• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes said:
Oh I'm sure 1ststrike and Swoon have some good stuff for you
I hope so. This stuff is making my head spin.

I also see a WooAudio WA6 going for $480 used at Head-Fi. Looks like a good price, but I assume I'd still need a DAC. I just dk.

1stStrike

Banned
I honestly can't give a lot of feedback based on anything other then what I've used. You know what I've got for my amp on the desktop, so no need to go into that again. It's custom built so there's no duplicating it.

And then I just got this Line portable amp, but that's not in the same class of what you're looking at.

I've got no experience with anything outside of these unfortunately.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
I hope so. This stuff is making my head spin.

I also see a WooAudio WA6 going for $480 used at Head-Fi. Looks like a good price, but I assume I'd still need a DAC. I just dk.
Most of the posts I read at head-fi about amps and the denon cans said that the denons work better with solid state amps rather than tubes.

And, yeah, there seems to be quite a few people saying that the E9 matches up rather well with other SS amps around double the price. So you might be looking at spending some considerable cash in order to get a real bump in performance. And who knows if that might be better spent on new cans instead, right?

It's a shame it's nearly impossible to find local stores to test this equipment before buying.

swoon

SET tube amps like the woo 6 and dna sonnett handle low ohm just fine. OTL designed amps struggle though that depends on a lot of different factors.

I think I've settled on the AD700s. They look really nice and the reviews I've read relay to me that they produce the type of sound I like to hear in headphones.

Oh should I get an amp for these? I'm using a Creative X-Fi soundcard.

Totakeke

LCfiner said:
And who knows if that might be better spent on new cans instead, right?

Why's that? An amp can change the sound signature a lot too. Though getting something to put on your head is definitely more fancy then a new box with dials and numbers. ;p

LCfiner

Totakeke said:
Why's that? An amp can change the sound signature a lot too. Though getting something to put on your head is definitely more fancy then a new box with dials and numbers. ;p
Well, I don't think a good amp should change the sound signature too much. I understand the importance of an amp but I feel that if someone is using an amp to compensate for things they don't like about their heapdhones, that they would be better off getting different headphones. :)

Alucrid

Banned
LCfiner said:
Well, I don't think a good amp should change the sound signature too much. I understand the importance of an amp but I feel that if someone is using an amp to compensate for things they don't like about their heapdhones, that they would be better off getting different headphones. :)

Well he is running the HD650s off the Fiio combo. I think a higher end amp could add a lot to those headphones. Or are you saying that the amp should be more neutral and leave it up to the cans to decide the sound?

LCfiner

Alucrid said:
Well he is running the HD650s off the Fiio combo. I think a higher end amp could add a lot to those headphones. Or are you saying that the amp should be more neutral and leave it up to the cans to decide the sound?
The latter

Though there are peeps on head-fi happily running hd800s on an E9. No idea if they're crazy or if they tested other amps too.

Alucrid

Banned
LCfiner said:
The latter

Though there are peeps on head-fi happily running hd800s on an E9. No idea if they're crazy or if they tested other amps too.

Oh okay. I gotcha now. My personal choice is go to with the synergy between the two and just go with what sounds good even if the amp 'colors' the sound a bit. Though I can see the positives to both.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
CF_Fighter said:
I think I've settled on the AD700s. They look really nice and the reviews I've read relay to me that they produce the type of sound I like to hear in headphones.

Oh should I get an amp for these? I'm using a Creative X-Fi soundcard.

No amp needed. They're really low impedance, and should sound great direct from the soundcard. Just don't expect a ton of bass, but if you find them lacking in any other way you can always get a dac. the uDAC did wonders for mine (by wonders I mean small changes you can appreciate, heh). Best advice I can give you is to listen to them first, then decide if you need anything else for them - but I don't think you will.

It'd be cool if someone made an amp guide to put in the OP. What are the generally suggested amps for around $250? Or do you need to spend more than that for an amp for a pair of high-end phones, like Beyer DT880/ AKG 701 level?

Alucrid said:
Well he is running the HD650s off the Fiio combo. I think a higher end amp could add a lot to those headphones.
Word.

From what I'm reading (example http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-dekstop-amplifier/)--and I agree with what I'm reading--it's a great amp that is very *neutral*. I was wondering how to describe it. It's very transparent. This is good and bad, depending on your cans, IMO. For example, I think most would agree that the HD 650's out of the box stuck on something neutral sounds kinda muffled up top and dark. something as neutral as the E9 will just make that sound louder. Same with the D7000. The highs are a little tighter, but still the same somewhat sharp highs.

Other amps change that sound, making up for some of the OTB issues, giving them that perfect sound. The same amps might make other cans sound worse. So it seems that it's all about finding amps that provide strength where your cans have weaknesses.

So for the 650's, I'd want an amp that warms and brings out the mids and adds detail to the highs. For the D7000s, I'd just want something that brings out the mids while softening the highs. I assume I won't find that in the sam amp now that I think about it. I think if Fiio had enabled the bass boost from the E7 on the E9, it may have made things very interesting.

TBH, the more I listen to the 650's exclusively on the E9 setup, the better they sound (ears getting used to less treble than the D7000). But I would like to hear something that will compliment them more. So I'm looking at the Woo Audio WA6 and a couple of others with an itchy trigger finger. I've been at this for hours. Time to take a break, I think.

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen.

1stStrike said:
It's a solid state. Check a few pages back for my massive post/pics on it. It was pretty much the best parts you could get at the time.
found it. looks great, really. DIY projects always seem fun. Until I think about how much time would go into it. lol

SleazyC

Dreams-Visions said:
Word.

From what I'm reading (example http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-dekstop-amplifier/)--and I agree with what I'm reading--it's a great amp that is very *neutral*. I was wondering how to describe it. It's very transparent. This is good and bad, depending on your cans, IMO. For example, I think most would agree that the HD 650's out of the box stuck on something neutral sounds kinda muffled up top and dark. something as neutral as the E9 will just make that sound louder. Same with the D7000. The highs are a little tighter, but still the same somewhat sharp highs.

Other amps change that sound, making up for some of the OTB issues, giving them that perfect sound. The same amps might make other cans sound worse. So it seems that it's all about finding amps that provide strength where your cans have weaknesses.

So for the 650's, I'd want an amp that warms and brings out the mids and adds detail to the highs. For the D7000s, I'd just want something that brings out the mids while softening the highs. I assume I won't find that in the sam amp now that I think about it. I think if Fiio had enabled the bass boost from the E7 on the E9, it may have made things very interesting.

TBH, the more I listen to the 650's exclusively on the E9 setup, the better they sound (ears getting used to less treble than the D7000). But I would like to hear something that will compliment them more. So I'm looking at the Woo Audio WA6 and a couple of others with an itchy trigger finger. I've been at this for hours. Time to take a break, I think.

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen.
When I almost pulled the trigger on a D7000 all the research I did said that solid state amps had better synergy with it than a tube amp. Been a while so I forogt just about all the amps I was looking to pair with it but a spin through the D7000 thread on Headfi should give you a couple choice amps to look at.

1stStrike

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
found it. looks great, really. DIY projects always seem fun. Until I think about how much time would go into it. lol

Yeah, if I can remember it took poweld about a couple weeks to get it all together. He ran into a snag which delayed it a bit, but eventually got it. I think one of the parts came in bad too, so had to wait on a replacement. Now that I've got my little Linearossa amp and my FX700's (they shipped out from Japan yesterday, so should be here this week I hope) I'm pretty much covered on all my bases.

I'm really looking forward to these new ear buds. It's crappy listening to any songs with bass on these Bose's since they sound like shit.

poweld

dr3upmushroom said:
It'd be cool if someone made an amp guide to put in the OP. What are the generally suggested amps for around $250? Or do you need to spend more than that for an amp for a pair of high-end phones, like Beyer DT880/ AKG 701 level?
Yeah, Tangentsoft's guide for the PPAv2 is great for that price range, however if this is your first time with electronic DIY I'd suggest you start with a smaller, less expensive beast to learn the ropes. The CMoy pocket amp (also a guide on Tangentsoft) is a perfect one to start on, as it requires no special PCB or pricey elements ($45-60 total) and can be finished quickly.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help.

dazed808

Dreams-Visions said:
now that I think about it. I think if Fiio had enabled the bass boost from the E7 on the E9, it may have made things very interesting.

Have you tried chaining them (USB > E7 - Volume set at 58 > E7 Line out > E9 Line in) as this allows you to use the Bass Boost options. It's aesthetically not as neat as docking the E7 but I find it definitely helps tame the highs on my Sony V6's and I can't perceive any loss in SQ, though that may just be down to my aging ears!

Xater

Ok guys I need some recommendations. I realize I can no longer wear those in ear headphones and want some proper ones.

So what I need are some normal headphones that are portable but are still well isolated. I am mostly wearing my headphones on the train or going through the city. I also have relatively big ears and am willing to pay 60€. That's around 80 US dollar.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
Word.

This is why I tend to prefer the concept of the neutral amp. If someone is going to get serious about this synergy between amp and headphones, where one compensates for the other, then there is a very real possibility that you're looking at multiple large amps for different music and headphones. All the permutations and combinations of multiple amps and headphones can get unwieldy.

and that requires space and money and, perhaps more importantly, tons of testing between different amps to find the ones that work amongst multiple headphones.

it creates these complications. which is fine if someone is looking for complications (or the pinnacle of sound reproduction) but I am always looking to reduce clutter and complexity from my desk or living room. Which is why I would prefer to use a good quality neutral DAC/AMP combo and get the headphones that have the sound signature I want.

Totakeke

LCfiner said:
This is why I tend to prefer the concept of the neutral amp. If someone is going to get serious about this synergy between amp and headphones, where one compensates for the other, then there is a very real possibility that you're looking at multiple large amps for different music and headphones. All the permutations and combinations of multiple amps and headphones can get unwieldy.

and that requires space and money and, perhaps more importantly, tons of testing between different amps to find the ones that work amongst multiple headphones.

it creates these complications. which is fine if someone is looking for complications (or the pinnacle of sound reproduction) but I am always looking to reduce clutter and complexity from my desk or living room. Which is why I would prefer to use a good quality neutral DAC/AMP combo and get the headphones that have the sound signature I want.

Or you can just stick to one or two headphones that you really like and focus on improving the dac/amp instead of getting more headphones. ;p

poweld

LCfiner said:

That isn't finding the pinnacle of audiological perfection, it's throwing away money. If you feel strongly that a set of cans needs some nonlinear amplification in a particular frequency band, then modifying the source and feeding it through a stable amplifier will produce the desired results.

Since we have audio sources with EQ memory a configuration for each set of cans is easy to switch to, and no change in amplification is necessary.

LCfiner

poweld said:
That isn't finding the pinnacle of audiological perfection, it's throwing away money. If you feel strongly that a set of cans needs some nonlinear amplification in a particular frequency band, then modifying the source and feeding it through a stable amplifier will produce the desired results.

Since we have audio sources with EQ memory a configuration for each set of cans is easy to switch to, and no change in amplification is necessary.

Hey, I agree with you, but there's a bunch of people out there who think that they need to find the right synergy between components in their chain to get the sound they're chasing.

perhaps I should have worded that part of my post better

My Sennheiser HD555 headphones are already breaking where the ear muffs meet with the headband. I babied them but the build quality on these suck. I am looking for a durable set of closed ear headphones and I came across the Audio Technica M50 set and they seem to be getting great reviews and durable for heavy usage. Anyone own a pair of these that could tell me how they are? I am also not dead set on the M50, if you have any recommendations on a pair let me hear them. Keep in mind though that my budget is around $150.

poweld

LCfiner said:
Hey, I agree with you, but there's a bunch of people out there who think that they need to find the right synergy between components in their chain to get the sound they're chasing.

perhaps I should have worded that part of my post better
No, I understand, I just wanted to clarify for anybody thinking about obsessively adding components to their ever-expanding rig that it's a fool's errand. One good amp is really all you need.

MrBig

Fourman said:
My Sennheiser HD555 headphones are already breaking where the ear muffs meet with the headband. I babied them but the build quality on these suck. I am looking for a durable set of closed ear headphones and I came across the Audio Technica M50 set and they seem to be getting great reviews and durable for heavy usage. Anyone own a pair of these that could tell me how they are? I am also not dead set on the M50, if you have any recommendations on a pair let me hear them. Keep in mind though that my budget is around $150.
There's a lot of people here that just got the M50's, including me. They're a little bass heavy and good for everything besides high pitched classical or singing. Definitely needs an amp,it has crackly highs without one through my laptop, but an amp fixes all that. It also seems to work just fine without an amp on my Zune HD though. Soundstage is fantastic. Isolation is ok, you'll be heard in a quit room and can hear people talking if you don't have anything playing.
I've already dropped them twice and they're fine, and the build quality is solid. I may look into replacing these pleather pads eventually though.

HiResDes

Oh man new Meelectronics Reviews are coming out and they are quite positive, apparently the ceramic CC51's are fantastic, and the A151 beats out the PL50 in just about everyway! And the M21 supposedly > M11, at 20 dollars less. HOLY SHIT!

Pyrokai

Hi guys--trying to decide between Sennheiser HD515 or HD 555s. I'm going to be using this mostly for gaming.

The difference is almost $50 ($54 vs. $91) on Amazon, and I'm strapped for money, but I also don't want to regret purchasing a 515 instead of a 555 down the line.

So, is it worth almost double the price for the 555s?

poweld

Pyrokai said:
Hi guys--trying to decide between Sennheiser HD515 or HD 555s. I'm going to be using this mostly for gaming.

The difference is almost $50 ($54 vs. $91) on Amazon, and I'm strapped for money, but I also don't want to regret purchasing a 515 instead of a 555 down the line.

I don't know much about the 515's, but I wouldn't recommend the 555/595's if your main use for them will be gaming.

HiResDes

Pyrokai said:

515's suck basically, so yes the 555 are worth nearly double the price. Oh and I'll cosign what he said about gaming.

HiResDes

Xater said:
Ok guys I need some recommendations. I realize I can no longer wear those in ear headphones and want some proper ones.

So what I need are some normal headphones that are portable but are still well isolated. I am mostly wearing my headphones on the train or going through the city. I also have relatively big ears and am willing to pay 60€. That's around 80 US dollar.
You're not going to be able to find a light portable headphone with really good isolation for 80 dollars...They are either going to be heavier than you'd like or not isolate well enough, so you'll have to make a compromise.

I'd say check out the MEElectronics HT-21, as they are extremely portable, but the isolation is fairly mediocre. They are also half the price!

Xater

HiResDes said:
You're not going to be able to find a light portable headphone with really good isolation for 80 dollars...They are either going to be heavier than you'd like or not isolate well enough, so you'll have to make a compromise.

I'd say check out the MEElectronics HT-21, as they are extremely portable, but the isolation is fairly mediocre. They are also half the price!

Well isolation doesn't have to be perfect, I jus don't want crank up my iPhone to 11 in a normal street situation. My ears are already fucked I don#t want to make it worse. :/

Hari Seldon

Fuck I got a bug up my ass to pre-order a set of Westone 4s for $450. I never liked IEMs, but I had bought a set of Shure e3gs a long time ago and started listening to them again and really like how portable it is compared to full sized cans with their long ass cables. I have been looking for an ultimate setup for listening at work. I wonder how much a step up these Westones would be from my Shure's?

poweld

Pyrokai said:
I just hope the base isn't too much. Sometimes bass hurts my ear. I wish all headphones had base control :p
On the iPhone you can use the "Bass Reducer" equalizer preset to help alleviate this problem.

HiResDes

Hari Seldon said:
Fuck I got a bug up my ass to pre-order a set of Westone 4s for $450. I never liked IEMs, but I had but a set of Shure e3gs a long time ago and started listening to them again and really like how portable it is compared to full sized cans with their long ass cables. I have been looking for an ultimate setup for listening at work. I wonder how much a step up these Westones would be from my Shure's?
The Westone 4's are definitely going to be a huge upgrade, in face the Westone UM3X would even be a huge upgrade...But if you want to save money the Fischer Audio DBA-02's are some of the best bang for your buck, although they are currently on backorder.

Hari Seldon

HiResDes said:
The Westone 4's are definitely going to be a huge upgrade, in face the Westone UM3X would even be a huge upgrade...But if you want to save money the Fischer Audio DBA-02's are some of the best bang for your buck, although they are currently on backorder.

Damn that is a good price. I'll check those out on head-fi. Thanks.

Pyrokai

Okay, so I'm about to push the button to order those JVC HARX700 for gaming, but before I do I just want to know if anyone else has recommendations for gaming headphones without too high of base for around this same price ($30-50).

HiResDes

Pyrokai said:
Okay, so I'm about to push the button to order those JVC HARX700 for gaming, but before I do I just want to know if anyone else has recommendations for gaming headphones without too high of base for around this same price ($30-50).
AD700s maybe

HiResDes

Extollere said:
$100 on Amazon right now :/
Hahaha, my fault, I think they are usually about $80 bucks anyway...But that guy seems confused to me. If you're using the headphones to play FPSs you're gonna want a lot of bass. Good bass and soundstage in fact are what are most important.

Oh man I forgot about the Superlux HD 681's , get these if you haven't already purchased the JVC's.

Edit: In fact cancel your order and get those if you can

HiResDes said:

How do they compare to the PX100s in portability and comfort?

HiResDes

ChoklitReign said:
How do they compare to the PX100s in portability and comfort?
It's a wash, the PX100s might sound slightly better but they are open and leak a shitload of sound, whereas the HT-21s are closed leaking less and providing some isolation.

Pyrokai

HiResDes said:
Hahaha, my fault, I think they are usually about $80 bucks anyway...But that guy seems confused to me. If you're using the headphones to play FPSs you're gonna want a lot of bass. Good bass and soundstage in fact are what are most important.

Oh man I forgot about the Superlux HD 681's , get these if you haven't already purchased the JVC's.

Edit: In fact cancel your order and get those if you can

I haven't ordered yet so all is good. I walked away to eat lunch before I ordered :p

But yeah, I know bass is a good thing, as long as it doesn't hurt my ears. I've only used my sister's Skull Candy headphones (which has adjustable bass) and I always found myself turning it far down. Music in video games is also important, too, so I want good sound for that, not just explosions :p . This is for all consoles (via TV) and my computer.

I'm going to go ahead and order these. I'll take your word that they're good and I'm sure I'll be pleased :)

Top Bottom