• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

I got some Amazon credit and was looking at the SR80i and SR225i but I've heard/read that the Alessandro MS1's are a better buy.

Why is there no American stocker of the MS1's when other countries do? Is it worth the effort for these cans?
not really better, just slightly more well rounded, though I think the Audio Technica TAD500 are better than both the MS1 and SR80 comparatively.
It's a matter of principle for me. Technically, mp3 is garbage. Lame 320cbr sounds exactly the same, yes. But never look at the thing in a spektrum analyzer. It's a miracle that this is actually perceived to sound like the original.

So, in my ongoing quest to prevent file rot I keep lossless versions whenever possible. Of course, the real battlefield is png vs jpeg. Rehost-rot-o-drome.
AAC is much more efficient and I'm not even an Apple stan.
Hey guys I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. Mainly just for music. I'd like to spend around 150 but I'm willing to go up to 200. I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRGLI/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I like the design but I'm not sure if the sound quality is that good. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're gonna go V-Moda, go with the M-80 or M-100, and not the Crossfade series if you're worried about overall sound quality.

Edit: Though I'd go with these at $140 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00012&ef_id=Usx-4gAAAT@NZTIO:20140107222954:s

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So, I'm going to scratch (pun intended) a long driving curiosity that I have. I'm going to buy a controller for DJing. I'm going to buy myself a Pioneer DDJ-SX so I am in need for DJing headphones. The headphones that I presently use for virtually everything are my Astro A50s. If that could be mixed somehow, that'd be great because I love the lush audio but it isn't possible so I need to get some new headphones.

I was looking at a few headphone sets and this is what I'm ultimately choosing between, pending store availability and such.

Pioneer HDJ-1500-K DJ Headphones

Denon DN-HP1000 Professional DJ Headphones
Standard

AKG K181DJ DJ-Style Headphones

Numark RED WAVE DJ Mixing Headphones

A pet peeve for headphones, I love when the headphone ear cup covers my entire ear, like my astros. Other than that, I appreciate any help that I receive. Also, other suggestions are definitely welcome as I'm a novice when it comes to these types of headphones.

injurai

Banned
IE800's are beautiful... why do I look up high end stuff while I'm window shopping...

anyways I'm still feeling pretty reserved about the VSD1, possibly the comic sans is rubbing me the wrong way. Especially the fact that there are two models and the impressions over their differences are sort of muddling my ability to compare them to other IEMs.

Also I'm not sure I could really run with those in comfortably...

IE800's are beautiful... why do I look up high end stuff while I'm window shopping...

anyways I'm still feeling pretty reserved about the VSD1, possibly the comic sans is rubbing me the wrong way. Especially the fact that there are two models and the impressions over their differences are sort of muddling my ability to compare them to other IEMs.

Also I'm not sure I could really run with those in comfortably...

If your budget extends to $150, I'd look into the Aurisonics Rockets. They're very robust, affordable, and made for physical activity. My friend ShotgunShane preferred Rockets to the IE800 when he got to audition a pair at AS headquarters:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aur...read-preliminary-impressions/15#post_10105410

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1285259404/aurisonics-rockets-next-gen-iems-made-in-usa

injurai

Banned
I was trying to keep the cost low and maybe invest in some good overs, or some turntables.

But I've been hearing a lot about these Rockets... I really don't know what to think about them with the hype and all.

HiResDes

I've never seen someone so picky about great budget IEM's, who gives a fuck what font the writing is in

If you run in a $150 pair of IEMs you're throwing money down the drain

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen someone so picky about great budget IEM's, who gives a fuck what font the writing is in

I would. If anything, people need to be more picky.

So, in my ongoing quest to prevent file rot I keep lossless versions whenever possible. Of course, the real battlefield is png vs jpeg. Rehost-rot-o-drome.

Yeah, data like ripped music is gonna stay with you a loooong time. Theres no logical reason to keep it anything but lossless.

HiResDes

I would. If anything, people need to be more picky.

Yeah, data like ripped music is gonna stay with you a loooong time. Theres no logical reason to keep it anything but lossless.
We don't see eye to eye, this kind of aesthetic first outlook is what the Beats franchise so big, and sorry if a smaller yet same sounding compressed format then it becomes pointless to keep lossless files especially when your library starts to get in the hundreds of thousands

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is what I ended up with.

Camera2-2014-01-08-11-42-06.jpg

The pro because it's cheaper and is a better value

Sweet, so the other set I'm looking at is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 series. Any pros/cons vs the DT-990-Pro? (If you've had experience or have heard either etc.)

also, any recommendations on a mic? So far I have found a zalman or a modmic?

HiResDes

Well the DT990 is an open headphone, so some sound will leak, but other than that I can't really think of much the M50 does better whatsoever.

Well the DT990 is an open headphone, so some sound will leak, but other than that I can't really think of much the M50 does better whatsoever.

Ok, im not too worried about sound leaking. Another set I checked into are the Sony MDR-V6s. I hear that they are HUGE bang for the buck and that I can add Beyerdynamic earcushions to em for added comfort. Would I be losing out by cheaping out?

edit: I guess I'm trying to figure out the best bang for my buck that are better than my a40s realistically.

terrible

Banned
I have DT990 Pros + Zalman clip on mic and an Astro Mixamp.

I use them for PC and PS4 too. The only negative I can think of is that depending on how loud you normally like things they may not get loud enough for you without an amp. Because of that I don't know if I could recommend them unless you got an amp of some kind. I have used them with just the Astro Mixamp on my consoles (PS3, PS4, 360) and I found them fine personally, but my permanent setup includes an amp since I have one and it extends the soundstage and tightens the bass a bit. I can burst my eardrums with the volume w/ my amp but I actually listen to them at a level similar to what the Mixamp sounds like with volume maxed. I have not tried my DT990 Pros with the Mixamp on my PC so I can't comment on that.

My setup:

PC: PC -> Aune T1 via USB -> Headphones. Mic in the mic port.
PS4: PS4 -> Mixamp via optical -> Astro Y Adapter -> 3.5mm male to RCA male cable -> Aune T1 w/ switch set to Line -> Headphones. Mic is connected to the mic part of the Y Adapter.

All I have to do when I want to switch from my PC to my PS4 is move the switch on top of the Aune T1 from USB to Line. It's really handy.

FoxSpirit

We don't see eye to eye, this kind of aesthetic first outlook is what the Beats franchise so big, and sorry if a smaller yet same sounding compressed format then it becomes pointless to keep lossless files especially when your library starts to get in the hundreds of thousands
Sorry, but as an engineer, I simply can not agree. mp3 is technically unsound. Yes, AAC is a lot better. And yes, being picky about the lettering when a component sounds awesome is eeeeeevil.

For your convenience, here is a mutitone spectrum analysis stereophile did some time ago (this does not endorse stereophile as a unbiased source of audio compenents reviews).
Keep in mind this is aworst case scenario with very complex music, a small Jazz combo can do with much less.

multitone flac:

308mp3fig044ylro.jpg

320kbps cbr mp3 LAME

308mp3fig0737yzr.jpg

320kbps cbr aac

308MP3fig08.jpg

As we can see, the noise floor of the flac is as low as the component goes. And at around -135dbfs, we are far beyond the audible threshhold (conservative reserach shows around a cummulative -100dbfs noise to be unhearable). So that's a great start, as long as our amp also is nice and clean the only sound will be the sound of your headphone.

Now let's take a look at mp3. While the average is around -95dbfs which would be good enough, large parts go down to -90 and some down to -85. If you want to build a high end chain and listen to some metal, this simply does not cut it. So how does AAC fare?
Much, much better. The general baseline up to 16khz is easily transparent and no problem. The stuff from 18kHz - 20kHz looks a bit nasty but you'd have to have bat ears to hear that and even then, it's no worse than what mp3 looks across the whole spectrum.

In summary, FLAC is king, AAC is a very competent codec but mp3?? Hell no. :p

*)Disclaimer: technical baselines courtesy of NwAvGuy and his respective sources.

HiResDes

The audible threshold shows what human beings are capable of hearing, but in reality most people can't hear above 20Khz on a frequency test. If you look at a spectograph of a 256 kbps AAC file and compare what is loss to a FLAC file almost all of what is lost is inaudible to most human beings.

...Now maybe you in the five percentile of people that actually tell the difference, but most people can't. And I'd love to see the average person take the test and try.

FoxSpirit

The audible threshold shows what human beings are capable of hearing, but in reality most people can't hear above 20Khz on a frequency test. If you look at a spectograph of a 256 kbps AAC file and compare what is loss to a FLAC file almost all of what is lost is inaudible to most human beings.

...Now maybe you in the five percentile of people that actually tell the difference, but most people can't. And I'd love to see the average person take the test and try.
Hey, did you even read what I post?? :-\
I made all the provisions to reality and said 320 AAC will most likely be only identified by bats. :-(

Young Magus

Really loving the AD900X here :), got a nice sound and everything. I wish that I was more open to open headphones in the first place, been missing out.

Also, what are so good about the Mad Dogs Des? Where can I find a place that sells them and is it possible to get a shipment out to Japan?

HiResDes

Really loving the AD900X here :), got a nice sound and everything. I wish that I was more open to open headphones in the first place, been missing out.

Also, what are so good about the Mad Dogs Des? Where can I find a place that sells them and is it possible to get a shipment out to Japan?
The sound
Ok. Guys. I need the BESTTTTTT headphones under $100. tell me please :D I want to buy them right now on Amazon.
Best? That's so subjective, what are you looking for? Something portable, closed or open, what genres do you favor?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Friends, I want to buy Beats because they're so damn comfortable, but know they don't have that great of sound quality and are overpriced. Anyone know any headphones that are as comfortable as Beats, but cost less than $100?

I have DT990 Pros + Zalman clip on mic and an Astro Mixamp.

I use them for PC and PS4 too. The only negative I can think of is that depending on how loud you normally like things they may not get loud enough for you without an amp. Because of that I don't know if I could recommend them unless you got an amp of some kind. I have used them with just the Astro Mixamp on my consoles (PS3, PS4, 360) and I found them fine personally, but my permanent setup includes an amp since I have one and it extends the soundstage and tightens the bass a bit. I can burst my eardrums with the volume w/ my amp but I actually listen to them at a level similar to what the Mixamp sounds like with volume maxed. I have not tried my DT990 Pros with the Mixamp on my PC so I can't comment on that.

My setup:

PC: PC -> Aune T1 via USB -> Headphones. Mic in the mic port.
PS4: PS4 -> Mixamp via optical -> Astro Y Adapter -> 3.5mm male to RCA male cable -> Aune T1 w/ switch set to Line -> Headphones. Mic is connected to the mic part of the Y Adapter.

All I have to do when I want to switch from my PC to my PS4 is move the switch on top of the Aune T1 from USB to Line. It's really handy.

Thanks for the info. So the headphones don't blast as loud as the actual a40 headset?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Friends, I want to buy Beats because they're so damn comfortable, but know they don't have that great of sound quality and are overpriced. Anyone know any headphones that are as comfortable as Beats, but cost less than $100?

Why do your Beats killers have to be so much "cheaper"? Seems like you're looking for a out to just buy the Beats, so go for it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think for something you wear in public its impossible to be too discerning. As far as lossy/lossless goes probaby 80% of my library is lossy, but absolutely no matter what if I have the chance to make or take a lossless copy thats what I'm gonna do. Its less an audio quality thing and more a data-integrity thing.

Conservatively speaking getting a quadbay NAS with ~12terabytes of storage is not a huge expenditure for a hobby like that and doing some really rough math you could easily hold an unreasonable amount of lossless music music. "hundreds of thousands of tracks" isn't the monolithic quanitity it used to be. Even at 60 megs a track. Just sayin'.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Hi headphone Gaf!

I'm looking for the best value in-ear earphones in the £50 area, available to be shipped to UK. Not willing to go higher, because earphones. If they're from a store with a very generous warranty then that's a huge bonus.

Mic is essential, as is strong bass for hip-hop.

For reference, I'm replacing these: Xears MH700

They sound amazing but I'm sick of Xears stuff breaking after a few months of normal use so I'm jumping ship.

HiResDes

Hi headphone Gaf!

I'm looking for the best value in-ear earphones in the £50 area, available to be shipped to UK. Not willing to go higher, because earphones. If they're from a store with a very generous warranty then that's a huge bonus.

Mic is essential, as is strong bass for hip-hop.

For reference, I'm replacing these: Xears MH700

They sound amazing but I'm sick of Xears stuff breaking after a few months of normal use so I'm jumping ship.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-...phone-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destinations

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Why do your Beats killers have to be so much "cheaper"? Seems like you're looking for a out to just buy the Beats, so go for it.

I just want the comfort level, but I'm not super into sound quality. Figured I could get the comfort at a lower price.

Number45

Is anyone aware of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter JUST to change the profile of the male so that it will go through the hole of an iPad smart case? The cable that comes with the headphones won't insert all of the way through the hold in the case. :(

I can obviously buy an extension, but I don't want to extend the cable (even by a small amount) if I can avoid it.

Top Bottom