• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

I actually got the math wrong in my original post. It's $250 plus $15 plus $12, so $277, I somehow omitted $5 from the previous total. Lack of sleep and all these subnetting binary calculations are slowly eroding my brain :/

Don't worry, just got out of a midterm. Multi-variable calculus and nasty, nasty stats. (Non-lin Econometric Analysis)

1337131922648.png

I'm considering purchasing headphones soon so I was sondering what you guys would suggest for a commuter. Preferably closed headphones with price range of 100-250 USD.

I'm considering purchasing headphones soon so I was sondering what you guys would suggest for a commuter. Preferably closed headphones with price range of 100-250 USD.

What music you listen to? Going to be using an amp?

----------

EDIT: for those interested in T50RP mods, the BMF is a more bassy alternative to the Mad Dogs and is really easy to do. Also Mayflowerelectronics will sell you an equivalent for $200 here. Or an even cheaper version ($140) here.

LCfiner

I actually got the math wrong in my original post. It's $250 plus $15 plus $12, so $277, I somehow omitted $5 from the previous total. Lack of sleep and all these subnetting binary calculations are slowly eroding my brain :/

@LC - wow, you can't install them yourself? I wonder what kind of mods are being done to the phones?

It's still just the pads but Dan at MrSpeakers said there were some differences between the hand made pads he made and the full production models that do not allow for a DIY solution. Or, at least, a DIY solution that is possible for someone ignorant of the other mods made to the headphones.

I had the option to cancel the Dog Pads purchase altogether but decided to spend the 25 bucks for shipping and get the upgrade. I knew I'd be forever curious if I didn't.

Theonik

I'm sort of in a dilemma, I am looking for a DAC/AMP for my headphone setup.
I need to have an optical port on it so I can connect it to my PS3. It is also to be used for my PC. I would also be OK with just a DAC and a separate amp so long as it stays in a budget of under 400 Euro. (lower is better) Any suggestion also needs to be capable of bypassing the amp to be used as a separate DAC. (planning to upgrade to more demanding phones than the HD555 I have and want to re-use the DAC)
I have narrowed it to the Aune X1 and the Matrix M-Stage Amp. Other suggestions welcome!
(mostly need some sort of confirmation before pulling the trigger)

I'm sort of in a dilemma, I am looking for a DAC/AMP for my headphone setup.
I need to have an optical port on it so I can connect it to my PS3. It is also to be used for my PC. I would also be OK with just a DAC and a separate amp so long as it stays in a budget of under 400 Euro. (lower is better) Any suggestion also needs to be capable of bypassing the amp to be used as a separate DAC. (planning to upgrade to more demanding phones than the HD555 I have and want to re-use the DAC)
I have narrowed it to the Aune X1 and the Matrix M-Stage Amp. Other suggestions welcome!
(mostly need some sort of confirmation before pulling the trigger)

Audio-GD is the way to go for DAC/Amps.

In that budget, get 11.32 for a detailed, clean, "analytic" sound, or get 12.1 for a slightly warm, still detailed, "musical" sound.

Both have optical outs, both have better headphone amps than the Matrix M Stage. Just depends whether you want the cold details of a Sabre DAC or the warm musicality of a dual Wolfson.

TxdoHawk

I finally gave up trying to find my lost S4s. :/ What are the bang for the buck standout IEMs in the $50-100 range right now? I like the way the S4 sounds, but I'm open to other audio signatures. Durability and comfort are big pluses. I poked through the OP but nothing stood out as an obvious choice.

pax217

In that budget, get 11.32 for a detailed, clean, "analytic" sound, or get 12.1 for a slightly warm, still detailed, "musical" sound.

Both have optical outs, both have better headphone amps than the Matrix M Stage. Just depends whether you want the cold details of a Sabre DAC or the warm musicality of a dual Wolfson.

Ahhh that website hurts my head

Hootie

Get the Phiaton MS400s. They are amazing and look really sleek. They're only $160 on Amazon, its a steal

What music you listen to? Going to be using an amp?

----------

EDIT: for those interested in T50RP mods, the BMF is a more bassy alternative to the Mad Dogs and is really easy to do. Also Mayflowerelectronics will sell you an equivalent for $200 here. Or an even cheaper version ($140) here.

70s-90s Rock, Pink Floyd to Deftones. I would consider an amp, though I would prefer not to need one.

Theonik

I'm probably going with the 11.32 if it's as good as I am lead to believe. Do you know what the TCXO upgrade is about? Also I am guessing it's substantially better than the Aune X1 for the price difference.

Alucrid

Banned
I got Dre Beat studios and a pair of $20 sony earbuds. In all honesty they both sound about the same in my eq'd laptop/iphone.
I threw out my eternas for the beats iem. I mean they have a cord that doesn't tangle. I put it in my pocket pull it out and it's not tangled. That's like better than any audiophile mumbo jumbo

Frester

Can GAF recommend me some headphones? I'm looking for some to use when gaming in my apartment so my girlfriend doesn't have to listen to video game music/sounds. Couch is about 6-8 feet from my TV, looking to spend around $100-$150.

pax217

Can GAF recommend me some headphones? I'm looking for some to use when gaming in my apartment so my girlfriend doesn't have to listen to video game music/sounds. Couch is about 6-8 feet from my TV, looking to spend around $100-$150.

I threw out my eternas for the beats iem. I mean they have a cord that doesn't tangle. I put it in my pocket pull it out and it's not tangled. That's like better than any audiophile mumbo jumbo

cP47M.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Bam...Phiaton MS400 are falling apart. I left them in the car and I guess it got really cold and the earpiece snapped off as I picked them up.

No headphones outside of my Ultrasone HFI580 have lasted me more than a few years.

pax217

Bam...Phiaton MS400 are falling apart. I left them in the car and I guess it got really cold and the earpiece snapped off as I picked them up.

No headphones outside of my Ultrasone HFI580 have lasted me more than a few years.

How long have you had them?

TheExodu5

Banned
Maybe it was the carbon fiber? Unless it was treated to very high and very low temps, it's odd they woul break so easily.

It's where the cylindrical part of the headphones connects to the band. If you notice, it's just attached by two small plastic tabs. One of the tabs broke off. Any time you pick up the headphones by one of the cans, it applies torque against those two tabs. That was enough to do it.

hauton

Crosspost with the FXT90 thread on Head-Fi:

Bit the bullet on a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s to replace my dead but not forgotten Panasonic RP-HJE900s. Before those, I had some Etymotics that died far too quickly and were rather quite forgettable (ER6s I believe).

Disclaimers: I am probably still giddy over the new toy (I have been IEM-less for far too long) and these have not been burnt in at all. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music, focusing on House although I'm really open to anything. Songs are either streamed via YouTube, SoundCloud, or 320kbps mp3s from my small personal collection directly from either my desktop PC, Ultrabook or smartphone.

Long story short: I'm no professional audiophile, and this isn't an intensely analytical review. I'm looking for something I can enjoy casually without having to break the bank or encumber myself with a ridiculous setup. Nevertheless, here are some initial impressions if anyone was interested. So far: a mixed bag, but promising.

To begin, these are not basshead IEMs - the HJE900s definitely win in that arms race. Nonetheless, the bass is very satisfying. What the FXT90s lack in sheer quantity, it makes up for with an impressive attack free of any bloat, coupled with a low-end rumble that frankly, given the rest of the bass, absolutely blindsided me. A supremely confident purr that provides excellent backdrop to the lively impact of the mid and upper bass. That being said, when that growl isn't there, that higher end suddenly feels very anemic, naked even. Unfortunately, the rest of the frequency does not exactly mask this sore spot.

For most people, I would imagine the mids would be considered slightly "warm". For me, who has primarily listened to nothing but "warm" headphones, I feel the mids are actually quite recessed. While the FXT90s don't hide the mids in a dark closet, no song I've listened to can bring them to the front over the hard-punching bass or the sparkly treble. As much as I want to throw the "analytical" word down, there is still an evident touch of warmth in the lower-mids and a tinge of airiness as the mids approach highs. In comparison, the HJE900s definitely carried its bucketloads of bass through to the mids, wrapping the entire range in silky warmness that let songs ease on through much easier.

Once it does get into the highs though, that tinge turns into a downright crackle. Like a shot of crisp winter air down your nostrils, the upper end is refreshing but also chilling. People have also said the HJE900s are bright, but I only felt that way about the very tip of the treble response there, whereas I feel brightness is currently much more endemic in the FXT90s. The other thing to note is that there is a definite hint of sibilence, which if it doesn't go away via burn-in, might be grating, but only on extended listening sessions. Overall, there's a clear emphasis on the treble that allows the high notes to really dance on top of everything else.

I've never been much of a soundstage fanatic, but I can definitely hear the difference with these headphones. But it's very hit or miss - certain songs can really isolate and bring out individual aspects, whereas other songs the lines are very much still blurred. This brings me to a point I've been meaning to bring up - I don't think these are very forgiving earphones. I've mentioned that I stream a lot (most) of my music - the HJE900s would sometimes turn songs ugly, and I suspect that much of the same is going on here. Poor sound quality may be causing a lot of details to be lost in translation. After more burn-in, I really want to see what impact bitrates and sources have on this.

At $89, these are a pretty amazing deal. That being said, I have to see how that bass and mid resolve during burn-in - as they stand now, I would really have to convince myself not to return these for something more refined.

Anyways, just my $0.02.

I bought some V-Moda M80s from Amazon recently and the more I listen to them the more I feel like the left ear-cup is just so much louder, I feel like the vocals mainly come from the left no matter what I'm listening to be it music or podcasts. Of course this could jut be how it's supposed to sound and I'm being a complete idiot.

[EDIT] Okay there HAS to be something wrong with them but of course my Amazon 30 day returns limit expired about 2 and a half hours ago. Anybody from the UK ever had to return something to V-Moda, do they have somewhere in the UK I can send them to?

Recon

Banned
Shit, my standard apple ear buds are dying after only 6 months of use. Where am I to procure earbuds/In ears of such high quality with mic/ipod controls?

Guys? Bone conduction headphones? What's the best around for less than 60$?

I hate IEMs and honestly using headphones like my Porta Pros for excercizing would eventually render them a stinky mess, so I'd like to try using some bone ones, mainly due to the fact that you can still hear your surroundings so well, I usually bike through some busy areas...

I bought some V-Moda M80s from Amazon recently and the more I listen to them the more I feel like the left ear-cup is just so much louder, I feel like the vocals mainly come from the left no matter what I'm listening to be it music or podcasts. Of course this could jut be how it's supposed to sound and I'm being a complete idiot.

[EDIT] Okay there HAS to be something wrong with them but of course my Amazon 30 day returns limit expired about 2 and a half hours ago. Anybody from the UK ever had to return something to V-Moda, do they have somewhere in the UK I can send them to?

First, have someone else listen to them to confirm. Go to the V Moda website and talk to someone in support. They're pretty helpful. I can't guarantee it won't cost anything to ship, but as long as you bought them through an authorized dealer (listed on the site for UK stores), they'll take care of you.

jayb

does anyone here have experience with the Turtle Beach DSS2 surround sound processor? And more importantly, has anyone compared it to the Astro Mixamp?

I'm on a budget of ~$150 and am looking for solution mostly for gaming, but also to watch a few movies.

I'm thinking about getting the Mixamp + KSC75 just to tie me over until I can get a better set of headphones.

the other option would be the DSS2 (which is cheaper than the stand alone mixamp) + a better set of headphones like the Creative Aurvana Live Headphones. Or if I stretch the budget, the DSS2 + the HD555s.

The Mixamp seems like it might be the safer choice since that seems to be the more popular dolby decoder, but i can get more for my money with the DSS2 options.

any thoughts?

TxdoHawk

Well, after hemming and hawing about it, I ordered some HiFiMan RE-0s from Head-Direct. I'm going to see if I like the more "clinical" signature. People seem to love 'em, build issues aside, and I won't be too crushed at $50 if they don't work out.

TheExodu5

Banned
I know I'm not rolling like some of you guys but I just picked up a pair of sennheiser 280 pros...they are good right gaf?

Sennheiser 280 are well respected as far as I know. They've been around for a good while and I've seen lots of recommendations for them. Haven't heard them personally, but I'm sure they'll be good.

Sennheiser 280 are well respected as far as I know. They've been around for a good while and I've seen lots of recommendations for them. Haven't heard them personally, but I'm sure they'll be good.
Yeah I read a lot of reviews before buying a pair of headphones. I wanted to keep it around $100 so these seemed perfect.

HiResDes

I think they used to have those at my guitar center, kind of reminded me of the M30s, but with a slightly better midrange. I still would pick the Koss Pro DJ100 over them, but it's not night and day.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well, after hemming and hawing about it, I ordered some HiFiMan RE-0s from Head-Direct. I'm going to see if I like the more "clinical" signature. People seem to love 'em, build issues aside, and I won't be too crushed at $50 if they don't work out.

The RE0 is only $50 now? That's insane!

I highly recommend you take the RE-ZERO instead though. Can't believe it's down to $59. I might just buy another pair, instead of saving up for the RE-272.

Top Bottom