• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Looking into getting some noise cancelling earbuds soon. Any good suggestions in the 50-150 dollar price range?

Are you talking about earbuds specifically or can they be IEMs? If you're okay wtih in-ear monitors, most of them isolate well enough passively that justifying buying a pair with active noise cancelling at the price of overall sound quality would be kind of stupid.

JosiahB

I've been using a cheap FiiO E6 portable headphone amp to play audio from my video game consoles (PS3, Wii, Wii U) on my headphones for quite a while now, and decided it's about time I got a dedicated desktop amp. I'd love to get some recommendations for something in the $100 range. It will be used almost exclusively for gaming (some movies). As for the sound, I'd like it to be as neutral as possible for the price. I'd also like little or no "hiss". The E6 I use now has hissing, even when not extremely loud. One last thing I'd like to make clear, is that I want a desktop amp. I've heard great things about the O2, and I know that it's probably close to what I want sound-wise, but I want the input in the back, and the output in the front (and I don't really feel like modding an O2 to be more like a desktop amp).

I understand that I'm probably asking for a lot at that price range, so feel free to also include recommendations for higher priced amps (maybe no higher than $250 though). Thanks in advance for any advice!

HiResDes

Yeah, reading through the thread I see a lot of recommendations for those. Anything else I should be considering?
I don't think there's much else that quite competes in the closed under $100 category. The Creative Aurvana Live at $60 is pretty much a steal too though : )

I've been using a cheap FiiO E6 portable headphone amp to play audio from my video game consoles (PS3, Wii, Wii U) on my headphones for quite a while now, and decided it's about time I got a dedicated desktop amp. I'd love to get some recommendations for something in the $100 range. It will be used almost exclusively for gaming (some movies). As for the sound, I'd like it to be as neutral as possible for the price. I'd also like little or no "hiss". The E6 I use now has hissing, even when not extremely loud. One last thing I'd like to make clear, is that I want a desktop amp. I've heard great things about the O2, and I know that it's probably close to what I want sound-wise, but I want the input in the back, and the output in the front (and I don't really feel like modding an O2 to be more like a desktop amp).

I understand that I'm probably asking for a lot at that price range, so feel free to also include recommendations for higher priced amps (maybe no higher than $250 though). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Aune T1

or if you can spare a bit more - NFB 12.1

JosiahB

I don't think there's much else that quite competes in the closed under $100 category. The Creative Aurvana Live at $60 is pretty much a steal too though : )

Aune T1

or if you can spare a bit more - NFB 12.1

Since the Wii U doesn't have a digital audio out, the NFB 12.1 wouldn't be an option. And as far as the Aune goes, I was trying to avoid tube amps, as I've read that they're usually less neutral than solid state amps (I'm sorry, I should have listed that as a preference in my post). Don't tubes usually go bad after a time too? Is the length of time that it would take to go bad too long to worry about?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about earbuds specifically or can they be IEMs? If you're okay wtih in-ear monitors, most of them isolate well enough passively that justifying buying a pair with active noise cancelling at the price of overall sound quality would be kind of stupid.

Anything that tunes out background noise efficiently would be great.

stldave2

Man I'm so excited, got an amp (Lyr) and DAC (Modi) both by Schiit to finally drive my K702's... Santa was gooooood to me.

Deaf by 5.

PqeYPLol.jpg

It's amazing what proper amplification will do!

ZaCH3000

Hey guys, my brother in law is going on a snowboard trip in two weeks. He has a helmet with built in speakers. Controlling the volume and changing songs is a pain in the ass, he said. He is looking for a quality inline control adapter so he can control the audio without reaching for his phone in his pocket.

Any suggestions?

HiResDes

A161P are on sale right now, probably should check those out

Brainwavz S1 would also be a great choice

Best Buy had the ue6000 for 109. I had gift cards and a 20 reward cert so I ended up getting them for $45. I guess I'm pretty happy with that. Will pick up today. :)

Thanks for the help HiRes!
Awesome deal, report back with impressions, even if on the off chance you happen to be unhappy with them and want to tell me off : P

LCfiner

I know how amazing they are, but considering what they're going for on ebay I'd be tempted to sell them and save money on some LFF Paradox honestly.

Yeah, but the paradox are so different. Much more flat and neutral sounding. What makes the D7000 special is the heavy bass and sparkly treble. it’s a fun can with some good technical chops.

I would say if someone wanted the same style of sound as the D7000 but improved across the board, to save up and get the Fostex TH900. Or if the D7000 is selling for high enough on ebay, it might be close to a straight swap.

I would get the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or the LFF Paradox as a counterpoint to the D7000 sound. Something more even sounding for music that doesn’t work with the D7000 presentation. Or, alternately, the old HD600.

kunonabi

my mom wants to get me the beats cordless headphones for christmas but the reviews don't seem all that positive. I could use new headphones, mostly for 3DS gaming and listening to music on my phone. I'm not really an audiophile but i'd rather not have something with an obvious issue(bass)

At the moment I haven't told her not to get them since this Christmas has been kind of twitchy so I know that turning them down would bum her out.

Is there another pair of cordless headphones at the same or lower price I could point her towards?
I don't think she's paid for it yet as they were out of stock.

Hm, figure this may be the best place to ask. I currently use Sennheiser eH 250 that I've owned for a few years and I'm looking into getting the SteelSeries Siberia V2 for gaming. I'm not an audiophile but I'd like to know if the SteelSeries headset would be an audio upgrade from what I already have, or if I should keep the Sennheiser's around for music and movies?

HiResDes

Since the Wii U doesn't have a digital audio out, the NFB 12.1 wouldn't be an option. And as far as the Aune goes, I was trying to avoid tube amps, as I've read that they're usually less neutral than solid state amps (I'm sorry, I should have listed that as a preference in my post). Don't tubes usually go bad after a time too? Is the length of time that it would take to go bad too long to worry about?

Hmm...Maybe try the Hifman EF2A instead, they're a hybrid tube, and they don't get quite as hot as the Aune T1 with really good build quality...And no you don't have to replace tubes that often.

Hm, figure this may be the best place to ask. I currently use Sennheiser eH 250 that I've owned for a few years and I'm looking into getting the SteelSeries Siberia V2 for gaming. I'm not an audiophile but I'd like to know if the SteelSeries headset would be an audio upgrade from what I already have, or if I should keep the Sennheiser's around for music and movies?

I'd get these instead

Prologue

When it comes to the Wii U, can't you just connect the digital output to the back of the TV?

Anyway, found this mic mod that I found interesting. http://www.modmic.com

Celegus

Hey PhoneGAF, I ran into a bit of a problem... I'm not super concerned about quality, I just wanted some comfortable headphones. I grabbed a Sony MDRZX300 and thought they sounded good, but were just too dang small for my apparently large head. I can't seem to find any information on sizing on most headphones other than gaging customer reviews. I found this Panasonic RP-HTF600 that seems bigger, but was hoping someone might have a recommendation for some larger budget headphones in the $20-30 price range. I don't want to order another pair just to have them be too small again.

feel

Hi guys, super audio noob here and have a question (I hope this is the right thread to ask).

I have been using my Astro A40 headset (that I bought with a Mixamp "5.8" during my xbox days) plugged to my PC's motherboard in stereo. I just picked up a Asus Xonar DX soundcard for my pc to get 5.1/7.1 Dolby.

With what I have what would produce better results:

- Plugging the A40 headset straight to the soundcard and using Dolby Headphone

or

- Plugging the A40 headset to the Mixamp, and then the Mixamp to the soundcard (with optical?) and using Dolby Digital Live

I'm clueless about this stuff. Thanks.

mr stroke

Headphone GAF have any thoughts of these?

Fre6dZ9.jpg

I have some extra Christmas money to use and really want to grab these, mostly because of the way they look. And I am assuming since they are B&O they are quality and sound awesome?

Using Audio Technica A50's with a Mac Pro now and looking for an upgrade.

Fou-Lu

I love my M50s, but they are a little tight and heavy, so I'm looking for something a little lighter for day to day wear without going to earbuds and with a somewhat comparable sound. Less than $150 would be nice. Suggestions?

HiResDes

I love my M50s, but they are a little tight and heavy, so I'm looking for something a little lighter for day to day wear without going to earbuds and with a somewhat comparable sound. Less than $150 would be nice. Suggestions?
RHA950i or JVC HA-S500

Ok, I've been doing some research and I think the best route would be to just use some good headphones and one of those clip-on mics. I'm still looking for an upgrade over the Sennheiser eh 250's, though. I like the look of these AKG's but it's hard to pick one because they're all around the same price range:

K77
K512 MKII
K514 MKII
K142HD
K99

The price range on that list is $45 to $70. Are there other brands and models around that range I should be considering? The Superlux HD-681 EVO listed in the OP looks like a good set, too, but I'm not familiar with the brand and it's reputation. Besides better overall sound quality compared to what I use now, I'm also looking for comfort over 2+ hours.

Guymelef

I'm thinking on Sennheiser HD 598 for 138€ (Amazon Fr) and a Sound Blaster Recon3d for consoles.
Are this a good combo? Algo Recon3d + Aurvana Live are 100€ cheaper, i don't know what to do.

Geneijin

Hey PhoneGAF, I ran into a bit of a problem... I'm not super concerned about quality, I just wanted some comfortable headphones. I grabbed a Sony MDRZX300 and thought they sounded good, but were just too dang small for my apparently large head. I can't seem to find any information on sizing on most headphones other than gaging customer reviews. I found this Panasonic RP-HTF600 that seems bigger, but was hoping someone might have a recommendation for some larger budget headphones in the $20-30 price range. I don't want to order another pair just to have them be too small again.
Those Panasonic HTF600 are indeed larger. The earpads and driver size would indicate so. Personally, you can't really do better than the HTF600 in terms of larger headphones because I think the only bigger ones you could get is something like the Sennheiser HD201, but I prefer the sound of the HTF600 than the HD201. Also, there are some alternative ear pads like the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 pads. The material is definitely more comfortable than the stock pads on the HTF600.

Hi guys, super audio noob here and have a question (I hope this is the right thread to ask).

I have been using my Astro A40 headset (that I bought with a Mixamp "5.8" during my xbox days) plugged to my PC's motherboard in stereo. I just picked up a Asus Xonar DX soundcard for my pc to get 5.1/7.1 Dolby.

With what I have what would produce better results:

- Plugging the A40 headset straight to the soundcard and using Dolby Headphone

or

- Plugging the A40 headset to the Mixamp, and then the Mixamp to the soundcard (with optical?) and using Dolby Digital Live

I'm clueless about this stuff. Thanks.
You have three options actually.

1.) Asus Xonar DX w/ Dolby Headphone enabled > A40

This way the soundcard is doing the surround sound processing. You may or may not prefer how it does over your current Mixamp. Experiment.

2.) Asus Xonar DX w/ DDL > optical out > Mixamp > A40

You'll actually be processing the sound twice this way I think? Because not only are you transmitting the signal that's already been processed by the Xonar DX w/ DDL, but you're setting the Mixamp to also process that already processed signal. I don't think it's a good idea at all, but if you like it, I guess you can use it. To me, it'd be like using the hardware EQ on my Xonar DX and the software EQ on my foobar. Just odd results.

3.) Asus Xonar DX > optical out > Mixamp A40

By doing it like this, the Mixamp will take care of the surround sound processing duties while the Xonar DX will be transmitting your siginal to your Mixamp. Experiment between this and 1.) to see which you prefer.

I'm thinking on Sennheiser HD 598 for 138€ (Amazon Fr) and a Sound Blaster Recon3d for consoles.
Are this a good combo? Algo Recon3d + Aurvana Live are 100€ cheaper, i don't know what to do.
I think the HD598 would be a better headphone overall than the CALs if you had to pick between the two.

Picked up some UE 6000's for $80 new today with some xmas money based off some recommendations here. They sound so good, really happy with my purchase.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Headphone GAF have any thoughts of these?

Fre6dZ9.jpg

I have some extra Christmas money to use and really want to grab these, mostly because of the way they look. And I am assuming since they are B&O they are quality and sound awesome?

Using Audio Technica A50's with a Mac Pro now and looking for an upgrade.

They're $150 too expensive, but do you really care?

Young Magus

Looking for some IEM/earbuds equivalence to the sound of AD900x if possible. Currently have the etymotic mc5 and while I like them, I feel that I could do better in the long run. Price range is in the $200 range and I'm in Japan so any stores I should look into?

Celegus

Those Panasonic HTF600 are indeed larger. The earpads and driver size would indicate so. Personally, you can't really do better than the HTF600 in terms of larger headphones because I think the only bigger ones you could get is something like the Sennheiser HD201, but I prefer the sound of the HTF600 than the HD201. Also, there are some alternative ear pads like the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 pads. The material is definitely more comfortable than the stock pads on the HTF600.

Ooh, I'll have to keep that in mind if I don't care for the stock version. I did order the HTF600 which should be showing up today. I didn't have a huge problem with the earpads themselves (though would've preferred larger), but rather the overall width of the headband was just too small and not adjustable. Really hoping these are better!

injurai

Banned
Okay I'm in the market for new IEMS (or buds). Something that would do fine being driven off of a phone. I'd enjoy a strong bass, but not if it greatly comes at the expense of highs.

budget wise I'd go up to $40, don't want to be shoving something more expensive into my pockets daily

edit: Those brainwavz S1 look nice, I think I would really like a flat cable. Sort of hesitant, seems like the reviews are astroturfing.

Ended up ordering the Superlux HD-681 EVO. Reviews over at Head-Fi were pretty solid and the price was right. Just hope it fits my head... the top band doesn't seem to be as tight as AKGs.

HiResDes

Okay I'm in the market for new IEMS (or buds). Something that would do fine being driven off of a phone. I'd enjoy a strong bass, but not if it greatly comes at the expense of highs.

budget wise I'd go up to $40, don't want to be shoving something more expensive into my pockets daily

edit: Those brainwavz S1 look nice, I think I would really like a flat cable. Sort of hesitant, seems like the reviews are astroturfing.
Vsonic VSD1 are a safer bet

Geneijin

Ended up ordering the Superlux HD-681 EVO. Reviews over at Head-Fi were pretty solid and the price was right. Just hope it fits my head... the top band doesn't seem to be as tight as AKGs.
That's actually a good thing if comfort is a priority. The stronger the clamping force, the more tiring it is to wear certain headphones for prolong periods like the CAD MH310 because of that.

injurai

Banned
Vsonic VSD1 are a safer bet

I checked into those on head-fi, seems there is a VSD1s which is for milder lyrical, classical stuff. While the other model is good with separating heavy tones that you may encounter in metal and such... I do listen to a lot of mid intensive nu-jazz and the such so I'm not sure what to gather from an emphasis on having two modals that blend the sounds differently. Certainly seems to be a contender for the price.

What about this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BHIZ7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On sale, seems like it might be a step up. I think I would have to pinpoint turntabalism/jungle/breakheavy songs as being my primary focus for whatever I buy.

That's actually a good thing if comfort is a priority. The stronger the clamping force, the more tiring it is to wear certain headphones for prolong periods like the CAD MH310 because of that.

Oh, I agree, comfort is probably the biggest reason why I wanted to upgrade. I just worry it's going to keep slipping off my head. Compare:

biblvfIl.jpg

aQuE7E2.jpg

None of the reviews and impressions I've read mentioned that it's too loose, though, but still.

Ok guys, I want some earbuds for running. Any suggestions? Not particularly well versed on that front, as all I've ever owned is over ear headphones. Initially just bought some dirt cheap Skullcandy things thinking I just wanted a quick and dirty solution, but the sound is (obviously) abysmal and I spend too much time running to put up with it any more. Need something that will stay in my ears, not be too expensive due to the wear and tear they'll be subjected to, and sound all right being driven by my phone.

lupinko

I have an even greater appreciation for my music now after using my Q701 with the Alpen e17, like holy shit, especially with my jazz and live album stuff. Esperanza Spalding with these babies is simply sublime, and I've seen her perform in person too.

docbon

Newegg is having a sale for New Years~

Any impressions for this particular one?

edit: getting the feeling they're garbo after reading some impressions on head-fi.

Just wanted to drop by to mention Aurisonics seems to have a really great IEM coming out, and that early adopters at their Kickstarter page will be able to land the phones at $99 and $120 at the next bracket. The phones are made of titanium, feature military spec Kevlar crimped cables, and are allegedly waterproof and smaller than the ER-4P.

Take a gander at their KS video here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aurisonics-is-coming-out-with-a-new-iem/15#post_10103816

My friend ShotgunShane got to visit AS headquarters recently and had this to say about the Rockets prototype:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aurisonics-is-coming-out-with-a-new-iem/15#post_10105410

He seems to like them more than the ASG-2 and Sennheiser IE800. I'm definitely watching for the KS to go live on Jan. 3rd. Anyone in the market for a set of phones with seemingly incredible durability and excellent SQ should watch that space

Post your favorite ~$50 IEM's, and why you love them soo much!

GO!

iems.JPG

I'm looking to replace my Sennheiser CX-180's with something that has natural sound.
Sennheiser_CX180_II_Spares.jpg

Top Bottom