• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

650s are warmer and less analytical with superior bass...I don't think they are quite as detailed as the AKGs though, but this is like comparing a TVR to an Aston Martin.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
What was your question? Has it been answered? If not let me know, it seems to have been lost in the fray.
He's looking for a ~$100 IEM.

95% of my listening is Hip-Hop. This is with the RE-ZERO, which is not supposed to be a basshead IEM, but I find its delivery to be beautiful with some EQ tweaking and bass boost applied.

I wouldn't recommend it to the average basshead though.

The RE-ZERO is still blowing me away though. Damn. I hear the smallest sounds in my music, and feel like someone is calling me.

Pilgor

HiResDes said:
650s are warmer and less analytical with superior bass...I don't think they are quite as detailed as the AKGs though, but this is like comparing a TVR to an Aston Martin.

Also the 555 and 595's were recently updated and discontinued, any idea if the same will happen with the 650's sometime soon?

Does anyone know of a decent underwater mp3/headphone combo? I'm looking for something to spruce up my lap swimming and the reviews for quite a few of the products are pretty varied. The SwimMan ones seem pretty good, if a bit too pricey. Any other suggestions?

Alucrid

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
Does anyone know of a decent underwater mp3/headphone combo? I'm looking for something to spruce up my lap swimming and the reviews for quite a few of the products are pretty varied. The SwimMan ones seem pretty good, if a bit too pricey. Any other suggestions?

Crazy, I've never thought of that. Whenever I do laps I just pass the time thinking about how great it's going to be when I'm done.

HiResDes

pistolpete2940 said:
Sherwood SE-777 or Brainwavz M2 or Fischer Audio Eterna's (Rev.1) if you can find them...Monster Turbines would be my third choice for you.

@Shaska if you swim competitively wouldn't the added weight be a concern?

LQX

I have to wonder if Headphone are becoming the next HDMI, RCA cables ect where we are thinking more expensive always equals better. Its kind of disheartening to see the prices of headphones going up instead of down and many embracing it.

Alucrid said:
Crazy, I've never thought of that. Whenever I do laps I just pass the time thinking about how great it's going to be when I'm done.
:lol This happens to me as well. I just try to focus on not drowning for an hour, but having something to listen to in addition to that would be a pretty nice change.

HiResDes said:
@Shaska if you swim competitively wouldn't the added weight be a concern?
I just swim to stay in shape, so whatever extra weight this adds won't be bothering me.

poweld

LQX said:
I have to wonder if Headphone are becoming the next HDMI, RCA cables ect where we are thinking more expensive always equals better. Its kind of disheartening to see the prices of headphones going up instead of down and many embracing it.
Right, and I can't believe Ferrari's automobiles cost so much more than Ford's.

What is this world coming to?

HiResDes

LQX said:

The prices of headphones are not really going up, especially in terms of price/quality ratio.

I'm still happy with the Dre Beats Studios I bought a few months ago. They may be overpriced, but they sound great to me. I use 'em for my ipod, my analogue synth, and my turntables. I've played PC games with them too, they're cool.

Eric WK

LQX said:

Really? You honestly don't understand the difference between headphones and HDMI cables?

LCfiner

LQX said:

you can get great quality headphones for <$100 these days and that wasn't always the case.

Just because Monster Beats Studios are 300 bucks, doesn't mean prices for all cans are going up.

Reposting to see if someone can help me out:

FromTheFuture said:
I need some suggestions on some earphones for use with my iPhone. I'm looking for:

• Non-IEM earbuds
  • iPhone compatible microphone and remote
  • 50$ USD or less
Anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know if the Yuin PK3's can be taken apart as to mod them to the official iPhone headset?

HiResDes

Whoompthereitis said:
I'm still happy with the Dre Beats Studios I bought a few months ago. They may be overpriced, but they sound great to me. I use 'em for my ipod, my analogue synth, and my turntables. I've played PC games with them too, they're cool.
They're not bad at all...They are comfortable, offer good bass (although I think XB500's dismantle them), are nice to look at, and have decent build quality. And I think most people aren't going to notice their lack of detail, especially those that listen to hip-hop/rap exclusively. They would be great budget headphones fi they were at a budget price. However, the fact that you can get reference headphones for the same price is quite ridiculous :lol

Alucrid

Banned
LQX said:

Uh, expensive headphones have been around for a while. Stax SR-007 have been around for 12 years, and their catalog goes back to the 60s, the HE60s were made in the early 90s iirc. Perhaps something can be said for expensive headphones be more...I hate this word...but 'mainstream' since a figure such as Dr. Dre has his own line of them. But that's really it.

LCfiner

Thanks a lot guys. They're probably gonna be out of stock now knowing my luck (have to buy in-store) but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :lol

I need some earbuds. Need 'em for the treadmill, use with an ipod mostly.

Thing is, 95% or earbuds don't fit me. All those ones that are supposed to fit into your ear always fall out.

Is there anything that's high-end (I want my shit to sound good) that has the same form factor as the standard Apple Ipod headphones? I want something like that but better....

HiResDes

Whoompthereitis said:

Thing is, 95% or earbuds don't fit me. All those ones that are supposed to fit into your ear always fall out.

Is there anything that's high-end (I want my shit to sound good) that has the same form factor as the standard Apple Ipod headphones? I want something like that but better....

So you want earbuds, not in-ears?

poweld

Whoompthereitis said:

Yup, I have the same problem. This is what I got a few months back and they're exactly what I'd wanted: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035JKJEU/ref=oss_product

Oh shit, nice OP.

Yeah, I'm looking for high-end earbuds. What's the best out there?

Poweld, those Sennheisers look good. Why are they so reasonably priced? Are they really that great?

poweld

Whoompthereitis said:
Oh shit, nice OP.

Yeah, I'm looking for high-end earbuds. What's the best out there?

Poweld, those Sennheisers look good. Why are they so reasonably priced? Are they really that great?
It seems like headphone developers have shied away from earbuds in general, and for good reason. The seal produced by IEMs means they can be almost sure of how the headphones will sound when inserted into your ear, as well as requiring the set to push far less air overall to produce the desired sound.

I love my studio grade gear, but if I'm at the gym or just listening to podcasts, these puppies sound just fine. They're a cut above the iPod buds for sure. Just don't use the volume adjustment on the wire (I wish it didn't have this feature, and even considered recabling it just to bypass this). The construction on them is solid, too, for earbuds.

HiResDes

If you want earbuds Whoomp check out the Yuin PK3's in the OP. However I must say that finding the right fit in an IEM is wholly superior, but it takes a little effort. You just have to find the right size and shape for you ear, maybe even checking out some foam tips like the Complys or the hybrid silicone tips that Sony sells.

poweld

HiResDes said:
It was just another suggestion dude...
That's all I ask. Sorry, I may be a little touchy today. Work. Grr.

Need my AKG702's and a glass of Maker's Mark to set me right.

1stStrike

Banned
poweld said:
Dismissive, much?

021406_rage.jpg

HiResDes said:
It was just another suggestion dude...

Photo+on+2010-11-16+at+22.35+%25234.jpg

swoon

Pilgor said:

Is the sound signature different enough to warrant this? I like the AKG's, but even when amped, they can be on the brighter side.

I have both of these and I think they are both worth having around depending on what you are listening to and what amps you are using. They both also scale well with higher priced amps and the 650s especially become less dark and more balanced sounding with a nice amp.

the beyer 880 and higher end grados like the rs-1 kinda of split the difference. the he-5le kinda split the difference but i wouldn't recommend those for other reasons.

Darkatomz

MrBig said:
And is there anything similar I could be doing with the zune software?
No, Zune software does not have a 10-band equalizer.

Some of the more popular media players I can think of that have a 10-band EQ would be:
-iTunes
-WMP
-VLC
-foobar 2000

1stStrike

Banned
AvidNobody said:
My M50s came in!!!!

This is insane! Hahaha. Picking up stuff I've never heard before!

It's pretty awesome isn't it? You're just like "wait a minute, there were fucking cymbals in this song?" :lol

Alucrid

Banned
1stStrike said:
It's pretty awesome isn't it? You're just like "wait a minute, there were fucking cymbals in this song?" :lol

Mine was more like, "No...I won't murder my family. GET OUT OF MY HEAD."

Frostburn

Got a pair of Grado SR80i's for Christmas and I love them with my iPod un-amped. Any semi-cheap amps worth buying for these cans or should I just use them as is? I'm looking for a "Starter" amp either way to use for my desktop system (Used or new) what would be a good all-around beginner amp that will actually give me better sound? I also have the Sennheiser PC 360 as my computer headset for gaming and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great quality headset.

Top Bottom