• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

bedlamite

How does the MSR-7 compare to the ES700 in sound? I really like the signature of my ES700s but they can be very uncomfortable even with the lambskin pads and I heard the MSR-7 is more comfortable.
I've not heard the ES700s before, unfortunately. I actually have an ES500 from way back that I picked up on impulse but from what I know they sound very, very different from each other. What did you find uncomfortable on the 700s? The MSR7s have deeper earcups but also a rather thick and overbuilt headband. It's all-metal construction also gives it a bit more weight than I'd like. Sound-wise, to reiterate, mids are the first thing you notice listening to the MSR, which is great if that's your preference. Good bass reproduction as well, there's a touch of warmth but this is by no means a basshead can.

btw Tyll from Innerfidelity just reviewed them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8bleLsSfU

hitgirl

Anyone use their big headphones through the Ps4 controller? How fast do big headphones drain the battery? Was thinking of getting a pair of NAD Viso for movies and ps4 games.

hitgirl

I use my AD900s with my Dualshock 4, on a full charge I get maybe 5 hours or more.

Ok, awesome. I'm stuck between deciding on going with a Sony bluetooth headphone the 950BT to use on PC and Ps4. Or get a good pair of open back headphones to run wired for both. I like the simplicity of bluetooth and don't think I will notice a difference since I'm not too picky when it comes to audio. Maybe I'll buy both and if there's a huge difference between bluetooth and wired I'll return the bluetooth pair..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
B stock Magni for $79.
B stock Modi for $79.

Doesn't take into account shipping but I don't imagine shipping costing all that much. Either way, its an amplifier/DAC combo that exhibits no hissing at any volume levels, doesn't need extra bullshit drivers to work (looking at you audio-gd), and doesn't sound like mud like most of those cheapo sub-$100 Chinese-designed amps on eBay.

They charge $100 for just adding USB to the bifrost?

leng jai

Addicted to Audio seem to have the wireless Momentum M2s for a whopping $799AUD. Pretty insane pricing. To put it into perspective I "only" paid $1100 for my Beyerdynamic T1s and I don't expect these to be in the same stratosphere SQ wise.

Tommy DJ

Addicted to Audio seem to have the wireless Momentum M2s for a whopping $799AUD. Pretty insane pricing. To put it into perspective I "only" paid $1100 for my Beyerdynamic T1s and I don't expect these to be in the same stratosphere SQ wise.

There's a few reasons for that price:
- The Australian dollar tanked so all suppliers/distributors are price gouging everything
- Sennheiser generally enforces a minimum price on their products
- Its wireless and noise cancelling
- Its brand new
- The "higher end" Momentums were always fairly expensive ($400+?) except when JB Hi Fi was getting rid of all of their stock

As for sound quality I don't know about that statement...at least Sennheiser's won't have a insane 10kHz ski-jump and god-awful decay. You also don't have to play driver-imbalance roulette :lol

leng jai

There's a few reasons for that price:
- The Australian dollar tanked so all suppliers/distributors are price gouging everything
- Sennheiser generally enforces a minimum price on their products
- Its wireless and noise cancelling
- Its brand new
- The "higher end" Momentums were always fairly expensive ($400+?) except when JB Hi Fi was getting rid of all of their stock

As for sound quality I don't know about that statement...at least Sennheiser's won't have a insane 10kHz ski-jump and god-awful decay. You also don't have to play driver-imbalance roulette :lol

Yeah, the poor performance of the Australian dollar probably has something to do with it. It doesn't help that you could have bought the wired Momentums for $160 about a month ago. An $800 street price (probably also RRP) is pretty insane for headphones like these.

Tommy DJ

Yeah, the poor performance of the Australian dollar probably has something to do with it. It doesn't help that you could have bought the wired Momentums for $160 about a month. An $800 street price (probably also RRP) is pretty insane for headphones like these.

I can't imagine JB Hi Fi selling too many Momentums, which explains the fire sale. They were both extremely expensive and terrible: either they physically hurt to wear or you couldn't reliably get a good seal making them sound terrible. While scouring through Gumtree and eBay around Christmas, I saw a stupid number of barely used Momentums.

On Amazon, they're $500 which is actually what I expect for a wireless noise cancelling headphone that audiophiles might actually enjoy. The Beats Studio Wireless headset is already ~$350 USD so $150 extra doesn't seem a whole lot to me. The joys of currency conversion...

leng jai

I can't imagine JB Hi Fi selling too many Momentums, which explains the fire sale. They were both extremely expensive and terrible: either they physically hurt to wear or you couldn't reliably get a good seal making them sound terrible. While scouring through Gumtree and eBay around Christmas, I saw a stupid number of barely used Momentums.

On Amazon, they're $500 which is actually what I expect for a wireless noise cancelling headphone that audiophiles might actually enjoy. The Beats Studio Wireless headset is already ~$350 USD so $150 extra doesn't seem a whole lot to me. The joys of currency conversion...

I'd be happy to spend $500 but after the conversion and shipping cost it will probably be almost $700. I wonder how much better the sound is than the originals.

So I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and I really enjoy them. That being said, I am starting to notice that the bass is a bit lacking. Not really that big of a deal though. My bigger issue is that I use these at work. So there is a fair amount of sound leakage. And because of this, I can't really turn up the volume to loud as I do not want to distract my coworkers. I want to get a new pair that I can really listen to without having to worry about the volume. This will be for work use and I will take these to use at home.

I want something that is a bit more bass heavy as the 598s can sound... hollow? If that makes any sense lol. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650 but both of those are open as well so I am assuming there will be leaking as well. I guess I would need a closed back then. Price range around 300 ish. Don't mind paying a bit more if it is worth it.

andylsun

So I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and I really enjoy them. That being said, I am starting to notice that the bass is a bit lacking. Not really that big of a deal though. My bigger issue is that I use these at work. So there is a fair amount of sound leakage. And because of this, I can't really turn up the volume to loud as I do not want to distract my coworkers. I want to get a new pair that I can really listen to without having to worry about the volume. This will be for work use and I will take these to use at home.

I want something that is a bit more bass heavy as the 598s can sound... hollow? If that makes any sense lol. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650 but both of those are open as well so I am assuming there will be leaking as well. I guess I would need a closed back then. Price range around 300 ish. Don't mind paying a bit more if it is worth it.

If you like Sennheiser then HD25-1 is a great closed back choice. I use mine at work and on travel and it's got good isolation. It's on-ear though. Around $200

Waikis

I'd be happy to spend $500 but after the conversion and shipping cost it will probably be almost $700. I wonder how much better the sound is than the originals.

Send an email to George (owner of A2A) and ask him if he can give a better price. I got a pretty good deal for most of my stuffs that I bought from him.

beast786

So I have 700$ worth of best buy reward certificate. and I am looking for over the year headphones.

Currently I have Bose noise canceling . Love the recharging part and sound . But it's time to upgrade .

Looking at the best buy catalog. Any preference or recommendations?

HiFiMAN - Headphones - HE-560
Sennheiser - HD 700 Over-the-Ear Headphones - Graphite
Koss - ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone
Denon - AH D7100 Advanced Over ear Headphones

Others here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...4000&qp=currentprice4_facet=Price~$500 and Up

Thanks

hitgirl

So I have 700$ worth of best buy reward certificate. and I am looking for over the year headphones.

Currently I have Bose noise canceling . Love the recharging part and sound . But it's time to upgrade .

Others here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...4000&qp=currentprice4_facet=Price~$500 and Up

Thanks

You can't use best buy reward points on the marketplace, I believe. So those Hifiman are out.

Tommy DJ

HE-560 is very good but needs an amp that isnt voltage shy.

The Koss electrostats are very good for the price and come with their own amp (well energizer). No need to upgrade the amp either. Very different sounding to dynamics and planar headphones.

Sennheiser HD700s are pretty bad. Would pick a HD650 over it every day of the year.

Never heard the D7100 so I have no idea.

As always with audiophile stuff, don't be an idiot and buy blind. Always listen before you buy. Opinions are fallible and measurements, while extremely useful for weeding out speakers/headphones, don't tell you the whole picture.

beast786

HE-560 is very good but needs an amp that isnt voltage shy.

The Koss electrostats are very good for the price and come with their own amp (well energizer). No need to upgrade the amp either. Very different sounding to dynamics and planar headphones.

Sennheiser HD700s are pretty bad. Would pick a HD650 over it every day of the year.

Never heard the D7100 so I have no idea.

As always with audiophile stuff, don't be an idiot and buy blind. Always listen before you buy. Opinions are fallible and measurements, while extremely useful for weeding out speakers/headphones, don't tell you the whole picture.

Thanks man I appreciate your help

HiResDes

Check out the Sony MDR1A or Soundmagic HP150.

HiResDes

Thanks
I'd recommend the Bowers and Wilkins P7 or NAD Viso hp50. If the Focal Spirit Classic come back in stock check those out as well.

Soodanim

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Carbo Tenores? The right side on mine finally died. It's something I saw coming as the wires were already exposed in 2 parts.

I'm also considering some new over-ear cans for use with my PC (gaming with a side of music, mostly Hip-Hop, electronic stuff (UK Garage, House, 90s Dance) and Rock).

What sort of money do I need to spend to make getting new cans worth it? The most I want to spend on the IEMs is £50, but I'm willing to go higher (over double if need be) on the cans because they're going to last a lot longer and get a lot more use.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Can anyone recommend a replacement for Carbo Tenores? The right side on mine finally died. It's something I saw coming as the wires were already exposed in 2 parts.

I'm also considering some new over-ear cans for use with my PC (gaming with a side of music, mostly Hip-Hop, electronic stuff (UK Garage, House, 90s Dance) and Rock).

What sort of money do I need to spend to get something worth getting any at all? The most I want to spend on the IEMs, but I'm willing to go higher on the cans because they're going to last a lot longer and get a lot more use.

Ostry KC06 and Nad Visio HP50 is a killer combo. HP50 is also compatible with the V-Moda Boompro mic, so you can cover that base too.

Just spent about an hour with my new Stax 2170 system. For the price I paid, which was $480 shipped, it's got to be the best sounding full sized can I've heard for miles. It reminds me of the UERM, with a bit less mid/sub bass (though what's there is plenty for me and the impact steps up admirably for electronic stuff), cleaner treble, and obviously a larger and more open presentation. I honestly can't imagine anything touching this system for the price. Only caveats I have at the moment are that the comfort isn't the best, and there can be a bit of glare in the upper midrange with certain tracks at louder volumes. Other than that, I think it's stunningly good. I even listened to a 192 kbps rip (inorite?) of Ratatat's LP3 and it sounded awesome.

andylsun

Just spent about an hour with my new Stax 2170 system. For the price I paid, which was $480 shipped, it's got to be the best sounding full sized can I've heard for miles. It reminds me of the UERM, with a bit less mid/sub bass (though what's there is plenty for me and the impact steps up admirably for electronic stuff), cleaner treble, and obviously a larger and more open presentation. I honestly can't imagine anything touching this system for the price. Only caveats I have at the moment are that the comfort isn't the best, and there can be a bit of glare in the upper midrange with certain tracks at louder volumes. Other than that, I think it's stunningly good. I even listened to a 192 kbps rip (inorite?) of Ratatat's LP3 and it sounded awesome.

Ordering mine in a few weeks. I assume you used Price Japan? FedEx or EMS?

Soodanim

Ostry KC06 and Nad Visio HP50 is a killer combo. HP50 is also compatible with the V-Moda Boompro mic, so you can cover that base too.

Thanks, I'll look into those. And I apologise for making little sense towards the end - I had just woken up and was apparently not functioning at full capacity.

Ordering mine in a few weeks. I assume you used Price Japan? FedEx or EMS?

Yep. I was on a wait list for like 3 weeks. Get in while the yen is week cause this thing is just incredibly good. EMS is also crazy fast. Took 3 business days to get from Japan to my door in the US from when it was shipped.

God Des, if you dig the Rockets sound and have some full sized cans lying around, get rid of em and drop the dough on this system. It's so clear and smooth, and the sense of depth is excellent. Easily competitive with stuff like the HD800/K812 IMO but with better tonal qualities than either.

Ryman

I also recently got into the STAX lineup and could not be happier. I got and SR-202+SRM-300 (which had been modified to run at 117v so no need for a transformer, along with having some other internal components upgraded) for $450, and I might consider getting one of the newer Lambdas, but I'm pretty pleased with the 202 right now. Just comparing it to my HE-400 the soundstage is far better on the 202 and the treble isn't as pronounced when compared to the 400. Not to mention I find the 202 far more comfortable than the 400.

I honestly wouldn't bother with any of the other Lambdas in the range (3-507) unless you're going vintage. I think either Tyll or Ultrabike from IF measured both the SR207 and SR507 and they measure nearly identically:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR507SE11049.pdf

I think the increased price of the 507 comes from the metal frame and leather pads, not so much the actual performance for the dollar. You ought to just spend the money on a set of leather replacement pads for the 202

Ryman

I honestly wouldn't bother with any of the other Lambdas in the range (3-507) unless you're going vintage. I think either Tyll or Ultrabike from IF measured both the SR207 and SR507 and they measure nearly identically:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR507SE11049.pdf

I think the increased price of the 507 comes from the metal frame and leather pads, not so much the actual performance for the dollar. You ought to just spend the money on a set of leather replacement pads for the 202

Yep, I had heard similar things. Seems the data bears it out. People had suggested merely getting 207 or a a 307 and swapping in some leather pads.

X-Frame

Is there a headphone equivalent at around $200 (give or take) to the in-ear V-Sonic GR07's or GR06's?

I listen to a lot of metal (progressive, melodic) but also electronic and ambient (synth, psychill, post-rock, downtempo) and the GR06 and GR07's that I have sound great for those types of genres.

I am assuming it is the high-fidelity or clarity?

I have HD 280 Pro's which sound great to me (I'm not audiophile) but I am over how uncomfortable they are.

Thank you!

HiResDes

This is all too intriguing why do y'all do this to me.

HiResDes

Is there a headphone equivalent at around $200 (give or take) to the in-ear V-Sonic GR07's or GR06's?

I listen to a lot of metal (progressive, melodic) but also electronic and ambient (synth, psychill, post-rock, downtempo) and the GR06 and GR07's that I have sound great for those types of genres.

I am assuming it is the high-fidelity or clarity?

I have HD 280 Pro's which sound great to me (I'm not audiophile) but I am over how uncomfortable they are.

Thank you!
Beyerdynamic DT 250 or Brainwavz Hm5

This is all too intriguing why do y'all do this to me.

Rockets as your IEM, 2170 as your full sized rig, it's a fuckin no brainer dude. You'd have to spend hilarious money to best the 2170 in any meaningful capacity, and none of the dynamics and planars I've heard manage this super clean, almost ghostly presentation. The closest thing I've heard to it is definitely the UERM, which is a bit warmer in comparison and has more palpable oomph down low (I think the 2170 starts to roll off a little later than the Rockets at 30 hz. or so, you'll lose some of the rumble, but the impact and texture is still present due to how lightning quick the transients are).

If you value good tonal accuracy (this falls on the brighter side of neutral, but it's not too far removed, and if you're used to the slightly leaner notes of the Rockets, you'll be just fine), super clarity (dig that ultra low distortion) and airy, boundless depth to your soundstage, this is your ticket. I've read how a lot of people feel that it's best suited for classical, jazz, and acoustic, but damn, I've run rock, electronic, pop and hip hop through it and it handles all that stuff just fine. I would never describe these as sounding cold, or clinical, as I find them thoroughly immersive and captivating (live tracks possess this insane "you are there" level of transparency). Only on some rare occasions did I miss some of the low end oomph of my other phones, or did I find the phones unsuited for the material cause the mix is too damn hot.

Cans and amp for $480? It's hilarious value

Browny

Banned
I'm looking to buy a pair of in-ear phones for going to sleep in, with a decent fit (to cancel the noise of my other half's ability to fall unconscious at a moment's notice...). I was looking at the SoundMagic E10S, which seem pretty good. Max of £50, UKer... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Big Nikus

I'm looking for headphones under 50$ and I've read a lot of positive things about the Superlux HD668B. I took the reference from someone who recommended it in another thread a few weeks ago, but I'm no expert and I wonder if it's really a good choice for gaming. It seems the bass are not really punchy, but I feel I should try to move away from the heavy bass headphones I've been used to... Any advice?

tr4656

I'm looking for headphones under 50$ and I've read a lot of positive things about the Superlux HD668B. I took the reference from someone who recommended it in another thread a few weeks ago, but I'm no expert and I wonder if it's really a good choice for gaming. It seems the bass are not really punchy, but I feel I should try to move away from the heavy bass headphones I've been used to... Any advice?

It'll be pretty solid for gaming.

HiResDes

I'm looking to buy a pair of in-ear phones for going to sleep in, with a decent fit (to cancel the noise of my other half's ability to fall unconscious at a moment's notice...). I was looking at the SoundMagic E10S, which seem pretty good. Max of £50, UKer... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I'd recommend the Vsonic VC02 for those purposes comfortable deep fit and good isolation.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Hi, I recently came across some extra money, and decided to go for a new headset, after my original pulse ps4 headset randomly stopped taking a charge a couple months ago.

Initially, I was going to get the HyperCloudXII gaming headset, I was dead set on it, but something told me not to bite so quickly, so I began to do some research, and basically found out that they don't work so well on PS4. I also looked at the Skullcandy PLYR1, but read that they had a few issues with durability. Then I remembered one of my good friends telling me about how gaming headsets weren't the greatest, so I began to google, and came across this, and a few other threads, that were a real help.

I decided on getting the Astro Gaming Mixamp Pro, with a pair of Sennheiser hd558's (seems Sennheiser is most trusted). Will get the Antlion Mic in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, and thanks for the advice.

Dave_6

My Schiit stack arrived last night; spent ~2 hours sitting here listening to different stuff with my AKG 7XXs. Sogood.gif

Top Bottom