• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

CatPee

So I currently already own ATH-M50, Fidelio X1, and AKG K550, but I'm tempted to drop some more cash for either a pair of Q701s, Superlux HD-681 EVOs, or some ATH-A900Xs.

Thoughts?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So I currently already own ATH-M50, Fidelio X1, and AKG K550, but I'm tempted to drop some more cash for either a pair of Q701s, Superlux HD-681 EVOs, or some ATH-A900Xs.

Thoughts?

Why spend more money to stay in the same-ish tier? You have a wide variety of sound signatures already.

I say, reach far beyond for your next set.

elfinke

Almost off-topic, but I just wanna say that having recently bought a Fiio E11, my listening enjoyment has increased immeasurably. What a fun bit of gear it is.

Tommy DJ

Don't do a Head-Fi and just buy headphones. I...don't really think any of those headphones are anything to write home about so you're only wasting your money.

If you want to "upgrade", you might as well get something that has a smooth frequency curve, little distortion, and good driver matching like a Focal Spirit Pro/Classic or the Sennheiser HD600 rather than even more coloured headphones with questionable build quality.

HiResDes

Why spend more money to stay in the same-ish tier? You have a wide variety of sound signatures already.

I say, reach far beyond for your next set.

Don't do a Head-Fi and just buy headphones. I...don't really think any of those headphones are anything to write home about so you're only wasting your money.

If you want to "upgrade", you might as well get something that has a smooth frequency curve, little distortion, and good driver matching like a Focal Spirit Pro/Classic or the Sennheiser HD600 rather than even more coloured headphones with questionable build quality.

Yep. You need to be looking at the "next" tier.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Seriously though, any impressions on the build quality of the RE242 or the audiofly af33?

The RE242 is made by Hifiman. That alone tells one that the build quality is likely mediocre.

I own the RE2, RE-ZERO, RE-400, and HE-300, so some around here may say that K.Jack loves the 'Hifiman sound', and they'd be correct.

All of the above sets were sent back for repair multiple times, and in fact are all in broken states right now. I've now sworn off the brand, despite greatly enjoying the products' tuning. The more expensive sets seem to be more durable, but I just can't spend even more hundreds with this company.

And this RE-242 is likely out of warranty? Yeah you better be getting a great deal.

XBP

Does anyone know of a place where i could buy a replacement cable that looks like this?

RWRvX6G.jpg

This is a replacement cable for takstar HD5000/5500

So I got these in the mail today:

The Logitech UE4000, the UE6000's lesser brother.

Build quality seems pretty nice and it seems pretty comfortable. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I've had a go at the UE6000 and they sound amazing and the UE4000's were $30 bucks so it was pretty much a no brainer.

Listening to Daft Punk's RAM on a flat EQ and ALAC(Apple's FLAC) it feels like the top end needs some more oomph. Snares aren't punchy enough and the hi-hats sound muted... had to turn up 8k and 16k on the EQ to get my desired sound. Crazy enough, the lows and mids are very similar to my MDR-V6's and I love it for that, the high's are ruining it though.

I'll be burning it in this weekend and hopefully the sound will change or I get used to it haha. If not, I'll probably return these and just suck it up and by a pair of Comply's every 3 months or whatever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The RE242 is made by Hifiman. That alone tells one that the build quality is likely mediocre.

I own the RE2, RE-ZERO, RE-400, and HE-300, so some around here may say that K.Jack loves the 'Hifiman sound', and they'd be correct.

All of the above sets were sent back for repair multiple times, and in fact are all in broken states right now. I've now sworn off the brand, despite greatly enjoying the products' tuning. The more expensive sets seem to be more durable, but I just can't spend even more hundreds with this company.

And this RE-242 is likely out of warranty? Yeah you better be getting a great deal.

Hmm, yeah, I was afraid of that. Though I'm still looking forward to the HE400i. Might be the first "mid-top end" phone I get.

I'll just look at the audiofly AF33 then. I just want something cheap that doesn't sound bad.

Tommy DJ

Does anyone know of a place where i could buy a replacement cable that looks like this?

RWRvX6G.jpg

This is a replacement cable for takstar HD5000/5500

Looks like a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable...? Just use eBay. Cables, generally speaking, don't influence the sound of the headphone so long the shielding is OK and the cable isn't defective.

If you want something more specific, the Vmoda cable should work pretty well. Its cheap, looks pretty cool and its built pretty well.

So I got these in the mail today:

The Logitech UE4000, the UE6000's lesser brother.

Build quality seems pretty nice and it seems pretty comfortable. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I've had a go at the UE6000 and they sound amazing and the UE4000's were $30 bucks so it was pretty much a no brainer.

Listening to Daft Punk's RAM on a flat EQ and ALAC(Apple's FLAC) it feels like the top end needs some more oomph. Snares aren't punchy enough and the hi-hats sound muted... had to turn up 8k and 16k on the EQ to get my desired sound. Crazy enough, the lows and mids are very similar to my MDR-V6's and I love it for that, the high's are ruining it though.

I'll be burning it in this weekend and hopefully the sound will change or I get used to it haha. If not, I'll probably return these and just suck it up and by a pair of Comply's every 3 months or whatever.

Burn-in doesn't really do anything. Well it does but it doesn't make something drastically better like most audiophile reviews like to suggest. The most burn-in will probably do is to weed out defective headphones.

So if you don't like it after a few days of using them, just return them. Just a note but if you're comparing those headphone's highs to the Sony V6's highs, it should be noted that the V6 has a lot of treble emphasis.

Owzers

i forgot there was a headphones thread on gaf and purchased these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/bose-ae2/4505-7877_7-34210220.html

CNET seemed to like them but i am interested in any opinions before i open them, they were on sale at amazon for $80. I want something that sounds nice for handheld gaming on vita/3ds/wii u gamepad/ps4 headphones on the controller, i won't really be using them for music that often, so being light and comfortable were huge pluses for casual use. Thoughts?

HiResDes

Don't buy Bose headphones unless you absolutely need active noise cancelling and the Quiet Comforts are on sale for less than $200.

Just placed my order on Amazon for the HE-500s. :D

Super excited to get them, they should be here tomorrow.

I already have the Beyer DT-880s, and I've heard that these have a very different sound signature, which is what I'm looking for.

Owzers

Don't buy Bose headphones unless you absolutely need active noise cancelling and the Quiet Comforts are on sale for less than $200.

that seemed to be the general opinion of Bose but these headphones looked comfy and got good reviews so i was swayed into purchasing them when they were on sale. Right now i'm using my only pair of budget ones, Sennheiser PX100, they are okay but not that comfy on my ears.

HiResDes

Just placed my order on Amazon for the HE-500s. :D

Super excited to get them, they should be here tomorrow.

I already have the Beyer DT-880s, and I've heard that these have a very different sound signature, which is what I'm looking for.
The sub bass on them is probably going to the first thing you immediately notice.

Today my headphones had a broken wire near the headphone jack after about 6 months of use (ugh). Now it only returns minimal sound. I may plan on trying to fix them in the future but until then, does anyone here use headphones with replaceable and detachable cables? Are they worth investing in?

Is broken wire mostly a problem with lower tier headphones? The headphones I had before the pair that just broken had a great cable (more expensive set), it never tangled or bent.

XBP

Looks like a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable...? Just use eBay. Cables, generally speaking, don't influence the sound of the headphone so long the shielding is OK and the cable isn't defective.

If you want something more specific, the Vmoda cable should work pretty well. Its cheap, looks pretty cool and its built pretty well.

Thats what i thought initially as well but the side of the cable which goes in the headphones has a small bump in it (see picture below). Would the v-moda cable still fit in the headphone?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

4kZcFHI.jpg

XBP

They're awesome. Love the build quality and they sound superb. Plus they're extremely comfortable and fit completely over my ears so i have no problems with wearing them for hours on end.

My only major gripe with them is that they leak a lot of audio. At 50% volume (WMP and Windows both), in a quite room, a person sitting somewhat close to me can make out the lyrics of the song i'm listening to quite easily. I have to reduce the volume to around 35-40% in windows media player to make them not leak anything. Anything over 50% audio gets annoying for other people (in a quite room). But i guess i cant ask for everything in a headphone that cost me 75$.

Now if only i can find some replacement cables for them. Every headphone that i've ever owned has had one main problem = their cables got messed up in a couple of months. I dont want this to happen to these so finding some replacement cables would at least ensure that i would have a backup in case my current cables stop working.

By the way i have a different question, if anyone here has eminem's new album can you please listen to rap god and tell me if they're is a cracking (distortion of sort) in the song's beginning? From 0:00 to 0:30. I'm quite sure i haven't heard this before, tried listening to the song from the CD + on different systems and its still there.

garath

Got my X1s yesterday. Wow. I'm pretty damn impressed. Super comfortable - almost as much as the Senn 558s I borrowed from a friend - and I love the punch from the low end. Definitely more "fun" than the Senns.

Only played League of Legends and listened to some music so far. Will have to play some Skyrim and plug them into my home theater receiver too.

I have been going back and forth between buying a HD-650 or a HE-400. The drawback of the latter seems to be the comfort (heavy, clamping force, can shape). But they appear to be everything that I want - I listen to a lot of electronic music (Squarepusher, Massive Attack, that stuff) and the internet tells me they excel at bass delivery. So just when I settled for the 650 (in particular for their comfort and their scaling with amps) I found out that there is a HE-400i coming out - which addresses a lot of my concerns. So I guess I have to wait a bit to see what this new HE-400i brings.

Are there any other cans that I need to consider? I already have a nice set of closed cans (AKG K550) for the office. LCD-2's are bit too expensive, especially as I would then feel obliged to upgrade my dac/amp. Currently I'm using a Nuforce (icon mobile?), which may need upgrading anyway. The drawback is that it is nearly impossible to test headphones as most hifi stores here only stock the big brands and the new brands like Hifiman are mainly sold online.

Just started listening to the HE-500s, but so far I'm super impressed. The sound is so textured and rich, and the bass blows my 880s out of the fucking water.

Back to listening.

Tommy DJ

Thats what i thought initially as well but the side of the cable which goes in the headphones has a small bump in it (see picture below). Would the v-moda cable still fit in the headphone?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I honestly don't know but the v-moda cable is pretty low profile so it should actually fit unless there's something additionally special about that square connector.

Most people use the v-moda cable for headphones with recessed jacks because the strain relief and jack size are a lot smaller than most decent cables.

Looking for a pair of headphones for movies, gym, and everyday use. Sound is very important to me, but so is motion lol (I don't want them to fall off while I'm hustling about). My requirements:

1.) $100

2.) Must stay on my head or in my ears. I have weird ears, so ear buds fall off at the slightest nod, so I'm looking for either a headset* or ear buds with hooks.

*I also have a big head, so if it's a headset, please recommend something that is adjustable. lol thanks.

XBP

I honestly don't know but the v-moda cable is pretty low profile so it should actually fit unless there's something additionally special about that square connector.

Most people use the v-moda cable for headphones with recessed jacks because the strain relief and jack size are a lot smaller than most decent cables.

I guess i could always contact v-moda. I dont think they'll even know about the takstars but i guess its worth a shot.

HiResDes

Looking for a pair of headphones for movies, gym, and everyday use. Sound is very important to me, but so is motion lol (I don't want them to fall off while I'm hustling about). My requirements:

1.) $100

2.) Must stay on my head or in my ears. I have weird ears, so ear buds fall off at the slightest nod, so I'm looking for either a headset* or ear buds with hooks.

*I also have a big head, so if it's a headset, please recommend something that is adjustable. lol thanks.

I wouldn't recommend spending more than $50 on anything you're going to be running with as the chances of the item falling, driver exposure to perspiration, and strain on the cable will significantly increase your chances of breaking whatever it is you buy. Therefore, I'd just recommend copping some Sport-Fi M6

Hey guys. I just found Sennheiser MM70i's at my Future Shop for $40, from a regular MSRP of $120. I know they're not super-crazy audiophile earbuds, but what do you guys think? For someone who's new to the high-end audio scene, are these a good bargain?

Also, my friend is saying that earbuds have better sound quality than headphones and is recommending I get these MM70i's instead of (as opposed to in addition to) a pair of AKG Q701s that I've been eyeing. I'm mainly looking to play games and listen to music on PC -- and yes, I will be ordering a soundcard to go along with them.

Grief.exe

Also, my friend is saying that earbuds have better sound quality than headphones and is recommending I get these MM70i's instead of (as opposed to in addition to) a pair of AKG Q701s that I've been eyeing. I'm mainly looking to play games and listen to music on PC -- and yes, I will be ordering a soundcard to go along with them.

Don't ever take advice from that friend again.

Can anyone give me some advice on a mic.

I need a new headset for my Xbox, but don't want to shell out $100 for a halfway decent pairs & the $20 sets look like they belong in the Dollar Tree store.

Can a mic be connected to my headphones & be used as a headset for gaming?

I been looking at this, $7 & people seem to say the audio quality is great.
9289.jpg

But I'm not sure how that works. Right now I have my headphones connected to my TV audio output jack.
How would I connect both my headphone & the mic to my TV?

Is it really better than the bargain bin gaming headsets out there?

terrible

Banned
I used to use headphones + that exact mic with an Astro Mixamp with my Xbox 360 for sound + chat. That's the easiest way to do it. I now use that same setup with my PS4.

I think I paid about $100 for my Mixamp with all the cables needed so if you're looking to spend way less than that I can't really help, sorry.

I used to use headphones + that exact mic with an Astro Mixamp with my Xbox 360 for sound + chat. That's the easiest way to do it. I now use that same setup with my PS4.

I think I paid about $100 for my Mixamp with all the cables needed so if you're looking to spend way less than that I can't really help, sorry.

I need a amp to get the mic to work with my headphones?
There isn't a adapter to plug both the mic & the headphone into my TVs audio jack?

Any good headphones in the $50-60 range? I'm currently thinking about Sennheiser hd 419, 428 and the jvc ha-rx900.

Any thoughts on these headphones? Which of these offer the best bass?

Just some glamour shots of the HE-500's.

Used my phone so forgive the quality.

PR9zmCSl.jpg

J0urEf9l.jpg

Really love these things. Sounds leaps better than my 880's, which I was skeptical of.

Top Bottom