• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Recon

Banned
Nope, stuck-up and pretentious.

Dre Beats are decent mid-range headphones priced on the high end. They are worth it if you can get them on discount and appreciate the style. The main problem is just that they are grossly overpriced. Like the Bose of headphones.

Well, the Solo Beats are truly bad. Studios are just "ok", but with overblown bass. The Pros are good, just way overpriced. See, nothing pretentious about what I said.

Tabris

Well, the Solo Beats are truly bad. Studios are just "ok", but with overblown bass. The Pros are good, just way overpriced. See, nothing pretentious about what I said.

Pretty pretentious still. What makes the Solo HD Beats so bad according to you?

Recon

Banned
A bit excessive, no?

Barely any detail, overblown bass,cheap build quality, and to top it all off they are about $150 more than they are worth. So yes, truly bad. Fine if you disagree with me, but to call an opinion "pretentious" because you disagree is laughable.

LCfiner

I had forgotten how much I dislike the Beats stuff till I went to a future shop and listened to the demo models for the first time in a couple years.

the beats pro - which are around $450 have a really big and rounded bass (seeps into mids) but I can still hear some decent mids and they're not... terrible. none of the songs running in the loop that I heard had any real treble info. So these aren't terrible but they're 450 bucks and they do not sound like they're worth more than a couple hundred (Denon D2000 are better, for example). that big bass and slowish, mushy sound should really be unacceptable for something that expensive.

The beats solos. the 250 dollar on ear models sounded really weak to me. mushy, slow sound. boomy bass but shitty, recessed mids. I thought these are really bad for any price. Like i've said in this thread before: those noontec zoro aesthetic ripoffs sound waaay better, fit about the same, and only cost $70.

On a brighter note, I heard the Sennhesier Amperiors today at the Apple store. these are good. I wish they weren't 350 bucks, though. But I thought the velour pads were comfy and the store demo models clamped less tightly than the old HD 25 1-II. I was pretty impressed by their sound from the short time I spent with them. I think if I can get a pair of these used for 250 I'll jump on it to replace the zoro's for work.

pax217

On a brighter note, I heard the Sennhesier Amperiors today at the Apple store. these are good. I wish they weren't 350 bucks, though. But I thought the velour pads were comfy and the store demo models clamped less tightly than the old HD 25 1-II. I was pretty impressed by their sound from the short time I spent with them. I think I might get a pair of these used for 250 I'll jump on it to replace the zoro's for work.

Comfy pads? Like XB500 comfy? Due to many late-night DotA 2 sessions my ears have forced me to set aside the Grados and buy a pair of AD700's. This has set me $60 back from getting my Mad Dogs and DAC...

It's not that I don't like the AD700's, it's that I want something better that doesn't eat my ears as payment for their sound.

The Mad Dogs are real comfy at least. I doubt any big circumaural phone will beat the SA5K for comfort though, those things hardly weigh anything at all due to the magnesium frame. Wish more manufacturers had access to that technology.

LCfiner

Fist pound to Pax as usual.

LCF if you get them can you test what the pads fit on? Or just measure their circumference.

I doubt I'll be getting them soon so don't expect measurements anytime soon. from pics I've seen, the pads have an elastic rubber sleeve on the back that fits over a lip on the cup.

PmCeH.jpg

Comfy pads? Like XB500 comfy? Due to many late-night DotA 2 sessions my ears have forced me to set aside the Grados and buy a pair of AD700's. This has set me $60 back from getting my Mad Dogs and DAC...

It's not that I don't like the AD700's, it's that I want something better that doesn't eat my ears as payment for their sound.

pads were soft velour like the AD700 pad material. I know they also come with a pleather pad in the box, too. I found the velour pretty soft on the ear. felt OK. but it wasn't as comfortable as the AD700 back when i had them. those were super light on the head with massive pads. but I was never a big fan of the AD700 sound.

If you're OK with on-ear headphones, the amperiors with velour pads felt pretty comfy to me in the short time I wore them.

But I generally find around ear headphones like the AD700 (or the old Denon D2000/5000, AKG Q701 or the Mad Dogs, for a recent example) more comfortable for longer periods.

pax217

What are my best options for wireless Bluetooth earphones for use in the gym? Bonus if they have android compatible controls.

Is "best" subject to a budget?

Oh, I see you guys have discovered Tabris.

nE4kA.gif

The Mad Dogs are real comfy at least. I doubt any big circumaural phone will beat the SA5K for comfort though, those things hardly weigh anything at all due to the magnesium frame. Wish more manufacturers had access to that technology.

The SA5000's aren't in production anymore, are they?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How many reviews do you need to read before an opinion is justified?
I ask myself this when the TMA-1s get shit on in this thread, despite the majority of reviews from professionals and the community being very positive.

beanman25

I'm considering these 3.

Sennheiser HD 25
Audio Technica ATHM50
Phiaton MS-400

Which one would you guys pick? Sorry for so many questions, haha. I've never bought a fancy pair before. I'm currently using my Yurbuds that I use for exercise, haha.

Recon

Banned
I ask myself this when the TMA-1s get shit on in this thread, despite the majority of reviews from professionals and the community being very positive.

I was wondering about that too. I was under the impression they were great if you liked cans with a bit more bass. Then I see someone rip them apart recently in this thread despite every review and recommendation stating the opposite. Partly why I dont put much stock into anyone's opinion in this thread. Trying for yourself is the only way I go.

pax217

The TMA-1s are great, and IMO one of the best looking headphones out there. I also wouldn't compare them to Beats outside of the fact that they both seem to lean to the bassier side of things. The TMA-1s actually produce what I feel is an "honest" sound rather than one EQ'd all to hell.

I haven't heard every Beats model out there but "listen to how loud this bass is" isn't a measurement of the quality of a speaker. I, personally, appreciate a speaker's ability to reproduce sound, whether those be IEMs or floorstanding towers. Also with headphones, utility comes into question, which the Beats don't have much if you're not trying to get attention from others whilst wearing them. They feel cheap, they look cheap (plus bright paint so everyone knows what they are), and Beats has released their "Executive" line so that this isn't an argument; but only someone with inefficient information would buy those over even a pair of NC60s or HD380s that are half the price. I'm not going to tell anyone they're wrong for liking "Beats" because I know a lot of people who wear them as a fashion item first and a pair of headphones second, just as their iPhone, but for someone to say there aren't better headphones at the same price point of any model I've heard is absolutely ridiculous.

It works just fine for marketing, though, so more power to them as far as making money.

I'm considering these 3.

Sennheiser HD 25
Audio Technica ATHM50
Phiaton MS-400

Which one would you guys pick? Sorry for so many questions, haha. I've never bought a fancy pair before. I'm currently using my Yurbuds that I use for exercise, haha.

The M80's are right there as well and getting rave-reviews.

Whaaat didn't know these were coming.

Talon

Seriously. I don't understand what people are listening to when they say it distorts the shitall out of every song.

In other news, the M-100s might be my next headphone purchase. Mmm...

Seriously. I don't understand what people are listening to when they say it distorts the shitall out of every song.

Nothing distorted about it, actually.

It just has a low fidelity sound which would be fine if it didn't exist at the price point it does. Much indeed like Beats. Not bad per se, just not as good as many other choices from the Monoprice 8323 up.

Feel free to disregard my opinion just as many people disregard "professional" reviewers not named Tyll though. Audiophilia is, after all, a very subjective and personal experience.

Yes.

Can we close the door on this and get back to having LC taunt us all with whatever pair of ultra exclusive headphones he got this week?

As an Audeze owner/fanboy, I've still not gotten over the shock and disbelief I felt when he sold his LCD-3s. Indeed I may never get over it.

I had bought the beats solo hd and thought they were fine. They look nice ( albeit feel cheap because of the plastic) but nice none the less. Sound was meh. You get used to the muddy sound and heavy bass by changing the Eq on your iPhone. I returned them because ultimately they don't stack up near my monster turbines. Love the in ear headphones because of portability. I just can't do the big headphones for on-the-go. Try the turbines if you are looking for great earbuds. Amazon has great prices and they have a lifetime warranty with Monster. My original ones broke ( lost left channel) and got a brand new pair in like a week!

Recon

Banned
I had bought the beats solo hd and thought they were fine. They look nice ( albeit feel cheap because of the plastic) but nice none the less. Sound was meh. You get used to the muddy sound and heavy bass by changing the Eq on your iPhone. I returned them because ultimately they don't stack up near my monster turbines. Love the in ear headphones because of portability. I just can't do the big headphones for on-the-go. Try the turbines if you are looking for great earbuds. Amazon has great prices and they have a lifetime warranty with Monster. My original ones broke ( lost left channel) and got a brand new pair in like a week!

If you have to mess with the EQ to make the headphones sound acceptable, they are not good headphones. That goes with any pair, not just beats.

pax217

Just bought a Fiio E10 for my desktop pc. I hope it lights my grado 125 good enough :)

Many people will tell you that the E10 is a match made in heaven with the the 125s. Great choice.

I recently sold mine, but they were wonderful when amp'd, and great when not. Just be careful because Grados don't always like a lot of power.

As an Audeze owner/fanboy, I've still not gotten over the shock and disbelief I felt when he sold his LCD-3s. Indeed I may never get over it.

I guess that really says something for those Mad Dogs then, huh? :)

I'm not in a financial position to drop $300 on Mad Dogs and then the amp that they need to shine, but it's on the list. Hoping to get the DAC/amp this Thanksgiving (either the ODAC/O2 or a Yulong D/U100 depending my situation/other purchases that need to be made) and crossing my fingers (although not holding my breath) that Dan does a sale on the Mad Dogs.

Okay what the fuck are Mad Dogs.

We've been talking about Mad Dogs for weeks DV, keep up man lol

They're orthodynamics from Mr Speakers, and have supreme bang for the buck ratio

@Pax - yeah, like everything Sony they're out of production. They are probably one of the best dynamic phones ever for electronic music due to their insane speed and detail

LCfiner

Yes.

Can we close the door on this and get back to having LC taunt us all with whatever pair of ultra exclusive headphones he got this week?

I think ill be out of that game for a long while. I had my fun but I don't think headphones over a grand are my bag anymore. Still want to get a midrange stax setup and a higher end set of portable closed cans, though.

Sorry :) I still think they're amazing but the cost was an issue for me. And I'm still amazed at how little I sacrifice with the mad dogs as my main headphones.

If you have to mess with the EQ to make the headphones sound acceptable, they are not good headphones. That goes with any pair, not just beats.

Ya I agree. Without EQ it was difficult to listen to the Beats. That's why I returned them; they were really not worth the price and I was just curious to see how they sounded. The headphones I have now are used without any EQ alterations.

pax217

I think ill be out of that game for a long while. I had my fun but I don't think headphones over a grand are my bag anymore. Still want to get a midrange stax setup and a higher end set of portable closed cans, though.

Thus opens the pool for Vegas-GAF. Over/under for LC getting a new pair of cans is 4 weeks, 32 hours. :)

@Pax - yeah, like everything Sony they're out of production. They are probably one of the best dynamic phones ever for electronic music due to their insane speed and detail

Why do they do that? Sony being Sony? I want those EX600's again as my daily buds.

What is headphone-GAF's consensus on the new apple earpods? Looks like a couple of people here like them

I haven't heard them, and I probably never will-- but a few pages back there was some praise for them. Anything that I can't throw T500's onto is going in the trash, it'll tear my ears to shreds in time if I don't.

Man I really want a pair of Mad Dogs but I can't justify the purchase.

Not yet anyways.

Unfortunately, I hear you. I don't really have the expendable income anyway.

I think the sound will justify the purchase, and you won't know the sound until you've heard them, I guess. It's like buying a television or computer monitor, you'll have to trust reviews and hope it's everything you'd dreamed it would be once it arrives. That said, my TV and monitor are both great :)

pax217

Can somebody recommend a good 6.3 mm adapter to standard jack?

Not sure which direction you're going, so here's two (they're both stereo to stereo):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7135&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7139&seq=1&format=2

I own both, they both work just fine and seem to be sturdy. If you'd like a higher-end one, I saw one floating around here maybe 5-10 pages back that was going for about $20... I don't know how necessary it is though as the MonoPrice ones are great.

looking for suggestions for a decent pair of headphones to complement the WiiU's gamepad next month. I have RS 130s & 170s downstairs (one for each TV down there) but I need somthing upstairs I can just plug into the WiiU gampad. Don't really wanna go over $120, so GAF I look to you.

LCfiner

Thus opens the pool for Vegas-GAF. Over/under for LC getting a new pair of cans is 4 weeks, 32 hours. :)

you didn't specify a budget. :D getting a new pair of headphones for 200 isn't the same as getting one for 2000... I'm surely gonna try out new headphones here and there as curiosity gets the better of me.

Stat!

Okay, I might be lambasted here but I figured I would ask.

I really like apple's earphones for the way they fit in my ear. I don't like over-ear or in-ear headphones but just fit in. I know the quality is terrible and they are probably overpriced.

What I do like is that they have a 3 button control with a microphone which help with calls However they break easily.

I was wondering if there was a better manufactured that had a similar form/function.

LCfiner

Okay, I might be lambasted here but I figured I would ask.

I really like apple's earphones for the way they fit in my ear. I don't like over-ear or in-ear headphones but just fit in. I know the quality is terrible and they are probably overpriced.

What I do like is that they have a 3 button control with a microphone which help with calls However they break easily.

I was wondering if there was a better manufactured that had a similar form/function.

yeah, get the new apple earpods for 30 bucks. they have the same mic and controls (actually clicks better than the old design). they have almost the same shape as the old ones so they should fit almost the same in your ear. plus they sound considerably better.

For 30 bucks, the earpods are a really nice earbud. they'd be nice even if they cost 50 bucks, imo.

Top Bottom