• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Busted on you huh? Lol. I will never buy a pair of HFmans for that very reason. My RE262s died on me in a week :l

Yeah, left ear of the RE300h is already cutting out if I don't hold the cord the right way. I'm glad I had the foresight to buy through Amazon Prime, so I could just return them if they died quickly. You broke my heart, Hifiman. You broke my heart.

Help me decide between the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the Ostry KC06. Edit: oh and how do the Pistons fit in here?

Tommy DJ

Anyway, I'm selling my vintage Technics receiver, and my schiit stack is finally sold. Now I'm looking for amp that can power both my headphones and passive pioneer speakers. I'm pretty set on the Audio GB NFB 11

Audio GB NFB 11 can't power passive speakers. The most it can do for speakers is serve as a pre-amp.

I had one that I wanted to use for my power amp. From the awful drivers required for their DAC and its not particularly good headphone out, I don't think I want to touch their products again when there's stuff out there that actually works.

What's the lifespan of a tube anyway? I've been able to lazily keep my solid state NuForce on 24/7 for the last 3 years. Now I have something else to care for. :(

Probably around 2 years. This is with guitar amps though and mine isn't bias hot or played crazy loud.

Yeah, left ear of the RE300h is already cutting out if I don't hold the cord the right way. I'm glad I had the foresight to buy through Amazon Prime, so I could just return them if they died quickly. You broke my heart, Hifiman. You broke my heart.

Help me decide between the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the Ostry KC06. Edit: oh and how do the Pistons fit in here?

KC06 hands down. Just be aware of the potentially wonky fit (I have to use large tips to get an adequate seal), and the cable which has a tendency to harden. There's also no cinch for the cable so you'll have to fashion one. I have no idea why so many phones have no cable cinch, seriously makes no sense.

HiResDes

Audio GB NFB 11 can't power passive speakers. The most it can do for speakers is serve as a pre-amp.

I had one that I wanted to use for my power amp. From the awful drivers required for their DAC and its not particularly good headphone out, I don't think I want to touch their products again when there's stuff out there that actually works.
Fuck, maybe I'll just grab an Asgard 2 instead and some cheap powered speakers.

Also KJ you go through an awful lot of headphones and earphones for me not to wonder if it's all due to their lousy build.

Tommy DJ

I think good powered speakers are definitely the way to go these days. Active designs with active crossovers are just inherently better than passive crossover designs could ever hope to be. Considering that $400 can get you a pair of very neutral sounding and resolving powered speakers in the second hand market, I don't see a lot of point buying expensive dedicated amplifiers and passive speakers anymore.

Of course Project Embers & Solaris are two great suggestions. There's also the Little Dot MKIII, Darkvoice 332, Bottlehead Crack OTL, and the Schiit Valhalla 2.

Ember... a hybrid amp that can power almost any headphone for $340 is pretty crazy. Pretty cool open design too. I'm surprised I have not heard much talk about these.

That's the weirdest most confused selection of headphones I've ever seen. Why the hell are the open, entirely neutral even in the discussion? The only reason you get the QC25 over any audiophile headphone is for the comfort and extreme noise cancelling. Also if you want bass just take the 598 out of the equation. There are however some better audiophile options like the V-Moda M100, ADL H118, Sony MDR-1RA, Soundmagic HP150, etc.

Anyway, I'm selling my vintage Technics receiver, and my schiit stack is finally sold. Now I'm looking for amp that can power both my headphones and passive pioneer speakers. I'm pretty set on the Audio GB NFB 11

I'm just gathering suggestions I read in the thread... if anything, everyone seems to hate on Beats which is why I'm returning it for a credit lol

But I am seeking good bass quality, so I'm now going to look into the options you mentioned tomorrow. Thanks!

Tablo

Zero Audio Tenores are really good, vocals and bass are great.
Very tiny, good cord, comfy. I think I found my new recommend to everyone (it's only 40$) IEM :D
Great for hip hop.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If you don't like IEMs breaking down on you might as well get the pistons. Cheap enough with sound comparable to earphones around $100.

MoonGred

alright guys. I think i'm gonna pick up a set of headphones soon. I already have custom IEMs so I don't think I need any closed headphones at this time...unless of course you guys recommend a really good one.
I've had the ad700 and 595 in the past. I listen to rap/r&b, rock, alternative, instrumentals (OSTs). I'll use the headphones for music/games and probably movies every now and then.

So, can you guys recommend a headphone that DOESN'T need an amp for roughly $250ish?

I think the philips fidelio x1 goes for that price. That said for 50$ more you can get the x2 which are superior in every way and have an amazing neutral sound. While there's a small increase in quality amped it's most definitely not needed.

Ban Puncher

I got a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 for Xmas. And I thought the P5's were good.

I'm starting to feel like I should do right by my headphones and buy a DAC for my PC instead of running them out of the speaker headphone jack like some kind of animal.

Fjordson

Noo, I have Re-400's. Love 'em so far, but definitely scared of them breaking. Heard a lot about shoddy build quality from Hifiman.

Tommy DJ

OH! Well...why the fuck are people at head-fi talking about rolling tubes bi-monthly? Are they just mentally ill?

Its tube rolling. They're not changing the tubes because they break. They're changing the tubes because some Head-Fier found a tube that's supposedly better than the old tube of the month. That's probably the main reason why a lot of Head-Fiers cycle through tubes so rapidly.

Serious though, tubes do actually change the sound the amplifier produces so there's a good reason for tube rolling. But yeah, those that change tubes constantly are same as those who constantly cycle through headphones or amplifiers based on popular opinion. Its something I'll never comprehend completely.

vertical

Neo Member
OH! Well...why the fuck are people at head-fi talking about rolling tubes bi-monthly? Are they just mentally ill?

I think some are motivated to "mod" their headphone equipment in the same way that others are to their PC case and internals. Probably get similar satisfaction from the ongoing process as well ;)

MoonGred

Do we need soundcards in our PC for higher-end cans?

I've wondered about this as well. I'm currently running my headphones through a DAC/amp and they sound so much better, but still have nu clue on whether I should invest in a soundcard. If the source is crap there's only so much you can improve, or am I wrong with thia train of thought?

Also just picked up my first pair of grados, the salesman kept trying to upsell me, I went in to get the sr60/80 (these were the only models they didn't have demo units for, so they made me try the sr125). I liked what I heard but then they started to push the sr225. While I agree that they do sound nice, they weren't what I set out to get.
Ended up walking out with the sr80.

I think some are motivated to "mod" their headphone equipment in the same way that others are to their PC case and internals. Probably get similar satisfaction from the ongoing process as well ;)

Its tube rolling. They're not changing the tubes because they break. They're changing the tubes because some Head-Fier found a tube that's supposedly better than the old tube of the month. That's probably the main reason why a lot of Head-Fiers cycle through tubes so rapidly.

Serious though, tubes do actually change the sound the amplifier produces so there's a good reason for tube rolling. But yeah, those that change tubes constantly are same as those who constantly cycle through headphones or amplifiers based on popular opinion. Its something I'll never comprehend completely.

got it. I'll just find the warmest tube I can and call it a day for a year or two. to that end if anyone has any recommendations, pass em to me.

HiResDes

I've wondered about this as well. I'm currently running my headphones through a DAC/amp and they sound so much better, but still have nu clue on whether I should invest in a soundcard. If the source is crap there's only so much you can improve, or am I wrong with thia train of thought?

Also just picked up my first pair of grados, the salesman kept trying to upsell me, I went in to get the sr60/80 (these were the only models they didn't have demo units for, so they made me try the sr125). I liked what I heard but then they started to push the sr225. While I agree that they do sound nice, they weren't what I set out to get.
Ended up walking out with the sr80.
No you guys the DAC completely bypasses any on board soundcard you have rendering them essentially useless. There's no need to get a soundcard if you already have a DAC decoding and converting the source.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
KC06 hands down. Just be aware of the potentially wonky fit (I have to use large tips to get an adequate seal), and the cable which has a tendency to harden. There's also no cinch for the cable so you'll have to fashion one. I have no idea why so many phones have no cable cinch, seriously makes no sense.

Yeah I'm reading that both of them are pretty sensitive to what tips you use. Exactly what tips did you use for the KC06?

Also KJ you go through an awful lot of headphones and earphones for me not to wonder if it's all due to their lousy build.

Don't do me like that bruv.

Outside of my Hifiman gear, the Tenore is the only pair that's ever gone bad on me. TMA-1 lasted like 3 years, Momentum still good, HP50 if fine, fotm Monoprice IEMs are still rocking.

But the RE-2, ZERO, HE-300, RE400, and now 300h have all fallen to shit. I know this is some "fool me once" shit, but I have loved their house sound so much that I keep coming back. Mistakes were made.

Zero Audio Tenores are really good, vocals and bass are great.
Very tiny, good cord, comfy. I think I found my new recommend to everyone (it's only 40$) IEM :D
Great for hip hop.

The cord is cheap.

I have to use a L sized tip. Just a generic Sony hybrid will do. The included tips are actually very good. They're extremely similar to the tips that DITA includes with their IEMs actually. My favorite tip at the moment is the Spinfit. Really brilliant little tip that's taken some of my phones to the next level. There seems to be a bend in my ear so I was never getting an optimal seal before and the SFs totally address that. They aren't available overseas just yet tho unfortunately

And you know what? I actually REALLY like the cord on the Tenore LOL. It really reminds me of the FIBASS cable. You think it's nuts that ZA went with a super cheap ass cable on their $50 IEM? Well that cable is nearly identical to the one that FAD uses on their $1000+ flagship LOL. The upside is that I've never had the cables on either the SS or Tenore tangle or kink on me, spaghetti noodle thin though they may be

ZA you mean? The duoza looks like it's probably the closest thing to hi end that they've done. The design is ugly as fuck tho. It kinda apes the CKR9/10 and the CKR9 fit like ass. Meanwhile I've had my Tenore for like 6 months and still going strong, but yeah those cables are like identical lol

CU9GGcW.jpg

HiResDes

Woah didn't know about those I was actually referring to HifiMan, as I think the HE-560 are the headphones I'd buy if money weren't an object.

Like something outta Dr Mario

Dual dynamic I believe. They're either gonna sound really good(dynamic, layered presentation), or really bad (super overly warm).

Haven't really heard of any issues with HFman's full sized stuff. It's just Fang's IEMs that need some serious QC. Although I think someone got an HE560 with fit and finish that's not like what was presented in the proto 560. I think there was talk of downgrades on the wood used? I don't recall, I didn't really follow the 560 talk.

Looking for a good pair of earbuds. Got my eye between 2 Sennheisers.

CX 5.00G
Momentum In-Ear

They both cost about 100. Which one is better for sound clarity?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I got my zero audio carbo tenore's today and the left earpiece doesn't work :/ from what I heard of the right earpiece sounded kind of harsh on some tracks. I really hope this whole thing is defective because I don't know if I want a replacement anymore and to just get a refund.

Hey headphone-GAF... The remote/mic cable that came with my Amperiors is dying. Can anyone recommend a replacement? Preferably with better build quality? Thanks!

Also I finally put my schiit stack up for sale if anybody is need a nice little setup I really have no complaints other than needing something with a pre-amp.

what are you getting to replace it?

Im thinking about getting a NAIM NAP 100 power amp to plug into my HA-1 and use it as a DAC/PRE Amp to give it a little more power. Im heading down next week to listen to it as one of the hifi shops has this available and can set it up for me. Am interested to see how the HA-1 will run with the poweramp and using these through the LCD3s and the HD800s...

Tommy DJ

I don't know what you seek to achieve with that. The Naim NAP100 is a power amp for loudspeakers. Its not going to do anything unless you're hooking headphones into the speaker posts, which can give very good results but its something you have to be careful doing so.

Aldebaran

I'm torn between the Fidelio X1 and Sennheiser HD598. I mainly listen to classical music and prog rock, so I think the 598 might be a little better. What do you guys think?

I don't know what you seek to achieve with that. The Naim NAP100 is a power amp for loudspeakers. Its not going to do anything unless you're hooking headphones into the speaker posts, which can give very good results but its something you have to be careful doing so.

I just want to see if it makes a difference in using the HA-1 as a pre amp/DAC and seeing how the sound changes and if it needs less to reach the volume i want.

My local decent hifi shop has both there so it doesnt hurt to go listen and see if there is a difference.

I got my zero audio carbo tenore's today and the left earpiece doesn't work :/ from what I heard of the right earpiece sounded kind of harsh on some tracks. I really hope this whole thing is defective because I don't know if I want a replacement anymore and to just get a refund.

Definitely defective. The Tenore isn't harsh at all

Tommy DJ

I just want to see if it makes a difference in using the HA-1 as a pre amp/DAC and seeing how the sound changes and if it needs less to reach the volume i want.

My local decent hifi shop has both there so it doesnt hurt to go listen and see if there is a difference.

I still don't understand what you want to achieve. Are you plugging your headphones into the BFA speaker holes in the Naim power amp? If you are, have you prepared to relevant hardware (e.g. resistors, wire to go into the BFA plugs) so the power amp actually powers your headphones and so that you don't blow your headphones to bits? If you're not, how do you figure that the power amp is going to transfer its power to the Oppo HA-1?

Sorry but I legitimately don't understand what you want to do. The only situation where the power amp does anything is if you plug your headphones straight into the BFA speaker holes.

HiResDes

I'm torn between the Fidelio X1 and Sennheiser HD598. I mainly listen to classical music and prog rock, so I think the 598 might be a little better. What do you guys think?
I think you should be considering the AKG Q701 and 598. Those will serve you better for those genres.

So I'm looking for a DAC (or amp/DAC combo) that will allow me to use my Fidelio X1s on my laptop, PS4, and Wii U. They already sound pretty good through my laptop, but using the DS4's or Wii U gamepad's headphone jack I'm definitely noticing a loss of quality.

I was leaning towards the FiiO E17 as it would allow me to connect my laptop through USB, PS4 through SPDIF, and Wii U through Analog Line-In (obviously bypassing the DAC of the E17, but it would still sound better than going through the Wii U gamepad). I'm open to other suggestions in that price range, though (no more than $150).

Top Bottom