• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

andylsun

Got one yesterday and I love it! I sold my dragonfly 1.2 since I found it too bright, and though I didn't get a chance to compare the two, I absolutely prefer the sound of the fulla since it lacks the glare that I experienced with the df. I was a bit worried about the build quality from what I'd read on head-fi, but I think it's totally fine, especially considering the price. And it's so freaking tiny, almost as small as the df.

I couldn't tell much difference in sound quality between the dragonfly 1.2 and fulla - spent some time switching back and forward between the two. I liked the analogue volume control on the fulla, and the fact that it could drive my headphones really really loud. If I'd known about the fulla when I bought my Dragonfly I would have probably gone with that, but not for sound quality reasons.

I think I prefer the fact that the fulla completely disables all computer output controls. I know the Dragonfly uses an analogue output attenuator, but a rotary pot just feels better in my mind.

edit: it makes the fulla better with the PS4 as the PS4 appears to have quite a low volume setting when you connect a USB audio device to it - the fulla I could crank when playing driveclub with my HD-555's and there was loads of headroom. The Dragonfly was at max and it was quite loud, but didn't have much volume range left.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Between my current budget and the fact I'm currently in Spain, I'm looking at the following options which all cost about the same: Sony MDR-1R, Sony MDR-1A, Senheisser Momentum, Senheisser HD598 (I wanted the B&W P5 but those are way out of my budget).

Considering I'll be using them at home to listen to varied music genres and might occasionally hook them up to a home theater for some movie goodness, which one of those is a better/smarter buy?

The Fulla might be a good enough starting point. Works with PS4
I haven't tried plugging any of my DACs into the PS4 but I have run a plug from the Dualshock 4's headphone out into an amp and then out to my headphones and, I gotta say, at least for what I've watched on Netflix, it sounds really good-- very nice 2-channel surround decoding.

Demy

Hey gang,can anyone recommend some noise canceling headphones around the $150 mark? I'm buying them as a gift for someone who mostly listens to hip hop, rock, and Mexican music. College kid.

mr stroke

I picked up this Buttkicker to go with my PC gaming set up(Astro Mix Amp+Senn's)

25AzmcPl.jpg

Mounted the transducer to the back of my office chair

Pc3cPhnl.jpg

Results=Holly fucking shit!!!!!!. Truly adds a "4th dimension". Being able to feel the bass, gunshots, and explosions, while still using cans is amazing. Its impossible to articulate just how cool it is. Best $150 upgrade Ive bought for my PC ever.

I picked up this Buttkicker to go with my PC gaming set up(Astro Mix Amp+Senn's)

http://i.imgur.com/25AzmcPl.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Pc3cPhnl.jpg[img]

Results=Holly fucking shit!!!!!!. Truly adds a "4th dimension". Being able to feel the bass, gunshots, and explosions, while still using cans is amazing. Its impossible to articulate just how cool it is. Best $150 upgrade Ive bought for my PC ever.[/QUOTE]

wat

Speaking of, I got my K7XX earlier today. Just more or less trying it out due to work. I'll post my thoughts later this week when I have some free time. They are comfy as hell though. Surprised at how light they were.

I recently bought a razor kraken 7.1 USB to be used with my ps4 and I noticed that volume is low.

Any DAC with USB input? Fiio e17 seems to have a USB slot, will it work with my kraken 7.1+PS4?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

25AzmcPl.jpg

Pc3cPhnl.jpg

Results=Holly fucking shit!!!!!!. Truly adds a "4th dimension". Being able to feel the bass, gunshots, and explosions, while still using cans is amazing. Its impossible to articulate just how cool it is. Best $150 upgrade Ive bought for my PC ever.

Yo that's really freaking cool.

mr stroke

Anyone else considering getting a pair of Momentum 2.0 wireless?

I'm extremely tempted but spending €450 on headphone is hard to swallow.

I would be in at $200 but $500 is too much for Blue Tooth cans. I have a pair of Jabra Blue Tooth headphones now and they are nice for doing stuff around the house or Podcasts but for music they suck. Curious how good those Senn's sound.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Damn that was quick!
Would've been quicker if mediamarkt had them in stock. Bless amazon.es same-day delivery :D
I'm leaving on sat so it had to be quick anyway

Here is a pic of it, the pouch is neat, and the box is real nice too, such a shame I have to leave it behind :(
20150225_2243502juhl.jpg

Malleavel

Does anybody have any experience with DIY amps, specifically of the Millet variety? I can't find much about their power output, besides that "they can drive k1000s." How do they stack up against commercial amps?

I would be in at $200 but $500 is too much for Blue Tooth cans. I have a pair of Jabra Blue Tooth headphones now and they are nice for doing stuff around the house or Podcasts but for music they suck. Curious how good those Senn's sound.

According to the reviews I've read (of which there aren't many) it seems as the sound is slightly improved over the first generation and the loss of quality of Bluetooth is negligible. Now also has active noise cancellation which is supposed to be very good. NFC pairing for those who are interested too.

So for an extra €130 on the wired version you get noise cancellation, Bluetooth and a mic so you can take calls.

Still trying to convince myself here! :p

danthefan

Anyone recommend a set of headphones with a decent mic? Tbh they don't need to be top of the range but I'd want to be able to use them for phone calls.

bedlamite

Like a MDR-1A, but not quite...

wp_20150227_21_39_16_dep9s.jpg

Apologies for the terrible pic, the finish on the MSR-7s are a deep textured red, absolute stunners

The MDR-1As are still the comfort kings (I personally don't own the 1A but I do have the older MDR-1), but these aren't half bad. The MSR-7's got the typical ATH house sound which puts vocals at front and center, good stuff.

darkwing

Like a MDR-1A, but not quite...

wp_20150227_21_39_16_dep9s.jpg

Apologies for the terrible pic, the finish on the MSR-7s are a deep textured red, absolute stunners

The MDR-1As are still the comfort kings (I personally don't own the 1A but I do have the older MDR-1), but these aren't half bad. The MSR-7's got the typical ATH house sound which puts vocals at front and center, good stuff.

woah, looks like a stunner

yup, it's nice to have different phones for different sound signatures imo

danthefan

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of V Moda XS. Never really bought expensive headphones before so thought about it a lot but the reviews seem good and they match my needs.

Now that I got a chance to play with the K7XX, I can say for $200 it does not disappoint. Currently driving them with a Xonar Essence STX + Woo Audio 6. That soundstage truly is something. I've been listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra and my god. My Audio Technica AD2000X are my intimate headphones (emphasis on midrange, fast and aggressive - king of female vocals), so this will fit my other niche I've been looking for.

What's the bass like in comparison to the NAD?

NADs are still better in that regard.

Tommy DJ

Does anybody have any experience with DIY amps, specifically of the Millet variety? I can't find much about their power output, besides that "they can drive k1000s." How do they stack up against commercial amps?

Are you referring to Pete Millett's Starving Student? If that's the case, a quick look at its performance suggests it has a tiny bit of treble and bass roll-off (with stock parts anyway). Based on that, I don't think its a particularity great amp when we have good dirt cheap offerings in the form of the O2, and the Schiit Magni2/Vali that don't do that.

As the story goes, the Rega Brio-R was based on some design found in a pile of old Wireless World magazines from the 60s and 70s. Most Class A and AB topographies are well documented enough that someone with the brains can cook up sounding very nice and comparable to commercial amps.

Stuff like the CK2III, Bottlehead Crack, and Torpedo sound very good and can be made quite affordable.

hitgirl

Anyone got recommendations for headphones for PS4 and PC use? Something that doesn't need an amp, I don't like clutter. Price under $250 or w/e.

Friggz

can anyone recommend a relativley inexpensive(*<200) amp + dac combo? I just purchased a paid of HD650 and want to use them properly.

can anyone recommend a relativley inexpensive(*<200) amp + dac combo? I just purchased a paid of HD650 and want to use them properly.
I recommend the AudioEngine D1 DAC.

I have heard people say this unit isn't super great on a price/performance point of view, but I have been using one of these for the last few years and still love it.

Friggz

I recommend the AudioEngine D1 DAC.

I have heard people say this unit isn't super great on a price/performance point of view, but I have been using one of these for the last few years and still love it.

that looks pretty perfect, reviews are kind to it also. does it come with the necessary cables?

Thanks for the rec!

Kuro

How does the MSR-7 compare to the ES700 in sound? I really like the signature of my ES700s but they can be very uncomfortable even with the lambskin pads and I heard the MSR-7 is more comfortable.

Malleavel

You can buy a gen 1 schiit magni/modi stack for 160 from the schiit website. It was a great value when it was current, and now it is an even better value.

Guys could you recommend me some bluetooth earbuds? I have a friend that swears by Jaybird Bluebuds X but they are a bit pricey for my tastes. Anything cheaper?

I would prefer it to be just wires if possible and not a hard plastic around the head

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok guys I am finally flying home after 2 months on the road (Turks & Caicos, San Diego, Big Bear, LA, Big Sur, Carmel, Sonoma, Bodega Bay, San Francisco, Vail, NYC). My Fiio E17 and Fostex TH600s served me so well, super happy I got them, and got to audition the Audeze LCD-3s. Had never heard of any of those brands before coming to this thread.

But what makes me *really* excited is that I bought the Schiit stack since it was easy to get in the USA and I got to try it back home. It's the cheapest one but should still be a step up from the Fiio.

Got the X2 a few days ago, and I am in love with the sound stage of these. Haven't had a head set in the same price/quality range ever so I'm kind of rediscovering all my music now.

First thing I found out was how crappy my Sound Blaster Audigy2 cards was. I remember it being a significant upgrade over onboard, but with these cans everything sounded kind of muddy. Bought a Xonar U5 on impulse the next day, and the difference was staggering when it came to sound clarity. I'm scared that I have crawled down a very expensive rabbit hole.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Maaan. I use my ATH-ESW9As (catchy name) at work and on my laptop, so I listen to the majority of my music on them, but when I occasionally use my desktop and thus use my HE-400s... What a treat. I always forget how incredible they are. I mean, I love the ATH-ESW9As, but they just can't compare to the HE-400s.

Like, I've been listening to Elliott Smith at work on my ATH-ESW9As pretty much non-stop for the past week (using non-Premium Spotify probably doesn't help the cause) and I just put some Elliott Smith on on my desktop with my HE-400s (320kbps files, not Spotify, for what it's worth) and I'm blown away by the production values and how good the songs actually sound.

HiResDes

Aune T1 might be a good choice too.

Been some quality posts in here. Everyone has such good setups now it's incredible to me.

Top Bottom