• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Young Magus

Yo reading up on the Mad Dogs I keep seeing that they are often recommended with an amp. Is it true that they need an amp to preform well and if so what are some good ones to start out with? Ones that work with a PC and a portable one for my Fiios X3 is what Im looking for.

LCfiner

Yeah, Mad Dogs need some power. I owned them and found they sounded good enough with the Fiio E11. You can check the X3 specs and see how it compares to the two main Fiio amps. I forget how much power it has. They sounded better with the pricey ALO Continental but that's not something I would recommend for anyone on a reasonable budget.

Consider these as a start:

JDS Labs C5,(bass boost on this is excellent quality)
JDS Labs O2 (less portable - possible desktop solution)
Fiio E11
Fiio E12 (more power but really large)
ALO National, if you can get it used for around 200 or so.

----------------

unrelated. After some time away from real high end headphones - using speakers more and more at my desk - I missed some of that great headphone sound for late night listening and rebought the Sennheiser HD800 (used, of course). Oh man, I missed it. it's so comfortable and it doesn't hurt my neck or make my ears sweat like the Audeze cans.

It sounds so great. Big soundstage and I find it pairs well with the Burson HA160D (I know some people disagree with this) - there's no annoying brightness peak like there was with some other amps I had in the past. I know the 160D isn't the best DAC/Amp around but it's certainly good enough for now - I'm really enjoying the tone and impact with the HD800. Maybe I'll upgrade to something a bit better later this year.

HiResDes

Yo reading up on the Mad Dogs I keep seeing that they are often recommended with an amp. Is it true that they need an amp to preform well and if so what are some good ones to start out with? Ones that work with a PC and a portable one for my Fiios X3 is what Im looking for.
I'd recommend going with KEF M500 instead of the Mad Dogs if you're going to be using them as a portable, and it will save you the need to get an amp

LCfiner

I'd recommend going with KEF M500 instead of the Mad Dogs if you're going to be using them as a portable, and it will save you the need to get an amp

Yeah, this is a good point. if you're going to use it, say, 80% portable, 20% at home, then the M500 is a much easier headphone to deal with. just plug it the X3 and go.

but if it's 50/50 or more for home use, the Mad Dogs might make more sense because they scale better and can really sound amazing when driven by a good amp.

HiResDes

I'm thinking about selling my FA-011s, as I finally have moved up from favoring a real V-shaped sound frequency and I believe I'm ready to go with something slightly more neutral...I really like the X1, but wanted something with a faster attack/decay. I really want Beyer T90s, but it's going to take me months to save up : (

FoxSpirit

Have you already heard them?? How is the sound in respect to other beers, still with those slightly bright highs or something more smooth??

Oh yeah, seems like a Clip+ can't really drive a HD700. It gets plenty loud but somehow, all transients sound... soft. Bass performance is bleh.

Young Magus

Yeah, this is a good point. if you're going to use it, say, 80% portable, 20% at home, then the M500 is a much easier headphone to deal with. just plug it the X3 and go.

but if it's 50/50 or more for home use, the Mad Dogs might make more sense because they scale better and can really sound amazing when driven by a good amp.

Im planning to be more 75/25 leaning towards home use. X3 is mostly used when I don't wanna be bothered with the computer or traveling.

HiResDes

Have you already heard them?? How is the sound in respect to other beers, still with those slightly bright highs or something more smooth??

Oh yeah, seems like a Clip+ can't really drive a HD700. It gets plenty loud but somehow, all transients sound... soft. Bass performance is bleh.

Bright highs, basically a lot like the DT990 but more refined and analytical. I'm not very sensitive to sibilance though, so they're not bad for me, but I do realize that they might sound slightly unnatural to some.

injurai

Banned
Okay des enough about the IEMs

I honestly don't really know much about the metrics used to rate headphones, so I mostly just want to know what to look for. I'm looking to pick up some neutral sounding DJ/Production headphones here soon. Not looking for any tailored suggestions, just a run down of whats sorts of things are around.

Young Magus

Looking at it, I realize that I'm really not gonna need much portability as much as I thought. So I might go with Mad Dogs and Fiios E11. Good Idea?

HiResDes

Looking at it, I realize that I'm really not gonna need much portability as much as I thought. So I might go with Mad Dogs and Fiios E11. Good Idea?

Kind of complicated answer, but if what you're using has a decent on board sound-card or DAC then the E11 might be fine. If you're not sure I'd recommend getting something with an integrated DAC rather than a standalone amp.

HiResDes

Okay des enough about the IEMs

I honestly don't really know much about the metrics used to rate headphones, so I mostly just want to know what to look for. I'm looking to pick up some neutral sounding DJ/Production headphones here soon. Not looking for any tailored suggestions, just a run down of whats sorts of things are around.

There aren't too many neutral sounding DJ headphones, but these would be my picks

Pioneer HDJ-2000

Koss Pro DJ100

Shure SRH750DJ
AKG K267

Young Magus

Kind of complicated answer, but if what you're using has a decent on board sound-card or DAC then the E11 might be fine. If you're not sure I'd recommend getting something with an integrated DAC rather than a standalone amp.

Here is the sound card my Computer has:

Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

injurai

Banned
HDJ2000 have a removable cord.

They certainly seem pretty awesome.

But I was more meaning neutral (a bit of added bass if fine, just I really don't want anything like a forced equalizer) production cans that just happen to have a removable cord so I could swap it out for a coiled one if I where to DJ. Maybe that pair is indeed what I'm looking for.

I was considering these a while back when they were discounted. But looks like they are all gone. Audio Technica ATH-AD700

HiResDes

They are neutral, AD700 have absolutely no bass, and don't feature a removable cable. The closed version are also a bit heavier than the HDJ2000. Open air cans normally aren't used for DJing, did you mean monitoring? Open means they don't isolate any sound, which could be very bothersome if you're going to be using them for DJing.

Strange story for today...
Well I've started playing 3DS after Bravely Default hit the stores and have either used some el cheapo earbuds or the ones that came with my iPhone and was more than happy with them.

So today I open one of my junk drawers to store some other junk and find new looking (flat cables) earphones... I ask my wife and she is like oh yeah I bought those for a few bucks thought you might want them, but forgot to tell me about them.

So I try them out and daaaaaaamn. What a difference in everything. Sounds I have never heard before are so clear. Worst thing is that I hate the sound of everything else now. And another worst thing is they probably aren't even good :)

They are called "Native NS-3" and this is all I could find about them:

Code:
Frequency response: 20 - 20000 Hz

Sensitivity: 95 dB

Impedance: 16 ohms

Aperture: 11 mm

Is it any good? Not looking for better right now but I feel I must upgrade at least my iPhone ones as I listen to some music/audio books here and there.

In short what should I look for in ear/headphones? What numbers are important and what do they all do? :)

Tommy DJ

Since I've got the Fostex T50RP headphones, I'm looking to get the Audio-GD NFB15.32 all-in-one gizmo. Interestingly, there is a $30 TCXO upgrade but everything about it screams audiophile bullshit. Am I right in my assessment?

Edit: To clarify, I've read around but there isn't a lot of information regarding how it improves the DAC. It seems most people just get it because you might as well. Everything about the TCXO upgrade seems like Audio-GD understanding the Goldilocks principle.

Number45

Is anyone aware of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter JUST to change the profile of the male so that it will go through the hole of an iPad smart case? The cable that comes with the headphones won't insert all of the way through the hold in the case. :(

I can obviously buy an extension, but I don't want to extend the cable (even by a small amount) if I can avoid it.
As I'm not sure what I'm asking for exists I might as well look to get a short extension. :(

Was thinking of getting this. Any thoughts or recommendations for a UK based alternative?

HiResDes

Im about to be in Tokyo in about a week, any place that sells headphones and other equipment?

• Yodobashi Camera in the Akihabara area
  • Audio Union stores in Tokyo (Ochanomizu area)
  • The Disk Union in Shinjuku also has gear in their shop next to the classical music store

I'd check out Fujiya-Avic in Nakano and E-earphone in Akihabara, both of them carry used earphones/headphones and offer significant discounts on used gear that's typically in great condition

Im about to be in Tokyo in about a week, any place that sells headphones and other equipment?

• The Disk Union in Shinjuku also has gear in their shop next to the classical music store

I'd check out Fujiya-Avic in Nakano and E-earphone in Akihabara, both of them carry used earphones/headphones and offer significant discounts on used gear that's typically in great condition

These are all excellent recommendations. Was there anything in particular you were planning to get? Audio Technica and JVC are cheaper here than outside Japan.

The JVC HA-S500 headphones and JVC HA-FXD80 IEMs in particular would be good purchases. They're around 2800 yen and 4600 yen, respectively but go for almost double the price on Amazon.com or Ebay.

I own both and really love them. The HA-S500 is fun, pairs with pop, rock, electronica well, and has a decent amount of bass (more than the AKGs I use). I just bought the HA-FXD80s a few days and I haven't used them much, but they're sounding pretty good. They are showing a lot of promise, and Head-Fi seems to love them.

Young Magus

These are all excellent recommendations. Was there anything in particular you were planning to get? Audio Technica and JVC are cheaper here than outside Japan.

The JVC HA-S500 headphones and JVC HA-FXD80 IEMs in particular would be good purchases. They're around 2800 yen and 4600 yen, respectively but go for almost double the price on Amazon.com or Ebay.

I own both and really love them. The HA-S500 is fun, pairs with pop, rock, electronica well, and has a decent amount of bass (more than the AKGs I use). I just bought the HA-FXD80s a few days and I haven't used them much, but they're sounding pretty good. They are showing a lot of promise, and Head-Fi seems to love them.

Thanks for all the recommendations out there! I'm looking for an nice DAC/Amp out here and wondering where to hit up. There is also a Hifi-Do here as well.

Thanks for all the recommendations out there! I'm looking for an nice DAC/Amp out here and wondering where to hit up. There is also a Hifi-Do here as well.

Yodobashi, Fujiya-Avic, and E-earphone also sell DAC/AMP combos as well. They carry most of the familiar brands: Fiio, iBasso, Audinst, Fostex, etc. I think prices in Japan are about the same anywhere else. There are also Audio Techinca amps, but I haven't tried those.

Edit-
Yodobashi amp list
E-earphone amp list
Fujiya-avic amp list

You can also navigate the menus in those sites. If you don't know Japanese:
ヘッドホン = headphones
イヤホン = earphones (IEMs and earbuds)

Again, thank you kind sir!

Found something of interest in on of the links, can anyone tell me if this is a good amp/DAC?

I have that very same DAC/amp combo! It was my first one, bought it a couple of years ago. It paired well with my Macbook Pro and AKG K271 Mk2 phones. If you've never owned one before, I'd say it's a good beginner amp. Of course, you'll want to upgrade one day.
Here's a review I found: http://www.trustedreviews.com/iBass...ifier_Portable-Audio_review#tr-review-summary

Another good option might be the Fiiio E07 or the Fiio E17. The E07 is more portable while the E17 has a stronger amp. You can look up reviews on Head-Fi or Headfonia if you're interested.

Edit- About the D12 you edited in, I saw this quote on a headphone forum: "The default D12 (original opamp) has a more transparent sound (can be perceived as cold by some) while the E17 is targeted to mainstream audience with warm and smooth sound signature."

And it looks like the E17 is pretty versatile too:
625b5ebb_201112301130627.jpeg

HiResDes

Thanks! Do foam tips sound better? I wonder if it's worth paying more money for those listed in the first link. I want a better seal that's less likely to fall out of my ear.

edit: And I'm nervous about betting on my ear "size," which makes the combo packs a bit more appealing.
Complys are the very best foams, but I've found all foams tame the bass at least slightly so it's kinda tricky to recommend, wish you could just try them. I use the MEE biflanges myself

Complys are the very best foams, but I've found all foams tame the bass at least slightly so it's kinda tricky to recommend, wish you could just try them. I use the MEE biflanges myself

Wonderful, I'll go with the MEE tips--I like that shape, but I lost the ones I had.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, I'm so tempted by the KEF M500.

Been thinking for awhile that I could get something that isn't as freaking huge as the Akg K551 as my portable, and the KEF looks so beautiful...

I still love the K551's sound though, and I can pretty much tolerate the bigness, but the pads are starting to stink a little even though I've tried washing it, but it's not really noticeable unless you really go smelling for it...

Thing is I still have the Sennheiser Hd25-1 II which I also love the sound of, and all I have to do is replace the cables to get them to work again. Plus they have qualities which I consider perfect for portable uses, mainly the clamp and isolation...

So at this point I want the KEF M500 because they look beautiful and I like to experiment with new sounds. This is a disease.

docbon

Welp, after 5 months of using my A161P, the thin wiring going into the housing of the earbud has become surprisingly brittle, and the portion right next to the stress relief looks ready to snap off. I've tried to be careful with these earburds, but it didn't really matter in the end. They're really not cut out for their intended use with mobile devices.

It's unfortunate because I felt they sounded quite pleasant. I'm going to try and make use of the limited warranty in the next few days. If it goes poorly, I'll probably avoid buying from MEElectronics in the future.

In other news, my dad has been really enjoying the Sennheiser Amperiors I gave him as a gift. The sound quality is just bananas at the price range, and practically every part of it can be replaced if need be.

Young Magus

Looking at buying the fiios E17 amp tomorrow. Plan on using the Mad Dogs with this so if anyone has anything to say regarding this combo speak up pls.

Tommy DJ

I've bought and tried the Audio-GD NFB15.32 (recommendation from Head-Fi) for a few days with a pair of Mad Dogs. My impressions are so negative that I'm willing to part with it. Compared to the $150 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, its worse in every single way but consumer electronic connectivity.

Positives:
- Connectivity is quite good, though there is no analogue input. Its good enough to hook a console and desktop however.
- Its built well and is pretty handsome. It doesn't have good fit and finish but for the price you can't expect everything.
- The bass is pretty full and solid.

Negatives:
- Its really deep for what it is. I cranked it open and the design that necessitates the space looks excessively complex like most "audiophile Class A designs".
- Speaking of Class A, it gets stupid warm/hot even if it isn't doing anything. There isn't any ventilation to speak of so I guess the case acts as a heatsink? It gets hotter than my power amp and it doesn't even have tubes. Definitely wouldn't feel too confident running it in the Australian heat.
- The filter switches don't do anything. They probably do but blind testing suggests that I can't tell anything. Same goes for the oversample feature. With certain content, you have to decrease the oversample for the amp to actually output something that isn't silence or white noise. If anything, this might suggest something about DACs that claim insanely high bit and sampling rates...
- There's something about the midrange and highs that just sound...off. I can't explain, it sounds muddy and sometimes the highs just sound excessively sharp. To confirm, I listened to Reggatta de Blanc and yep, Copeland's snare and cymbals sound dreadful.

For the $300 or so bucks its selling for, I have no idea why you would pick this over, say, an O2 + ODAC (which does actually sound pretty good) or an audio interface unless you wanted a preamp that isn't USB powered.

Hello!

I need a recommendation for some ear buds/in ears my Sony MDR-E828LP's just broke on me.

Only restriction is I need the jack to be laying flat not sticking upright (not sure on technical term.)

Price £10-100.

Thanks.

Top Bottom