• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones for use mainly at work. Wife just got me a new iPod Touch so I figured now would be a good time to retire my Sennheiser HD 202.

I listen to a variety of genres so I need something that has solid bass but not overpowering.

So as to be considerate to my fellow employees, I'd also like them to have as little leak as possible without compromising on the sound I hear.

I'm looking to spend around $150. Any suggestions?

EDIT: How about these?

Not nearly as accurate but more efficient, slightly less airy, more bass impact, rolled off treble.

Hmm, I am looking for a bit more bass in my headphones. Maybe I'll sell my Q701's and get the X1's. Are we allowed to sell on here? I have a perfect pair with no blemishes or anything along with all original packaging and accessories. I also have a 5' Mogami 2893 w/Canare F12 plug and red Techflex PET cable to go with it. Anyone can PM me if interested, I can take pics.

Talon

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones for use mainly at work. Wife just got me a new iPod Touch so I figured now would be a good time to retire my Sennheiser HD 202.

I listen to a variety of genres so I need something that has solid bass but not overpowering.

So as to be considerate to my fellow employees, I'd also like them to have as little leak as possible without compromising on the sound I hear.

I'm looking to spend around $150. Any suggestions?

EDIT: How about these?
Story, my man. That's a great choice. Take a look at the Brainwavz HM5 too. Raved about neutral, closed headphones that are super comfortable.

elfinke

Story, my man. That's a great choice. Take a look at the Brainwavz HM5 too. Raved about neutral, closed headphones that are super comfortable.

Damn, ~$150US for that bundle is alright. As usual, doesn't ship to Aust. Headphone shopping here fucking sucks.

Tommy DJ

Hmm, I am looking for a bit more bass in my headphones. Maybe I'll sell my Q701's and get the X1's. Are we allowed to sell on here? I have a perfect pair with no blemishes or anything along with all original packaging and accessories. I also have a 5' Mogami 2893 w/Canare F12 plug and red Techflex PET cable to go with it. Anyone can PM me if interested, I can take pics.

There's a stickied Sell topic in the Community subforum if you want to try your luck with a larger community.

Anyway, I do think the X1s are much better than the Q701s. I actually don't think any of the newer AKG flagships are particularly good as they distort like mad when driven really loud and have that midrange hump that drives me mad. The Philips are pretty obviously bass orientated (so they're coloured headphones) but they also don't have the previously mentioned 2-3KHz bump that all AKG headphones and microphones have for some reason. Vocals on the Philips will likely sound better to you and the headphone itself will probably be more comfortable to use over long periods of time.

That $150 X1 deal was really stupidly insane.

Damn, ~$150US for that bundle is alright. As usual, doesn't ship to Aust. Headphone shopping here fucking sucks.

If you're grey importing, DWI will sell them to you with shipping for $150AUD. The Fiio E6 isn't that much either. If you include shipping from the United States to Australia plus currency conversion, you would really save that much from that deal.

Dunno if DWI sells fake audio hardware but their camera hardware is definitely authentic.

elfinke

If you're grey importing, DWI will sell them to you with shipping for $150AUD. The Fiio E6 isn't that much either. If you include shipping from the United States to Australia plus currency conversion, you would really save that much from that deal.

Dunno if DWI sells fake audio hardware but their camera hardware is definitely authentic.

Yeah, I've bought lenses from DWI before with great success.

Last year they had a ripper set of prices on the AD700X and AD900X and I bought one of each, only for them to run out of stock before confirming my order. So rather than wait a month or more for resupply, I cancelled the order, thus pre-longing the everlasting, ever ongoing search for elfinke's headphones!

(I've been burning in these Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions for awhile now (though still nowhere near the 100+ hours I've seen recommended on the net). They're still the most awful sounding things I've laid ear on, so I'm guessing there is more to do!)

I just ordered the ones I'd linked too. Felt that was a decent price for good headphones and an amp. I listen to music all the time while working so I should hear a great step up from the HD 202 I have been using.

There's a stickied Sell topic in the Community subforum if you want to try your luck with a larger community.

Anyway, I do think the X1s are much better than the Q701s. I actually don't think any of the newer AKG flagships are particularly good as they distort like mad when driven really loud and have that midrange hump that drives me mad. The Philips are pretty obviously bass orientated (so they're coloured headphones) but they also don't have the previously mentioned 2-3KHz bump that all AKG headphones and microphones have for some reason. Vocals on the Philips will likely sound better to you and the headphone itself will probably be more comfortable to use over long periods of time.

That $150 X1 deal was really stupidly insane.

I'll try my luck there. Maybe I can also also try head-fi, but since I barely have any posts there, I'm not sure how it'll go.

Thanks for the impressions :)

I saw that $150 deal, but didn't really want to spend money that I didn't have. I got some money on an Amazon gift card from my tax return so I figure I could get it now. Not sure if it'll ever drop back down to $150.

HiResDes

Yeah, I've bought lenses from DWI before with great success.

Last year they had a ripper set of prices on the AD700X and AD900X and I bought one of each, only for them to run out of stock before confirming my order. So rather than wait a month or more for resupply, I cancelled the order, thus pre-longing the everlasting, ever ongoing search for elfinke's headphones!

(I've been burning in these Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions for awhile now (though still nowhere near the 100+ hours I've seen recommended on the net). They're still the most awful sounding things I've laid ear on, so I'm guessing there is more to do!)
I don't think you like them so I'd sell them, though you're probably not getting a good seal.

Vocals are definitely better on AKG from a clarity standpoint. AKG flagships are great, especially the smaller version of the K550s

One thing I'm a bit confused about in terms of ideal settings, have a pair of HE-400s and an E17. Should I try to have gain at 0 and turn the volume to max? Or is 6 alright? Also wonder about the bass/Tremble settings and if there is any combination deemed ideal. Imagine it's a case by case rule but just wondering if there's a general recommendation. Really like them but they do feel a bit heavy at times, never quite sure how to set the size.

One last question, is moon audio the place to get the velour pads from?

HiResDes

One thing I'm a bit confused about in terms of ideal settings, have a pair of HE-400s and an E17. Should I try to have gain at 0 and turn the volume to max? Or is 6 alright? Also wonder about the bass/Tremble settings and if there is any combination deemed ideal. Imagine it's a case by case rule but just wondering if there's a general recommendation. Really like them but they do feel a bit heavy at times, never quite sure how to set the size.

One last question, is moon audio the place to get the velour pads from?
Source should always at least be at 75%, but I usually turn my source all the way up.

Lucentto

Banned
Need some help, been trying to find some new headphones for general use. Can't decide between these:

Superlux HD668B
Superlux HD-681 EVO
Creative Aurvana Live!
Samson SR850

Comfort is a major factor since I am going to be wearing these for a long period.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Just wanted to chime in again on the RHA MA350. Had tested them sitting at a desk but not out running until today. I had read about people complaining about how loud the noise is from the cord rubbing on your shirt. When the music is on I never noticed any other sound but the music coming from them. Had the cord go down my back, so maybe that helped too, but I'm very happy with them Des. =]
Thanks for your quick replies

andylsun

I think it was the studios

goGaRcEl.jpg

To be honest I'm all set for closed back headphones since I bought my HD25's last year, but did like the look of the TMA-1's though not actually listened to them

suko_32

Is there a headphone out there that has a sound signature like the DT 880 Premiums, but the comfort of HD 650's or 555's and under $500?

My problem is I like how the DT 880's sound, but my ears get hot and uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. With the HD 650's I can wear those for a while without getting fatigued, but I prefer the DT 880's sound.

I figure it can't hurt to ask.

terrible

Banned
Is there a headphone out there that has a sound signature like the DT 880 Premiums, but the comfort of HD 650's or 555's and under $500?

My problem is I like how the DT 880's sound, but my ears get hot and uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. With the HD 650's I can wear those for a while without getting fatigued, but I prefer the DT 880's sound.

That's really tough for me. Personally I find my DT880s and HD650s to be equally as uncomfortable even though both are considered comfortable by most. My ears don't get hot but the top of my head gets sore after about an hour of listening to both of them even though their designs are totally different. That never happened to me with my 555's though, same with my newer 558's.

I personally don't own anything comfortable that sounds like my DT880s so I'm kind of useless lol. My DT990 Pros are probably the closest (more bass heavy) but they have basically the exact same comfort but with a higher clamp force.

I'm interested in potential suggestions as well to be honest. I love my DT880s but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want something more comfortable.

HiResDes

Sony MDRMA900 maybe, but they don't have the extended treble that the DT880 have.

Has anyone else had issues with Amazon's shipping speed lately. Seems they are regressing to me. I ordered my headphones Friday morning but they didn't get the things packed and ready for UPS until 3 pm the next day. /vent

Really looking forward to my new headphones getting here but I'm starting to question whether I want to pay for Amazon Prime anymore.

EDIT: So it appears UPS decided the best course of action was to fly my headphones from Columbia, SC to Louisville, KY today and will presumably head to Atlanta, GA next. I live an hour and half south of ATL and 4 hours away from Columbia, SC. It would've been cheaper for them to just ground ship it and get it here in a day rather than ensuring that it would be 2 day delivery by flying it to Louisville. Holy hell....

elfinke

Beyerdynamic DT880s are on sale for $219, add them to the cart and use the promo code: Audiophile

Even with $70 P&H, that's damn cheap relative to local prices.

In other news, in my determined efforts to not be defeated by those V-Sonics I bought, I've 'burned them in', which I still think is largely some hokey-Homeopathy-headphone shit, but also spent a concerted 30 or 40 minutes working my way through my collection of tips, and really spending time to get them to fit (things like moving my jaw, yawning and all that while fitting them).

As a result, I've found a tip that fits perfectly in my right ear, and found 2 or 3 that give say, 80%-95% perfect fit in my left ear. As a result - and when the left phone is sitting neatly in my ear - these things do sound legitimately great (though they're not awfully forgiving of terrible source material!)

So I'm still not convinced that IEM's are for me, but I have had a 180' change in opinion to these phones, for sure!

garath

Well I've pretty much decided on the X1s. They sound like exactly what I want in terms of good gaming performance, strong bass, great soundstage, comfort, etc.

I've been watching the price on Amazon and it's been floating between 225 and 240 give or take. I have hopes it might hit ~$215 or something and I'll jump on it but I guess the opposite could happen and it just rises up to $250. Sigh. I'm going to buy sometime in the next month so just going to keep my eye on it.

The Kid

Hi guys, I'm looking for closed over the ear headphones to use with my iPad, 3ds, and vita. Ideally I'd like them to be somewhat portable/light as I plan to be doing some traveling in the near future and having a portable set of headphones would be great (although this isn't a deal breaker). I'm looking to spend between 100-150. Thanks for the advice!

Alright, so I finally got my new headphones.

First off, they sound amazing (at least to me).

I think I might have received a faulty FiiO E6 though. It's charging with the USB cable on the computer but when I hooked up my iPod and my headphones, it played fine with no EQ. The purple one was a garbled mess, and no sound at all on the blue or red settings. Is it broken or am I doing something obviously wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, other cable worked like a charm. Holy shit this sounds awesome!

Ludovico

Welp, my Sansa Zip's screen has failed, and now I'm trying to decide whether to simply replace it or shoot for an upgrade.

The Fiio X3 looks really slick, I'm just afraid of whether I'll be able to tell a noticeable difference from what I'm used to if I'm going to justify the costs.

Still using my V Moda 80's regularly, would getting a nicer player and a portable amp give significant results if the majority of my stuff is mp3 @ 320?

I have some expendable tax money, so I'm just looking to buy SOMETHING

Here's a set I found from HeadFi, I JUST bought a 32gb microSD recently, but I guess more space couldn't hurt. What's the use of the coaxial cables?

XBP

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a set of budget earphone (IEM) but not sure what to get. My budget is max 30$. My main problem is the overpriced earphones on amazon CA. Whatever costs 30$ on amazon.com is 2x on the CA site (facepalm). I know that the Panasonic RPHJE120K are in my budget but is there anything else i can get within 30$?

These are for general use + music of different genres (rap, soft rock etc). Not sure if this matters given my low budget.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HiResDes

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a set of budget earphone (IEM) but not sure what to get. My budget is max 30$. My main problem is the overpriced earphones on amazon CA. Whatever costs 30$ on amazon.com is 2x on the CA site (facepalm). I know that the Panasonic RPHJE120K are in my budget but is there anything else i can get within 30$?

These are for general use + music of different genres (rap, soft rock etc). Not sure if this matters given my low budget.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How much are brainwavz delta, just use MP4nation
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-delta-iem-earphones

I love my V-Moda Remix Remote but I think it's about time for me to get a new pair. There's nothing wrong with them, but I want something that has a flat or tangle free cord and the controltalk or whatever the other brands call the 3 button Apple thing.

Sound wise, I'm not a basshead but it needs some good bass, I also wouldn't mind if it was pretty balanced. My backup IEM is the Monoprice 8320 and while they're good, they lack some bass.

Lastly, comfort. It needs to be comfortable as hell. This is the biggest issue I have with my V-Moda's. They're comfortable for short bursts of listening, like walking across campus to my next class. Beyond that, they're still workable but it gets a little tiring to have them on.

One pair that interested me is the Monster Gratitude... some of the reviews I've read at Head-Fi to fit my criteria but I'm not exactly sure since not many people own them.

My max is $60 so I know there are a lot of good options out there, I just dunno what's good. Also, they don't have to be strictly IEM's.

Any suggestions would be great.

They're not the best sounding, but you're requirements are kind of ridiculous

Lol I know. It's exactly why I haven't replaced my V-Moda's in the last 3 years. They're seriously one of the best IEM's I've ever come across. The original pair I had lasted me almost 2 years before dying and I'm still rocking the replacement thanks to V-Moda's awesome warranty.

I just really don't like how it gets a little uncomfortable to have them in my ears for a long time. I actually used a pair of Comply T-400's on my original pair but damn things turned yellow after a month and I'm not going to pay 5 bucks a month to replace them so I've been using whatever these V-Moda silicones are.

Anyway, what if I take out the control talk requirement? Does that make it less ridiculous?

Valente

Neo Member
Any good recommendations in the 100-150 range for a pair of over ears that are comfortable, not tight around the head. I like Sony MDR-10RDC, I found them to be really comfortable but 200 is a bit pricy for me.

Hi guys, i just lost my earphones so I'm looking for new ones. I like in-ear headphones and my budget is 100-150€ or so. Could i get some recommendations or A heads up on some nice deal?

Top Bottom