• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I got my M50's in the mail the other day. Very pleased with them. However the jack won't fit properly in my laptop, because of some little rim on the laptop audio plug... So I can only use them on my desktop.

Alucrid

Banned
SUBZERO-08 said:
I got my M50's in the mail the other day. Very pleased with them. However the jack won't fit properly in my laptop, because of some little rim on the laptop audio plug... So I can only use them on my desktop.

Maybe get a small 3.5 extension cord?

darkwing

HiResDes said:
No not worth twice the price, if you're gonna spend that much you might as well cop some HD600's which are a little over $300 right now...Sennheiser will be forced to drop the price eventually if this keeps up

cool, thanks for the advice

Salazar

lol.

The company from whom I bought my Grados sent me a second pair.

I did the right thing and phoned them, and they had no idea they had done it.

HiResDes said:
No not worth twice the price, if you're gonna spend that much you might as well cop some HD600's which are a little over $300 right now...Sennheiser will be forced to drop the price eventually if this keeps up
Wat. This is exactly why I buy stuff off of Headfi. I've seen the HD650 for $250 tons of times there.

Subzero - it doesn't matter. Just pick up any old cable.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Salazar said:
lol.

Honestly if that happened to me i would of kept it ;p

Hopefully they reward your honesty with a gift or something.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
lol.

What company is this? Maybe it can happen again
KuGsj.gif

1stStrike

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I guess no one has much experience with the DT-990 and Denon D2000...

Anybody here who can compare the M50 and DT-990?

Huh? I wore the D2000's on my head for well over a year. Ask me anything you want about em.

1stStrike said:
Huh? I wore the D2000's on my head for well over a year. Ask me anything you want about em.
I just wanted to get an idea of it's midrange, bass and soundstage compared to other headphone. I already know the Beyers are among the most comfortable headphones so there ain't much to talk about there.

I also wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should pass up on the DT-990 when they are nearly half the price they used to be for the D2000 which I would have to pick up some time down the road. The performance of the D2000 would have to be phenomenal so I'm erring towards the Beyers at this point.

Yasae

Banned
I've generally heard good things about the M50s, but they also have leather rests. Those will crack from oil on the skin and give you a rash if you wear them often (several hours a day.) Maybe we should get some recommendations on preventative care. We're not talking about cheap cans @ $150 a pop.

Kyaw

Kyaw said:
Hey guys, just wanted to ask what would be a significant upgrade from a Audio Technica AD-700 for around £250-300?

I mainly listen to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Blackfield, Porcupine Tree and other rock/psychedelic stuff. Sometimes i listen to drum and bass and some Daft Punk style stuff.

Anyone? :(

Jarmel

Banned
Listening to my RS-1s as I'm overseas and I forgot how good these are. No need for an amp or dac, they sound great plugged into my MBP.

Waikis

I am using Hd800 and I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to either DNA sonett or Zana Deux. can you guys give me any recommendation over which one I should use?

swoon

Waikis said:
I am using Hd800 and I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to either DNA sonett or Zana Deux. can you guys give me any recommendation over which one I should use?

I own a Zana Deux and I've borrowed a HD800 on several occasions and it's the best i've heard it (i haven't heard it on the DNA Sonett sadly). the zd fills out the body really nicely and creates a really nice outside of a head image.

OT: I'm selling my ZD and tubes to upgrade to the new EC shoot me a PM for pix and gaf-discount.

Waikis

swoon said:
I own a Zana Deux and I've borrowed a HD800 on several occasions and it's the best i've heard it (i haven't heard it on the DNA Sonett sadly). the zd fills out the body really nicely and creates a really nice outside of a head image.

OT: I'm selling my ZD and tubes to upgrade to the new EC shoot me a PM for pix and gaf-discount.

holy crap pmed!

D23

what are some good headphones for EDM (electronic) music? preferably with a big bass that will shake my head and less than $100..

i know of the sony xb700.. can anyone here recommend something else maybe?

Ark

I need some portable headphones. Not IEM's, headphones, can anyone recommend any? I'm a basshead, listen to a lot of electronic music.

SolarPowered said:
I just wanted to get an idea of it's midrange, bass and soundstage compared to other headphone. I already know the Beyers are among the most comfortable headphones so there ain't much to talk about there.

I also wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should pass up on the DT-990 when they are nearly half the price they used to be for the D2000 which I would have to pick up some time down the road. The performance of the D2000 would have to be phenomenal so I'm erring towards the Beyers at this point.

The D2000's are great headphones, had them since christmas 2010.

FoxSpirit

Okay, ordered a Matrix Mini-i.

Hope it will ship soon. Very curious, will be mostly used as a DAC for everything. Good sound from every source *drools*

Kyaw

Ark said:
I need some portable headphones. Not IEM's, headphones, can anyone recommend any? I'm a basshead, listen to a lot of electronic music.

Audio Technica M-50s?

What kind of amp would i need to drive the AKG K702s?
What's the difference between K701s and K702s? The K701 looks so much more sexier.

Kyaw said:
Audio Technica M-50s?

What kind of amp would i need to drive the AKG K702s?
What's the difference between K701s and K702s? The K701 looks so much more sexier.
You'd probably want a warmer sounding amp to balance out the K701's cold sound sig. The 701 and 702 are basically the same phones. The 702 has a detachable cable and a different color, that's about it.

Ark

On wim, does anyone know how the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ranks up against the D2000's? I'm considering purchasing a pair.

Kyaw

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
You'd probably want a warmer sounding amp to balance out the K701's cold sound sig. The 701 and 702 are basically the same phones. The 702 has a detachable cable and a different color, that's about it.

Any recommendations? I really have no idea about amps outside of Fiios amps.

@ Ark, Wouldn't the D2000s be better or similar as the DT770s?
The DT770 250ohm version would require a good amp, would it not?
I hear that DT770s are lighter than D2000s though.

Ark

Kyaw said:
@ Ark, Wouldn't the D2000s be better or similar as the DT770s?
The DT770 250ohm version would require a good amp, would it not?
I hear that DT770s are lighter than D2000s though.

I know they're similar, it's part of the reason I want to try them out.

I will eventually buy an E7, I just haven't gotten around to it for the last 5 weeks.

besiktas1

Well it turns out my headphones were delivered yesterday... to my neighbour. But they got a mail slip saying the package was too big so it's gone back to the Royal mail.... :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ark said:

Basshead = AIAIAI TMA-1, unless $199 makes you blink.

HiResDes

Ark said:
On wim, does anyone know how the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ranks up against the D2000's? I'm considering purchasing a pair.
D2000's are better, but c'mon at this point they're not even in the same price range.

besiktas1

After waiting an hour at the Royal mail depot, it turns out they don't know what the driver did with my headphones. I know have to chase shit up on Monday. Pissed me off well bad. Great way to start the day.

Ark

besiktas1 said:
After waiting an hour at the Royal mail depot, it turns out they don't know what the driver did with my headphones. I know have to chase shit up on Monday. Pissed me off well bad. Great way to start the day.

What headphones were they if you don't mind me asking?

I just got my M50 and I'm pretty impressed with the initial listening experience. They've got great separation on the low end which makes for some really beautiful guitar twangs, electronic signals and cello performances. The impact of the bass is probably the weaker point for this headphone so far, but it holds some promise when I plug it into my receiver. It feels as if an amp will be necessary to get the most out of my classical music as opposed to other genres like electronic and rock.

The headphone itself is a real beauty and the cups fit perfectly over both of my ears without any discomfort. A real test for these headphones was when I lent them to my cousin so that he could play some Rockband with my receiver and headphones. He immediately asked me how much they cost and told me he would buy them IMMEDIATELY once I said $120. He agreed that the beats don't even compare to these for the price haha.
HiResDes said:
D2000's are better, but c'mon at this point they're not even in the same price range.
Yeah, the DT-990 are an absolute steal at $170. I ordered mine on Friday before leaving to watch Thor at the movies.

Fake Edit: Most of the stuff posted above is what I wanted to get my off my chest immediately. The portion below is what I'm picking up from my listening experience with the headphone now that I've woken up.

I've been burning them in practically every minute since I got them(about 16 hours so far) and the bass has definitely grown on me. A lot of new details that I've never heard in my music are appearing now and it's really impressing me. Rap music has some real impact now and certain little details like foot tapping and breathing are appearing in songs that I've listened to dozens if not hundreds of times with my Senn 202, Shure E530, and Grado SR80. I can't wait to burn them in further and I can't wait until the Beyers arrive(I told my cousin to hold on the M50 purchase until these arrive).

Zeth

So I've had my Grado SR225i for a few months now and I'm loving them. Using them with a PA2V2 out of my MBP and iPhone w/ LOD.

Now I'm looking for IEMs for use with the iPhone on the go, preferably unamped. I have no IEM experience outside Sansa and Apple pack-ins. I'm trying to spend between 100-200 but bang:buck is important. How are Monster's IEMs? They're slightly outside my range but I've read a lot of good stuff about the Pro Coppers. Worried about the seal/fit issues many people have though.

Ark

besiktas1 said:
Tma-1... Why are you the driver who stole them :mad:.... :(

I don't even know how to drive, haha.

I've just discovered that the D2000's are spectacularly good for listening to Jazz with.

Zeth said:
So I've had my Grado SR225i for a few months now and I'm loving them. Using them with a PA2V2 out of my MBP and iPhone w/ LOD.

Now I'm looking for IEMs for use with the iPhone on the go, preferably unamped. I have no IEM experience outside Sansa and Apple pack-ins. I'm trying to spend between 100-200 but bang:buck is important. How are Monster's IEMs? They're slightly outside my range but I've read a lot of good stuff about the Pro Coppers. Worried about the seal/fit issues many people have though.
I haven't used more expensive ones, but I've been very pleased with the Klipsch Image S4 at $80.

Amazon link

Ark said:
I don't even know how to drive, haha.

I've just discovered that the D2000's are spectacularly good for listening to Jazz with.
What setup are you using with the D2000? I have a pair myself.
Foobar2k, headroom micro dac, pa2v2, d2000. Trying to get a proper desktop amp at the moment.

Kyaw

Kyaw said:
Any recommendations? I really have no idea about amps outside of Fiios amps.

So anyone..?

Fake edit: I am using a 5.1 receiver as a DAC and an amp. Is this a good idea?

Top Bottom