• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I received my AKG K7XXs from Massdrop last night. I did a quick unboxing and listen last night but spent more time with them today. The packaging was pretty barebones-- no carrying pouch or case. The 'phones themselves do not fold up in any meaningful way-- I would They're a really nice sounding set of headphones to my ears.

Build quality looks and feels excellent so far. They're very comfortable. The cups fit over my ears nicely-- and I don't have small ears.

I'm very happy with the sound quality-- they're my first pair of open back headphones and there is definitely an airy quality to them. Otherwise, I'm terrible with the audiophilic adjectives but I can say that they compare well with both my NAD VISO HP50s and a co-worker's HD600s.

I brought them into work this morning and traded them with a co-worker for his HD600s-- he was really impressed with the K7XXs-- particularly how they handled the midrange-- he mentioned how amazing they sounded playing back some Bill Evans jazz.

For my part, I got to listen to the HD600s for a couple of hours and they're very nice as well, comfortable, and great sounding. Switching to the AGKs when we traded back, there was definitely nothing lost as far as the quality of the sound. If there are differences, as I'm sure there are, I'm not sure I've got the ear to pick anything out. I can say for sure, that I didn't hear anything that struck me as harsh.

So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm curious to play around swapping them with my JVCs at work just to hear what I can hear.

Looks like Massdrop managed to get their entire shipment of the K7xx, so us March shippers will get it next week. Can't wait to see how these compare to the AD2k's and I'm especially excited about that AKG soundstage.

kris.

Banned
I don't even consider those good headphones really if I'm being honest...And no it's no because of their price range, they're are some headphones in their range that kill them.

Oh I'm sure there are, but these were only ~$50 and I didn't do much research beforehand hahaha

Looks like Massdrop managed to get their entire shipment of the K7xx, so us March shippers will get it next week. Can't wait to see how these compare to the AD2k's and I'm especially excited about that AKG soundstage.
The soundstage is very nice to my ears. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

For anyone curious about driving them, when I plugged them directly into my Fiio X5, I had the volume dial at 75/120, low gain, to hit the loudness level I like. I'm not a super-loud listener but between the remaining room on the low-gain dial and the entire high-gain spectrum, something like the X5 will drive them just fine. I haven't tried them direct in my iPhone yet but I'll probably try it tomorrow.

So I popped in a couple of bass-heavy songs on Spotify to throw at the AKGs:

• Tsbol by Robert Miles;
  • I Against I by Massive Attack w/Mos Def;
  • The Saint by Orbital; and,
  • Enter the Temple by Tsunami Bros.

I'm no basshead but the AKGs definitely sounded bassy enough on those tracks for me. I'll have to go back and forth with the NADs over the weekend but I certainly wasn't disappointed by this small sampling.

andylsun

This totally blows away my old Klipsch S4, I frickin' love it! Waiting for the FiiO E10K to arrive tomorrow....

Oh hell, that'll do. I was thinking about springing for the IE60's, but just bought a less portable pair of Stax electrostatics, so portable listening will have to wait for a bit.

I couldn't get the Kliptsch to fit in my ear even with the large flanges, so gave them to my daughter who loves them.

mr stroke

j7SUX3p.png

is that a lighting cable port on the bottom :eek:

Yes I said it was compatible with the iPhone lol

The crazy thing is that this thing actually charges your phone as you use it which is just awesome

I'm also very impressed that it charges in just half an hour. Typically these things take like 3 hours minimum to charge. It's just a extremely well conceived device

True. Klipsch hasn't put out anything worth a damn since the X10, but that was very much so a product of its time as it really lacks clarity compared to most of the bang for the buck Chinese/Japanese phones these days

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Guys, I might be in the market for a new pair of cans. Right now I'm using a pair of AKG K518LE, which I bought about 3/4 years ago. They sound great, but I tought maybe could step it up a little.

I paid them 50€, do you think that there would be something in the 100€ range that would be a worthwhile upgrade?
The only "requirment" would be that I want a pair of circumaural, because I don't mind the weight, but my ears start hurting if I wear these for a while because of the pressure.

pj

Banned
military spec earbuds smells like marketing to me. I guarantee I would kill them in a year. The warranty is enticing though.

For now, I will just get the KC06s. The vsonics they're replacing don't have a great reputation for isolation either, but they were good enough for me.

Got the KC06s today. Only listened to them for a bit but they seem as good or better than my vsonic gr07. My impressions may be exaggerated by the fact that 've been using my crappy apple earbuds for a week but the soundstage and accuracy are great. Fit and isolation seem fine as well.

Guys, I might be in the market for a new pair of cans. Right now I'm using a pair of AKG K518LE, which I bought about 3/4 years ago. They sound great, but I tought maybe could step it up a little.

I paid them 50€, do you think that there would be something in the 100€ range that would be a worthwhile upgrade?
The only "requirment" would be that I want a pair of circumaural, because I don't mind the weight, but my ears start hurting if I wear these for a while because of the pressure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones-Black/dp/B005CNR7B0

Dave_6

My AKG K7XXs came in from Massdrop today, and I really like them so far. No rattling issues with mine which was quite relieving. I desperately need to hurry up and order a Schiit stack as onboard audio isn't cutting it lol.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tomorrow, I will go and listen to some Audezes in NYC, and compare them to my Fostex TH600s. Especially interested to hear whether I am able to appreciate the difference between LCD-2s and LCD-3s, and to find out how noisy open backs are to people around me. Need to prepare my playlist and charge my portable DAC/amp. There was a good post from Phat Michael with auditioning advice earlier, I'll need to dig it up. This thread moves so fast.

New favourite track for testing bass? Skulls by Royksopp:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7lzl1Qfv4NqSmypuKmF07l

Incredible album too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Looks like the Oppo DAC/Amp is finally out. Looks really sweet and price is excellent. Should be great if you use your cans on the go. Is compatible with iPhone too.

http://oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/

Ooh, I have been waiting for a licenced Lightning port DAC/Amp for a while. So tempting, would eliminate the weakest link of my mobile listening chain. Nice design too. I wonder if anyone has it in stock in NYC.

Some more AKG Massdrop thoughts:

Listening more and, very unscientifically A-Bing with m NADs, there's plenty of bass and at least equal in extension and quality to the NADs.

I plugged the 'phones directly into my iPhone-- the phone was able to drive them plenty loud enough for me but it doesn't get SUPER loud, even at full volume. I could see some people wanting more than the phone can put out.

HiResDes

From what I've read, they are supposed to have better mids while keeping a deep bass and clear highs. And nice build quality with a mic that works with WP, iOS and android.
There's no comparison with other IEMs, I bet they're just really V-shaped in comparison, but not anymore transparent.

Dave_6

Some more AKG Massdrop thoughts:

I plugged the 'phones directly into my iPhone-- the phone was able to drive them plenty loud enough for me but it doesn't get SUPER loud, even at full volume. I could see some people wanting more than the phone can put out.

It's amazing how much better my iPhone 5S powers mine compared the on board audio on my PC.

Waikis

Not as swish as some gear in here but damn these are sounding good. New pads on the way and should be here next week.

Loving them.

rsVANrGl.jpg

Once you go Stax you can't go bax. :p

Even with the Sr-5, you will still be able to get that sweet estats sound of transparency and quick attack.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, I made my way over to Innovative AV showroom on E 58th Street, NYC. Super nice people, I had a chance to audition Audeze LCD-2s and LCD-3s in my leisure, with my own playlist, comparing them to my Fostex TH-600s.

Here are my takeaways (note - I don't know how to describe headsets in proper terms, so these are my laymans attempts to describe the differences):

Audeze LCD-3 (rev.1) vs. Fostex TH600 - Clearly this was an awesome, lovely headset. Compared to my Fostex, the sound feels fuller, deeper, and somehow 'warmer'. This was a bit of a surprise to me, but then again, one of the main draws of my Fostex headset was the monitor-like, crystal crisp sound. The bass on Fostex is much boomier and physical, almost exaggerated, again much in line with what I initially read and preferred. The sound of the LCD-3s also feels tigther, whereas with Foxtex the closed cup forms an open, free space for the ear.

Audeze LCD-3 (rev.1) vs. LCD-2 (rev.1) - I am genuinely surprised that I was able to make this distinction, the difference was much more clear than I anticipated. The sound of the LCD-3s is deeper and tighter than the LCD-2, it feels more comprehensive, close and deep. The sound in LCD-2 is brighter and more open compared to the warmth and intimacy of LCD-3. I didn't see a huge step up from Fostex TH600 to LCD-2, whereas the step up to LCD-3 was clear.

Both Audezes required about +5 more volume compared to the Fostex TH600s to produce a comparable volume.

Verdict - Going from Fostex TH600 to Audeze LCD-3 means tripling the price from $700 to $2000. Clearly the sound is more refined, fuller and warmer, notably so. However I didn't find the jump anywhere near as dramatic as was the jump form Sennheiser PXC-450 or Bose QCIIs to Fostex, which was a 'holy shit' type of an affair, where there was no way I could return back to the previous tier.

I enjoyed the LCD-3s immensely, and recognise they are just spectacular. I seriously considered grabbing a pair, but given my usage context - home in bed with the Mrs, or in the office / design studio, or in the airplane - I just couldn't justify getting an open back headset that wouldn't work in any of those contexts. And for closed backs, I haven't seen a similar leap as Fostex TH600s to Audeze LCD-3s. So, in a way I was happy to find that my current headset is what I need. But on the other hand, I am secretly disappointed that I couldn't justify buying new kit.

Here is my audition playlist, which I had at 320kbps with me:

Skulls - Royksopp (bass)
Magic (Live at the Enmore Theatre) - Coldplay (live recording)
Entre dos Aguas - Paco de Lucia (instrumental)
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - U2 (rock)
Luka - Suzanne Vega (unplugged)
Finlandia, op. 26 - Jean Sibelius (classical)
White Flag - Dido (female voice)

EDIT - Listening again to Skulls by Royksopp with my Fostex TH600s, this bass is the most intensely satisfying feeling. Goddam.

Welcome to diminishing returns, which are very, very real and more severe than most realize. A lot of people spend thousands trying to recreate this feeling: "However I didn't find the jump anywhere near as dramatic as was the jump form Sennheiser PXC-450 or Bose QCIIs to Fostex" - and never actually find it again

andylsun

Once you go Stax you can't go bax. :p

Even with the Sr-5, you will still be able to get that sweet estats sound of transparency and quick attack.

Yep. Think I'm hooked. They have an effortless about them. Can't quite put it into words but it's exactly what I hoped. Saving up for a brand new pair right now.

Edit: Chittagong, nice write up. Was thinking about the EL-8's before I got sucked into Stax

I finally took the leap and bought a dt990 for gaming. Thread creeping got the best of me. Gotta decide on my dac/amp now. I'm leaning towards the modi2 uber and magni2 uber. Hopefully that'll last me awhile. Gotta save up for them first though. Still hurting from the holidays.

andylsun

I finally took the leap and bought a dt990 for gaming. Thread creeping got the best of me. Gotta decide on my dac/amp now. I'm leaning towards the modi2 uber and magni2 uber. Hopefully that'll last me awhile. Gotta save up for them first though. Still hurting from the holidays.

The Fulla might be a good enough starting point. Works with PS4

The Fulla might be a good enough starting point. Works with PS4

I'm tempted to grab it since it's so cheap and it can hold me over until I get the stack of schiit. Then I could use the fulla for the laptop and ps4. Stack for desktop and upgraded headphones if I decide to move up at some point.

yonder

I'm tempted to grab it since it's so cheap and it can hold me over until I get the stack of schiit. Then I could use the fulla for the laptop and ps4. Stack for desktop and upgraded headphones if I decide to move up at some point.
Got one yesterday and I love it! I sold my dragonfly 1.2 since I found it too bright, and though I didn't get a chance to compare the two, I absolutely prefer the sound of the fulla since it lacks the glare that I experienced with the df. I was a bit worried about the build quality from what I'd read on head-fi, but I think it's totally fine, especially considering the price. And it's so freaking tiny, almost as small as the df.

darkwing

I have the Dragonfly 1.2 , can't compare with the original one, but I like it with the MDR1 and ATH IM02

I must like a bright sound signature

Top Bottom