• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Good to know then! Yeah, I just want something that can power the phones. Not looking into getting into the madness that is finding individual sounds in different amps.

j-wood

Repost for the new page...how do these look?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/x-series-over-the-ear-headphones/8757065.p?id=1218890192179&skuId=8757065&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=1&lp=9#tab=overview

HiResDes

I asked this in a thread earlier, didn't realize there was an official headphone thread.

Does anyone know how these sound? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W2EXQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I'm looking for something in the $120 range, has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I've had Astro A30s for the past 2 1/2 years, but they're starting to hurt my ears.

]QUOTE=j-wood;98138516]Are these good headphones?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/x-series-over-the-ear-headphones/8757065.p?id=1218890192179&skuId=8757065&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=1&lp=9

I'm lookimg for good sound and portability. Mainly using them for travel AMD at my desk[/QUOTE]
It's nice being able to kill two birds with one stone, so here are a few closed portable recs within both of your price ranges.
Now, I know beats are generally frowned upon (not sure why, the price? ), but my friend wants some for his birthday. I can buy some solo hds, brand new, right now for $120 and no tax. Is that a good deal?

edit: I'm also wanting to buy these for myself. Are they pretty good, or are there any that might be better?

And is there any difference between the 558 and the 598?

edit 2: Also, if I get the 558's, should I get the 5x8 short cable off Sennheiser? I'd like to just have a 3.5 mm plug.

The 558s are very good headphones, by all means, but no Solo's are awful and I'd recommend checking out the closed portable cans I posted above.

j-wood

]QUOTE=j-wood;98138516]Are these good headphones?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/x-series-over-the-ear-headphones/8757065.p?id=1218890192179&skuId=8757065&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=1&lp=9

I'm lookimg for good sound and portability. Mainly using them for travel AMD at my desk
It's nice being able to kill two birds with one stone, so here are a few closed portable recs within both of your price ranges.

The 558s are very good headphones, by all means, but no Solo's are awful and I'd recommend checking out the closed portable cans I posted above.[/QUOTE]

So are the x sonys not good? I'd like to get a new pair before my trip this weekend, so I'm trying to find some in store

Korosenai

Its not so much the price but the sound quality. Headphones should attempt to maintain a somewhat flat frequency response. Of course there are headphones that do otherwise, like the Sony XB lineup, but those still maintain a relatively straight line while adding some emphasis on certain frequencies (in this case, bass). The Solo HD are anything but this. They're dreadful and expensive. Basically any headphone on the market is objectively better at reproducing audio.

You should really go into a store and demo some headphones with a few songs you are familiar with. For $150, it shouldn't be hard to find some decent headphones.
Thanks for the info!

The 558s are very good headphones, by all means, but no Solo's are awful and I'd recommend checking out the closed portable cans I posted above.

Looks like i'll get the 558's then. I'm gonna go ahead and buy the 5x8 cable from Sennheiser as well. I don't really need a 10 ft. cable, and the the plug in looks way too bulky having to use the stock 3.5 mm adapter.

Are 558's probably the best option for good open ear headphones for around $130?

Geneijin

Damn breh, you have some D2000's and don't have enough bass? Just adjust the EQ in your music player with those. It doesn't get much deeper than those. More controlled, but not deeper or louder while sounding good. EQ them shits to taste.
Those Denon's have incredible bass man, like I don't know even know where you can without going all the way to LCD-2
The D5000 would be the perfect upgrade if they were still easily available again.

I asked this in a thread earlier, didn't realize there was an official headphone thread.

Does anyone know how these sound? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W2EXQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I'm looking for something in the $120 range, has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I've had Astro A30s for the past 2 1/2 years, but they're starting to hurt my ears.
You may prefer the ATH-WS77 instead of the ATH-Pro500 if you want less bass than the Pro500.

The D5000 would be the perfect upgrade if they were still easily available again.

I had a pair of D5000's and 2000's. I don't recall the 5000's having more bass. Rather, they had more control to the base. More direction to the thump, rather than just a wave of low-end impact. It would give him something different than he has yes, but not sure if it would be more bass, per se. Better bass yes absolutely, but not necessarially more bass.

That said, he can probably find some used D5000's for a pretty good price on headfi or similar. I'd recommend that route if you like the Denon experience in general and you'd like a similar amount of base but a more refined punch. The D5000's will give you a much warmer sound overall and they won't be nearly as sharp/shrill in the highs like the D2000's are. I wrote a fairly long review on 3 or 4 of the Denon cans that I can link you to if you'd like to read.

Geneijin

I had a pair of D5000's and 2000's. I don't recall the 5000's having more bass. Rather, they had more control to the base. More direction to the thump, rather than just a wave of low-end impact. It would give him something different than he has yes, but not sure if it would be more bass, per se. Better bass yes absolutely, but not necessarially more bass.

That said, he can probably find some used D5000's for a pretty good price on headfi or similar. I'd recommend that route if you like the Denon experience in general and you'd like a similar amount of base but a more refined punch. The D5000's will give you a much warmer sound overall and they won't be nearly as sharp/shrill in the highs like the D2000's are. I wrote a fairly long review on 3 or 4 of the Denon cans that I can link you to if you'd like to read.
I thought the D5000 extended further than the D2000, but it has been awhile for me as well. But you're absolutely right. I misunderstood his request. He probably wants more bass quantity, and I tend to conflate better bass with having more bass.

And yeah, if you have those reviews readily, I wouldn't mind reading some D5000 reviews again. Thanks.

Just saw your thread, but I'll respond here since you're here.

You're asking for good headphones, but the question you should also ask is what headphones you'd like. What music do you tend to listen to?

mr stroke

Fostex TH900 probably. I think LCFiner had a pair. The 1Plus2 is supposed to have similar bass to the TH900 (which I did own) so if you're into really quick and hard hitting bass with an emphasis on sub bass texture, that's a good one to consider

Thanks never seen these before.....

aesthetically these are beautiful cans :eek:

wish I could listen to them somewhere before dropping 1.5k on them :\

(Maybe I should just stick with the Denon's and buy an expensive amp)

Geneijin

Thanks never seen these before.....

aesthetically these are beautiful cans :eek:

wish I could listen to them somewhere before dropping 1.5k on them :\

(Maybe I should just stick with the Denon's and buy an expensive amp)
I don't think the D2000 scales well enough to justify a really expensive amp, but the O2 would be nice at $150 if you never had an amp before.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Such a shame Fiio refuses to sell the E9 lower than $100.

Saved for later. Thanks again.

Antiwhippy

j-wood

I thought the D5000 extended further than the D2000, but it has been awhile for me as well. But you're absolutely right. I misunderstood his request. He probably wants more bass quantity, and I tend to conflate better bass with having more bass.

And yeah, if you have those reviews readily, I wouldn't mind reading some D5000 reviews again. Thanks.

Just saw your thread, but I'll respond here since you're here.

You're asking for good headphones, but the question you should also ask is what headphones you'd like. What music do you tend to listen to?

I mainly listen to metal, rock, hip hop, techno, and what ever you classify the gorillaz haha

HiResDes

I mainly listen to metal, rock, hip hop, techno, and what ever you classify the gorillaz haha

Yeah I think you'd like the Phiaton MS400 or Logitech UE6000. And no I don't like those Sony's much.

Actually the Sony's aren't bad at $110 if you like really bass headphones, though the midrange is too sucked out even for me.

j-wood

Yeah I think you'd like the Phiaton MS400 or Logitech UE6000. And no I don't like those Sony's much.

Actually the Sony's aren't bad at $110 if you like really bass headphones, though the midrange is too sucked out even for me.

I'll check out the Phiaton...maybe i can do 1 day shipping. What do you think of the Sennheiser HD 428s?

I'm a bit iffy on the Logitechs...why are there batteries in the headphones? I also don't use apple products, so I wouldn't care for an inline mic/controls that are useless.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/around-...218102966969&skuId=9417295&st=hd428&cp=1&lp=1

Antiwhippy

The batteries are for active noise cancelling.

You don't have to have it on to use it though. It can just be a normal passive noise cancelling headphone.

HiResDes

I'll check out the Phiaton...maybe i can do 1 day shipping. What do you think of the Sennheiser HD 428s?

I'm a bit iffy on the Logitechs...why are there batteries in the headphones? I also don't use apple products, so I wouldn't care for an inline mic/controls that are useless.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/around-...218102966969&skuId=9417295&st=hd428&cp=1&lp=1
If you're okay with on ears the Amperior would have the perfect sound signature for you. And those Senns are okay.

cryptic

Is there any evidence that the hearing damage done through headphones is reversible?
I think I'm never going to use headphones again.

j-wood

If you're okay with on ears the Amperior would have the perfect sound signature for you. And those Senns are okay.

Thanks for all the advice man. I went into Best Buy and was listening to a bunch of headphones based on your suggestions. I decided to go with these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-x-series-over-the-ear-headphones-red-silver/6613964.p?id=1218762298325&skuId=6613964

I really really like the sound, and they come in a very nice package (two cables, carrying case, ect). Plus they were on sale for only $99 (regular $199).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thanks for all the advice man. I went into Best Buy and was listening to a bunch of headphones based on your suggestions. I decided to go with these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-x-series-over-the-ear-headphones-red-silver/6613964.p?id=1218762298325&skuId=6613964

I really really like the sound, and they come in a very nice package (two cables, carrying case, ect). Plus they were on sale for only $99 (regular $199).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Damn, $100 seems like a good deal for those. What impressions does GAF have of those headphones? I have a pair of UE6000's, any reason to consider these on sale?

scottzorus

Neo Member
Would like to get a pair of IEM's for running/working out but don't want to spend much more than $50 (if possible). I listen to mostly top hits/rock and don't want them to fall out easily or with an accidental tug of the wire.
Any suggestions?

ksan

So, I'm having a really hard time finding any good deals on IEMs here in Sweden, was thinking of spending 500-1500SEK (which usually means that I get something in the $50-150 range MSRP, stuff is expensive!).

A friend recommended me the Shure SE215, however seems like there aren't any place to get them for lower than 900SEK, which seems to be fair according to its $90 price tag on amazon.

Otherwise I found the klipsch x7i, which would cost me 1300SEK, which seems like a good deal. I've really liked their products in the past, and I'm not really afraid of the more neutral sound of the x7i's.

Anyone got any impressions or suggestions? Would also love to see any suggestions from any place that ships internationally.

HiResDes

Would like to get a pair of IEM's for running/working out but don't want to spend much more than $50 (if possible). I listen to mostly top hits/rock and don't want them to fall out easily or with an accidental tug of the wire.
Any suggestions?
You could try some Cable Guides

And I'd recommend you these IEMs, because of their sound signature and great durability - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053R0WWG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So, I'm having a really hard time finding any good deals on IEMs here in Sweden, was thinking of spending 500-1500SEK (which usually means that I get something in the $50-150 range MSRP, stuff is expensive!).

A friend recommended me the Shure SE215, however seems like there aren't any place to get them for lower than 900SEK, which seems to be fair according to its $90 price tag on amazon.

Otherwise I found the klipsch x7i, which would cost me 1300SEK, which seems like a good deal. I've really liked their products in the past, and I'm not really afraid of the more neutral sound of the x7i's.

Anyone got any impressions or suggestions? Would also love to see any suggestions from any place that ships internationally.
I'd recommend these T-Peos H-100RR

...Lots of reviews and impressions can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630235/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread/15

And if those are too much I'd just peruse Lend Me Ur Ears and MP4 Nation, as they ship worldwide, and 90 percent of their products are high quality and fantastic sounding.

ksan

I'd recommend these T-Peos H-100RR

...Lots of reviews and impressions can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630235/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread/15

And if those are too much I'd just peruse Lend Me Ur Ears and MP4 Nation, as they ship worldwide, and 90 percent of their products are high quality and fantastic sounding.

Thanks a lot man, I'll def check the appreciation thread, and the price makes it look really tempting compared to the choices I have over here! (same price as I would have to pay for the shure's here)
Gonna check some more on those sites as well!

Afro

Look what just arrived. Can't believe I snagged these for $150. Sold my HD-650's a while ago. Now to listen...

x1_zps8e767f67.jpg

Young Magus

I ask this question in LinuxGAF but figure that I should ask here as well:

MagusKen said:
Bought an AMP/DAC combo device and loving it so far, but I wonder how do I get the most out of it? The device in question is the ibasso d12 and has both usb slots and an audio jack to connect to the computer. Of the two slots which one would give me a better sound and how would I go and configurate that in the settings on the computer? OS is Linux Fedora 20

yarden24

hi audio gaf! I need new Inner ear phones, because my old ones sadly broke...

if anyone can give me any recommendations, for something in the 100$ dollar range i would really appreciate it!

i generally listen to rock and electronic stuff.

Hi guys, long time lurker of this thread. So I got a new pair of headphones, These, as a gift but i'm having a bit of trouble. The 3.5mm jack that attaches is too big. I can connect it to my phone if I take the case off and it fits my Vita perfectly, but the front audio input on my pc and in my speakers I've had no luck with. Now it does fit in the audio input on my motherboard just fine, but I don't want to have to disconnect my speakers to do so. It also fits in the audio out on my monitor but I would have no volume control without speakers connected. any suggestion on what I could do? I hope I explained my situation well.

Afro

Hi guys, long time lurker of this thread. So I got a new pair of headphones, These, as a gift but i'm having a bit of trouble. The 3.5mm jack that attaches is too big. I can connect it to my phone if I take the case off and it fits my Vita perfectly, but the front audio input on my pc and in my speakers I've had no luck with. Now it does fit in the audio input on my motherboard just fine, but I don't want to have to disconnect my speakers to do so. It also fits in the audio out on my monitor but I would have no volume control without speakers connected. any suggestion on what I could do? I hope I explained my situation well.

What about this?

aiite, these Fidelio X1's are now my official Jazz cans. Holy shit.

Protip: upgrade your cable guys. The stock cable tends to muddy the sound in the low-mid/upper-low range I found. This is found to be an issue of high resistance in the stock cable and is fixed by switching to a different, low resistance cable. The good news is that cables that fix the problem are hella cheap.

As recommended by Mad Lust Envy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LTEUDO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E674VK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...d=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

and you'll notice a very real difference in the clarity. I tried it out with none of my old cables and suddenly, the muffled/muddy sound was gone and the highs were a bit crisper.

Do recommend for any new X1 owners.

Also, John Coltrane's Stardust through these damn near made me cry.

LCfiner

What kind of cable is supposed to have any measureable resistance?? Sorry, that's a myth.

In this case, there is a measurable resistance to the stock X1 cable.

Measured by Tyll at innerfidelity (he’s a reliable, no nonsense guy)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

There's been a lot of chatter in the X1 thread at Head-Fi about cable swaps and making a big difference. I'm rather skeptical of claims like that, so I measured the stock cables resistance: 1.8 Ohms, on both signal and ground wires. This seemed rather high to me, so I measured a 5 other similar cables I had lying around and got between 0.5 and 0.8 Ohms. There are two problems with a headphone cable that has this much resistance. First, if you've been following along with the Meridian Explorer and it's initial output impedance problem you'll know that series resistance is going to decrease your damping factor, and cause the headphones to be a little loose sounding. This is a big bass headphone and throwing away damping factor in the cable doesn't seem like a good idea.

The second problem is that the signal shares a common return through the ground of the cable, and the relatively high resistance of the cable will cause a voltage to develop on the ground channel that will produce some crosstalk between channels. The good news is that the stock cable is terminated in a stereo mini-plug at the headphone end and there are plenty of replacement cables available. The V-Moda cable has 0.5 Ohm resistance and it works fine. Plus you can convert your cans to a phone headset that way. I'm tempted to put a Moon Audio Black Dragon on it.

docbon

Ferrari over-ear, noise cancelling headphones on Newegg

$140 after rebate

impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhZTWLFGAeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEZEUkQFUY
a two page thread on head-fi (lol) : http://www.head-fi.org/t/643671/exclusive-first-look-at-ferrari-by-logic3-headphones-its-very-good

Didn't know these things existed until 15 minutes ago, and it seems the rest of the world didn't, either. Probably the closest many will get to a real Ferrari, haha. I have no doubt they they lack the competitive performance of a $350 headphone, but maybe it might work at this price range?

MarkusRJR

What are the best headphones that a smartphone could power? I'm looking for a pair of open headphones for the house and IEMs for on the go. Willing to spend $60-$80 for the IEMS and $100-$180 for the open headphones.

Top Bottom