• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

I need some interior design suggestions regarding cables/hanging headphones, might post pics later tonight so I can get some ideas from you guys.

Fu3fu.jpg

looking for suggestions for a decent pair of headphones to complement the WiiU's gamepad next month. I have RS 130s & 170s downstairs (one for each TV down there) but I need somthing upstairs I can just plug into the WiiU gampad. Don't really wanna go over $120, so GAF I look to you.

What are you looking for, exactly? Would you like it to block out the noise of whoever is using the TV (so a closed model)? Would you just like some earbuds that are a bit less cumbersome?

Grakl

Hey, guys. Best closed headphones $150 or less? I mainly listen to hiphop, then rock, then classical. I'm currently using some MEE IEMs, but I need some cans.

CRS

I need some interior design suggestions regarding cables/hanging headphones, might post pics later tonight so I can get some ideas from you guys.

Here's what I have. The cable hanging from my 900s is a good three/four inches from the ground so the hooks are at a perfect height where I don't have to wrap the cable.

As you can see, I have an empty spot for those Mad Dogs.

pax217

Hey, guys. Best closed headphones $150 or less? I mainly listen to hiphop, then rock, then classical. I'm currently using some MEE IEMs, but I need some cans.

I like the ATH M50S, but I recommend that only because I've never heard the Vmoda M80s. Those are very popular.

Here's what I have. The cable hanging from my 900s is a good three/four inches from the ground so the hooks are at a perfect height where I don't have to wrap the cable.

As you can see, I have an empty spot for those Mad Dogs.

I envy that set up, it looks so... utilitarian. Nice choice on the keyboard, too.

What are you looking for, exactly? Would you like it to block out the noise of whoever is using the TV (so a closed model)? Would you just like some earbuds that are a bit less cumbersome?

Yeah, closed would be optimal. Maybe an HD 555 equivialant. There are some used HD595 on amazon in my price range, but not sure about buying used (working part-time at Gamestop makes you not wanan to buy 2nd hand ever)

pax217

Yeah, closed would be optimal.

I'd go Audio-Technica M50, but they're right at the max of your price point. Sony MDR-V6s are about half that and are very well renown, too. Sennheiser HD280s are another option.

I'm sure Des can throw some obscure ones in there that I'm not thinking of.

Kukuk

Banned
Beats are overpriced pieces of shit bought by ignorant people who like wasting money.

Oh snap.

I more or less agree though. They're for people who don't do their research, and compare them to their Apple ear buds or the $5 headphones they bought from the impulse buy stand in their grocery store.

Not to mention there's the whole dick waving aspect, showing off to their friends that they own the "illustrious" Beats, and their friends don't. That's real pretentiousness right there.

Geneijin

Not to mention there's the whole dick waving aspect, showing off to their friends that they own the "illustrious" Beats, and their friends don't. That's real pretentiousness right there.
Equally pretentious to flaunt not owning the illustrious Beats either.

Especially when there are portable cans on the market that do look good (Phiaton MS400, M-80), it just shows you that people don't care about great sound. The style I try to give off is the "good sounding cans" style.

Also, it can simply be that the music most people listen to is generic and bland.

Geneijin

Especially when there are portable cans on the market that do look good (Phiaton MS400, M-80), it just shows you that people don't care about great sound. The style I try to give off is the "good sounding cans" style.

Also, it can simply be that the music most people listen to is generic and bland.
It's more because of what a person listens to than whether or not the music is generic/bland personally. Some don't desire better clarity just like some don't want too much boomy bass.

I was watching a recording of the Weekend Confirmed podcast the other day and I was surprised and pleased that Garnett and crew used Fostex T50s for monitoring purposes. It was one of those "fuck yeah" moments for me lol

I can't imagine anyone not wanting more clarity for what it's worth, it does SO much for realism, it's like going from VHS to Blu Ray for me

HiResDes

It's more because of what a person listens to than whether or not the music is generic/bland personally. Some don't desire better clarity just like some don't want too much boomy bass.

While I believe the bass part to be true, I think once you hear the difference in clarity between say a pair of Bose and a pair of Denons your entire opinion on what you desire might become altered or even shattered.

pax217

I was watching a recording of the Weekend Confirmed podcast the other day and I was surprised and pleased that Garnett and crew used Fostex T50s for monitoring purposes. It was one of those "fuck yeah" moments for me lol

I can't imagine anyone not wanting more clarity for what it's worth, it does SO much for realism, it's like going from VHS to Blu Ray for me

6a00e39824440288330120a63bd2a1970c-800wi

In reality, that studio that they record in isn't theirs. It's a professional studio in Santa Monica that they rent out, I believe. I'd love to see what the GiantBomb guys are using for both audio and video since they just got all-new equipment, and Vinny seems to be pretty smart with the engineering aspects of A/V production.

While I believe the bass part to be true, I think once you hear the difference in clarity between say a pair of Bose and a pair of Denons your entire opinion on what you desire might become altered or even shattered.

LargemouthBass.jpg

Consider my desires shattered. This entire time I thought I had been listening to low frequencies, not fish.

Geneijin

Yeah, but at the same time, some wouldn't appreciate how revealing some headphones are. I've been soured on some music because particular synth-strings sounded too synthetic for a lack of a better description.

pax217

Yeah, but at the same time, some wouldn't appreciate how revealing some headphones are. I've been soured on some music because particular synth-strings sounded too synthetic for a lack of a better description.

There are certain types of music that I really enjoy (such a hip-hop) that I won't listen to on my Grados. It's not because it sounds bad, but because I notice things in the production/quality of that distract or take-away from what I appreciate about the track.

Gila

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some IEM's. Price range $50-150, Canada shipping. Volume/skip&previous track buttons preferably on the cable.

I previously had the AiAiAi TMA-1 Headphones and loved it; the design, the sound, everything. Are any of their IEM's similar in sound? (Swirl or the Pipes) because I'd love to get one that could sound really similar to the TMA-1's if possible. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions

I have the Klipsch s4i and it has good sound but it's uncomfortable as hell.

I think ill be out of that game for a long while. I had my fun but I don't think headphones over a grand are my bag anymore. Still want to get a midrange stax setup and a higher end set of portable closed cans, though.

Sorry :) I still think they're amazing but the cost was an issue for me. And I'm still amazed at how little I sacrifice with the mad dogs as my main headphones.

Before Staxen, try Paradox(en).

Can't recommend them enough, possibly the pinnacle of bang/buck and an arbitrary 20-30% improvement over Mad Dogs and BMF. A cost effective intro to electrostats would be like the KOSS ESP-950, but IMO the Paradox beats it handily for smoothness, neutrality, speed, microdetail and of course isolation.

Though they'll never replace LCD-3s in my heart :x

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some IEM's. Price range $50-150, Canada shipping. Volume/skip&previous track buttons preferably on the cable.

I previously had the AiAiAi TMA-1 Headphones and loved it; the design, the sound, everything. Are any of their IEM's similar in sound? (Swirl or the Pipes) because I'd love to get one that could sound really similar to the TMA-1's if possible. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions

I have the Klipsch s4i and it has good sound but it's uncomfortable as hell.

Basshead IEMs? Try the ridiculously cheap Phiaton PS 20 (I use these in work sometimes) or the delicious rumbles of the Shure SE215.

Many people will tell you that the E10 is a match made in heaven with the the 125s. Great choice.

I recently sold mine, but they were wonderful when amp'd, and great when not. Just be careful because Grados don't always like a lot of power.

Yeah, i didnt have a whole lot of money to expend, but i kept reading good things for the price/quality of Fiio's.
Edit: What would the correct power match for them?Should i keep any configuration in mind?

pax217

Just bought some dr dre beats pros. How did I do headphone gaf?

Saw a guy in Left 4 Dead 2 the other day named "Alucrid." Thought it was you. It turned out not to be. My headphones sounded great at the time.

Yeah, i didnt have a whole lot of money to expend, but i kept reading good things for the price/quality of Fiio's.
Edit: What would the correct power match for them?Should i keep any configuration in mind?

Use a song you know well and listen to often so you're familiar with what you're hearing, start low power/volume and work your way up until you find that sweet spot between the amp's settings and your computer's. Also turn off any "bass boost" functions until you've got the levels you want. The E10 is a good and simple DAC, so it's not going to be too difficult to figure out.

Alucrid

Banned
Saw a guy in Left 4 Dead 2 the other day named "Alucrid." Thought it was you. It turned out not to be. My headphones sounded great at the time.

Use a song you know well and listen to often so you're familiar with what you're hearing, start low power/volume and work your way up until you find that sweet spot between the amp's settings and your computer's. Also turn off any "bass boost" functions until you've got the levels you want. The E10 is a good and simple DAC, so it's not going to be too difficult to figure out.

But I own my name on xbl, psn and steam. D:

Alucrid

Banned
No longer on Steam, my friend. I was just as disappointed as you are. I thought we could have been...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jdtRSmJfg8w/UE8PpDowQqI/AAAAAAAACJ0/OPXxkFsVukA/s1600/bestfriends.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
I need to find this person and beats them

They're both Mad Dog phones, the latter having bonus options of which include the leather headband comfort strap and a pair of the new dog pads which are supposed to increase comfort and provide a better seal which improves bass response or something. I think LC can chime in on whether the Dog Pads make an appreciable difference, I'd definitely recommend the leather headband in any case, as it does make the phones more comfy and will only set you back $15 I believe. So total price with leather band option would be $260 plus $12 for shipping. Dan provides a 15 day trial period so you can return the phones for a full refund in that window if they're not to your liking.

pax217

The first one has no "comfort leather strap (just the OG T50 band)" the second has the strap and Dan's latest "Dog Pads"which are supposed to improve the stage-- but I've never heard them.

They're both Mad Dog phones, the latter having bonus options of which include the leather headband comfort strap and a pair of the new dog pads which are supposed to increase comfort and provide a better seal which improves bass response or something. I think LC can chime in on whether the Dog Pads make an appreciable difference, I'd definitely recommend the leather headband in any case, as it does make the phones more comfy and will only set you back $15 I believe. So total price with leather band option would be $260 plus $12 for shipping. Dan provides a 15 day trial period so you can return the phones for a full refund in that window if they're not to your liking.

What Dynamite said.

I need to find this person and beats them

I should have assumed it wasn't you anyway, they could actually understand me-- no chance they had CRAPPY BEATS BY DRE!

LCfiner

I can't comment on the Dog Pads. I had to send in the headphones for the upgrade (turns out it can't be done as a DIY thing). When i get them back (in one week or so) I'll be sure to comment about them. but, sadly, I won't be able to do any accurate A/B comparison since I'll only have the unreliable memory of the original MD sound.

I can't comment on the Dog Pads. I had to send in the headphones for the upgrade (turns out it can't be done as a DIY thing). When i get them back (in one week or so) I'll be sure to comment about them. but, sadly, I won't be able to do any accurate A/B comparison since I'll only have the unreliable memory of the original MD sound.

gotcha. well, I like bass...and I've definitely found in my experiences with headphones that a better seal means better bass. I guess I'll go with those.

Unless there's anything else I need to know, I'll buy and will report back.

pax217

gotcha. well, I like bass...and I've definitely found in my experiences with headphones that a better seal means better bass. I guess I'll go with those.

will report back.

I'll hopefully be on your tail by a few weeks so I look forward to the impressions

LC, Des and Dyna: Never heard AD700's, bought them because I wanted large cans for my large ears, neutral sound, and something cheap so I can keep saving for that MD/DAC setup I'm looking to get... the cheap part has been fulfilled, will I be satisfied on the other reqs?

What Dynamite said.
I actually got the math wrong in my original post. It's $250 plus $15 plus $12, so $277, I somehow omitted $5 from the previous total. Lack of sleep and all these subnetting binary calculations are slowly eroding my brain :/

@LC - wow, you can't install them yourself? I wonder what kind of mods are being done to the phones?

Top Bottom