• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

XBP

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the price of these on amazon.com, looked under the resellers and found mp4nation listed. Buying it from them through amazon is somehow working out to be cheaper (20$). So i guess this would be an awesome buy.

A question though. I've never really owned very good quality headphones/earphones (always bought the cheapest ones available). I'm just wondering if upping my budget and buying something more expensive (but still relatively cheap) would be a good thing to do? Is there really a huge difference in sound quality between something that would cost 30$ and 100$ (stupid question i know)?

If i increase my budget to around 100$, can i get any good headphones with great sound and build quality? If yes, then i'd love some suggestions, my requirements once again:

- Great sound quality + build quality headphones (i'd rather not spend 100$ on earphones).
- Listen to normal stuff like podcasts, watch videos etc.
- Music i like = Rap and soft rock
- Maybe somewhat portable? I'd love to take these headphones while i'm outside

Sorry for the long post.

HiResDes

Hi guys, i just lost my earphones so I'm looking for new ones. I like in-ear headphones and my budget is 100-150€ or so. Could i get some recommendations or A heads up on some nice deal?

Need more specifics, you have A LOT of choices at that price range.

Any good recommendations in the 100-150 range for a pair of over ears that are comfortable, not tight around the head. I like Sony MDR-10RDC, I found them to be really comfortable but 200 is a bit pricy for me.

Creative Aurvana Live 2.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the price of these on amazon.com, looked under the resellers and found mp4nation listed. Buying it from them through amazon is somehow working out to be cheaper (20$). So i guess this would be an awesome buy.

A question though. I've never really owned very good quality headphones/earphones (always bought the cheapest ones available). I'm just wondering if upping my budget and buying something more expensive (but still relatively cheap) would be a good thing to do? Is there really a huge difference in sound quality between something that would cost 30$ and 100$ (stupid question i know)?

If i increase my budget to around 100$, can i get any good headphones with great sound and build quality? If yes, then i'd love some suggestions, my requirements once again:

- Great sound quality + build quality headphones (i'd rather not spend 100$ on earphones).
- Listen to normal stuff like podcasts, watch videos etc.
- Music i like = Rap and soft rock
- Maybe somewhat portable? I'd love to take these headphones while i'm outside

Sorry for the long post.

You're in Canada right? http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones/headphones/takstar-hi2050-hifi-monitor-headphones-1

...They ship worldwide.

Need more specifics, you have A LOT of choices at that price range.

Well, I'd like something that is built to last and comfortable because i listen to music a lot. I listen to mostly rock, punk, metal and indie but also hip hop, electronic and ambient so i guess it should have a good all around sound but i get really annoyed when headphones lack heavy bass.

Anything else that could help? Thanks in advance

HiResDes

Well, I'd like something that is built to last and comfortable because i listen to music a lot. I listen to mostly rock, punk, metal and indie but also hip hop, electronic and ambient so i guess it should have a good all around sound but i get really annoyed when headphones lack heavy bass.

Anything else that could help? Thanks in advance
RHA MA750 will fit those genres perfectly and they come with a 3 year warranty.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ELAM8LE/

HiResDes

Yep, Canada. Never heard of takstar... ? How's the build quality + comfort level of the HD5500?

Thanks once again for the suggestion.
Build quality seems to be good, but is a wildcard considering how new they are, but comfort is more assured for most head sizes

mr stroke

these came in today. not too shabby. interesting cord, hopefully it holds up. i am guessing they're not intended for any wear though, so i might get another cheaper pair for running/biking.

how do these sound? not a bad price for a cheap set of gaming earbuds w/mic.

edit: confused a post, should go to sleep

Thanks for the recommendation HiResDes, after looking at some reviews I think I will really like the RHAs and will buy them asap!

XBP

Build quality seems to be good, but is a wildcard considering how new they are, but comfort is more assured for most head sizes

Thanks, just placed an order for them on mp4nation. They have a 2 days free shipping offer on them so that was awesome. Hopefully the headphones will turn out great.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

HiResDes

These look really good. Are there any other ones you would recommend? Would love to compare and see which one to invest in.

Focal Spirit Professional

In other news, these are the headphones I now want, but they cost too much....BUT LOOK AT THEM:

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

...If you want a cheap recommendation, how about these

Aranath

I've been using a new pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s the last few days and was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with the plastic making creaking noises when you wear them.

It's driving me insane. I was watching some TV tonight with them and eating popcorn while I watched. The movement of my jaw obviously moved the ear cups and I kept getting this annoying creaking noise. It also happens if I tilt my head or move it around. It's not majorly loud, but it's obvious enough to be distracting. I'm not sure if it's the plastic itself creaking or just the earcups touching the frame of the headset. Either way, it's rather irritating.

Should I get them replaced? I'm kind of tempted to just send them back and get myself a pair of Philips Fidelio X1s instead.

My friend is gettin a pair of Pandora Hope VI in pretty soon so I'm gonna get a listen on Tuesday maybe. Soon in any case. They're dope ass lookin phones but I hear they're really heavy and kinda uncomfortable. Main reason why I wouldn't spring for a pair, I dunno, I'll have to see for myself

HiResDes

My friend is gettin a pair of Pandora Hope VI in pretty soon so I'm gonna get a listen on Tuesday maybe. Soon in any case. They're dope ass lookin phones but I hear they're really heavy and kinda uncomfortable. Main reason why I wouldn't spring for a pair, I dunno, I'll have to see for myself
Heard the same thing

HiResDes

I've been using a new pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s the last few days and was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with the plastic making creaking noises when you wear them.

It's driving me insane. I was watching some TV tonight with them and eating popcorn while I watched. The movement of my jaw obviously moved the ear cups and I kept getting this annoying creaking noise. It also happens if I tilt my head or move it around. It's not majorly loud, but it's obvious enough to be distracting. I'm not sure if it's the plastic itself creaking or just the earcups touching the frame of the headset. Either way, it's rather irritating.

Should I get them replaced? I'm kind of tempted to just send them back and get myself a pair of Philips Fidelio X1s instead.
Remember, X1s are open, though they definitely sound better than the M50

Gav47

Can someone with a pair of Philips Fidelio X1's tell me about the cable jack on the headphones themselves. I'm pretty interested in picking up a pair but I've read a couple of posts on head fi that suggest the jack may be very susceptible to damage.
This coupled with Philips only offering a one year warranty on their headphones has made me pretty sceptical about their build quality.

Jzero

Can someone with a pair of Philips Fidelio X1's tell me about the cable jack on the headphones themselves. I'm pretty interested in picking up a pair but I've read a couple of posts on head fi that suggest the jack may be very susceptible to damage.
This coupled with Philips only offering a one year warranty on their headphones has made me pretty sceptical about their build quality.

Most people change the cable.

Anyone here demo both Alpha Dogs and ZMF v1? I want to upgrade from my K550 but am unsure where to go.

I'd love to listen to the AKG K812, but am not willing to spend that much for headphones yet.

I listen to most everything, with a preference to alternative/acoustic/rock music. I also have AKG K501s (which I mostly listen to for classical) but want a closed back set for work.

Any other suggestions?

HiResDes

Anyone here demo both Alpha Dogs and ZMF v1? I want to upgrade from my K550 but am unsure where to go.

I'd love to listen to the AKG K812, but am not willing to spend that much for headphones yet.

I listen to most everything, with a preference to alternative/acoustic/rock music. I also have AKG K501s (which I mostly listen to for classical) but want a closed back set for work.

Any other suggestions?
Do some research on those Focal Spirit Pros

9QT4B5Y.jpg

I was actually talking about the jack on headphones failing but thanks for the heads up on the high impedance cable

I love mine. Great great audio quality and very comfortable to wear. Due to the use of aluminium it feels very solid and not plasticky.

It's not the jack that goes in the headphones that is prone to fail.
pSCMVJf.jpg

The big plug and adapter can easily cause leverage that breaks small sockets.

The cable looks nice but I've bought another one for ease of use. I didn't really hear much difference in audio quality though.

Do some research on those Focal Spirit Pros

Thanks for that! The Spirit Pros weren't even on my radar! I'm a little worried that they're too small for my ears though, I'll have to find somewhere I can test them out first.

Do you have any comments on the modded T50RPs, one way or the other?

Tommy DJ

Thanks for that! The Spirit Pros weren't even on my radar! I'm a little worried that they're too small for my ears though, I'll have to find somewhere I can test them out first.

Do you have any comments on the modded T50RPs, one way or the other?

Zach (of ZMF) claims his headphones are "ear tuned". This should automatically tell you to stay away. Most Fostex T50RP mods are like this and most aren't really that much, if at all, better than the stock Fostex T50RP with replacement earpads. If they say that they're merely ear-tuned, then just do it yourself. You can buy a cheap pair of T50RPs for ~$130, buy some hardware for ~$50 and do the mods yourself using the very good resource thread on Head-Fi as a reference. The OP has actually gone through dozens of different permutations and measured its impact on sound, which is how you should actually do headphone mods.

If you want to spend that much, the Focal Spirit Classics or Pros should be the default choice. Classics are less detailed but more forgiving of bad masters while the Pros are the opposite. Makes sense I guess considering one is a consumer headphone and the other is a professional studio headphone.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hey guys, anyone have any experience with the build quality of the Hifiman RE242?

I think I might go for the brainwavz R1 instead though. Can't decide between the two of them atm.

I'll be mainly using them for exercising, so I'm a bit worried about the quality of the re242 seeing that hifiman doesn't have the best reputation in that regard.

Also looking at the audiofly AF33, which is more appealing to me due to the price, but I'm still looking at options. Any suggestions for cheap canalphones with good build quality (good sound will be great too).

Chuckl3s

After a good five years, I'm shocked they lasted this long since the build quality is horrible, my Klipsch Image S4s took a dump. The left speaker went out and I don't plan on trying to fix it.

I loved my Klipsch Image S4. They have amazing sound. But I need GAFs help now. Since I'm in the market for a new pair. Should I buy the new gen or I was thinking of trying the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. I'm a huge music fan and I listen all across the board so I don't want anything that would take away from the music. I was really shock how good the S4s sound on how cheap they came.

Edit: I'll take any other recommendation besides these two.

manfestival

Is there any way to get the plush ear piece parts(with the same SQ) for the DT990 for cheaper than 30 dollars? I had stowed my headphones for some time and had no need for them but I wanted to get back to them but the plush was ruined by some moisture that seeped into its compartment :(

HiResDes

After a good five years, I'm shocked they lasted this long since the build quality is horrible, my Klipsch Image S4s took a dump. The left speaker went out and I don't plan on trying to fix it.

I loved my Klipsch Image S4. They have amazing sound. But I need GAFs help now. Since I'm in the market for a new pair. Should I buy the new gen or I was thinking of trying the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. I'm a huge music fan and I listen all across the board so I don't want anything that would take away from the music. I was really shock how good the S4s sound on how cheap they came.

Edit: I'll take any other recommendation besides these two.

You don't need to spend that much to get similar sound, Ultimate Ears 10 are fantastic, but I'd wait until they go on sale for sub $200...RHA MA750 are garnering comparisons to them at less than half the price.

Need a pair of earbuds (preferably in-ear) for working out with.

Was using my EarPods but would like to have a few more options, especially ones that can handle sweat. Range is $100 and less.

Thanks!

garath

Well I finally pulled the trigger. Have a pair of X1s coming today or tomorrow. So excited!

Downside is I need a mic now. I think I'll get the v-moda boompro but after spending $230, I don't feel like dropping another $30 right now lol.

Maybe I'll just use my old headset around the neck for a bit. Sounds awkward though.

Top Bottom