• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

BlueSteel

Ooookay this is a unique request.

Anyone have cheap bluetooth suggestions?

Now, I know the quality isn't going to be as good as wired, but I can't help it: phone headphone jack is messed up.

I'd like to stay under 100, 60 if possible. Is that enough?

HiResDes

10.jpg

My latest addition to the OP will be the RHA MA750i

Reviews can be found here

heavenII_main.jpg

Oh and these too: Final Audio Design Heaven II

Reviews can be found here

terrible

Banned
I've been testing out a Racoon SG-300 USB tube amp/DAC tonight with my DT880 600ohm headphones and boy does it sing!

It's early but right now I'm thinking that it's a better option in the ~$150-200 range than the Aune T1 that I own. Maybe a touch warmer sounding and even more power than the T1. This is with zero burn-in since it's a new unit. It's not mine so unfortunately I can't do a long term comparison. There are a few very similar looking units (Shange SG200, Uber Musik Tiny Tube, etc) but there doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there on them. Imo the Racoon is worth a look over the Aune T1.

Young Magus

I've been testing out a Racoon SG-300 USB tube amp/DAC tonight with my DT880 600ohm headphones and boy does it sing!

It's early but right now I'm thinking that it's a better option in the ~$150-200 range than the Aune T1 that I own. Maybe a touch warmer sounding and even more power than the T1. This is with zero burn-in since it's a new unit. It's not mine so unfortunately I can't do a long term comparison. There are a few very similar looking units (Shange SG200, Uber Musik Tiny Tube, etc) but there doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there on them. Imo the Racoon is worth a look over the Aune T1.
That's terribly sexy.

Also went to e-headphones out in Akihabara. Bought the ibasso D12 HJ, first amp so I dont know what to expect. Hope this goes well!

Dead

well not really...yet
Any thoughts on these:

WPMvpsa.jpg

Sony MDR-1rbt? Strictly quality speaking, nevermind the price.

How would they compare to the Parrot Zik?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright GAF, I need some advice.

I'm looking for a good set of bang-for-buck headphones, no headband, that are not earbuds.

I've been using Koss KSC75 headphones for years now. I've been using them daily and I really enjoy them but I swear to god I have to buy a new pair every 6 months. Something always breaks in the cord and one of the ear pieces stops working.

Is there really anything like these headphones that can withstand daily use and not break all the damn time?

As stated, earbuds are completely out of the question. They feel like somebody is sticking a giant dick in my ear. It doesn't matter how much padding you add or how good the padding is. The whole feeling of something penetrating my ear canal is just the worst.

Geneijin

I know I'm crazy thinking this, but at that price, it almost feels like a good idea to buy 2...

I won't though, but still, I don't think I've seen such a good sale in a long time.

HiResDes

I feel like an asshole having two headphones with such similar sound signatures, so I really hope someone buys my FA-011s...I might give them as a present to someone with a good amp.

Costia

Looking for comfortable IEMs up to 100$.

I currently have the VSONIC GR06. I like how they sound but they get really uncomfortable after a while.
Previously I had the monster turbines which I liked, but they were a bit heavy and the connector broke relatively fast.
I also tried the Etymotic HF5, but didn't like how they sound. Though I did like their noise isolation and light weight.
My full-sized headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT990 which sound great and are very comfortable, but quite big.
So basically I am looking for dt990 in IEM form under 100$ :)

suplex

I went back and forth on ordering them, and finally ordered when it said shipping in 1 to 2 months. We'll see if I wind up getting them or not.

injurai

Banned
I almost bought those last night (pre-sale I had been meaning to get them), but I needed to go to bed. I wake up to see they went half off during the time I was sleeping...

Amazon needs an auto-buy if under X amount feature...

Korosenai

Now, I know beats are generally frowned upon (not sure why, the price? ), but my friend wants some for his birthday. I can buy some solo hds, brand new, right now for $120 and no tax. Is that a good deal?

edit: I'm also wanting to buy these for myself. Are they pretty good, or are there any that might be better?

And is there any difference between the 558 and the 598?

edit 2: Also, if I get the 558's, should I get the 5x8 short cable off Sennheiser? I'd like to just have a 3.5 mm plug.

Lol I didn't know X1s were this popular and sought after. When I bought my L1 there was a sale going on for X1 for 189$ something, maybe I should've picked them up instead.

mr stroke

Headphone GAF what is the ultimate Bass headphone? Considering money is no object.
(or at least less than $1500.00)

I currently have-

AT A50
V Moda Crossfade LP
Denon AHD2000

I was going to buy the B&O H6's but looking for something with a ton of bass since I listen to 90% EDM.

any suggestions?

Tommy DJ

Now, I know beats are generally frowned upon (not sure why, the price? ), but my friend wants some for his birthday. I can buy some solo hds, brand new, right now for $120 and no tax. Is that a good deal?

edit: I'm also wanting to buy these for myself. Are they pretty good, or are there any that might be better?

And is there any difference between the 558 and the 598?

edit 2: Also, if I get the 558's, should I get the 5x8 short cable off Sennheiser? I'd like to just have a 3.5 mm plug.

Its not so much the price but the sound quality. Headphones should attempt to maintain a somewhat flat frequency response. Of course there are headphones that do otherwise, like the Sony XB lineup, but those still maintain a relatively straight line while adding some emphasis on certain frequencies (in this case, bass). The Solo HD are anything but this. They're dreadful and expensive. Basically any headphone on the market is objectively better at reproducing audio.

You should really go into a store and demo some headphones with a few songs you are familiar with. For $150, it shouldn't be hard to find some decent headphones.

Headphone GAF what is the ultimate Bass headphone? Considering money is no object.

I currently have-

AT A50
V Moda Crossfade LP
Denon AHD2000

I was going to buy the B&O H6's but looking for something with a ton of bass since I listen to 90% EDM.

any suggestions?
Damn breh, you have some D2000's and don't have enough bass? Just adjust the EQ in your music player with those. It doesn't get much deeper than those. More controlled, but not deeper or louder while sounding good. EQ them shits to taste.

HiResDes

I currently have-

AT A50
V Moda Crossfade LP
Denon AHD2000

any suggestions?

Those Denon's have incredible bass man, like I don't know even know where you can without going all the way to LCD-2

Laieon

I asked this in a thread earlier, didn't realize there was an official headphone thread.

Does anyone know how these sound? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W2EXQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I'm looking for something in the $120 range, has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I've had Astro A30s for the past 2 1/2 years, but they're starting to hurt my ears.

I currently have-

AT A50
V Moda Crossfade LP
Denon AHD2000

any suggestions?

Fostex TH900 probably. I think LCFiner had a pair. The 1Plus2 is supposed to have similar bass to the TH900 (which I did own) so if you're into really quick and hard hitting bass with an emphasis on sub bass texture, that's a good one to consider

I have that very same DAC/amp combo! It was my first one, bought it a couple of years ago. It paired well with my Macbook Pro and AKG K271 Mk2 phones. If you've never owned one before, I'd say it's a good beginner amp. Of course, you'll want to upgrade one day.
Here's a review I found: http://www.trustedreviews.com/iBass...ifier_Portable-Audio_review#tr-review-summary

Another good option might be the Fiiio E07 or the Fiio E17. The E07 is more portable while the E17 has a stronger amp. You can look up reviews on Head-Fi or Headfonia if you're interested.

Edit- About the D12 you edited in, I saw this quote on a headphone forum: "The default D12 (original opamp) has a more transparent sound (can be perceived as cold by some) while the E17 is targeted to mainstream audience with warm and smooth sound signature."

And it looks like the E17 is pretty versatile too:
625b5ebb_201112301130627.jpeg

Does it need to be charged?

j-wood

Are these good headphones?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/x-series-over-the-ear-headphones/8757065.p?id=1218890192179&skuId=8757065&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=1&lp=9

I'm lookimg for good sound and portability. Mainly using them for travel AMD at my desk

Tommy DJ

Are these good headphones?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-solo-hd-on-ear-headphones/9836718.p?id=1218181727179&skuId=9836718&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=1&lp=2

I'm lookimg for good sound and portability. Mainly using them for travel AMD at my desk

No. Refer to my previous post for why the Beats Solo HD are awful.

For that price bracket, you've got these which are miles better. There are other options too that I may not be aware of but I know the HD25s are very nice sounding on-ear options.

j-wood

No. Refer to my previous post for why the Beats Solo HD are awful.

For that price bracket, you've got these which are miles better. There are other options too that I may not be aware of but I know the HD25s are very nice sounding on-ear options.

Sorry I posted the wrong link. Just updated it with the right one. Should be for sony x series

Tommy DJ

So will it power the Hifiman HE-500? Looking to get the HE-400i depending on how reviews go.

The Magni puts out a lot of power. I don't know anything that can't be driven adequately by them, even 600 ohm and orthodynamic headphones will sound great with it.

Unless you're specifically looking for tubes, I don't think there's a good reason to spend a lot on non-speaker consumer audio equipment.

Sorry I posted the wrong link. Just updated it with the right one. Should be for sony x series

Apparently the Sony MDRX05 aren't great. Never heard them before, wouldn't be surprised that they aren't special. I still think the Sennheiser HD25s I linked before are one of the best all-round portable headphones that won't break the bank.

Here is a review of them with some measurements at the end.

Top Bottom