• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Every RE0 recommendation almost always recommends a headphone amp for them. So it might not be Hippo VB levels, but will they give a boost enough to be worth dishing out for the price of what the actual headphones themselves cost?

I will refer you to this post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/538601/re0-amp#post_7263131

Short answer: no.

Most In ear phones as I said, don't improve all that much with amping, and certainly not enough to merit lugging around something that negates your portability.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I have Sennheiser HD 598 and I'm getting a new laptop soon: Sager NP 6165. I'm aware that the stock sound card isn't great, but I want to get the most out of my Sennheiser.

I need help finding an appropriate external sound card for my Sager. I heard about the Asus Xonar U3, but I have never gotten a sound card before.

I cannot spend much money, so my budget would ~$50, if the quality justifies the cost. What external sound card do you guys recommend?
Can you afford to bump that up for the FiiO E10?

Every RE0 recommendation almost always recommends a headphone amp for them. So it might not be Hippo VB levels, but will they give a boost enough to be worth dishing out for the price of what the actual headphones themselves cost?

The FiiO E11 would make you content. This I know from personal experience with those headphones.

I've been really interested in the O2 amp and ODAC that's coming later this year. If it can get bundled into the O2 amp as an O2/ODAC combo over at JDS Labs for $250, we will probably have a new greatest bang for the buck amp/DAC to recommend to others. One that drive anything short of HiFiMan's HE5/HE6 and electrostats

pax217

I've been really interested in the O2 amp and ODAC that's coming later this year. If it can get bundled into the O2 amp as an O2/ODAC combo over at JDS Labs for $250, we will probably have a new greatest bang for the buck amp/DAC to recommend to others. One that drive anything short of HiFiMan's HE5/HE6 and electrostats

Info on ODAC from the developer - http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/

Didn't know this existed, looks heavenly, especially for that $100 price tag.

Septimius

So, I bought a E17. I was going to get the E10, but man, that thing is so tiny, it's just silly it's not portable. I tried out both the E7, which I was considering first, but it was a noticeable difference, so I just went with the E17. This little thing is revolutionizing my world!

I was always "what can a good amp really do?" - well, it can do quite a lot, it seems.

Seriously. My DT880s sound so much wider and so much more involving than they did before. Some parts of some songs could be a bit tiresome to listen to before, now it's much better.

Oh, and I thought I would go for the KRK KNS-8400 - I tried a pair, and they were really flat. Not bad, just really like.. flat. With or without an amp, it was a rather boring sound. I'm gonna go for the Shure SRH840 instead. Sounded pretty sweet, and I'm guessing it'll be good for my portable use and at work. I won't get them until tomorrow, though, so tomorrow I'll sport my DT880s to work.

Neo Child

Banned
okay so i listen to a lot of hip/hop, drum n bass, electronic as well as stuff like mumford, naked and famous, grouplove etc.

i bought these badboys a while ago for £20 and they are the best headphones ive ever had (much better than dr dre beats and sennheisers that cost me £100 (that broke)).

house-of-marley-midnight-ravers-earbuds.jpg

however, is there anything i could get better for a similar price range? need in-ear buds, willing to pay upto about £50....

What is your guys' opinions on buying from Ebay? Just look for good sellers? Still trying to look for a cheap pair of M50s that aren't refurbished. Cheapest I saw was about $105 used but those went quick :|

Ashhong

What is your guys' opinions on buying from Ebay? Just look for good sellers? Still trying to look for a cheap pair of M50s that aren't refurbished. Cheapest I saw was about $105 used but those went quick :|

I would personally stick with ebay sellers that are authorized dealers. There are a few, especially ones that sell the M50. I got mine from ebay. If you don't do that, I would consider the Squaretrade warranty. That way...say you pay $120 and it turns out theyre fake, well at least you're covered for $120 and can probably get real ones down the road.

Oh, and I thought I would go for the KRK KNS-8400 - I tried a pair, and they were really flat. Not bad, just really like.. flat. With or without an amp, it was a rather boring sound. I'm gonna go for the Shure SRH840 instead. Sounded pretty sweet, and I'm guessing it'll be good for my portable use and at work. I won't get them until tomorrow, though, so tomorrow I'll sport my DT880s to work.

Yeah, the lack of bass on the KRKs is really noticeable, especially the lack of mid-bass hump. The Shures won't satisfy a basshead, but especially amped (you'll love them with your new E17) it gets great extension and sounds nice and rumbly.

Grats dude, let us know how they are breaking in.

I would avoid eBAY like the plague for cans. The M50s especially have fakes everywhere, so I'd stick with an authorized seller (or at least a seller confirmed not to have fakes, but not authorized by Audio-Technica, like accessoryjack).

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

pax217

I'm a fan of NwAvGuy and previously he recommended the awesome HRT Streamer II DAC + O2 amp combo. If this is even half as good (especially at 24 bit) it could be a Fiio E10 beater at the price. Be still my beating wallet.

Likewise. I'm excited for this combo as my PC sound card isn't really running right now and the majority of my expendable income is tied up with medical bills. :(

I would personally stick with ebay sellers that are authorized dealers. There are a few, especially ones that sell the M50. I got mine from ebay. If you don't do that, I would consider the Squaretrade warranty. That way...say you pay $120 and it turns out theyre fake, well at least you're covered for $120 and can probably get real ones down the road.

Good idea. I usually don't look too far into this and anyone with a decent review I usually buy from... will be paying more attention.

I would avoid eBAY like the plague for cans. The M50s especially have fakes everywhere, so I'd stick with an authorized seller (or at least a seller confirmed not to have fakes, but not authorized by Audio-Technica, like accessoryjack).

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Thanks, guys. Seems like the best advice. I am assuming buying used directly from Amazon is safe though, correct? Plus I know that Amazon's customer service is great if there is a problem.

Septimius

Yeah, the lack of bass on the KRKs is really noticeable, especially the lack of mid-bass hump. The Shures won't satisfy a basshead, but especially amped (you'll love them with your new E17) it gets great extension and sounds nice and rumbly.

Grats dude, let us know how they are breaking in.

It wasn't really the lack of bass - they seemed to have about the same level bass as my DT880s, but it was just so flat. It just sounded cheap for some reason. I really liked the sturdiness of the Shures, but I can see it being heavy to wear. But whatever, they sounded great.

I can't really use my DT880s unamped anymore, though. It was such a huge step up that I'm gonna have to consider getting something bigger for home. I mean, I'm gonna go completely overboard some time, Tesla T1 and a nice, nice tube amp - maybe this will do until then.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Are Sennheiser CX300s still the best earbuds I can get for around $40? I need some new earbuds, but I'm almost kind of wary about Sennheisers just because there are so many bootlegs out there, even from amazon themselves.

Any recommendations for earbuds around $30-$50 would be appreciated :)

HiResDes

Are Sennheiser CX300s still the best earbuds I can get for around $40? I need some new earbuds, but I'm almost kind of wary about Sennheisers just because there are so many bootlegs out there, even from amazon themselves.

Any recommendations for earbuds around $30-$50 would be appreciated :)

CW31s

Well, here was my evening with my new SR81 Grados which are now folded up neatly, back in their box:

Wife: Did you order something online?
Me: Yes
Wife: I thought we agreed to discuss things before we bought them.
Me: Yes, but I bought headphones because I wanted to. (not mentioning the $15k raise I got two weeks ago)
Wife: Fine. See you at home.

Three hours later, at home post TV watching...

Me: I'm going to try my new headphones here for a second in between commercials
Wife: UGHHHHHH
Me: Ok, after our show is done.

15 minutes later...

Me: I'm going to try on my new headphones now.
Wife: Ok.
Me: Puts on new Grado SR81 and cranks up receiver
Wife: I can hear everything. What is the point of headphones if I can hear it? That is REALLY loud.
Me: That is what they are supposed to sound like.
Wife: What a waste of money. Why did you buy those anyway?
Me: For travel.
Wife: Well it'll be real rude to use those on a plane. Nobody wants to hear your movies or music.
Me: Then I guess you are TELLING me to return them?
Wife: Why don't you use your iPhone headphones. What is wrong with those.

WHAT THE FUCK. I mean, seriously. Looks like I'm returning these mother fuckers after all.

LCfiner

Well, here was my evening with my new SR81 Grados which are now folded up neatly, back in their box:

Me: Yes, but I bought headphones because I wanted to. (not mentioning the $15k raise I got two weeks ago)

15 minutes later...

Wife: I can hear everything. What is the point of headphones if I can hear it? That is REALLY loud.
Wife: Well it'll be real rude to use those on a plane. Nobody wants to hear your movies or music.

WHAT THE FUCK. I mean, seriously. Looks like I'm returning these mother fuckers after all.

Your wife is right. I know I talked up the Grados but if you’re gonna be using them on a plane, then it’s not nice to the people around you. it’s too close quarters in there.

some decent closed cans for you to look at: Sennhesier HD 25 1-II, Audio technica M50, Audio technica ESW9, beyerdynamic DT1350.

or look at the wide selection of good quality IEMs in the OP. easier to carry (and hide from the wife)

<_<

>_>

Your wife is right. I know I talked up the Grados but if you’re gonna be using them on a plane, then it’s not nice to the people around you. it’s too close quarters in there.

some decent closed cans for you to look at: Sennhesier HD 25 1-II, Audio technica M50, Audio technica ESW9, beyerdynamic DT1350.

or look at the wide selection of good quality IEMs in the OP. easier to carry (and hide from the wife)

<_<

>_>

I love the looks of the Audio Technica ESW9. Are they really worth 220?

Ashhong

Thanks, guys. Seems like the best advice. I am assuming buying used directly from Amazon is safe though, correct? Plus I know that Amazon's customer service is great if there is a problem.

I wasn't aware that Amazon sold used products? I know that people can sell their own used things through Amazon, like ebay, but theres nothing stopping those from being fake. So I would be careful with that. If it's not authorized by the manufacturer, get it somewhere you can get a warranty for it.

mhayze

Be careful, there are lots of fakes on ebay. There's a thread on head-fi about fake headphones.

SleazyC

Depends on the kind of music you listen too. I've owned the ESW9's for a couple months before upgrading to the ESW10JPN's and they really have that AT sound. Very sparkly treble, smooth and creamy mids with the somewhat anemic low end. Comparing my ESW9's to the ESW10JPN's the low end is clearly inferior so if you love some deep impactful bass I'm not sure if the ESW9's would be fore you. They also tend to become a bit uncomfterable after extended listening periods (usually 3-5+ hours) and leak a bit of sound if you listen to music at high levels.

I used to rock some Grado SR60's when I was at college and used to piss off quite a few people to holy hell when using them. Pretty much stick to IEM's now a days in any situation where I require isolation and don't want to bother othesr around me.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Have currently been rocking the AKG 240 MKIIs, love them but want more clarity on the mid range, where do I go up from here?

I want to stick to a similar sound stage as the 240's (spherical), but I want vocals to sound more 'upfront' and clearer.

Fav music genres, trance, classical and opera.

Budget, £200.

Have currently been rocking the AKG 240 MKIIs, love them but want more clarity on the mid range, where do I go up from here?

I want to stick to a similar sound stage as the 240's (spherical), but I want vocals to sound more 'upfront' and clearer.

Fav music genres, trance, classical and opera.

Budget, £200.

Open or closed? Will you be using an amp?

Open or semi open, my 240's are currently amped through a mixing desk.

Might be a touch over your budget, but the Philips Fidelio L1s are worth looking into imo. Warm phones with slightly forward mids and excellent detail and extension. Soundstage should be akin to what you're looking for.

Of course, if you can handle the Grado sound signature, they are always a safe recommendation for open phones. Like say the SR80i or SR225i. The latter are far less fatiguing and thusly the safer choice.

LCfiner

I think so. they were my first "high end" closed cans. back when i thought "high end" was 200 bucks, not 1000... :)

they have a dark signature which is actually kinda the opposite of the grado headphones. you could say they're creamy and lush as they exaggerate low mids and mid-bass. it sounds wonderful for some types of music (eg: crunchy guitar rock or jazz) but it's not a neutral headphone at all.

Before the US model came out for 220 bucks, they used to sell for around 350 from japan. I don't think they're worth 350. but for 220, yeah, I think they're in the same league as the sennheiser HD 25.

if you decide to try them, just make sure it's a place with easy returns since that "lush" sound signature is not for everyone. it's a very personal thing.

Hawkmosis

Banned
I was wondering if its very common to get Headphones re-corded. I have a pair of AKG K240 and Grado SR80's that both have cord problems.
I live in British Columbia and if any one knows of some reasonable online stores i would be very great full.

My brother gave me some koss portapros yday to fix because the right side goes out. Found out it's the wiring near the plug. I could go the easy fix (cut near plug, resolder), but how would I go about rewiring? I've always wanted to do it and this could be a good opportunity to make the most out of these headphones as a DIY mod project.

SleazyC

I was wondering if its very common to get Headphones re-corded. I have a pair of AKG K240 and Grado SR80's that both have cord problems.
I live in British Columbia and if any one knows of some reasonable online stores i would be very great full.
Generally you only see recording on the high end market. I am neutral on the fierce debate of whether or not cables that cost $1000 can really impact/improve the sound signature of headphones but you should check out head-fi as far as where to get your headphones recabled.

HiResDes

So how much of an upgrade is it from an HD555 to an HD650? Is it worth the extra $350-$400? Or would I be better complementing my HD555's with a good inner-ear model, like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125UBUG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ?

If you're gonna spend that much as well check out the HE-400

Though I'd recommend saving money and checking out more of a sidegrade with the DT990s

Edit: Those are basically on the lower end of the Hi-Fi tier

Crisco

Banned
I just want to say, I never really knew what the hell "soundstage" meant until I got the Q701s. Music through these things doesn't sound like I'm listening to headphones. It's really just sounds like I'm sitting in a room listening to stereo speakers in front of me. Very cool.

FoxSpirit

Info on ODAC from the developer - http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/

Didn't know this existed, looks heavenly, especially for that $100 price tag.
Hmmm, a science guy. Really interesting. *bookmarked*

I know that HiFi gear is overpriced, my retailer next door used to build amps and still has his own running. Sounds fantastic, 25W and uses only a handfull of parts. He has some words for the modern high-end community and they are not flattering.

I will get an E11 soon, let's see how it does.

Crisco

Banned
I guess I would have to say the bass is less than what I would like, but I don't really have many great points of comparison. These are literally my first and only pair of high end headphones. Compared to the stereo bluetooth headset or cheap buds I was using before, obviously much better. Compared to my 15"/500 watt HT sub, not so much.

Depends a lot on the source too. Hip hop/rap definitely leaves me a little underwhelmed with the bass. For rock, prog metal, alternative I was actually pleasantly surprised by how good the bass was. Sound effects in games, like the Diablo III beta this weekend, also sounded really good.

Keep in mind that they are being amp'd of an Audioengine D1, and if you believe everything you read on head-fi, a USB dac/amp has no where near enough power to drive these things properly. I happen to think 90% of the people on that forum are insane, so I tried it anyway and am more than happy with the results. Still, a more powerful amp might improve the sub bass a little.

pax217

15 minutes later...

Close 'em up... go M50.

irriadin

If you're gonna spend that much as well check out the HE-400

Though I'd recommend saving money and checking out more of a sidegrade with the DT990s

Edit: Those are basically on the lower end of the Hi-Fi tier

Those both look really nice, particularly the more expensive one (of course). Is there a reason you'd recommend these over the 650's?

HiResDes

Not really over at all, they are just a hundred bucks cheaper and are another option...Bass is supposedly slightly better, but mids are better on the 650s.

DT990s are a great (much cheaper option), but are also more v-shaped I was going to get them before deciding upon my FA-011s instead, which were similar and even cheaper.

Top Bottom