• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

terrible

Banned
I tried those HD598s in this exact sale, was not impressed at all honestly. FLAC and 320 kbps music from my PC sounded muddy, bass was hollow and airy, they leaked sound like it was a speaker, and like I saw some people say, they just sound "boring" like nothing stands out about them other than the appearance.

Muddy? g'damn lol. maybe you should save up for a pair of flagships or something, your standards might be higher than your budget.

HiResDes

Muddy? g'damn lol. maybe you should save up for a pair of flagships or something, your standards might be higher than your budget.
They definitely are, and they were discontinued because they didn't sell well. There isn't an improved version. And I should have said interference rather than distortion, it's mostly a non factor, but if you have grounding issues or a lack of shielding a headphone with lower impedance is more susceptible to it I believe. It's not a knock on the Sony MDR ma900. The AKG Q701 are more detailed, but the sheer sense of space and balance are great on the Sony. The AKG K612 Pro might also be worthy of consideration if you can find them around the same price. Similar to the AKG Q701, but better comfort and slightly more warmth.

How much do you want to spend?

How much CAN you spend? ;)

I'm looking for a better experience than HD 600 and O2/ODAC.

I'm looking for great listening and value. Im getting a new HD 650 for $265.

I heard of the Magni 2/Modi 2, Valhalla 2, Bottlehead Crack. Also heard of Aune T1 MK2(Recommended by HiResDes). Are there better alternatives? There are so many choices!

Also, getting an Asus Xonar Essence for my desktop is also an option.

HiResDes

If you can afford the Valhalla or Bottlehead of course go with that and pair it with either the Modi or a soundcard. But on a tight budget the Aune T1 MK2 or Modi/Vali combo are good choices as well. There's also the Bravo Audio Ocean, which is cheap and powerful and you could pair that with the Modi for another cheap combo.

If you can afford the Valhalla or Bottlehead of course go with that and pair it with either the Modi or a soundcard. But on a tight budget the Aune T1 MK2 or Modi/Vali combo are good choices as well.

I got to know, what are the differences between your budget suggestions and Valhalla(2?)/ Bottle head Crack?

I got a very high end desktop and I want to enjoy it!

HiResDes

I got to know, what are the differences between your budget suggestions and Valhalla(2?)/ Bottle head Crack?

I got a very high end desktop and I want to enjoy it!
I don't have them to AB man. In my honest opinion though you're not gonna be able to discern much of a difference between the budget tube sets and the higher end ones. The Modi and Bravo Ocean combo should prove to be especially formidable.

chaosaeon

The AKG K612 Pro might also be worthy of consideration if you can find them around the same price. Similar to the AKG Q701, but better comfort and slightly more warmth.

What are the main differences soundwise between the MDR and the K612 ? They do seem to be similar in price. Does one do lows/mids/highs/details better, or is more comfortable than the other etc. I imagine the soundstage would be better on the MDR, but I don't know how their sound signature compares.
And do you guys find it easier/more trustworthy to buy from random amazon sellers or ebay sellers ?

I might hold up and wait for a good deal on the Bottlehead Crack. For now I'll just depend on my Desktop with no external cards.

$280 for a Bottlehead Crack? I heard there was a deal a few months ago to get the Speedball add-on for $20 more!

Also, I hope the DIY part is very easy, like learning the ABCs.

HiResDes

What are the main differences soundwise between the MDR and the K612 ?
And do you guys find it easier/more trustworthy to buy from random amazon sellers or ebay sellers ?
The Sonys are much easier to drive and sound better out of larger variety of sources. The sense of space is slightly larger on the Sony and I think they're one of the top five most comfortable headphones you can buy because they're so light. The AKG have the edge in clarity and sport slightly more treble extension. The mids and bass are similar, like you'd have to AB, but their presentation of the mids is different because the the AKG is more intimate sounding. I'd say when amped properly the AKG K612 have the edge because they scale wonderfully and unamped the Sony sound better.

Whatever is cheaper between Amazon and Ebay sellers. I literally can't think of any more open sets within your price range.

The NAD VISO HP50 though closed has such a spacious soundstage and pretty much no weaknesses balance wise that maybe consider that.

chaosaeon

The Sonys are much easier to drive and sound better out of larger variety of sources. The sense of space is slightly larger on the Sony and I think they're one of the top five most comfortable headphones you can buy because they're so light. The AKG have the edge in clarity and sport slightly more treble extension. The mids and bass are similar, like you'd have to AB, but their presentation of the mids is different because the the AKG is more intimate sounding. I'd say when amped properly the AKG K612 have the edge because they scale wonderfully and unamped the Sony sound better.

Whatever is cheaper between Amazon and Ebay sellers. I literally can't think of any more open sets within your price range.

The NAD VISO HP50 though closed has such a spacious soundstage and pretty much no weaknesses balance wise that maybe consider that.

So I'm more likely to get a better result with the Sony since I don't currently have an amp and my PC alone probably wouldn't be sufficient for the K612s yeah ? Since it's for dual purpose as well (gaming and music/movies) the Sony soundstage might be better fitted for me too for larger/more accurate positioning. But it sounds like theyre a close competition for each other.

bobohoro

I'm still hoping for the NAD to someday get a complete design overhaul as to not look so stupid. Everything else about them just seems so perfect.

I'm still hoping for the NAD to someday get a complete design overhaul as to not look so stupid. Everything else about them just seems so perfect.
I really don't mind the look but I wear them at home. I think how it looks has as much to do with your head-size and shape as the headphones. I think some head types look fine with them, others might look a bit goofy.

Fox1304

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Fidelio X2 ( they had a small discount on amazon.it and I am terribly weak ). Hope they'll be more "fun" and less "clinical" than my AKG k551. If the Fidelio M1 is anything to count by, they must be !

chaosaeon

So the amazon link where I could buy the Sony's I was looking at is a newly listed seller with no feedback yet. Is it a gamble to buy from someone like that on Amazon ? I know ebay has you covered in so far as Paypal can help you out if you run into trouble, but what about Amazon ?

HiResDes

So the amazon link where I could buy the Sony's I was looking at is a newly listed seller with no feedback yet. Is it a gamble to buy from someone like that on Amazon ? I know ebay has you covered in so far as Paypal can help you out if you run into trouble, but what about Amazon ?
Shrugs, not omniscient man, seems like a risk.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Hi y'all. I'm in dire need of a recommendation for a super lightweight, super comfy open headphones. You see, I have weird ears, all the headphones (and headsets) I try become uncomfortable after a few minutes. I got the HD 598 some days ago because everyone says it's ridiculously comfy, but on my head, they are not, at all. Even wearing them for 10 minutes makes my ears' muscles hurt like hell.

Right now the only headphones I can wear for relatively long periods are the HD 201, they're not good, but they're easy on my ears. So I need something better, price range $50-$250 (Amazon). Thanks.

nbnt

Maybe a combination of both. I don't feel like it's clamping too tight, and the pads do fit but I feel like my ears are cramped in there, and once I put them down and stretch my face (opening my mouth wide, smiling etc) my outer ears hurt me like hell.

Hi y'all. I'm in dire need of a recommendation for a super lightweight, super comfy open headphones. You see, I have weird ears, all the headphones (and headsets) I try become uncomfortable after a few minutes. I got the HD 598 some days ago because everyone says it's ridiculously comfy, but on my head, they are not, at all. Even wearing them for 10 minutes makes my ears' muscles hurt like hell.

Right now the only headphones I can wear for relatively long periods are the HD 201, they're not good, but they're easy on my ears. So I need something better, price range $50-$250 (Amazon). Thanks.

Audio Technica AD900x. I can wear mine for hours while gaming and not be bothered by them.

HiResDes

Sony MDR Ma900, they sound most similar to the 598, though IMO are better in a few ways.
They are also the lightest headphone in the range.

nbnt

Audio Technica AD900x. I can wear mine for hours while gaming and not be bothered by them.
Sony MDR Ma900, they sound most similar to the 598, though IMO are better in a few ways.
They are also the lightest headphone in the range.
Thanks guys. The AD900x aren't currently in stock on Amazon. I've decided to go with the MA900, seems like they're really comfortable from the impressions I read.

Thanks again.

Servbot24

Banned
Ok, finally got my Schiit stack set up!

Previously was using HE-400i with an Apogee One. It sounded very clear overall but felt a little weak and thin for some artists. The improvement with the Schiit stack is immediately apparent. I feel like the sounds are caressing my ears - it's sensational and well worth it :)

I reckon this will be my set up for a few years.

Tabasco

So I had an interesting discovery.

I found an old LifeChat LX-3000 headset lying around, and I decided to test it out just to see if it was any good.

To my surprise, it actually did not sound that bad, and I can even go as far as to say that it sounds very close to my HD 555s.

The only edge I can give to the HD 555s is that they have more boom to the sound and that they're open back headphones. I use these with an amp/DAC too.

Is the HD 555 just not that great if it can be compared to a $40 headset? Am I crazy to think this?

Helmholtz

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice and hoping someone has some recommendations.
I've been using meelec m9's as iems for several years (based on advice I got in this thread a while back), and like them a lot. My current pair are kind of deteriorating now though and I'm looking to replace. I might just get the same ones, but are there any others that are comparable/better in the budget ($10-$40) range?
I heard good things about Soundmagic E30 which I can get for around 40-50. But I'm not sure if there are any other obvious choices I should be looking at?

HiResDes

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice and hoping someone has some recommendations.
I've been using meelec m9's as iems for several years (based on advice I got in this thread a while back), and like them a lot. My current pair are kind of deteriorating now though and I'm looking to replace. I might just get the same ones, but are there any others that are comparable/better in the budget ($10-$40) range?
I heard good things about Soundmagic E30 which I can get for around 40-50. But I'm not sure if there are any other obvious choices I should be looking at?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L510XIC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FoxSpirit

Lesson: when you get into headphones you are safe from the garbage that is most HiFi amps.
Seriously, I am still grateful for the sound expertise headphones gave me.
Whenever someone tells you, "You can't translate this from headphones to speakers, this is completely different", don't let yourself be bullshit. Your sense for resolution, space, prat and neutrality are not as influenced by rooms and whatever as retailers want you to think. Heck, even space rendering can be evaluated under bad conditions with enough experience.

If it sounds bad, it sounds bad.

Tommy DJ

To be fair, the room is actually very important in a lot of instances. I don't think I've ever heard a rear bass reflex ported speaker sound good in a small room. That's not to say that can't sound good but the logistics make it impossible to place them far enough from the wall to stop them from sounding muddy and boomy.

But yes, when you've heard enough stuff you can immediately tell if something is hot garbage or not. The Sonus Faber Stradivari I listened to out of curiosity sounded like hot garbage. Absolutely crazy bass emphasis that is so excessive that it bleeds into everything else.

I have decided to get the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade, but only when it's on a promotion.

I'll have to listen to my HD 650 unamped on my desktop for awhile. :/

Probably the Modi 2 or its Uber variant. I don't know, I haven't looked up much on DACs, just AMPs and I know I want the Crack.

I'm listening on my new Haswell Desktop with its integrated Sound.

I did some ABX comparisons in Foobar and didn't notice a difference (more or less) between 192 kbps mp3 and FLAC. I only tested it with a few songs (between 8-16 trials each) but so far it was all consistent with guessing. I also tried against 128 kbps mp3 and that was easy to identify.

I listen most of the time on my portable setup, and this was my desktop setup, so that might be something to consider. Regardless it seemed interesting.

Using:
Denon D2000
Headroom micro dac/amp

HiResDes

I did some ABX comparisons in Foobar and didn't notice a difference (more or less) between 192 kbps mp3 and FLAC. I only tested it with a few songs but so far it was all consistent with guessing. I also tried against 128 kbps mp3 and that was easy to identify.

I listen most of the time on my portable setup, and this was my desktop setup, so that might be something to consider. Regardless it seemed interesting.

Using:
Denon D2000
Headroom micro dac/amp
Most people can't I've been talking about this for a while.

I did some ABX comparisons in Foobar and didn't notice a difference (more or less) between 192 kbps mp3 and FLAC. I only tested it with a few songs (between 8-16 trials each) but so far it was all consistent with guessing. I also tried against 128 kbps mp3 and that was easy to identify.

Using:
Denon D2000
Headroom micro dac/amp

I've done ABX testing probably 3-4 times over the past few years with different source gear to see if I could ever tell a difference between FLAC, 320, and V0 since those are the 3 bitrates that people seem to argue over. I've never been able to regardless of the gear, although in fairness I'm 35 years old and the upper range of my hearing isn't what it was when I was 21. The only real argument I can see for FLAC at this point is to have a copy of a CD for archiving purposes and the ability to transcode to any lossy format you'd want in the future.

yonder

I've done some testing, too, and I can never hear the difference using a pair of Fidelio X2s through a Dragonfly 1.2. Good, saves me some space and worrying about having the highest possible quality.

Also: I'm toying with the idea of returning my X2s. They sound fantastic but the highs are just too fatiguing for me.

I've listened to the sennheiser momentum over-ears a lot and they're the closest I've come to my ideal sound signature except the fact that they're closed and only have an okay soundstage (and get a bit uncomfortable after an hour). They just have this nice, slightly warm and thick sound that I find really pleasant and satisfying while also sounding fun and musical. Yet they never ever get harsh. If I could find an open, more comfortable version of that I'd be golden. So I'm looking for something with

- an open, airy sound with a good soundstage
- laid-back, non-fatiguing highs
- decent bass
- comfort (preferably over-ear)
- max $300

I tried the HD598s but they were too bright for my taste. Going to give the supposedly darker HD558 a try next. The HD650 is out of my range money-wise, and the HE300 is really hard to find here in Northern Europe.

Another option might be to keep the X2 and use an equalizer to take the edge of the treble. I mostly listen through spotify which doesn't have an equalizer, so I tried this app Boom on my mac, but it made everything sound strange and digital. I guess I could buy a FiiO E17 which has an equalizer, but seeing as I have the dragonfly it feels a bit unnecessary to have two dac/amps. Would love to hear some suggestions. I love almost everything about my X2s and it's frustrating as hell that the treble has to a dealbraker.

Tabasco

Are gaming headsets frowned upon in this thread?

I've had my eye on the HyperX Cloud II lately and I'm wondering if anyone with experience on the original Cloud has anything to say about it.

I heard they sound pretty good, so I was just curious what people here think about them.

I picked up a pair of second hand Senn HD 25-1 which I'm pretty pleased with. I listen mostly to electronic and heavy rock and the 25's has got a nice peppy bassy sound that I like.

And now the question, I'm running the phones directly from my computer (an internal x-fi sound card) and I'm wondering about getting an usb dac/amp combo to complement them. If I get a usb dac it completely replaces the sound card for everything like media playing/streaming and games also?

Looking to spend at most £200 and narrowed it down to:

Meridian Explorer (The one I'm leaning towards, but also the most expensive)
ifi nano
HRT Microstreamer
Aune T1

I'm hoping to gain a bit more bass extension and open up the sound without turning the treble too harsh.

Any advice most welcome.

Top Bottom