• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There's been bad things said about the Studios, and I'm talking about the word coming from original TMA-1 owners. It also worries me that people report that the rubberized finish cracks and peels off too easily.

IMO you should be looking for a set of cans which have a distinctly different sound signature than the TMA-1s. Here's a thread on head-fi that might help you: Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350, UE9000, Beats Studio (2013) &...

Speaking as someone who is waiting for the tma1 studios to be shipped.... dont buy AIAIAI.
This will be my third pair of AIAIAI headphones and theyre all pieces of shit. They break if you look at them wrong. I purchased the studios because they were 50% off and are murdered out just like my computer.

I went through two pairs of aiaiai tracks in less than 6 months and they both just disintegrated before my eyes without any mistreatment. When I do get the studios they are never going to leave my desk.

But yeah, dont buy aiaiai. They're shit and CHEAP.

omgkitty

Speaking as someone who is waiting for the tma1 studios to be shipped.... dont buy AIAIAI.
This will be my third pair of AIAIAI headphones and theyre all pieces of shit. They break if you look at them wrong. I purchased the studios because they were 50% off and are murdered out just like my computer.

I went through two pairs of aiaiai tracks in less than 6 months and they both just disintegrated before my eyes without any mistreatment. When I do get the studios they are never going to leave my desk.

But yeah, dont buy aiaiai. They're shit and CHEAP.

I have the original TMA-1's, and have had them for 2 years now with 0 issues.

Talon

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree as well. Had to original TMA-1s and they were certainly the hardiest cans I've used and had zero issue with them.

I'm not surprised the Tracks crapped out...because they look like crappy budget phones, but their flagship was one of my favorite cans.

LCfiner

Sounds like it's between the KEF M500 and the Sennheiser Momentum. Any thoughts?

I’ve had both. they’re both real good.

Momentum have a darker sound with a wide bass hump (wide range of bass frequencies but it’s only a few dB tops) that makes everything sound a leetle bit syrupy. I thought it was just enough, some people think it’s too much. YMMV. They have deep bass and it’s not full of distortion or anything. treble is inoffensive. soundstage was just OK, from what I remember.

Kefs are on-ear, not over ear. they have flat bass and a less warm sound that the Momentum. They are more neutral sounding. They also tend to have a little bit larger soundstage because they have more treble energy.

but, also note that they have a little shout in the upper midrange that can get fatiguing if you listen at loud volumes with anything that’s got wailing electric guitars or female vocals. I heard it right away and it meant I couldn’t rock out with it as it was too easy to get that shout up to an uncomfortable level.

omgkitty

I’ve had both. they’re both real good.

Momentum have a darker sound with a wide bass hump (wide range of bass frequencies but it’s only a few dB tops) that makes everything sound a leetle bit syrupy. I thought it was just enough, some people think it’s too much. YMMV. They have deep bass and it’s not full of distortion or anything. treble is inoffensive. soundstage was just OK, from what I remember.

Kefs are on-ear, not over ear. they have flat bass and a less warm sound that the Momentum. They are more neutral sounding. They also tend to have a little bit larger soundstage because they have more treble energy.

but, also note that they have a little shout in the upper midrange that can get fatiguing if you listen at loud volumes with anything that’s got wailing electric guitars or female vocals. I heard it right away and it meant I couldn’t rock out with it as it was too easy to get that shout up to an uncomfortable level.

That is very interesting to hear. I've had some ear issues in the last few months in my right ear, and I get a lot of distortion at certain frequencies in that one side. It's definitely become a hassle to listen to music lately because of it.

LCfiner

That is very interesting to hear. I've had some ear issues in the last few months in my right ear, and I get a lot of distortion at certain frequencies in that one side. It's definitely become a hassle to listen to music lately because of it.

just to show that I’m not crazy, I found the M500 chart:

2b390fd4f51a8d519c55019977d51a1d.png

see that hump at 3 kHz? that’s it. Won’t be noticeable at low listening but at higher volumes, it can get ya.

The momentum FR basically drops down 15 dB from 1 to 4 kHz. high frequency fatigue is not something that’ll hit you on the momentum but the broad bass hump might exert some more pressure on your eardrums.

Either way, as I’m sure you’re aware, if you’ve got ear issues, be super careful about long listening times and volume.

omgkitty

just to show that I’m not crazy, I found the M500 chart:

2b390fd4f51a8d519c55019977d51a1d.png

see that hump at 3 kHz? that’s it. Won’t be noticeable at low listening but at higher volumes, it can get ya.

The momentum FR basically drops down 15 dB from 1 to 4 kHz. high frequency fatigue is not something that’ll hit you on the momentum but the broad bass hump might exert some more pressure on your eardrums.

Either way, as I’m sure you’re aware, if you’ve got ear issues, be super careful about long listening times and volume.

Yeah strangely it's only really an issue when I'm in my car and around other people. Headphones don't really bother me too much. I actually went to see Kanye West in concert last month, and I wore some ear plugs, but they were bothering me so I took them out for a little bit. Think I may have just blown the ear out more seeing as I don't seem to have as many issues any more :\

JYabbz

Neo Member
Hey guys I am in the market for the portable over-the-ear headphone that is stylish and is an all rounder in terms of genres. I'm leaning toward getting the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear in Brown due to a great deal for the Momentums and the XPT100 (HM5/FA-003 clones) for around $320. I'm mostly interested in the clones to see what all the fuss is about and for $20 more I might pull the trigger. How do the the HM5/FA-003 clones compare to more expensive cans? Do they outperform there value? Any comparison to the Pro DJ100?

Chocobro

I thought I would share this deal I just saw. If you are subscribed to Newegg's promotions, you get promo codes and you can get the MEElectronics A161P for $40 (normal price is $100).
Promo Codes Exclusively for Subscribers! (Promo codes expire 12/23/2013)
dca2c22c68796dc05bb89fc47e9c0e9d.png

Link to the IEM: here

I would buy it but I already spent a decent amount of cash on PC parts :T

JYabbz

Neo Member
ATH-M50 are $97.45 on amazon. Is that a good price?

These past couple of months they have be around $100 on various sites like sonic electronix, amazon, etc. Personally I paid $115 for mine a couple of months back and felt that the price of these should be around $100. $100 I feel is the right price for them but I have seen them go as low as $88 maybe a few days or a week ago. Other alternatives are the UE6000 and the Jaycar ($70) or XPT100 ($80 w/ extra cable and angled earpads) for a more neutral sound.

docbon

I thought I would share this deal I just saw. If you are subscribed to Newegg's promotions, you get promo codes and you can get the MEElectronics A161P for $40 (normal price is $100).

I was just about to link this.

Bought my pair at regular price, and have been enjoying them a lot.

Any good, bass-heavy IEMs in the <$100 range that are easily available? I was going to get either the Fisher Eterna or the Hippo VB, but both seem to hard to find except maybe Ebay which I want to avoid.

Gila

Well this just happened. (My fault, nothing wrong with the design – I just took it off wrong and it snapped)

Looking for another pair of closed on-ear/over now, preferably something along the same sounds and sleek design as the TMA-1. I'm thinking about V-Moda any strong differences between the Crossfade LP and Crossfade M-100?

Price range $100 - 300

omgkitty

Well this just happened. (My fault, nothing wrong with the design – I just took it off wrong and it snapped)

Looking for another pair of closed on-ear/over now, preferably something along the same sounds and sleek design as the TMA-1. I'm thinking about V-Moda any strong differences between the Crossfade LP and Crossfade M-100?

Price range $100 - 300

How did you do that???? I can bend my TMA-1's in crazy ways and this would never happen.

Gila

I was just taking it off when it was around my neck, bent it upwards a bit to go over my head and it snapped. Guess it was too much of a bend, but yeah it's weird; that was my 2nd pair and I'm pretty sure I've taken it off the same way every time.. Oh well

HiResDes

Well this just happened. (My fault, nothing wrong with the design &#8211; I just took it off wrong and it snapped)

Price range $100 - 300

Crossfade LP sound like Beats Studios, The M-100 sound good

GOAT DEAL

usea

I've started wearing my glasses regularly, and they don't get along with my headphones. It's super painful after just 30 seconds of wearing them. I have some Sennheiser hd280s from like 8 years ago that are still going strong. But they jam my glasses arms into my skull.

A guy on the first page from almost 3 years ago recommend these Sennheiser PX 100-II. But they rest on your ears. Are there any other good options for glasses + headphones? I'd hate to spend $100 since my current pair are still doing fine by me :(

I've started wearing my glasses regularly, and they don't get along with my headphones. It's super painful after just 30 seconds of wearing them. I have some Sennheiser hd280s from like 8 years ago that are still going strong. But they jam my glasses arms into my skull.

A guy on the first page from almost 3 years ago recommend these Sennheiser PX 100-II. But they rest on your ears. Are there any other good options for glasses + headphones? I'd hate to spend $100 since my current pair are still doing fine by me :(

I wear glasses and the Audio Technica AD700/900 and are super comfy. They're open headphones, though.

usea

I've never owned open headphones, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I almost bought some hd555s back when I bought the 280s.

Is this thread also a proper place to ask about headphone amplifiers? I'm currently using an Apogee Duet first generation that is an awesome DAC+amp, but lately I've been noticing the background hum more and more. I'm looking for a solid state headphone amp that has a dead silent background, preferably less than $500. Is the Matrix M-stage a good choice? Or will the amp choice not matter if the hum were due to the DAC? I use Grados FWIW. Appreciate any advice.

SmartBase

I'm way too late for this but I'd like to thank those that suggested some IEMs to me a fair while back. I ended up getting some Etymotic hf5s which have turned out to be fantastic. I used them on some long flights a few weeks back so instead of 25 hours of children wailing I was lost in my music library, glorious.

JYabbz

Neo Member
If anyone has a 30gb iPod Video/Classic 5/5.5 (white) in good to very good condition for sale cheap, please let me know. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD202 for trade to bridge the difference. Let me know thanks.

Got my JVC HA-S680's today. They've been shaping up nicely so far. Like my S400 the bass right out of the box was hilariously bad, but it has been making significant process in the last several hours. I will say that unlike the S400 they are pretty comfy. No pad-swapping needed here, folks. I was at a party when I got them, though - I accidentally had these sent to the wrong address and decided to pick them up on the day of a party - so I pretty much just gave these a quick test run and then had them set up to burn in for like 5 hours until I left due to an unfortunate accident that resulted in a dislodged toe nail.

So, I haven't had as much time to screw around with them as I like. Ah well, I like them so far.

Any good ways to burn in headphones? Working with the AD900X open headphones here

I've got the older version (AD900)! When I burned those in, I used a track that played brown noise for 9 minutes then a track of silence for one minute and ran that for about 50+ hours, every night when I went to bed for about a week (Yeah I'm crazy)

You can just play music for a really long time, but don't set the volume too high, your normal listening level should be fine. And burn-in may/may not be a placebo effect, but I did it anyways.

HiResDes

Got my JVC HA-S680's today. They've been shaping up nicely so far. Like my S400 the bass right out of the box was hilariously bad, but it has been making significant process in the last several hours. I will say that unlike the S400 they are pretty comfy. No pad-swapping needed here, folks. I was at a party when I got them, though - I accidentally had these sent to the wrong address and decided to pick them up on the day of a party - so I pretty much just gave these a quick test run and then had them set up to burn in for like 5 hours until I left due to an unfortunate accident that resulted in a dislodged toe nail.

So, I haven't had as much time to screw around with them as I like. Ah well, I like them so far.
Hadn't even heard about them until now are they still on ear?

JYabbz

Neo Member
Any thoughts on the Schiit (Magni/Modi) Stack? I'm leaning toward getting it compared to the Aune T1 as I like that the Magni/Modi combo can be mixed and matched meaning I can sell the Magni or Modi if I want to upgrade either one in the future. I also like that they are a US company with great customer service. For around $210 shipped to me minus the cables ($10) it seems cheaper than the O2+ODAC combo @ $290.

My headphones: Q701, SR225i, Pro DJ100, FA-003/HM5 clone, Momentums, and plan to get HE-400.

Thoughts? How is the new Schiit Vali?

JYabbz

Neo Member
Another question is if I do get the Schiit Modi (DAC). Is there any benefitto upgrade from the Modi in the future soundwise or do more expensive DACs like the Schiit Bifrost just come with extra features?

FoxSpirit

Just wanted to say, the Vita's sound quality is top notch. Even has some juice.

Now I want the Sansa Clip with the Vita's SQ. I am curious if Sony's walman can match that but even then, no SD-cards, no flac?? No buy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Looking into getting some noise cancelling earbuds soon. Any good suggestions in the 50-150 dollar price range?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wubbin away with my new DAC. Man, what a revelation this is.

Vyer

I'm a noob when it comes to headphones, but I'm looking for over the ear around $100. Primarily mobile devices, laptop, possibly gaming. Reading around these seem like the best options.

ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
UE6000

Anyone have any suggestions from those or even something better in that price range?

I'm a noob when it comes to headphones, but I'm looking for over the ear around $100. Primarily mobile devices, laptop, possibly gaming. Reading around these seem like the best options.

ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
UE6000

Anyone have any suggestions from those or even something better in that price range?

The HD280s clamp are very tight fitting and clamp onto your head with a lot of force, I found them uncomfortable even after stretching them out over some books for a dozen hours. And I found their sound signature to be really flat and boring, I ended up getting rid of them after a while.

Where are you planning on using your headphones? The ones you listed are pretty big and I sure wouldn't wear them in public.

Vyer

The HD280s clamp are very tight fitting and clamp onto your head with a lot of force, I found them uncomfortable even after stretching them out over some books for a dozen hours. And I found their sound signature to be really flat and boring, I ended up getting rid of them after a while.

Where are you planning on using your headphones? The ones you listed are pretty big and I sure wouldn't wear them in public.

Thanks for the info. They are for mostly around the house, movies and music and games.

HiResDes

ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
UE6000

UE6000 sound the best and are super comfortable out of those

Top Bottom