gigantic on my head when I'm walking to class. Am I better off just buying the HD25 II's when I get the money?

Mistle

Are the M50's considered "portable" in any way. I just don't want something that's gigantic on my head when I'm walking to class. Am I better off just buying the HD25 II's when I get the money?
I wouldn't consider them portable no, even if they do fold up. The coiled cabled version is better, but still better suited to home use.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

The M50s are NOT a portable headphone. They're way too big to be worn while walking around outside. I know from experience.

I'm saving up for the V-Moda M80s, currently going for $178ish on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HSDLCO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any other thoughts on the M50? Got great reviews on amazon. I need a high end closed style that is semi portable

The M50s are probably the most overrated cans available, if only for the price point. V-shaped sound with recessed mids (vocals, guitars, drums etc) and aggressive lows/highs. They're not exactly portable/practical either (bulky and no detachable cable) and you'll have sweaty ears within an hour of listening.

What sort of sound signature are you looking for? If you liked your Grados, there's a few good closed/portable choices that sound similar.

LCfiner

EDIT: So, now that I'm drooling at the T1s and some amp to go with it, does anyone have any recommendations? Woo audio for tube amps? What's a good value DAC? Do I really have to go over 300-350$ here? I don't want to limit 1200$ headphones and a 700$ amp if 350$ isn't enough for a DAC, but fuck, I'm not made out of money. I'd also like a nice solid state headphone amp. Probably around the same price range as the tube amp. Any recommendations?

hey, with your DAC budget I highly recommend the HRT music streamer plus or the headroom micro dac. I've listened to both and I liked them a lot. HRT is usb only (asyncronous USB) and no-fuss installation. micro DAC needs wall power and has more inputs than the HRT.

you could also try the centrance dacport LX (also around 300) or, for around 150, the "non plus" version of the music streamer.

you won't go wrong with any of those choices.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The M50s are NOT a portable headphone. They're way too big to be worn while walking around outside. I know from experience.

I'm saving up for the V-Moda M80s, currently going for $178ish on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HSDLCO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd sell you my V-Moda M80's if you wanted for much better than that. $100 if at all interested. I've replaced them with the HD25s which better suit my preferences.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
What's the difference in sound between those two? I'm leaning towards the HD25's.

To my ears, the M80s have more bass emphasis, but less bass quality. The highs aren't as pronounced and overall it's a bit more neutral.

The sound signature isn't really my beef with the M80s, it's that I needed something with brain squeezing isolation...and it just so happened that the signature of the HD25s fits my preferences.

Never knew I was a V-shaped guy until I had these and fell in love with the sound.

Anyone else waiting for the ODAC and O2 combo JDSlabs is coming up with?
Yep. Like I said, these are shaping up to be giant killers. NwAVGuy said the final product will rival the Benchmark DAC, and if his claims are even halfway to the mark, you're still getting an absolutely killer rig for a lot less than what the competition offers. I'd imagine the JDS prebuilt will run $350 since the O2 is $150, and the ODAC is $100 for just the board

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, but keep in mind that the law of diminishing returns is worse with audiophilia than anything. You can get probably 90% the sound quality of those setups for 1/10 the cost.

irriadin

So I've decided to get the Beyerdynamic DT 990's, on account of them being really good at electronica. Kinda want to get a good pair of IEM's too. Is there anything of comparable quality to Monster Turbine Pro Gold? I'm not sure how overpriced these are...

Septimius

I'd wait it out for the O2/ODAC that's comin later in May, JDS labs may build a desktop version of it for a really reasonable price, but already the portable version of the O2 is stacking up to be a real giant killer. There's a review and impressions thread over at HF where people are posting their findings on the O2 you can check out. The portable version is already killing amps 4-6 times its price

This actually sounds like a great deal and great idea. I'm taking it JDS labs (will be) build(ing) the O2/ODAC and sell them standardized? I've built guitar effects and know my way around a soldering iron, but no way if I'd be able to build a DAC and amp and not believe that my handwork isn't interfering with the sound in SOME way.

Sounds like I'd be set if I got an ODAC/O2 and a tube amp.

I'll also look into your tips, LCfiner - thanks a lot :>

This actually sounds like a great deal and great idea. I'm taking it JDS labs (will be) build(ing) the O2/ODAC and sell them standardized? I've built guitar effects and know my way around a soldering iron, but no way if I'd be able to build a DAC and amp and not believe that my handwork isn't interfering with the sound in SOME way.

Sounds like I'd be set if I got an ODAC/O2 and a tube amp.

I'll also look into your tips, LCfiner - thanks a lot :>

That correct. If you pop over to JDS, they are selling a prebuilt O2 amp for $150, the ODAC can supplement the O2 but will likely be built into a larger chassis. The cost of the board is $99. So I'm thinking JDS will sell prebuilt O2/ODAC combos for $350, which is very reasonable IMO. The transparency of both units is supposed to be quite impressive, and the O2 can drive anything short of the HifiMan HE5/6. Even phones like the K701/LCD2 are fair game. The desktop unit that's coming later will have even more power on tap, so that's worth looking into as well, but the fact that a cheap portable can drive really power hungry cans is quite impressive.

Vhalyar

Hey GAF, I'm looking to replace/upgrade my current pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700, with a budget of 150-250E~

I really like them, but I'm thinking it'd be nice to try something a step or two above. I'm open to both open and closed models. It's for home use and considering how often the AT gets used, comfort is pretty important and since I'll be using them multiple hours a day I don't want to cheap out. I have a VSX-1019AH-K A/V Receiver, but I'm not sure if it's particularly good at driving headphones :/

Any suggestions of models I should take a look at in particular? The OP doesn't list anything in this price range.

Big bonus if it's not sold at fifty times the US/Canadian price :(

HiResDes

To my ears, the M80s have more bass emphasis, but less bass quality. The highs aren't as pronounced and overall it's a bit more neutral.

The sound signature isn't really my beef with the M80s, it's that I needed something with brain squeezing isolation...and it just so happened that the signature of the HD25s fits my preferences.

Never knew I was a V-shaped guy until I had these and fell in love with the sound.
I am all about dat V as well

Septimius

That correct. If you pop over to JDS, they are selling a prebuilt O2 amp for $150, the ODAC can supplement the O2 but will likely be built into a larger chassis. The cost of the board is $99. So I'm thinking JDS will sell prebuilt O2/ODAC combos for $350, which is very reasonable IMO. The transparency of both units is supposed to be quite impressive, and the O2 can drive anything short of the HifiMan HE5/6. Even phones like the K701/LCD2 are fair game. The desktop unit that's coming later will have even more power on tap, so that's worth looking into as well, but the fact that a cheap portable can drive really power hungry cans is quite impressive.

I'm fairly certain my E17 will be enough for all my portable needs (I mean, how uptight are we really gonna be about this stuff? It already sounds pretty amazing with DT880s and an E17) so this would be strictly for home use with my upcoming Tesla T1s. I'm not really in a rush about getting them, though, so I can wait for the less portable combos. I'm really a low gain kind of guy - listening to music for a big chuck of the day I know I can't do it too loudly - so maybe these portable combos can drive 600Ohm? How far off is the stationary units? I'm guessing the only improvement from the portable will be better power?

The M50s are probably the most overrated cans available, if only for the price point. V-shaped sound with recessed mids (vocals, guitars, drums etc) and aggressive lows/highs. They're not exactly portable/practical either (bulky and no detachable cable) and you'll have sweaty ears within an hour of listening.

What sort of sound signature are you looking for? If you liked your Grados, there's a few good closed/portable choices that sound similar.

I did really like the sound of the Grados. Still pissed I can't keep 'em. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:

- something that sounds simliar to Grados -- I listen to a lot of rock, guitar, etc
- classy, modern & high end looking. Color is cool, too. They just can't look like a 13 year-old would wear them or could afford them.
- closed style, as I'm wearing them on airplanes
- semi portable. if they come with a carrying case, that'd be great
- headphone style...not interested in ear buds

If the M50's are overrated, what about the Sennheiser HD448? I think I can get away with spending almost $150.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DGTGO0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

undrtakr900

They're good, but seem a bit overpriced at the moment.
Hmm...you were right, it seems I just missed the sale. I just read a review from 4/18/12 that said they got it for only $65 dollars. Dam, oh well..

Also one of the customer reviews said: "Of course they blow Beats By Dre out of the water..."
Is that true or was he just being very hyperbolic?

I did really like the sound of the Grados. Still pissed I can't keep 'em. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:

- something that sounds simliar to Grados -- I listen to a lot of rock, guitar, etc
- classy, modern & high end looking. Color is cool, too. They just can't look like a 13 year-old would wear them or could afford them.

If the M50's are overrated, what about the Sennheiser HD448? I think I can get away with spending almost $150.

Sennheiser HD448s are decent if you can get them cheap, though they certainly couldn't compare with your Grados for SQ. For something similar only closed, I would recommend either the Beyerdynamic T50Ps or the Phiaton MS 300s. Those might be over your budget though, it's hard for me to tell from outside the US, but if you can afford them I would highly recommend either. Outside price they should meet all of your above criteria, though the Phiatons are undoubtedly the sexier of the two (and probably the better, IMO).

Another option is the Sennheiser HD25s, these are usually expensive too but I believe there is an SP model (HD 25-SP II) which is cheaper. I don't have any experience with those in particular, but I've heard they aren't too far off the standard HD25s, which should be excellent for rock particularly. Perhaps someone on GAF will be able to advise more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As an owner of an Alessandro MS1 (basically a rebadged grado... SR125? SR225?) and a HD25 1-II I can say that if you want something that sounds very close to a grado with better bass and far better isolation and portability get the Senns HD25.

I think the SP version is pretty different and inferior.

DemonNite

can anyone recommend earbuds for use on an iphone?

I currently have the Shure SE310 but the wire is splitting and need a replacement soon. Budget wise I want to spend under £150 (the SE315 is about £120) but happy to hear other options.

I usually listen to a lot of metal, electronic and soundtracks... but also a lot of podcasts. Having a remote+mic will be important too.

LCfiner

hmm, for what it's worth, I've heard three good quality, portable closed cans (HD 25, ESW9 and DT1350). only the HD 25 has something approaching the grado signature. but it's not exactly the same. the HD 25 has less midrange emphasis than the grado and stronger bass - they also don't sound open and airy like the grados. but they both have a boosted treble response which makes them somewhat similar.

good luck with whatever you pick.

LCfiner

Would you consider them the best portable cans for rock and classical up to $200?

My personal preference was the esw9 (because of that lush, romantic, low mids boost) but the HD25 would be excellent for most rock. Classical I'm not so sure. A more neutral headphone like the dt1350 might be better for classical but that one is 300 dollars.

The hd 25 also has a tiny soundstage and I like it when my classical music sound big and out of my head

Top Bottom