• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Don't do this unless you know what you are doing....

Get the marantz hd1 dac and use it as a preamp for an easier solution to what you are looking to do.

Edit: actually, if you have the budget to get the naim preamp in addition to the oppo..... You might as well sell the oppo and get an awesome amp + better separate dac??

im not got getting a Naim Pre-AMP, it is a power amp.

By using Home Theatre Bypass (setting on the OPPO) - shouldnt i be able to plug in the Naim and use the OPPO purely as a DAC pre-amp for the unit?

"A special "Home Theater Bypass" mode can be assigned to any input source, making it very easy to integrate the HA-1 as a stereo pre-amplifier into any sound system. "

The other option is to sell the Oppo and get a RSA Darkstar and separate DAC but all up this will cost $5,000 USD.

Waikis

im not got getting a Naim Pre-AMP, it is a power amp.

By using Home Theatre Bypass (setting on the OPPO) - shouldnt i be able to plug in the Naim and use the OPPO purely as a DAC pre-amp for the unit?

"A special "Home Theater Bypass" mode can be assigned to any input source, making it very easy to integrate the HA-1 as a stereo pre-amplifier into any sound system. "

The other option is to sell the Oppo and get a RSA Darkstar and separate DAC but all up this will cost $5,000 USD.

Yeah I know that you want to use ha 1 as a preamp to power the naim, which is really easy to do. But the problem is, how are you going to connect the headphone to the power amp?

Since you are doing this to add a pre-amp to the chain, that's why I suggested to get the marantz dac to be used as a preamp, i.e. marantz>oppo>headphones.

If you are still hell bent on using the naim power amp to drive the headphones, you will need to use some resistors since the naim poweramp is designed for speaker's impedance (8ohms) - Hd800 has an impedance of 300ohms.

Maybe you were looking at the naim dac v1 that has the headphone output?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Based on what I have read here I am pretty intrugued about Fostex TH-600s. I have some questions for the pros, though:

1 - If my primary music players are iPhone, iPad and MacBook, and my content source is Spotify extreme quality, are headphones this good worth it? I could also try a lossless service like Tidal.

2 - Is it even possible to do audiophile bluetooth headphones or will the wireless transmission kill the sound quality? I prefer wireless for convenience.

I'll be travelling for 2 months so excellent headphones will provide a lot of joy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You probably want to get an amp for the TH900. Why that particular headphone though? Also it terminates in a 1/4" plug which means that you need an adaptor for iDevices and the laptop, though I'm not sure how it'll sound being driven from them.

Also there are some well regarded bluetooth headphones but if you want sound quality you can get the same or better SQ for cheaper with wired ones that aren't really that much less convenient. Then again I find having to charge batteries for my stuff to be really annoying.

Duxxy3

Almost as a rule, unless you are buying an IEM (because they are largely immune from this rule), you are going to need an amp more and more the more you spend on headphones.

Yeah I know that you want to use ha 1 as a preamp to power the naim, which is really easy to do. But the problem is, how are you going to connect the headphone to the power amp?

Since you are doing this to add a pre-amp to the chain, that's why I suggested to get the marantz dac to be used as a preamp, i.e. marantz>oppo>headphones.

If you are still hell bent on using the naim power amp to drive the headphones, you will need to use some resistors since the naim poweramp is designed for speaker's impedance (8ohms) - Hd800 has an impedance of 300ohms.

Maybe you were looking at the naim dac v1 that has the headphone output?
Maybe I'm confused : I can't plug my headphones to the oppo as I am now? If that can't be done then I will forget it, I didn't know that it was not possible?

HiResDes

I don't even know where to start with amps haha, any recomendations for a budget amp that will work well with them?

I don't really mind about the sound, I'm mainly going to be using them in my room.
See how you like them without an amp first and then if you want to see how they'll scale with a budget setup just come and ask for a recommendation.

So I downloaded the original firmware before they disabled volume control and with that it seems to be able to reach much louder volumes........weird. So I guess I either get the improved sound quality or more volume options?

Edit 2: Re-upgraded and now the volume is similar to before. Odd all around. maybe I got a bummer unit? Still not getting very warm. Don't think it's a warm up issue as I've been playing music for more than 20 minutes each time I've been testing it.

That doesn't sound right. Your GO should be getting very hot by the time 20 minutes have elapsed. And I mean hot to the touch Not just warm.

Waikis

Maybe I'm confused : I can't plug my headphones to the oppo as I am now? If that can't be done then I will forget it, I didn't know that it was not possible?

Hmm, are you saying that you want to use the ha1 as a preamp by sending a signal through the preamplifier output to the power amp and still use the headphone output of the oppo?

Hi there GAF! I've bought the Sony mdr-7506 which I use for almost everything, from music to games. They're connected to the computer with no amp. I know absolutely nothing about sound quality etc. and I was wondering whether I should do something to get the best out of them. For istance are all the players, like VLC say, the same or should I look for something in particular? Am I supposed to mess with the equalizer or not? I've found the presets to sound unnatural, even in conjuction with the appropriate music.

Hmm, are you saying that you want to use the ha1 as a preamp by sending a signal through the preamplifier output to the power amp and still use the headphone output of the oppo?
I guess from the sound of what you are saying it can't be done? There's he pre-outs on the back of the oppo. I want to plug the naim power amp in there. Using the balanced headphone out of the oppo.

Oh well if it can't it can't.. But i thought this was possible. I'm more a home theater guy so this is all new to me..

Chittagong

Gold Member
You probably want to get an amp for the TH900. Why that particular headphone though? Also it terminates in a 1/4" plug which means that you need an adaptor for iDevices and the laptop, though I'm not sure how it'll sound being driven from them.

Also there are some well regarded bluetooth headphones but if you want sound quality you can get the same or better SQ for cheaper with wired ones that aren't really that much less convenient. Then again I find having to charge batteries for my stuff to be really annoying.

Thanks for the reply! From the few reviews I looked at the TH600 seemed to get near universal praise, with main downside being the fixed, too long cable with the 1/4 plug. I like what people write about its bass, clarity, incredible detail, and how it sounds like a $1000 more expensive pair.

Totally open for suggestions though, thinking of spending maybe $1K, and don't mind getting a portable amp on top of that.

Duxxy3

Thanks for the reply! From the few reviews I looked at the TH900 seemed to get near universal praise, with main downside being the fixed, too long cable with the 1/4 plug. I like what people write about its bass, clarity, incredible detail, and how it sounds like a $1000 more expensive pair.

Totally open for suggestions though, thinking of spending maybe $1K, and don't mind getting a portable amp on top of that.

Do you have a history of what headphones you prefer? That can tell us a lot about what kind of sound signature you like.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Do you have a history of what headphones you prefer? That can tell us a lot about what kind of sound signature you like.

I have very little history with headphones, but I have Genelec 8040 monitors at home for music listening, I love their monitor like clarity, excellent sound stage, solid bass and the fact that they hold up at higher volumes without becoming jarring. I still remember the first time listening to them, I nearly teared up.

The only headphones I have history with that are not totally embarrassing that I've had were Sennheiser PXC 450s. I was really not very impressed with them. Their build quality is awful, I didn't really find the sound very impressive, certainly not compared to their price - which I realise now might be because I had no amp and fed them compressed music from my portable devices. I've also had Bose Silent Comforts (crap) and Nokia Purity Pros (decent).

The usage context will be two months of travel in Caribean and USA, relaxing with great music and films. And after I return I plan to use them in our office while working.

I'm not sure if that helps?

Duxxy3

What music do you listen to? Are you looking for an over ear closed headphone, or are you open to other suggestions? IEM's (in ear monitors) are more common with non-amped setups such as yours, but they're not for everyone.

HiResDes

Hi there GAF! I've bought the Sony mdr-7506 which I use for almost everything, from music to games. They're connected to the computer with no amp. I know absolutely nothing about sound quality etc. and I was wondering whether I should do something to get the best out of them. For istance are all the players, like VLC say, the same or should I look for something in particular? Am I supposed to mess with the equalizer or not? I've found the presets to sound unnatural, even in conjuction with the appropriate music.
Don't ever equalize that's how I feel about it and the only I would even consider with that particular set is taking down the treble a couple of notches. They don't really need amp, but a cheap USB DAC might benefit them a bit if you're soundcard ain't all that

Waikis

I guess from the sound of what you are saying it can't be done? There's he pre-outs on the back of the oppo. I want to plug the naim power amp in there. Using the balanced headphone out of the oppo.

Oh well if it can't it can't.. But i thought this was possible. I'm more a home theater guy so this is all new to me..

Well in a speaker setup, the chain would be preamp>amp>speaker. It wouldnt make sense to use the output of the preamp to directly power the speaker right?

Similarly, with the headphone setup, it wouldnt make sense to use the preamp(oppo) to power the headphone if you want to use it solely as a preamp. To take advantage of the naim, you want to set it up as: oppo(preamp output)> naim>use a connector from the naim to the headphone.

While the above can be done, it will involve significant diy tinkering to match the impedance of the naim amp to the headphone.

HiResDes

I don't think you'll really need to spend 1k for a really good setup. The higher you go up in the headphone world the more you will notice diminishing returns. I think $150 to $300 is the sweet spot to find excellent headphones with a good value that you'll still be impressed by. If you're gonna be using them for travel and at work I don't think you'll want a fairly entry level setup that's also portable. Something like the E17 should do the trick. Some good all arounders that I feel perfectly fine blindly recommending include the Focal Spirit Classic, NAD Viso hp50, KEF M500, Brainwavz Hm5/NVX XPT100, AKG K545, Yamaha MT220, Bowers and wilkins p7, and maybe the Sony MDR-1A.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What music do you listen to? Are you looking for an over ear closed headphone, or are you open to other suggestions? IEM's (in ear monitors) are more common with non-amped setups such as yours, but they're not for everyone.

Would be looking for over the ear closed, instead of in ear. I have had blocked ears so I really avoid sticking anything into them purposefully :)

I'm not afraid of getting a portable amp either, if that works with my iPad / iPhone / Mac.

My music taste is pretty diverse

Downtempo - XX / Thievery Corporation / Moderat / Nujabes
Mainstream rock & pop - U2 / Suzanne Vega / Dido / Sigur Ros
80s Synth - Vangelis / Jarre / Cusco
Movies

Tommy DJ

Don't ever equalize that's how I feel about it and the only I would even consider with that particular set is taking down the treble a couple of notches. They don't really need amp, but a cheap USB DAC might benefit them a bit if you're soundcard ain't all that

Yeah. Don't do anything with the Sony MDR-7506 / V6, its not worth the money or effort. They're not really designed for listening to music and nothing can really salvage them. Truth to be told, they're not really good outside of the purpose they were actually designed for (monitoring).

Waikis

I don't think you'll really need to spend 1k for a really good setup. The higher you go up in the headphone world the more you will notice diminishing returns. I think $150 to $300 is the sweet spot to find excellent headphones with a good value that you'll still be impressed by. If you're gonna be using them for travel and at work I don't think you'll want a fairly entry level setup that's also portable. Something like the E17 should do the trick. Some good all arounders that I feel perfectly fine blindly recommending include the Focal Spirit Classic, NAD Viso hp50, KEF M500, Brainwavz Hm5/NVX XPT100, Yamaha MT220, Bowers and wilkins p7, and maybe the Sony MDR-1A.

Seeing how he's using a genelec, I don't think he will be too impressed with the above selections...

Since Genelec is a monitor speaker with neutral sound, you might not like th900 sound signature. Sure it has the soundstage and bass, but I feel that it's more of a "fun" headphone than the usual analytical headphones such as HD800. But hey, if this is just for travelling, movies or games, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seeing how he's using a genelec, I don't think he will be too impressed with the above selections...

Since Genelec is a monitor speaker with neutral sound, you might not like th900 sound signature. Sure it has the soundstage and bass, but I feel that it's more of a "fun" headphone than the usual analytical headphones such as HD800. But hey, if this is just for travelling, movies or games, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

Yeah I am fine with a slightly more 'fun' sound, it doesn't need to be quite as clinical as Genelecs, it's for enjoyment purposes anyway. So something like a TH600 + Fiio E17? I need to look the ones HiResDes recommended up too.

HiResDes

I really think you'll like the Focal Spirit Classic, Nad Viso hp50, Yamaha MT220, and KEF M500 out of those. They're all fairly neutral with great soundstage and will sound good out of a budget setup like the FiiO E17.

Well in a speaker setup, the chain would be preamp>amp>speaker. It wouldnt make sense to use the output of the preamp to directly power the speaker right?

Similarly, with the headphone setup, it wouldnt make sense to use the preamp(oppo) to power the headphone if you want to use it solely as a preamp. To take advantage of the naim, you want to set it up as: oppo(preamp output)> naim>use a connector from the naim to the headphone.

While the above can be done, it will involve significant diy tinkering to match the impedance of the naim amp to the headphone.
Ok forget it then. I'm not knowledgeable enough to mess around with this. Hopefully the system opens up a bit after some more burn in. I'll make the call in a couple of weeks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I really think you'll like the Focal Spirit Classic, Nad Viso hp50, Yamaha MT220, and KEF M500 out of those. They're all fairly neutral with great soundstage and will sound good out of a budget setup like the FiiO E17.

Thanks! I'll read them up and see if I can try them somewhere!

Would be looking for over the ear closed, instead of in ear. I have had blocked ears so I really avoid sticking anything into them purposefully :)

I'm not afraid of getting a portable amp either, if that works with my iPad / iPhone / Mac.

My music taste is pretty diverse

Downtempo - XX / Thievery Corporation / Moderat / Nujabes
Mainstream rock & pop - U2 / Suzanne Vega / Dido / Sigur Ros
80s Synth - Vangelis / Jarre / Cusco
Movies

Wait till January and get the oppo pm-3 and ha-2 portable dac/amp. It's what I am getting as my portable setup to run off my colorfly. Very well priced units and I think it will suit what you are after.

Can only speak to the NAD 'phones but I like them very much. I've heard a lot of good things about the Fidelio X2s but they don't seem to get much love, not sure why.

HiResDes

Can only speak to the NAD 'phones but I like them very much. I've heard a lot of good things about the Fidelio X2s but they don't seem to get much love, not sure why.
Like my X1s, but they're really way to warm to be neutral. I also don't think they have the greatest detail retrieval.

So I guess I should be contacting LH Labs? Tried different USB ports on my computer with similar results.

Most def. I'm not sure how the 1000 fares at driving the 560, but I don't think it should struggle at all. The key element here is that you say it doesn't even really get warm, which... shouldn't be the case at all since the GO is a Class A amp in a tiny package, the thing should get very hot after awhile, not just merely warm.

Like my X1s, but they're really way to warm to be neutral. I also don't think they have the greatest detail retrieval.
Are the X2s supposed to have the same signature? I think I remember reading somewhere (inner fidelity?) that the X2s are more neutral than the X1s.

Most def. I'm not sure how the 1000 fares at driving the 560, but I don't think it should struggle at all. The key element here is that you say it doesn't even really get warm, which... shouldn't be the case at all since the GO is a Class A amp in a tiny package, the thing should get very hot after awhile, not just merely warm.
My GO 450 gets super-hot-- burn yourself hot-- so I'd say, if that GO1000 doesn't even get warm, then something is off with it.

Made a support ticket, because as I mentioned it's only ever gotten mildly warm and not hot. Oh well, hopefully they ship out a replacement quickly.

Speaking of comfort, still shocked at how good the HE-560s feel. It was an odd first impression as the headband and reduced weight almost made them look like a toy at first in comparison to the HE-400s but they feel so good!

HiResDes

Are the X2s supposed to have the same signature? I think I remember reading somewhere (inner fidelity?) that the X2s are more neutral than the X1s.

My GO 450 gets super-hot-- burn yourself hot-- so I'd say, if that GO1000 doesn't even get warm, then something is off with it.
They just have a tad less treble, probably due to the different pads, but tbh I don't hear the crazy treble spikes that Tyll hears out of the X1's whatsoever.

I've got a pair of beyerdynamic 770s in okay condition that are just sittin on my shelf now that I've upgraded to sennheiser 650s and maddogs. If anyone is looking for a pair of cheap headphones, I'd be willing to sell em cheaply to a gaffer

Not really sure if anyone is interested, they're just taking up space in my closet.

I did the beyerdynamic pad swap on my deteriorating sony mdr-v6. No more nasty bits of pleather residue coming off on my ears and they're also much more comfortable to wear for extended now thanks to the extra cushioning. I recommend it to anyone with mdr-v6 or mdr-7506.

Geoff9920

Speaking of comfort, still shocked at how good the HE-560s feel. It was an odd first impression as the headband and reduced weight almost made them look like a toy at first in comparison to the HE-400s but they feel so good!
I can see why they'd reduce the weight because my HE-500's have some serious heft to them. It's actually the only real criticism I have of them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've been going through all the amp links in the OP, reading the thread and doing googling, and it would seem that FiiO E17 is considered as the most worthwhile highly portable, battery powered amp to hook up with a, say, iPad. That sound right?

HiResDes

I've been going through all the amp links in the OP, reading the thread and doing googling, and it would seem that FiiO E17 is considered as the most worthwhile highly portable, battery powered amp to hook up with a, say, iPad. That sound right?
If you're down to spend a little more the JDS C5D has a bit better specs from a purely sound perspective.

If you're down to spend a little more the JDS C5D has a bit better specs from a purely sound perspective.
I'd also consider the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. I have both it and the E17 and I think I prefer the Leckerton. FYI, at least with my iPhone, the E17 triggers the too much power issue, even if you set it not to charge over USB. I don't know if this matters with the iPad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'd also consider the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. I have both it and the E17 and I think I prefer the Leckerton. FYI, at least with my iPhone, the E17 triggers the too much power issue, even if you set it not to charge over USB. I don't know if this matters with the iPad.

Thanks! JDS looks really compelling, really hard to find in the UK though. Will continue searching.

Ecto311

Looking for some decent earbuds and found the MDRXB50AP sony headphones. I can get them for $15 or should I go for the panasonics in the same range that are really popular? Trying to stay under $50 but looking for something better than the earpods I got with my iPhone.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Internet has a love/hate relationship with JDS. See head-fi and changstar for some opposing viewpoints on the brand.

Funny that, the website and marketing reminds me of Devialet and Analogue, both slickly marketed higher end consumer products which seem to evoke a lot of passionate opinions both ways.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
DT 770's that I ordered were put on backorder and won't be shipping for 2-3 weeks.

The wait is real.

Top Bottom