• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Got my Phiaton's in the mail today and they are so beautiful.

Sexy headphones or sexiest headphones?

Enjoying the head thumping bass?

If you wanted bass you should have got either the M-Audio Q40s (though they require a lot of ampage) or the Ultrasone HFI-580s IMO.

And how in the hell did those Sony's shoot up to twice their asking price a few months ago, no longer the amazing value they once were.

Seconding the Q40s, great headphones especially amped.

I'll have to try the Ultrasones, haven't had much experience with them as a brand.

Alucrid

Banned
If you wanted bass you should have got either the M-Audio Q40s (though they require a lot of ampage) or the Ultrasone HFI-580s IMO.

And how in the hell did those Sony's shoot up to twice their asking price a few months ago, no longer the amazing value they once were.

popularity? kinda happened with the M50 spike.

Ashhong

I just want the Shures because Kanye has them....

though yea, I should have thought more about the Q40s when I was purchasing my M50s. The M50s look nicer which I had to take that into consideration..I'm happy with them when moderately amped though.

I'm looking for a good pair of In Ear Headphones for my iphone.

Recommendations?

I don't want to pay over $75 if i can help it.

Been browsing and I found someone selling Bose IE2 for $60 new.

I presume that there's going to be a lot of bose hate here.

So what do you think? For that price are they any good?

Recommendations?

I can't comment on the Bose IE2s but have you checked the recommendations in the OP, my lord?

Recommendations?

This needs to be posted in the first post.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...ared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12

A comprehensive review thread of nearly every in-ear headphone with different price ranges & with the reviews making comparisons between the ones in their class.
Head-Direct RE0 for sound clarity & accuracy.
Hippo VB for bass.
Brainwavz M3 for all around.

Yeah, Joker and Clie0s's threads need to be stickies at this point. You're not going to find anyone with more comprehensive experience with in ear phones across all price ranges than with those two

Best is pretty subjective man. I'm sure my definition of best isn't going to be the same as another person's because different people tend to prefer different sound signatures. Some people like clinical, detailed and flat presentations, some people like warmer, mid focused presentations, and some people like to be pummeled with copious amounts of sub bass. You should read up on the sound signatures for the aforementioned phones and arrive at the conclusion yourself.

Ashhong

Got the Isurus in today, thanks HiRes! Gonna leave quick impressions, then maybe update later.

Comfort
First impression was that these things are huge! And such a weird angled design on the in ear part. It was missing the medium size ear buds so I tried the large and small and they both didn't fit well. Slapped on my CX300 tips and its all good. Really hard to get the tips on, and kind of hard to get them into my ear too. At first they are kind of uncomfortable. Not sure how I'll feel about them after extended use, or at the gym.

Sound
So little bass! Lol, but that was too be expected. How much use have these gotten HRD? I read that they get much better after like 100 or 200 hours. The mids seem very good though, nice and clear. The highs are a bit harsh, which is a first for me. I've never noticed that on any other headphones. Going to try some EQ settings out.

Overall
Soundwise, I think they beat my Meelectronic M21 and they have a better placed mic that works on my phone which I like. They go for about the same price as the M21, so If I can get used to the comfort then I would put these above them.

Thanks again! Any suggestions for other quality tips I should try?

Ashhong

...you don't say... :p

:) Just had to throw it out there lol in my ongoing search for a budget IEM with good bass and clear mids. With a little EQ tuning it sounded pretty good though.

Used them for about 2 hours in the gym today and found myself fiddling with one ear alot, trying to make it comfortable. It's not so bad that I wouldn't want to wear it, but it is a distraction. Such a weird design on these things..

Septimius

so I'm guessing it's looking like I'm getting the Shure SRH840 and Fiio E10, unless someone knows any other options to look at around that price-range. Looking for neutral headphones, and I'd be happy if they envelope my ear.

so I'm guessing it's looking like I'm getting the Shure SRH840 and Fiio E10, unless someone knows any other options to look at around that price-range. Looking for neutral headphones, and I'd be happy if they envelope my ear.
The above is my favorite combo in the price range by far. Only other suggestion for neutral phones worth looking into, that I can think of, are the Brainwavz HM5s. Overall though I prefer the Shures, especially amped.

The Pioneer HDJ-2000s are on par, but they are much pricier (and if they aren't, they're fakes).

HiResDes

KRK KNS8400 are as neutral as it gets, and around the same price range or cheaper.

HiResDes

:) Just had to throw it out there lol in my ongoing search for a budget IEM with good bass and clear mids. With a little EQ tuning it sounded pretty good though.

Used them for about 2 hours in the gym today and found myself fiddling with one ear alot, trying to make it comfortable. It's not so bad that I wouldn't want to wear it, but it is a distraction. Such a weird design on these things..

I guarantee you'd love the Fischer Eterna's....As for the Isurus, try the MEElectronic biflanges.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Since you're experimenting, you might as well waste $7 on that Monoprice IEM. Or do you already have that one?

Ashhong

I guarantee you'd love the Fischer Eterna's....As for the Isurus, try the MEElectronic biflanges.

These? http://www.fischeraudio.com/card.php?id=22 They have that same weird looking style as the Isurus. I might give them a shot later on. I'm liking the Isurus plus a microphone is a big plus to me.

Since you're experimenting, you might as well waste $7 on that Monoprice IEM. Or do you already have that one?

Hmm no not yet. Are they said to have good bass? I'll pick up a set, I live near their warehouse.

Crisco

Banned
So the Q701s are pretty awesome. Perhaps a tad bright and fatiguing to listen to at first, but you get used to it and I imagine they'll warm up a bit when they break in. I'm hearing details in songs I've listened to a million times that I've never heard before. Vocals especially sound amazing.

With the Audioengine D1, I did have some issues at first with crackling/popping/skipping on my work laptop (Dell E6410). Turned out to be something called DPC latency and http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml helped me debug it. I basically had to update every single driver and the bios on my machine. It now plays flawlessly off Google Music. Besides that, it's an impressive little device. Amazingly, it seems to do a better job amping these things than my home A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-V661). That was pretty surprising considering it's smaller than most wallets.

Hm, where are you supposed to buy Fisher headphones? In the US..

I assume I should get the rev.2?

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

That is a sorta definitely maybe.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...ared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12
Lastly, a note on the differences between the two Eterna revisions. The review above is based on the 2nd revision of the Eterna, which is the model currently stocked by Fischer retailers. However, the question on everyone’s mind seems to be whether the rev.2 Eterna is actually a step backwards from revision 1 of the earphone. Luckily, I was loaned a rev.1 model by a fellow Head-Fier for comparative purposes. To my ears the two revisions of the Eterna are extremely similar in sound – they have far, far more in common with each other than either one has with any earphone I’ve previously heard.
However, even just noticeable differences can manifest en masse. My impression of the differences as a whole is that the rev.1 Eterna is something of a rev.2 Eterna gone wild.
It is very clear that Fischer Audio attempted to ‘fix’ the significant mid-bass hump of the rev.1 by evening out the response of the rev.2. However, despite being even bassier than the 2nd revision, the rev.1 earphone actually has slightly superior low-end clarity and resolution. It is also not quite as thick-sounding, leading to slightly better air and separation and making the soundstaging seem even more impressive.
The newer Eterna does have some advantages of its own – the evened-out response helps bring the treble into focus, making detail easier to pick out, and the midrange has slightly better presence. And then there’s the background hiss, which is quite noticeable with the older model but almost nonexistent with the newer one. Yes, I personally like the Rev.1 earphone a little better still – it just sounds more unique, more special. But the fact that only the new revision is currently available will not stop me from recommending the Eterna in the least.

Alucrid

Banned

Ashhong

I had both (both bought from GD audiobase) and I personally like the Rev 2s as I'm prefer a neutral sound, and while these are far from neutral, they were a sliver more neutral while still pounding my ears with bass. The rev 1s are pretty damn fun, and if you're after that basshead feel go with them.

Cool thanks to you and Wednesday. I'll get these next if I ever decide to do that. Will probably keep an eye out for a used pair.

TUSR

Banned
Okay so recent my old iPhone/iPod headphones have not been cutting it for me and I was looking for an in ear solution to my problem. I'm looking to spend under 150$, I've heard raving reviews for klipsch S4i's and was looking at the Bose in ear model and I can't figure out which is better.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks guys.

Okay so recent my old iPhone/iPod headphones have not been cutting it for me and I was looking for an in ear solution to my problem. I'm looking to spend under 150$, I've heard raving reviews for klipsch S4i's and was looking at the Bose in ear model and I can't figure out which is better.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks guys.

You could do WAAAAYYYY better for the money. Both the Klipsch and the Bose are riding on the strengths of their respective brand names. You're paying for the supposed "prestige" attached to the label, not the performance the phones dole out.

TUSR

Banned
You could do WAAAAYYYY better for the money. Both the Klipsch and the Bose are riding on the strengths of their respective brand names. You're paying for the supposed "prestige" attached to the label, not the performance the phones dole out.

Well I haven't bought anything yet :) any idea what I should be looking at?

If it's Clarity you're after, the Fischer DBA-02 or the Brainwavz B2 would make the S4i/Bose IE2 sound like you're listening to mono recordings through a cheesecloth lol
The HifiMan RE0/Zero and the RE262 also fall into that price category. I really liked the RE262 for what it's worth. Great clarity and a extremely well done midrange with a touch of warmth, it also improves quite a bit with amping too. If you dont' want to bother with amping, looking into the DBA-02/B2.

pax217

Hmm no not yet. Are they said to have good bass? I'll pick up a set, I live near their warehouse.

They won't satisfy your bass needs as-is, but I've gotten a lot out of them with the E5 hooked up to them. I own a few pairs and still use them all on a regular basis.

If it's Clarity you're after, the Fischer DBA-02 or the Brainwavz B2 would make the S4i/Bose IE2 sound like you're listening to mono recordings through a cheesecloth lol
The HifiMan RE0/Zero and the RE262 also fall into that price category. I really liked the RE262 for what it's worth. Great clarity and a extremely well done midrange with a touch of warmth, it also improves quite a bit with amping too. If you dont' want to bother with amping, looking into the DBA-02/B2.

It's probably worth mentioning the build quality of the RE0/Zeros lately has been getting a lot of complaints, both here and elsewhere, so if you plan on using them while you're active (running, gym, etc) I'd recommend considering a different pair...

I'm looking to spend between $100 and $150 on a new pair of cans. Open or closed headphones, great sound quality, look cool, and are somewhat portable. If they can collapse, that's cool, but most important is that they are durable enough to use at home and on the road. I've been looking at the Grado SR125i or a pairs of Senheisers.

I'm a headphone newb, as my old Sony Studio Monitor cans just crapped out. Recommendations?

54-46!

I'm looking for a pair of compact supra-aural headphones to have while traveling, primarily for phone or laptop. 100$ price range.

Any ideas?

Edit: Currently looking at AKG K 450.

Hylian7

First off, a litttle warning: Do not buy the Plantronics Gamescom 777 headset. I've had mine for a year and a half, and the plastic is cracking and about to the point of breaking on it. It's cheap crappy material. Otherwise the headset is great, however that breaking plastic is kind of a dealbreaker.

Secondly, I'm looking to replace mine with something better. I was thinking getting these two things:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LBSEQS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thoughts on those?

Edit: I'll be using them at home, mostly playing PC games.

LCfiner

Any thoughts on the Grado 125i open cans? They're $150 and I'm about to pull the trigger.

I love grados. my only thought is that the 125i isn’t worth the price premium over the SR60 or SR80. you can save a little cash and get the same grado sound.

the big jump is from the SR60 to the SR225.

I love grados. my only thought is that the 125i isn’t worth the price premium over the SR60 or SR80. you can save a little cash and get the same grado sound.

the big jump is from the SR60 to the SR225.

So you think I should just get the SR80? Or is it worth it to go big money on the SR225?

I have Sennheiser HD 598 and I'm getting a new laptop soon: Sager NP 6165. I'm aware that the stock sound card isn't great, but I want to get the most out of my Sennheiser.

I need help finding an appropriate external sound card for my Sager. I heard about the Asus Xonar U3, but I have never gotten a sound card before.

I cannot spend much money, so my budget would ~$50, if the quality justifies the cost. What external sound card do you guys recommend?

What level of headphone amps would one need to boost the bass of the RE0 to the levels of the VB Hippos?
This thread has a review of several
I bought the fiio e5 a few years back & it barely improves anything on my Sansa Clip+ with stock headbuds.
E5%26Clip1.jpg

Will going with newer more expensive models really help with something like the RE0?

What level of headphone amps would one need to boost the bass of the RE0 to the levels of the VB Hippos?
This thread has a review of several

I bought the fiio e5 a few years back & it barely improves anything on my Sansa Clip+ with stock headbuds.
E5%26Clip1.jpg

Will going with newer more expensive models really help with something like the RE0?

Lol, there ain't a thing you can buy that will get a pair of RE0s to have the bass quantity of the hippos. If you want that type of bass, you buy phones that will dole out that quantity of bass. You can't EQ a bass lite phone to hit with the impact of a bass heavy one cause if that were the case, we'd all be content with $10 Coby's haha. You can EQ to help with the amount of presence the bass has, and help with extension to a point. If you push too much, the sound will clip and distort since the drivers weren't tuned that way

In my experience, amping earphones and in ear phones is seldom ever worth it since they are designed to be very efficient anyway. Some high end IEMs (like a number of customs, or ones with clinical presentations like the ER4/CK10 etc) will react to components in your chain more so than low/mid tier simply because they are so transparent/revealing/unforgiving of source quality. Other phones such as several HiFiMan models (RE262/272) are designed to be run with more current, which does help with driver control. I found the RE262 to sound more spacious and dynamic when amped for instance.

Top Bottom