• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
nice to know, will head out and try some today :)

knew i could count on expert-GAF to help out \o/

You might want to check if it comes with one. Sometimes packaging change.

Just be warned that it is really tight on the head. You might want to look up es7 headband modding, which is really just making "bending the headband a little bit" sound a little bit more fancy.

bedlamite

I can't recommend the AKG Q460s, the bass is extremely bloated and overwhelms everything. Sure they look good (I've a pair of the whites) and they are comfy but that's really all they have going for them. The Q460s are based off the K450s and while they only come in drab black, the 430s have a white colorway, you could try those. Much more balanced sound.

Fuck the Beats.

--------

I've also just got the FA-004s, definite V-shaped sound signature and just a very fun-sounding pair of cans. For the price you pay the packaging it comes in is ridiculous, my Q701s came in a shitty cardboard box but these cheapie headphones are lovingly packed into an awesome carrying case. I also snapped up the white but on closer inspection I 'm now thinking if the plastics don't look a little cheap....perhaps I should have gone with the brown/gold instead, hah.

Yoshiya

Eh, they hold up pretty well if you're not an idiot about it. Plus I'm pretty sure they come with a cloth pouch for storage.

True on both counts. I've had mine for years. The stainless steel's surface isn't perfect but then I don't need it to be; they still look great. The ES7 is pretty durable.

HiResDes

I can't recommend the AKG Q460s, the bass is extremely bloated and overwhelms everything. Sure they look good (I've a pair of the whites) and they are comfy but that's really all they have going for them. The Q460s are based off the K450s and while they only come in drab black, the 430s have a white colorway, you could try those. Much more balanced sound.

Fuck the Beats.

--------

I've also just got the FA-004s, definite V-shaped sound signature and just a very fun-sounding pair of cans. For the price you pay the packaging it comes in is ridiculous, my Q701s came in a shitty cardboard box but these cheapie headphones are lovingly packed into an awesome carrying case. I also snapped up the white but on closer inspection I 'm now thinking if the plastics don't look a little cheap....perhaps I should have gone with the brown/gold instead, hah.
Loving my FA-011s, which are also rather V-shaped.

vBsEW.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Can't be too excited about the amp, but awesome choice on the Azur. I love that thing.

For movies the Marantz is more than up to the task. My Manley in my 2-channel set-up is where my 800's are normally plugged in.

I have to say I barely listen to headphones anymore. Speakers are simply superior in every way shape and form. These days I only listen to my 800's for late-night listening, and that's rare.

So I'm wondering something. I have a pair of AKG K240s that have been working quite well for me. My first "entry" pair so to speak. I'm wondering why the volume is so low when plugged into my Droid Incredible, listening to FLAC. Is it me, or should these be powered? If so, any suggestions for a decent option that I can use both on the go, and at home that's not too bulky?

FoxSpirit

So I'm wondering something. I have a pair of AKG K240s that have been working quite well for me. My first "entry" pair so to speak. I'm wondering why the volume is so low when plugged into my Droid Incredible, listening to FLAC. Is it me, or should these be powered? If so, any suggestions for a decent option that I can use both on the go, and at home that's not too bulky?
Well yeah, K240s are quite power hungry.
For okay result, inexpensive, the FiiO E11, good quality, will reach decent level:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053KWDES/?tag=neogaf0e-20
For great result, higher price, awesome quality, can make you deaf:
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

The latter is quite a bit more bulky and heavy but in return is a true HiFi amp while the former is mostly a nice "on the go solution".

For movies the Marantz is more than up to the task. My Manley in my 2-channel set-up is where my 800's are normally plugged in.

I have to say I barely listen to headphones anymore. Speakers are simply superior in every way shape and form. These days I only listen to my 800's for late-night listening, and that's rare.
Wtf, a Manley?? Serious, serious cash and from what I saw cost more than your speakers :p

I've read through a lot of this thread but I'm no closer to making a decision regarding a new pair of headphones than I was before. I listen to mostly Top 40 type stuff, with the odd indie or electronic album and I'm looking for something over-the-head and closed. I have no plans to use these with an amp, just strictly on the go with my iPhone and the laptop at home. I have just started to build a collection of FLAC music, whether that makes a difference. I should also mention that budget is not much of a concern, though I don't want to spend more than $300. I was actually looking at Beats Solo HD, but reading the posts here, I've come to understand they are well over-priced and there are better options available.

Any recommendations?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sennheiser HD25-II.

AIAIAI TMA1.

Audio Technica ATH M50.

Just pick either of the 3. :p

Personally to me the HD25 is the king as far as portability goes. The wire is not heavy and the length is perfect, and the isolation is great. You can probably find it for $200.

I also prefer the sound compared to the rest but you might have different tastes.

FLAC doesn't make a difference if you're just listening straight from the DACs of your iPhone and laptop.

LCfiner

I've read through a lot of this thread but I'm no closer to making a decision regarding a new pair of headphones than I was before. I listen to mostly Top 40 type stuff, with the odd indie or electronic album and I'm looking for something over-the-head and closed. I have no plans to use these with an amp, just strictly on the go with my iPhone and the laptop at home. I have just started to build a collection of FLAC music, whether that makes a difference. I should also mention that budget is not much of a concern, though I don't want to spend more than $300. I was actually looking at Beats Solo HD, but reading the posts here, I've come to understand they are well over-priced and there are better options available.

Any recommendations?

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II ($200) possibly the more expensive Amperiors for a more refined sound

These work very well for pop rock. their limitation is a very small soundstage. instruments don’t have a lot of space around them. But they have better sound than most other 200 dollar headphones.

another option:

Skullcandy Aviators. ($150) these are really not bad and are easy to find at a big box store. they’re a bit bassy but not offensively so like most Beats. Not as well regarded as the HD 25 but a good choice for listening to mostly pop rock with no amp.

one more:

Audio technica ESW9. ($200 - $250) If you like the look of the redwood cups and like a thicker, more lush midrange sound, these are recommended.

HiResDes

I've only heard the AKGK701s, but if the reviews are accurate then these improve on the one problem that I had with the latter headphone. The AKG K550 supposedly keeps the sound clarity of the their open headphone brethren and adds bass, portability, and ridiculous isolation while only sacrificing soundstage. Once I get a little money these are going to be my next cans for sure...I was that impressed with the AKG reference sound.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've only heard the AKGK701s, but if the reviews are accurate then these improve on the one problem that I had with the latter headphone. The AKG K550 supposedly keeps the sound clarity of the their open headphone brethren and adds bass, portability, and ridiculous isolation while only sacrificing soundstage. Once I get a little money these are going to be my next cans for sure...I was that impressed with the AKG reference sound.

1. What is in your current stable?

2. Why did you never cop the HE-300?

HiResDes

Sold both my DT770s, Nuforce UDAC-2, several IEMs, copped the Fischer FA-011's to go with my Hifiman EF2A because I got a good deal on them and am now struggling to pay all of my bills (student loans are killing me).

FA-011s have some of the best bass I've heard out of an open-headphone, though AKG as a brand made realize that not every headphone I own needs to be V-shaped. The Fischer's are like baby HE-300s, but are a temporary possession until I land a real job.

any thoughts on Skullcandy's Aviators?

I loved the style when i first saw them, but being Skullcandy i pretty much assumed they'd be crappy sounding. Then i read some reviews over at Head-Fi and Inner Fidelity that seem to suggest they have a pretty good sound to them.

Anyone here have experience with these? It's primarily for bumming around town, commuting and travel I'd use them.

Kukuk

Banned
I really like the Aviators. I know there's a lot of people who don't, but considering Skullcandy's history, I think they are great. I really think they are the best headphones from the typical consumer-grade brands like Monster and Bose.

I prefer them to many Head-fi favorites, like the Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

FoxSpirit, thanks for the recommendation on the E11 - perfect price and holy shit at the difference. The quality is phenomenal for that price. I figured it would be a good first-buy item, and plan to get an O2 at some point for my home. The E11 will be perfect for on the go and work however. Really loving the sound of these phones now...

CrankyJay

Banned
Can GAF, halp!

I had this pair but they finally broke after 5 years. The plastic hinge on the right side snapped so now my ear pushes it out.

akg414-dfjsghjry5.jpg

AKG K414P...they were a good set for my needs and I'd like something similar or maybe one step up. I liked the can size so if you can recommend something close to these and in the $60-100 price range I'd appreciate it.

frequency

I think I have a problem.
I've been through 11 sets of portable headphones in the last 3 years or so. Ranging from cheap ~$15 KSC75's to ~$200 ATH-ESW9A's.

They all break the same way: wires gets disconnected or something and one of the sides loses audio. Moving the cord around will give temporary audio.

I know that wrapping the cord around stuff or pulling on them causes these problems but I don't know. I don't wrap the cord ever. When I get home, I just put the headphones laid out on a table. I don't pull on it or anything. Only time I ever put any force on it is to disconnect the plug lightly when I go to charge my S9.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. It could be normal wear since I have headphones with me pretty much all the time I'm out of the house (up to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week). But the headphones I use at home have lasted years and years with much more hours of use.

I must be mistreating them somehow but I really don't know. It's frustrating. I've spent so much money... I take care of my stuff. I never really have issues with anything breaking other than headphones. I am so jealous of people who have the same set for 5 years. Or even 2 years. I spend hundreds and hundreds every year on sets that people swear are durable. The problem has to be me.

I'm thinking about getting the Koss TBSE1 for the replaceable cable. But from what I understand, it's just a rebranded DJ100. I'm a bit unsure about spending double the price for it. And while I have amps for home, I'm not sure how portable it would be to go around with one all the time.

I've also looked at the SRH 440/840, but those seem too big for portable use.

frequency

That's why I only use IEMs outside of the house now, it's sad but true.

IEMs are really uncomfortable for me and it's hard to get them to stay in. My ears are too small I think.

That and I suffer from tinnitus (I know... how cliche), so I'm not sure I want to stick things so close to my ear drums.

Amagon

I picked up the Sony XB700 (used, like new) and the bass is not that great tbh. I don't know if the model is defective or needs a amp to drive the headphones. Only using my laptop and Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS for audio sources right now. But I'm kind of disappointed of the lack of bass on them. Soundstage is good but the bass is not punchy at all. Maybe I've been spoiled of what punchy bass sounds like since I've own a Beats by Dre Studio for the past couple years. Any suggestions?

Talon

What are you currently using? Can you recommend a set?
I'm using TMA-1s right now. Loving them. I have pretty eclectic tastes*, and I'm really impressed by the mids on these units. The bass is strong, but I don't find it overwhelming at all. The detail's especially great.

I'm used to Grado's, so these are certainly dark in comparison.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1
http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/2/

*Beirut, Arcade Fire, Of Monsters & Men, Yeasayer, Bon Iver, Black Keys, Edward Sharpe, Clipse, Big Boi, Kanye, Crystal Castles, Deerhunter, Vampire Weekend, The War on Drugs, Seabear, The National, Big KRIT

So, as you can see, a pretty wide range of sounds. The mid-heavy groups like Of Monsters & Men and Beirut sound phenomenal on the TMA-1.

HiResDes

I picked up the Sony XB700 (used, like new) and the bass is not that great tbh. I don't know if the model is defective or needs a amp to drive the headphones. Only using my laptop and Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS for audio sources right now. But I'm kind of disappointed of the lack of bass on them. Soundstage is good but the bass is not punchy at all. Maybe I've been spoiled of what punchy bass sounds like since I've own a Beats by Dre Studio for the past couple years. Any suggestions?

There are fakes out there, but in terms of just bass the XB500 should be comparable to the Studio even, though the rest of the sound spectrum isn't as good. In general I've heard XB500 > XB700, though you are comparing them to headphones three times their price.

Amagon

There are fakes out there, but in terms of just bass the XB500 should be comparable to the Studio even, though the rest of the sound spectrum isn't as good. In general I've heard XB500 > XB700, though you are comparing them to headphones three times their price.

Prolly just gonna sell the XB700 then.

Amagon

Yeah just go back to using your Beats.

I only like using them for the noise isolation. Anyhoot, whatever money I get back from the XB700 is going toward the Sennheiser HD 598 that I've been looking at for a while now. If anything, I'll get them at the end of the month.

madmook

Based on a recommendation from the previous page, I ordered a Sennheiser HD 598 because I was told the bass was kept under control.

Well I received them today just before I had to leave for work, and in the couple of minutes I had with them, they are exactly what I was looking for. No more bass overwhelming and muddling up the rest of the sound (compared to Sony's XB500).

It sounds like you're wanting big bass, so I probably wouldn't go for the HD 598's.

HiResDes

yeah check out the Ultrasone HFI-580s instead, unless you really want open headphones then check out the ones that I own (Fischer FA-011s)

Septimius

IEMs are really uncomfortable for me and it's hard to get them to stay in. My ears are too small I think.

That and I suffer from tinnitus (I know... how cliche), so I'm not sure I want to stick things so close to my ear drums.

Loudness is still a factor of power. Distance only means you need less power at the source, or diaphragm in the case of headphones/speakers, for the same loudness to reach your ears. Sitting in a room with music being "pretty loud" is the same toll on your ears as having something next to your eardrums, perceived as equally "pretty loud"

frequency

I'm using TMA-1s right now. Loving them. I have pretty eclectic tastes*, and I'm really impressed by the mids on these units. The bass is strong, but I don't find it overwhelming at all. The detail's especially great.

I'm used to Grado's, so these are certainly dark in comparison.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1
http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/2/

*Beirut, Arcade Fire, Of Monsters & Men, Yeasayer, Bon Iver, Black Keys, Edward Sharpe, Clipse, Big Boi, Kanye, Crystal Castles, Deerhunter, Vampire Weekend, The War on Drugs, Seabear, The National, Big KRIT

So, as you can see, a pretty wide range of sounds. The mid-heavy groups like Of Monsters & Men and Beirut sound phenomenal on the TMA-1.
Thank you. I'll look into it and hope they're readily available in my country if I like what I see.

Loudness is still a factor of power. Distance only means you need less power at the source, or diaphragm in the case of headphones/speakers, for the same loudness to reach your ears. Sitting in a room with music being "pretty loud" is the same toll on your ears as having something next to your eardrums, perceived as equally "pretty loud"
I think I understand.
It just seemed to make sense to me that having the sound source closer would be more problematic. But I'm dumb.

vmoda 80's. They're built like a tank, including the cord.. Plus, the cord detaches.

HiResDes

Also they make IEMs for people with the small ass ears, as I'm one of them. For example the Soungmagic PL50 comes equipped with tips that would fit in a toddler's ear lol.

Amagon

yeah check out the Ultrasone HFI-580s instead, unless you really want open headphones then check out the ones that I own (Fischer FA-011s)

Will check out the two that you recommended. Yea, I listen to EDM all the time so just looking for a good pair of headphones to go along with the experience.

HiResDes

Yeah that's what I listen to as well, both my DT770s and FA-011s do electronic music rather well. If the stuff you're listening to isn't super ambient I'd lean towards a closed headphone like the DT770s or Ultrasones I recommended, to help you narrow it down.

Amagon

Yeah that's what I listen to as well, both my DT770s and FA-011s do electronic music rather well. If the stuff you're listening to isn't super ambient I'd lean towards a closed headphone like the DT770s or Ultrasones I recommended, to help you narrow it down.
Appreciate it

Started browsing this thread recently when I started looking for some new headphones. I decided to get the cheap Sony XB300's. Probably could have spent a bit more for the XB500's but I figured if I didn't like these I could get some better ones down the line. Kept looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's.

Anyways, I think the XB300's are fine as they are my first real pair of decent headphones. I always stuck with the Apple earphones or some other cheap ones that would break in a month. They definitely sound better than any I had before. Noticed the bass immediately and I feel like it's the right amount. I'm no expert but having mostly crappy headphones and getting some decent ones for a change is a big improvement for me.

Overall I like them a lot. Been trying all different kinds of music and love the sound they bring out. Even done some gaming with them with good results. Makes me feel good i didn't get anything too expensive for now.

Top Bottom