• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Jarmel

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Precisely. That's diminishing returns in full effect right there. I think it's only a matter of time before multi arm IEMs overtake headphones altogether. The technology has really grown by leaps whereas headphone tech has remained pretty stagnant.

They do sound radically different though. I prefer jazz, classical, and watching movies and anime on the HD800 rig as it's more natural. The JH13s are godly though when walking around, which is when I listen to rock and pop.

Alucrid

Banned
Precisely. That's diminishing returns in full effect right there. I think it's only a matter of time before multi arm IEMs overtake headphones altogether. The technology has really grown by leaps whereas headphone tech has remained pretty stagnant.

I think I just want a good closed headphone, then it's all IEMs baby. I still get shivers when listening to the RE0s sometimes.

Yasae

Banned
HiResDes said:
The E7 is the cheapest option, but the HRT Music Streamer II might be the best option.
Hmm.

E7 uses a Wolfson 8740.

Music Streamer II uses a Burr-Brown PCM1793.

My experience with Wolfson has been its lower-grade (and to be fair, cheaply made) converters in the older Ipods as well as Macs. They generally do poor in conversion tests as you'd expect; you're not paying for conversion quality in either, but with a separate DAC you would.

I don't have any experience with Burr-Brown's designs except their op-amps (namely the 2604,) so *shrug*.

Yasae

Banned
CoachKevin said:
What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80ohm)? I got some Sennheiser 555's a few weeks back but I really don't like the audio leaking.

I was also just considering the Sennheiser 448HD's as they are closed. 90% of the time the headphones will be plugged into my iMac for podcasting and listening to music.

Thoughts?
It depends. I never got significant leakage during recording even with my semi-closed k240s. You can hear them in the room when listening to broadband sources like music, but they didn't really leak with vocalists unless the singer was screaming and wanted the monitors exceptionally loud. Podcasts aren't going to be quite so extreme.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and order the M50 cans at this point. It seems like they'd be a good choice for my first headphone over $100.

SolarPowered said:
I'm probably going to bite the bullet and order the M50 cans at this point. It seems like they'd be a good choice for my first headphone over $100.
You won't regret it.

After only using mine for a few hours, they are blowing the Sennheiser 555's away. Maybe I just like closed headphones?

KJTB

besiktas1 said:
Just got my email. My tma-1 are on the way... Is it time to start getting excited?

I'm currently wearing my one month old TMA-1's on my head... they're amazing. I can't go back to listening to music through ipod headphones and other crap like that. They're awesome out of the box and only get better with time. I seriously love them, I think I'd cry if they broke :p

params7

Banned
Senn Mx100's should really be listed in the low-mid tier section.

edit nm PX100's in the lower section. These are the best quality awesomely cheap headphones money can buy imo.

Ashhong

CoachKevin said:
I have seen some comflicting discussions on this, but I don't really need an amp to plug my ath-50s into a 27" imac right?

Also does anyone know if the latest macbook airs have a decent sound board for outputting?

Finally, any difference in output between the ipod touches and the ipod classic?

Assuming the macbook air has the same soundboard as my unibody MBP, I am going to say you need at least an E5. I was not happy with the sound off my laptop. Cant say anything about the imac though.

KJTB

Ashhong said:
Assuming the macbook air has the same soundboard as my unibody MBP, I am going to say you need at least an E5. I was not happy with the sound off my laptop. Cant say anything about the imac though.

I'm not audiophile or anything, so if you say that the sound coming from a unibody MBP sucks (what I have) then I can't even imagine how good it would sound with an amp... I might have to look into one now haha.

CoachKevin said:
You won't regret it.

After only using mine for a few hours, they are blowing the Sennheiser 555's away. Maybe I just like closed headphones?
I ordered them an hour ago. Some more research will be needed to find out whether or not the HD555 are too close in their performance to the M50. I may need to buy a better headphone for that warm performance if this is the case. Maybe a beyerdynamic or a Denon brand...

I've never really had a preference when it came to closed and open phones myself. I loved my Grado SR80 cans and my Sennheiser 202 were great for the price. Hell, my Shures got more playtime than all of my over the ear phones.

Ashhong

Dipindots said:
I'm not audiophile or anything, so if you say that the sound coming from a unibody MBP sucks (what I have) then I can't even imagine how good it would sound with an amp... I might have to look into one now haha.

I'm actually sad that I notice it because I never planned on using an amp. However at home, my desktop sound goes into my stereo, and I plug my M50s into that. Apparently my stereos amp is powering my headphones because the difference between that and my macbook is night and day. It's so much better I almost didn't want to take my M50s around with my macbook because it wasn't worth it.

The E5 did a decent job iirc, but if you have the cash you should probably go better if you dont need portability. I got the E5 because I thought I would be carrying it around a lot like at the gym or something, but I dont. I regret not getting the E7 or something instead.

Oh and I'm not an audiophile at all either. At least I wasn't before these. I didnt know what to expect and how good they would sound, but yea, amp is godly.

I was searching around and I noticed that the DT 990 phones are $167 on amazon right now. Why is the price so low? I'd expect it to be closer to it's siblings. It seems kind of suspicious, but ridiculously tempting...

HiResDes

SolarPowered said:
I was searching around and I noticed that the DT 990 phones are $167 on amazon right now. Why is the price so low? I'd expect it to be closer to it's siblings. It seems kind of suspicious, but ridiculously tempting...
They are the older pro version, which features tighter clamping, but is nonetheless pretty much the same headphone...The best deal in the world IMO, if you can deal with an open can.

SolarPowered said:
don't assume that higher model numbers equate to higher quality. :)

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
I'm actually sad that I notice it because I never planned on using an amp. However at home, my desktop sound goes into my stereo, and I plug my M50s into that. Apparently my stereos amp is powering my headphones because the difference between that and my macbook is night and day. It's so much better I almost didn't want to take my M50s around with my macbook because it wasn't worth it.

The E5 did a decent job iirc, but if you have the cash you should probably go better if you dont need portability. I got the E5 because I thought I would be carrying it around a lot like at the gym or something, but I dont. I regret not getting the E7 or something instead.

Oh and I'm not an audiophile at all either. At least I wasn't before these. I didnt know what to expect and how good they would sound, but yea, amp is godly.
The cmoy posted in the OP is a nice step up without going too high up in price

HiResDes said:
They are the older pro version, which features tighter clamping, but is nonetheless pretty much the same headphone...The best deal in the world IMO, if you can deal with an open can.
I'm a big fan of the Grado open design so I'm sure the DT 990 could grow on me. I had no idea they are on older model though.

Thanks
Dreams-Visions said:
don't assume that higher model numbers equate to higher quality. :)
I know that's not always the case, but it's a pretty good guideline. Hell, your impressions of the Denon models are varied as it is and other phones like the Grado RS1/RS2 have staunch fans in each camp. The one thing I'm sure of is that it's a hell of a deal.

A possible dumb question. I have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra High-speed 8 x 8 USB 2.0 mixer, would that work as an amp? It is powered and can be used as an output.

KJTB

Ashhong said:

In that case, I'll be looking into buying an E7. Right now I love the sound of my TMA-1's, having any sort of an improvement will be well worth the money :p

I'm slowly becoming more of a music snob/audiophile though. like when I go running and I have my lame earphones in... i'm all like "WTF, WHERE'S THE BASS. THAT WAS THE HIGH HAT? THE FUCK WAS THAT?!" hahaha

Tigel

I finally got my Sennheiser HD595 and I am very very pleased so far. I have a question though, what is the difference between a 1/4'' and a 1/8'' (3.5mm) jack? - beside the size obviously.

The HD595 comes with a 1/4'' jack and a converter to 1/8''. Do I lose sound quality by using the converter?

Tigel said:
I finally got my Sennheiser HD595 and I am very very pleased so far. I have a question though, what is the difference between a 1/4'' and a 1/8'' (3.5mm) jack? - beside the size obviously.

The HD595 comes with a 1/4'' jack and a converter to 1/8''. Do I lose sound quality by using the converter?
No. The jack is just included for compatibility across devices.

I just finished reading the entire thread and I've come to the conclusion that I'm ready to buy the DT-990 model tomorrow after a visit to the bank. I even ordered an audio splitter adapter so that I can plug two phones into the ipod to burn both of them in more quickly.

The one thing that is stopping me is whether or not it is the right choice in terms of bass response and midrange sound. Their sub $200 price point makes them a better choice than anything below $200, I'm pretty sure they hold their own in the $300+ category and they are well known for their comfort. The only other choice that could stand in my way at this point is the much more expensive D2000 and if I'm convinced that they offer a better sound it only means that it'll be months before I buy another headphone.

I'd love to have some back and forth, but I'll probably be busy with my studies so my responses might be few and far between(not that this thread will be booming with activity at this time of the night). My tastes in music cover nearly the entire spectrum and I need them to fulfill the purpose of my "warm" cans. I plan on using my Onkyo receiver to power my phones until I can amass the necessary funds for an amp and Dac(if necessary).

Receiver for reference:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEDQR6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What is the comparison between these two phones?

This thread and all of you will be the death of my wallet

Ashhong

Dipindots said:
In that case, I'll be looking into buying an E7. Right now I love the sound of my TMA-1's, having any sort of an improvement will be well worth the money :p

I'm slowly becoming more of a music snob/audiophile though. like when I go running and I have my lame earphones in... i'm all like "WTF, WHERE'S THE BASS. THAT WAS THE HIGH HAT? THE FUCK WAS THAT?!" hahaha

I dont know how easy it would be to run with the E7, since its a bit bigger. The E5's bass booster does an ok job, especially if you pair it with an equalizer on your phone/mp3 player. I know nothing about amps, or any of this music stuff in general though
KuGsj.gif

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
I dont know how easy it would be to run with the E7, since its a bit bigger. The E5's bass booster does an ok job, especially if you pair it with an equalizer on your phone/mp3 player. I know nothing about amps, or any of this music stuff in general though
KuGsj.gif

Running? Yeah fuck that. I've never listened to music while running, although I want to get an ipod shuffle to do so.

Alucrid said:
Running? Yeah fuck that. I've never listened to music while running, although I want to get an ipod shuffle to do so.
Microphonics would be a total bitch, so yeah, one of the few times I'd begrudgingly use the stock ibuds like some peasant lol

Alucrid

Banned
Microphonics would be a total bitch, so yeah, one of the few times I'd begrudgingly use the stock ibuds like some peasant lol

I don't want to ruin my IEMs with my sweat. :(

Wait, I have a pair of MEEs that I never use.

But running with an E7? That's just crazy. Dedicated. But crazy. Like, pebble on wires crazy.

Alucrid said:
I don't want to ruin my IEMs with my sweat. :(

Wait, I have a pair of MEEs that I never use.

But running with an E7? That's just crazy. Dedicated. But crazy. Like, pebble on wires crazy.
lulz. Running with a portable amp? I think the concept of a "portable" amp is crazy in itself but whatevs. I think the ME6 is a really intriguing looking little IEM. It actually looks an expensive one. Even has the wax loop. I wonder how it is for microphonics though.

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
what are microphonics?

Noise from the cable moving.

lulz. Running with a portable amp? I think the concept of a "portable" amp is crazy in itself but whatevs. I think the ME6 is a really intriguing looking little IEM. It actually looks an expensive one. Even has the wax loop. I wonder how it is for microphonics though.

Someone needs to do EXTREME testing on IEMs and see how well they perform during ten mile runs. :lol

HiResDes said:
don't you have the CX300's you should know firsthand, lulz...Cord noise

Yes...those are the fucking devil of microphonics.

KJTB

Ashhong said:
KuGsj.gif

no no no, I won't be bringing the amp while running hahaha

Alucrid

Banned
Dipindots said:
no no no, I won't be bringing the amp while running hahaha

We need to design some sort of harness to put on that can carry your mp3 player, portable dac and portable amp to wear while running and then sell them to audiophiles.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
don't you have the CX300's you should know firsthand, lulz...Cord noise

ah that....yes, I hate that very much
KuGsj.gif

Alucrid said:
We need to design some sort of harness to put on that can carry your mp3 player, portable dac and portable amp to wear while running and then sell them to audiophiles.

Put the mp3 player on one armband, with the amp above or below it on another armband, wire it all the way behind your back to the other arm where the DAC would be held on by another armband lol

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
ah that....yes, I hate that very much
KuGsj.gif

Put the mp3 player on one armband, with the amp above or below it on another armband, wire it all the way behind your back to the other arm where the DAC would be held on by another armband lol

I was thinking more of like one of those warehouse worker belt thangs.

Was tired of CONSTANTLY having buds in my ears (currently deployed so it's all I've had due to portability), so decided I'd had enough and wanted some cans. Went ahead with the AudioTechnica M50.

Let you know how it goes when I receive them!

HiResDes

That's why I only recommend M50's really, because they seem like such a safe pick for everyone...And if somebody does end up dissing them, I'll have twenty people backing me up even though I use DT770's. LULZ

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
That's why I only recommend M50's really, because they seem like such a safe pick for everyone...And if somebody does end up dissing them, I'll have twenty people backing me up even though I use DT770's. LULZ

SMUGFACE

Er

TROLLFACE

Er...

SMROLLFACE

HiResDes said:
That's why I only recommend M50's really, because they seem like such a safe pick everyone...And if somebody does end up dissing them, I'll have twenty people backing me up even though I use DT770's. LULZ
When I first got mine, I really didn't care for them. They sounded all muddy and I actually felt kind of ill after a few hours. But after several days all that cleared up. I don't find myself blown away by them, but as long as you let them break in, they're an easy recommendation for sure.

HiResDes

darkwing said:
is the Senns HD598 really that better from the HD595, i mean the 595s are going cheap right now..
No not worth twice the price, if you're gonna spend that much you might as well cop some HD600's which are a little over $300 right now...Sennheiser will be forced to drop the price eventually if this keeps up

Top Bottom