• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

So I'm looking for a DAC (or amp/DAC combo) that will allow me to use my Fidelio X1s on my laptop, PS4, and Wii U. They already sound pretty good through my laptop, but using the DS4's or Wii U gamepad's headphone jack I'm definitely noticing a loss of quality.

I was leaning towards the FiiO E17 as it would allow me to connect my laptop through USB, PS4 through SPDIF, and Wii U through Analog Line-In (obviously bypassing the DAC of the E17, but it would still sound better than going through the Wii U gamepad). I'm open to other suggestions in that price range, though (no more than $150).
Upgrade your soundcard and grab the Mixamp.

dralla

So I'm looking for a DAC (or amp/DAC combo) that will allow me to use my Fidelio X1s on my laptop, PS4, and Wii U. They already sound pretty good through my laptop, but using the DS4's or Wii U gamepad's headphone jack I'm definitely noticing a loss of quality.

I was leaning towards the FiiO E17 as it would allow me to connect my laptop through USB, PS4 through SPDIF, and Wii U through Analog Line-In (obviously bypassing the DAC of the E17, but it would still sound better than going through the Wii U gamepad). I'm open to other suggestions in that price range, though (no more than $150).
I just got the FiiO E17 a couple of days ago and I also have a pair of X1's. I got it mainly because my laptop's audio output is bad. So far it's been great. I have it connected to my laptop through USB. I haven't had to use gain at all since the X1's are pretty easy to drive. I bumped the treble just one notch and left the bass as is. I connect the E17 to my PS4 through optical and it sounded pretty good there as well. I usually use a a 5.1 system so I'm not a huge headphone guy to play games. But what I did try was hooking up the E17 to my receiver which would essentially turn the E17 into an amp for my receiver; PS4-> receiver ->E17 (via Auxiliary)->X1's. I could blow my ears out with this set up. I am going to be moving soon so I won't be able to use my home theater as much, this might be my new set up for games. I might throw in an Astro mixamp for surround mix. There's no optical output on the Wii U so I didn't get to try the E17 with it.

I would say the E17 sounds just as good as my Dennon receiver, it may sound a little bit better, but I'd need to spend more time with it. I got mine for $99 off eBay. You might want to check around if you're in no rush

Upgrade your soundcard and grab the Mixamp.

Don't think you can upgrade a soundcard and get the Mixamp for $150, it would have to be one or the other.

Pterion

I have received my new HifiMan HE-400i + Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 and so far I still prefer my ATH-M50s with CMOY portable amp. Hoping it is due to the lack of burn-in. Even keeping the same set-up and switching only the headphones, the M50s have a greater bass and just sound better. Oh well...

Hi HeadphoneGAF, I'm not very knowledgeable(at all) about Headphones and I've been using a pretty crappy Headset for years for games and watching shows, so I've decided to buy something that's actually good now that I have a job and some disposable income.

This would be mostly used for PC/Console gaming and for anime(I'm connecting whatever I get directly to my monitor) and also for my 3DS/Vita.

So after a recent GAF thread and doing some small research, it seems like I'm interested in the "Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones" and "FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier", which would be around 200 bucks. Any idea if I should get something cheaper or is this fine for what I plan on using it? One of the most important factors is that I want the Headphones to be comfortable, I can buy anything that is sold through amazon(I'm in Mexico). Thanks in advance.

Duxxy3

Hi HeadphoneGAF, I'm not very knowledgeable(at all) about Headphones and I've been using a pretty crappy Headset for years for games and watching shows, so I've decided to buy something that's actually good now that I have a job and some disposable income.

This would be mostly used for PC/Console gaming and for anime(I'm connecting whatever I get directly to my monitor) and also for my 3DS/Vita.

So after a recent GAF thread and doing some small research, it seems like I'm interested in the "Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones" and "FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier", which would be around 200 bucks. Any idea if I should get something cheaper or is this fine for what I plan on using it? One of the most important factors is that I want the Headphones to be comfortable, I can buy anything that is sold through amazon(I'm in Mexico). Thanks in advance.

Not for music at all? If it's not at all for music then you can definitely get something cheaper.

I hear music, but 90% of the time it's going to be for games and anime.

If you want something comfortable and more affordable, I'd recommend the AKG K240. Very comfortable and under $100. They are also semi-open, so some sound would leak out (The HD598 is a fully open headphone, so it would leak more sound out). You can try pairing them with the Fiio E07K DAC/Headphone Amp. It would end up being under $170 before tax and shipping. The HD598 alone would be $159 from Amazon.

If you want comfy headphones that don't require an amp (thus saving you $$$), try the Superlux HD 681 or HD 681 EVO. Only $31.95/#30.03 on Amazon at the moment, great value to be had. Again, these are semi-open.

If you want Budget closed headphones try the Monoprice 8323, or if you want to spend slightly more money (but still under $100)there's the Denon AH-D1100 or the Shure SRH840. They'd probably do better with the Fiio E07K than plugging them directly into your monitor.

You can get more ideas here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

598s are ridiculously comfy...

I think the Audio Technica AD900x are even comfier. The Wing Support system (as opposed to a traditional headphone band) keeps them secure on your head but you don't even feel like you're wearing anything; also perfect for those who wear glasses. I've read some reviews where people think the HD598 is comfier, because the AD900x's Wing Support felt weird on their heads. The bass is comparable to the HD598, and I think the AD900x's sound stage is wider. I use mine mainly for gaming (music is secondary for these) all the time, and find them great.

HiResDes

I have received my new HifiMan HE-400i + Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 and so far I still prefer my ATH-M50s with CMOY portable amp. Hoping it is due to the lack of burn-in. Even keeping the same set-up and switching only the headphones, the M50s have a greater bass and just sound better. Oh well...
Bass just sounds different out of open headphones, you might just prefer the closed more intimate sound of the M50.

For gaming the Samson SR850 are still a great budget pick.

Duxxy3

I hear music, but 90% of the time it's going to be for games and anime.

Just for gaming and movies I would say go Superlux HD668B (less sibilant than the HD681). Get the fiio amp to help out the output of your handhelds.

The samson 850 is another good pick. I just don't think it's worth spending $160 on headphones if the primary use is not music.

HiResDes

I mostly agree. The new Superlux 681 Evo is supposed to be less sibilant, but I haven't had a chance to try. Don't break the bank for gaming. NVX XPT100's with a Modmic is as premium as I'd venture.

Servbot24

Banned
Finally got my Sennheiser Momentum earbuds in the mail. They were on backorder for over a month due to being 33% off. First impression is very nice. Previously the best earbuds I had were Nuforce 700X and although that was over a year ago my first impression is that the Momentums are a slight improvement (probably not worth full price seeing as 700X are ~$70 and Momentums are $100).

To be honest my main draw to these was the 2 year warranty. You know damn well these are gonna bust in a few months. Not because the build quality is poor (they feel great), but simply because they're earbuds.

Now to decide wether to get a portable amp. I think I may just save my money for home audio since that's more important. Plus I'm not sure of anything that has a good form for iPhone 6.

Duxxy3

Yeah the EVO's don't have the sibilance, but they also have less detail. It's made up of a lot of plastic that makes it feel cheap. It's honestly not bad, but it doesn't feel as well built as the other 240 imitators.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Open headphones aren't for everyone.

Pterion

Open headphones aren't for everyone.
Still hoping for burn-in as a savior, but not so confident anymore. I had open headphones before (grado SR-80) and I enjoyed them a bit but upgraded to ATH-M50s and was amazed by those cans. If the sound doesn't improve significantly to my liking over the next few weeks, I will sell these cans and stick to closed headphones. Live and learn, I guess. Still somewhat thankful I didn't go for the HE-560 or more costly hps.

Still hoping for burn-in as a savior, but not so confident anymore. I had open headphones before (grado SR-80) and I enjoyed them a bit but upgraded to ATH-M50s and was amazed by those cans. If the sound doesn't improve significantly to my liking over the next few weeks, I will sell these cans and stick to closed headphones. Live and learn, I guess. Still somewhat thankful I didn't go for the HE-560 or more costly hps.
I assume the issue is lack of bottom-end punch? If that's what you need more of, I can definitely make some satisfying recommendations.

Pterion

I assume the issue is lack of bottom-end punch? If that's what you need more of, I can definitely make some satisfying recommendations.
I would say so. Bass isn't as satisfying with the new cans, and no amount of improved vocals/trebles can compensate for that IMO. It feels a tad too airy and light.

I would say so. Bass isn't as satisfying with the new cans, and no amount of improved vocals/trebles can compensate for that IMO. It feels a tad too airy and light.

Yea I definitely know that feel. I can't do headphones without something that has a tight but punchy bass response and a rumble when I'm watching movies with explosions. @ ~$500, my personal stash recommendations would be:

- Alpha Dogs or Mad Dogs Pro
https://mrspeakers.com/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-headphones/
https://mrspeakers.com/product/mad-dog-pro/

- Sennheiser HD 600 or 650
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

- Phillips Fidelio X1 or X2
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

- Denon D5000 (discontinued, but can still be found)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

- Foxtex TH600 (spiritual successor of the Denon D2000/5000/7000 line)
http://www.cnet.com/news/take-it-to-the-limit-fostex-th600-headphones/

Some are more or less expensive than others, but I have or have had all of them and good, balanced, soul-moving bass is something that none of the above lack. Some are open, some are closed back.

Of all of those, the strongest bass is going to come from the Denon/Fostex, but the rest are most certainly not far behind.

I'm sure others will have recommendations around $500...but these are mine. FWIW, I listen to Jazz, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, House and Electronic 90% of the time. These cans are well suited for the task.

edit: the V-Moda Crossfades may also meet your needs. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A39PPCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't tried them but I hear they're pretty damn good.

HiResDes

The weird thing is that to my ears the M50 doesn't really have all that much impact either...It's this large mid-bass rumble, but there's no sub-bass texture there whatsoever. And it's not as if the HE-400 is this bass-shy open headphone. There's definitely more bass there than with most open headphones. It sounds like you're a true basshead, which is nothing to be ashamed of, but definitely something to be aware of when selecting headphones. Open headphones are usually lighter and airier by nature, that's one of the advantages they usually sport over closed ones. I think I even touch on that in the OP.

I wouldn't recommend the X1 if you don't like the way the 400 presents bass. Definitely not the HD600, and probably not the 650 either. They all present bass in a very similar fashion to the HE-400. The Mad Dogs are probably even too balanced for him. I'd recommend sticking with the closed headphones. The sub-bass on the HE-400 is actually superior to HD600, HD650, X1, and X2.

The weird thing is that to my ears the M50 doesn't really have all that much impact either...It's this large mid-bass rumble, but there's no sub-bass texture there whatsoever. And it's not as if the HE-400 is this bass-shy open headphone. There's definitely more bass there than with most open headphones. It sounds like you're a true basshead, which is nothing to be ashamed of, but definitely something to be aware of when selecting headphones. Open headphones are usually lighter and airier by nature, that's one of the advantages they usually sport over closed ones. I think I even touch on that in the OP.

I wouldn't recommend the X1 if you don't like the way the 400 presents bass. Definitely not the HD600, and probably not the 650 either. They all present bass in a very similar fashion to the HE-400. The Mad Dogs are probably even too balanced for him.

Damn. I just assumed they were bass-shy cans.

Sounds like the Fostex TH600/Denon D5000 are what he should be after, then. He'll certainly not be starving for bass with those. That's for damn sure.

Bloodember

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I'd like open back and over ear design, with a neutral sound. I have the Shure SRH550DJ's right now, which are closed back.

I'm looking at the AKG Q701, K701/702, and Shure SRH1440. I'm a little hesitant on the Shure's because they are all plastic, and my 550 are cracked on the slide out part of the band.

They'll be use mostly for rock, pop, and some country, plus a little gaming on the pc, the 550's will most likely stay for the games though.

I'd like to stay at or under $300, but will pay more if a great recommendation is given.

Thanks.

HiResDes

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I'd like open back and over ear design, with a neutral sound. I have the Shure SRH550DJ's right now, which are closed back.

I'm looking at the AKG Q701, K701/702, and Shure SRH1440. I'm a little hesitant on the Shure's because they are all plastic, and my 550 are cracked on the slide out part of the band.

They'll be use mostly for rock, pop, and some country, plus a little gaming on the pc, the 550's will most likely stay for the games though.

I'd like to stay at or under $300, but will pay more if a great recommendation is given.

Thanks.
I'd consider between the DT880s, Q701, and Sony MDRMA900

My wife always loses her earphones (I bought her a couple decent pairs as gifts) so this year I decided to just buy her a cheap pair that got good reviews and if she loses them no big deal. I got Panasonic RPHJE120K's for $7. I am listening to them now and shit on me if they don't actually sound pretty good. I have listened to $50-$75 'phones that sound worse. The whole price/quality ratio with headphones is crazy - such a huge range.

Don't get me wrong they aren't going to blow anyone away and the built quality is pretty poor. But seven freaking dollars and I can actually enjoy listening to music through them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I've got about $250 to use at Best Buy (gift cards) and want some over ear closed headphones for work. What should I get? Sennheiser HD598's?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

If you want good bass, buy the HE-400. The 400i they thinned out for some reason, and I've seen that complaint before, in others reviews.

Welp, I bought some cheaper Sony MDRs a few years ago and it was like heaven listening to music. They unfortunately got destroyed really quickly, and I never bought anything new. I'm at a point I'm ready to try some new headphones again, and have landed on the Sennheiser 598s. At this point I just need to figure out what starter combos (Amp+DAC) to get. Anyone buy 598s recently, and if so, what amp+DAC did you buy with it?

Servbot24

Banned
Is the Senn 650 a safe choice for someone who listens to lots of genres? Techno, jazz, metal, hip hop, classical, rock, etc. Genres between techno and avant grade classical would be getting the most play. I'd be open to something else too, I'm just looking to upgrade from 555s. Not immediately, but maybe with my tax return. I want to get something that I can plan further audio equipment around for the future

Is the Senn 650 a safe choice for someone who listens to lots of genres? Techno, jazz, metal, hip hop, classical, rock, etc. Genres between techno and avant grade classical would be getting the most play. I'd be open to something else too, I'm just looking to upgrade from 555s. Not immediately, but maybe with my tax return. I want to get something that I can plan further audio equipment around for the future

The HD650 has great mids that would go well with most genres. They are less neutral than say, the AKG K701, and have a warmer sound signature (some describe them as "dark," but I think it depends on your setup) that makes them more fun to use.

Here's a review regarding classical music: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-650-headphones/reviews/10553

If you want good bass, buy the HE-400. The 400i they thinned out for some reason, and I've seen that complaint before, in others reviews.
The HE-400s are really uncomfortable though, more than an hour of listening usually has me throwing them off. Might just have sensitive ears but it's something that would put me off from recommending them.

Checked my tracking and apparently my He-560s came in tonight. Really excited to try them, the comments about their comfort alone could be a game changer.

Echoplx

How are the Yamaha MT220s for general usage? Mainly gaming and music of various genres. Basically looking for a good all rounder.

I've never owned good headphones before so not really sure what to look for, most of them are really overpriced here in Australia but I can get the MT220s for $130 delivered right now.

MoonGred

The HE-400s are really uncomfortable though, more than an hour of listening usually has me throwing them off. Might just have sensitive ears but it's something that would put me off from recommending them.

Checked my tracking and apparently my He-560s came in tonight. Really excited to try them, the comments about their comfort alone could be a game changer.

Are they really that bad? I've been eyeing both the 400 and 560,but no store nearby stocks them making it really hard to try before I buy

HiResDes

Thanks for the reply, what about the dt990's as they're open back, and the dt880's are semi open? Also the Sony's are discontinued.
They're both completely open, but I think the balance of the DT880s will be superior for those genres you like.

How are the Yamaha MT220s for general usage? Mainly gaming and music of various genres. Basically looking for a good all rounder.

I've never owned good headphones before so not really sure what to look for, most of them are really overpriced here in Australia but I can get the MT220s for $130 delivered right now.
Fantastic all arounder, but definitely benefits from a little amping. I'd still say jump on them. They are basically semi open though so be prepared for a little sound leakage.

What's with everyone suddenly mistaking the 598 to be a closed headphone? Also the general hype because of the off topic thread amuses me. I mean they're a fantastically balanced and comfortable headphone, but I think the average user would find them to be quite boring sounding. Just a little sparkle in the treble, bass that's just middling in every fashion, and a very smooth and full yet polite sounding midrange.

Echoplx

Fantastic all arounder, but definitely benefits from a little amping. I'd still say jump on them. They are basically semi open though so be prepared for a little sound leakage..

I don't even know where to start with amps haha, any recomendations for a budget amp that will work well with them?

I don't really mind about the sound, I'm mainly going to be using them in my room.

MoonGred

What's with everyone suddenly mistaking the 598 to be a closed headphone? Also the general hype because of the off topic thread amuses me. I mean they're a fantastically balanced and comfortable headphone, but I think the average user would find them to be quite boring sounding. Just a little sparkle in the treble, bass that's just middling in every fashion, and a very smooth and full yet polite sounding midrange.

My guess is everyone jumped in on the amazon sale, read the reviews saying they were a really nice pair of headphones but didn't read up about open vs closed phones. Ah well we all have to start somewhere. The less people using awful buds the better.
I still remember going from shitty buds to Vsonic Gr07. My mind was blown

Are they really that bad? I've been eyeing both the 400 and 560,but no store nearby stocks them making it really hard to try before I buy
I don't know, they were fine at first but I've had them more than a year now and I can't remember when they weren't uncomfortable. Never feels like there's a perfect placement for the pads and it's always too loose or too tight. There's tons of adjustment, so maybe I've just gone OCD but they can be a drag at times.

Edit: The 560 box is really fancy, nice contrast to the cheap ass 20 dollar doll case that the 400s came in.

Edit 2: Oh god they're so comfy. I might cry.

Hmm, any tips for loudness in regards to the Geek Out 1000? Went ahead and grabbed a Geek instead of the Schitt combo due to another purchase I made and while it's very listenable it seems a bit more quiet than it should going by impressions. While I do have poor hearing I noticed on other forums people have said they keep it at -13 DB at max while for me that's far too quiet. Is it possible my USB port is messed up and not supplying enough power? I did notice that it's not getting very hot while reviews mentioned that it can get scorching.

Sounds really different compared to the HE-400s, will certainly be fun to compare more.

MoonGred

Hmm, any tips for loudness in regards to the Geek Out 1000? Went ahead and grabbed a Geek instead of the Schitt combo due to another purchase I made and while it's very listenable it seems a bit more quiet than it should going by impressions. While I do have poor hearing I noticed on other forums people have said they keep it at -13 DB at max while for me that's far too quiet. Is it possible my USB port is messed up and not supplying enough power? I did notice that it's not getting very hot while reviews mentioned that it can get scorching.

Sounds really different compared to the HE-400s, will certainly be fun to compare more.

This may sound silly, but have you checked your windows volume control?

This may sound silly, but have you checked your windows volume control?
All the way up

Edit: The latest firmware update disabled volume control with the volume buttons, instead replacing them with different modes so maybe it's a firmware issue? No other impressions with the 560 seem to have similar issues.

Waikis

I just want to see if it makes a difference in using the HA-1 as a pre amp/DAC and seeing how the sound changes and if it needs less to reach the volume i want.

My local decent hifi shop has both there so it doesnt hurt to go listen and see if there is a difference.

Don't do this unless you know what you are doing....

Get the marantz hd1 dac and use it as a preamp for an easier solution to what you are looking to do.

Edit: actually, if you have the budget to get the naim preamp in addition to the oppo..... You might as well sell the oppo and get an awesome amp + better separate dac??

So I downloaded the original firmware before they disabled volume control and with that it seems to be able to reach much louder volumes........weird. So I guess I either get the improved sound quality or more volume options?

Edit 2: Re-upgraded and now the volume is similar to before. Odd all around. maybe I got a bummer unit? Still not getting very warm. Don't think it's a warm up issue as I've been playing music for more than 20 minutes each time I've been testing it.

Top Bottom