• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Aaiaia tracks have a very faint but noticeable buzz during moments of extreme bass. Kinda sad.

Help me out GAF, end my misery. I'm torn between Audio-Technicas M50, Denon D1100 and Ultrasone 550 PRO. I ALMOST went ahead and ordered M50s, but I'm having second thoughts now, and I'm not really sure why ;) Anyway, I listen mostly to electronica, indie rock (shoegaze, noise rock, distorted guitars and sound-walls are my thing), some jazz and bass-heavy rap. If I had to give one example of music I mostly listen to it would be this track (if anyone cares to listen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbGpGJNVLM

So, will M50s be good choice or should I look somewhere else?

M50s will do very well with most of those genres except jazz and anything that is vocal (or any midrange sound) heavy.

Are you going to be using an amp (even a cheap Fiio E6)? If so, get M-Audio Studiophile Q40s. Best bass in the price range and amp'd give a nice smooth response for everything else.

No amp? Go for the Denon's or Shure SRH840s. Your song sounds pretty good with either (am testing it now), not "basshead" by any means, but nice thumpy bass and wonderful detail, especially the latter. Would pick the Shures myself, given the genre spread (and they are some of my favorite cans which helps lol).

Don't have much experience with the Ultrasones, maybe someone more knowledgeable here can chime in if they are any good.

zonezeus

M50s will do very well with most of those genres except jazz and anything that is vocal (or any midrange sound) heavy.

Are you going to be using an amp (even a cheap Fiio E6)? If so, get M-Audio Studiophile Q40s. Best bass in the price range and amp'd give a nice smooth response for everything else.

No amp? Go for the Denon's or Shure SRH840s. Your song sounds pretty good with either (am testing it now), not "basshead" by any means, but nice thumpy bass and wonderful detail, especially the latter. Would pick the Shures myself, given the genre spread (and they are some of my favorite cans which helps lol).

Don't have much experience with the Ultrasones, maybe someone more knowledgeable here can chime in if they are any good.

Ha, should've mentioned this earlier but yes, I will be using an amp, I'm getting some basic headphone DIY amp from a friend, not sure about any details tho because I have next to no idea about headphones, amps and all that. Q40s it is then, in all the reviews I've read they sound like what I want. Thank you very much for your help :)

Been poking around in the Aurisonics thread over at HF and it seems that the upcoming AS2 will feature a dual balanced armature/dynamic driver hybrid design. The dynamic driver will be full range and the BAs will function as tweeters. I can't imagine how ridiculous BA speed, clarity and separation will sound coupled with the ASGs amazing bass control. This design is extremely similar to AKG's K3003 hybrid design, but likely at a fraction of the cost. Can not frickin wait for this thing...

Thanks again all, got my M50 the day after I ordered them(!) and I am amazed at what a difference it really made. I thought it would be pearls before swine, but I really hear the difference from my older headphones. Haven't been able to test their isolation since I am alone but am super happy with them! :)

Anyone know of any good headphones (earbuds) that are more suited for the gym/active environments?
My iPod headphones just broke and I'm not about to go replacing them with the same thing.

LCfiner

Some initial thoughts on the Magnum upgrade for the grado 325i (or Alessandro MS2). originally posted on head-fi. these have new drivers and aluminum driver holders.

I got my magnums in today (light version without gimbals. shouldn’t affect sound, AFAIK).

First impressions: very impressive.

I am listening to them with flats, as the comfort improvement is too great to go back to bowls. Although I do have bowls that I fitted on them anyway to compare. The mids and bass get thinner and I can’t really notice any clear increases in soundstage (imaging is still precise) so I stick with flats.

Amped by an ALO Amphora. DAC is a Yulong D18. most tracks are 320 mp3, with a few 16 bit FLAC files here and there. playing via Fidelia on the Mac.

it’s been too long since I’ve listened to my (now sold) HF2 or RS1 but these seem to be more neutral without the shouty treble of the RS1. They have thicker mids reminiscent of the HF2 but I don’t detect the same, slight graininess to the sound that the HF2 had. These compare well with the GS1000 I have now for clear, grainless sound. One of the reasons I was able to sell my stax setup was that the GS1000 had a similar clarity (no grain) that I could not find with lower tier dynamics. (Of course, the GS1000 has a treble spike that needs taming but that was an acceptable compromise to me)

The Magnums are very fast. Any song I have with lots of layered instruments and fast tempos come across very clearly. I don’t get the impression that anything is being smudged or passed over by the headphones.

Example tracks: “Huron Beltane Fire Dance. Live” by Loreena McKennitt, “I Adore you” by Esperanza Spalding. there’s a lot of instruments vying for your attention at the same time (some of them very subtly at the edges of the recording) on these tracks and they all have a very clear position and can be identified. Some lesser headphones might smudge the softer instruments when a shaker is playing quickly throughout a song. not here.

In terms of timbre/ tonality, I am a big fan of what I’m hearing so far. there is a bit of lushness in the mids but I can’t figure out if it’s exaggerated or more natural compared to the thinner mids of the GS1000. I think it’s more in tune with real instruments and live vocals but, either way, it’s excellent and addictive. I should note that the lushness never feels syrupy or slow. there’s just a nice, good weight to vocals that just feels “right".

I recently started listening to “Salt for Salt” by Brown Bird and this album has lots of standing upright bass, guitar, tambourines, wooden stick percussion and everything sounds right on point. There’s a proper meatiness and texture to the bass, as it drives the rhythm on many of the tracks. The hollow echoing of the wooden block backing instrumnents is great - you almost get an impression of the room where the stick is being whacked by that echo. very, very nice.

I do detect some sibilance and perhaps resonance on some songs. My go to test for this is “California” by Joni Mitchell. there are a few high pitched vocals in the song can be piercing. Not so much as on the GS1000 but enough to be noticeable and make me wince. I found a slight EQ of 2 dB at 5 kHz helped a lot. (I saw that this is the largest ringing frequency from purrin’s CSD charts). But this is not noticeable on most songs I have listened to - the singer really needs to wail at that specific frequency for it to be an issue.

At this early stage, I think these are keepers. I have a pair of PS500 coming in early next week and I’ll be doing some comparisons. One of them will stay and one will go up for sale. I am fairly sure the GS1000 are going up for sale as I’m not convinced its soundstage and comfort improvements over the magnum are worth the tonality differences to my ears.

If I do keep the magnums, I may find myself selling this “light" pair if someone later on is selling a full upgrade pair with the nice, shiny gimbals. :)

shira

I went and ordered the M50 from Audio Technica in the end.

Only problem is if they sound better then my HD 555 Sennheiser at home I will want to take my work headphones home every night ;) (or order another pair...)

Did you get the BOA white edition ATH-M50's?
normal_audio-technica-boa_b_1024_768.jpg

pax217

The Magnums are very fast. Any song I have with lots of layered instruments and fast tempos come across very clearly. I don’t get the impression that anything is being smudged or passed over by the headphones.

That's the ticket. Whether it's rock, jazz, or even a movie-- this is what headphones have to be able to do. Glad to hear you like them, haven't heard a ton about the Magnum upgrade(s).

LCfiner

That's the ticket. Whether it's rock, jazz, or even a movie-- this is what headphones have to be able to do. Glad to hear you like them, haven't heard a ton about the Magnum upgrade(s).

yeah, they don’t seem to get a lot of press. I can understand why since it involves sending the cans off to a dude in Niagara Ontario (easy for me, another Canadian) to get the headphones modified. and the total conversion, if you buy everything new, gets very expensive (300 for the grados plus ~500 for the full magnum upgrade including fancy gimbals)

Although, even at 800 bucks for everything brand new, the sound I am hearing is better than my memory of the RS1, ($700) is better than the GS1000 in front of me ($1000) and compares pretty darn well with the HD800 ($1500) and Stax O2 (~$2500 plus custom amp)

It’s a more refined, less temperamental Grado with better controlled resonances, stronger bass, and a beefier lower midrange tonality. Anyone considering a TOTL can should consider the magnum.

The prices I have seen for them used the past few months on head-fi are criminally low (<400). bargain of the year, imo.

Hello Headphone gaf, I was wondering if any of you may be of assistance to someone who does not have much knowledge about these things.

I bought a pair of ATH-AD700 paired with a Aus Xonar D2x a few years ago. I actually got it for my brother who used it mainly for gaming and I was very happy with the bundle but had a few issues with bass but for the type of games it was being used for the soundstage really helped out. Now I just bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900 as It is a closed back thinking that I would get better bass with it in games but It will be equally used for films and music so I wanted to get something of an all rounder and a gaming headest with a microphone that is high quality is a little bit out of my price range. Before you ask, I did get the ATH-A900 for $170 (which is about $20 over my budget but it included delivery). I paired it with an Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 which was more of a gaming decision and the fact that i got it for $35 used.

I paired the cans with one of these microphones which I will modify to be detachable to the headphones so

Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone

I am just wondering if I will need to purchase any extra gear to get optimum use from the cans such as a headphone amp or will my current bundle be enough. From a gaming standpoint, have I made a good choice with regards to maybe spending the same money instead on a gaming headest as I wasn't sure there was anything adequeate at my price range. I bought the Sennheisser PC160's a few years ago in the $100-150 range and they were not the best for music or films but ok for games so I was basing it off that assumption.

I should be receiving the items in a few days so if there are any recommendations with setting for games especially or if there are any known design issues with any of the items let me know.

Finally am I going to get positive performance similar to the first setup of the AD700's and the Xonar D2X or is the experience very different?

HiResDes

Anyone know of any good headphones (earbuds) that are more suited for the gym/active environments?
My iPod headphones just broke and I'm not about to go replacing them with the same thing.

Just cop something cheap yet decent quality, like some MEElectronics M9.

Ha, should've mentioned this earlier but yes, I will be using an amp, I'm getting some basic headphone DIY amp from a friend, not sure about any details tho because I have next to no idea about headphones, amps and all that. Q40s it is then, in all the reviews I've read they sound like what I want. Thank you very much for your help :)

Edit: Ultrasone HFI-580s are fantastic if you can handle a bit of clamping.

I love how Jude will spin anything to sound like its aesthetically pleasing lol and looks aside, at least it looks like it will be a bit more rugged. A can like the D7000 looks like something you'd handle with kid gloves at all times to avoid scratching its finish :\

madmook

Hi all, not an audiophile, but would like to get some good over-the-ear cans. Jumped in with the $50 Sony MDR-XB500, and finding myself not satisfied. Bass is too excessive, which I sorta expected (but was hoping wouldn't be true), and it was mostly the relatively low price and the extra large ear cushions that persuaded me to start with this model.

So now, I'd like to know which model(s) do not have the over-powering bass. I have resigned myself to spending more dough for higher quality, and I had narrowed the choices down to the $290 Denon AH-D2000 and the $149 Audio-Technica ATH-M50. But some reviews say both of these also have very strong bass!

So, any suggestions? I want over-the-ear, comfy cushions, priority on clear highs/mids (that's treble, right?), non-excessive or even under-whelming bass, no noise-cancellation (don't wanna deal with batteries), budget is up to $300, hopefully available to buy at Amazon. Thanks, duders.

Kukuk

Banned
Hi all, not an audiophile, but would like to get some good over-the-ear cans. Jumped in with the $50 Sony MDR-XB500, and finding myself not satisfied. Bass is too excessive, which I sorta expected (but was hoping wouldn't be true), and it was mostly the relatively low price and the extra large ear cushions that persuaded me to start with this model.

So now, I'd like to know which model(s) do not have the over-powering bass. I have resigned myself to spending more dough for higher quality, and I had narrowed the choices down to the $290 Denon AH-D2000 and the $149 Audio-Technica ATH-M50. But some reviews say both of these also have very strong bass!

So, any suggestions? I want over-the-ear, comfy cushions, priority on clear highs/mids (that's treble, right?), non-excessive or even under-whelming bass, no noise-cancellation (don't wanna deal with batteries), budget is up to $300, hopefully available to buy at Amazon. Thanks, duders.

Both the models you mentioned are good, but they are a little heavy-handed with the bass, though nothing too extreme.

If you don't mind a fully open headphone, the Sennheiser HD598's are pretty damn awesome, and really hard to beat when it comes to unamped headphones.

If you need closed, the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II and Beyerdynamic DT1350's are really good. The AKG K271 MKII's are also a great option, and despite being priced well below either the other two, they are very comparable in sound.

madmook

Open or Closed?
Er, I read your description of open vs. closed in the OP, but that just goes over my head.

I am happily rocking $10 Sony earbuds (not IEM) and have been for many years, just want something with a bit "fuller" sound when watching movies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Protip: the XB stands for Extra Bass

Er, I read your description of open vs. closed in the OP, but that just goes over my head.

I am happily rocking $10 Sony earbuds (not IEM) and have been for many years, just want something with a bit "fuller" sound when watching movies.

Open means just that. They leak huge amounts of sound, but have better soundstage and other things I don't want to blanketly generalize. Blasting these on a city bus will get your butt kicked, and the other people in a quiet room or library will throw things at you.

Closed is the opposite. Maximum isolation from the outside world, minimal leakage.

shira

I have the athm50 and they are definitely the most normal looking headphones. Sound is unspectacular but very good for the price.
Try senn hd25ii if you want to look like a sportscaster

There is a new Sony model with vibrating motors for even more xtra bass
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/02/sony-intros-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset/&icid=eng_latest_art

Kukuk

Banned
Has anyone here seen the atrocious new Denon headphones?

denonx.jpg

900x900px-LL-4e5d4979_50_GC_AHNCW500SR_SILVER_Case_OPEN_EARPAD_OFF.jpeg

A whole gallery of these monstrosities here.

EDIT: Just saw someone posted a link above.

EDIT 2: Also saw people talking about them. Maybe I should read the posts above me more often. lol.

shira

I heard those new Sony Headphones can reproduce sounds well below frequencies audible to the human ear.
Isn't that just the Kickersubwoofer technology or the Panasonic VMSS.
Seems too gimmicky to work properly, but looking forward to reviews.

I'm sure I can demo them at best buy and buy them off amazon

HiResDes

Well I read up on them, and it seems Fostex no longer reproduces for Denon, so those new cans might not only look worse but sound worse as well.

Kukuk

Banned
Well I read up on them, and it seems Fostex no longer reproduces for Denon, so those new cans might not only look worse but sound worse as well.

The brown ones in particular inspire no confidence whatsoever. I don't like to hate on a headphone solely because of it's brand or looks, but shit, they just took the ugly designs too far.

Isn't that just the Kickersubwoofer technology or the Panasonic VMSS.
Seems too gimmicky to work properly, but looking forward to reviews.

I'm sure I can demo them at best buy and buy them off amazon

If they are anything like the Skullcandy Skull Crushers, they will be pretty offensive sounding. I also got the impression that they might be really bad for your hearing over long periods of listening, though I might have just thought that because it was so unpleasant...

shira

If they are anything like the Skullcandy Skull Crushers, they will be pretty offensive sounding. I also got the impression that they might be really bad for your hearing over long periods of listening, though I might have just thought that because it was so unpleasant...
Absolutely. I don't know how they get around the legalities.

So I've been in the market for some new cans for the last couple of months and could never decide on which ones to get. In the interim period I managed to pick up some urbanears plannten plus. They are pretty turd really, but for £20 theyre ok.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to improve the sound quality of these, I listen to mainly hip/hop, rap, dub step and electronic music and these seem to be lacking some low down bass.

Would one of these fiio amps I keep hearing about do anything or shall I just make do?

Thanks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
An amp won't do anything to help those.

Just save that money for a better headphone. You can get say a Brainwavz M2 for the price of a cheap amp probably.

HiResDes

So I've been in the market for some new cans for the last couple of months and could never decide on which ones to get. In the interim period I managed to pick up some urbanears plannten plus. They are pretty turd really, but for £20 theyre ok.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to improve the sound quality of these, I listen to mainly hip/hop, rap, dub step and electronic music and these seem to be lacking some low down bass.

Would one of these fiio amps I keep hearing about do anything or shall I just make do?

Thanks.

This chart doesn't look too promising:
1000x500px-LL-a43f5c73_graphCompare.php

...But considering they're 60OHM you might be able to improve the bass a bit with an E6 or something, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: If you're looking for cans, SR850s are great and affordable

Thanks for the help chaps, I wasn't expecting much from them. My main problem is I'm a whore for how my new headphones should look, and everything the I've seen within my price range just looks meh.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for the help chaps, I wasn't expecting much from them. My main problem is I'm a whore for how my new headphones should look, and everything the I've seen within my price range just looks meh.

If you like bright, showy headphones how about some of these?

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:aps,k:Audio Technica ATH SQ5&page=1

They were pretty good last time I remembered, pretty much my first real headphones. Might want to check more reviews though. Comfy as heck though.

hey headphone GAF, i need some help.

Trying to decide between these two (i know, but budget and size is my main concern)

Beats Solo HD
beats-solo-black.png

OR

AKG Q460
AKG-Q460-Green.png

Or are there other alternatives i should look at?

Yoshiya

hey headphone GAF, i need some help.

Trying to decide between these two (i know, but budget and size is my main concern)

Beats Solo HD
http://www.beatsdrecustom.com/images/magicthumbs/beats-solo-black.png[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Yuck. Look into Audio Technica's ES7s for well regarded, aesthetically strong and affordable portable headphones.

I came in hear to ask opinions on whether it was worth getting a desktop amp + DAC if I'm unwilling to spend over $100. That'd more or less restrict me to something like the Fiio E10. My primary source at the moment for home listening is an iPad 1, which I believe is said to have an alright DAC. Thoughts?

Yuck. Look into Audio Technica's ES7s for well regarded, aesthetically strong and affordable portable headphones.

yeah i have, have heard they are real prone to scratching etc, and my headphones for traveling frequently end up in my backpack with little or no protection.

Antiwhippy

Eh, they hold up pretty well if you're not an idiot about it. Plus I'm pretty sure they come with a cloth pouch for storage.

Top Bottom