• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

Frostburn said:
Got a pair of Grado SR80i's for Christmas and I love them with my iPod un-amped. Any semi-cheap amps worth buying for these cans or should I just use them as is? I'm looking for a "Starter" amp either way to use for my desktop system (Used or new) what would be a good all-around beginner amp that will actually give me better sound? I also have the Sennheiser PC 360 as my computer headset for gaming and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great quality headset.

I don't have one yet but should be able to talk about the FiiO E7 amp/dac combo in a couple weeks. Should be great for the desktop since it allows you to connect directly to the USB port for the digital audio. and it has a battery so you can take it on the road if you like.

the Nuforce uDAC 2 is also well looked upon but is pricier. unlike the E7, this is not portable. there's no battery.

a cheap amp, mainly for portable use, is the FiiO E5. I do have one of these. works quite well and there's a little bass boost feature for headphones that are slightly lacking in that area (like my AD700s). but it's not a DAC which is better suited for desktop use and it's not exactly very powerful, either.

Ashhong said:
Man...fucking UPS is sooooooooo slow

Yeah, mine had been sitting less than an hour away for the past like week.

But don't worry, the payoff is awesome.
Listening to Lucky Shiner (lossless) on these and I'm jizzing all over the place, but being careful not to get any on the phones.

Thanks for recommending guys! My pickup of 2011 heh.

HiResDes

Frostburn said:
Got a pair of Grado SR80i's for Christmas and I love them with my iPod un-amped. Any semi-cheap amps worth buying for these cans or should I just use them as is? I'm looking for a "Starter" amp either way to use for my desktop system (Used or new) what would be a good all-around beginner amp that will actually give me better sound? I also have the Sennheiser PC 360 as my computer headset for gaming and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great quality headset.
They are only 32OHMs so you don't really need anything with those particular headphones...But LC gave some great suggestions.

Oh man, I purchased some ATH-M50's last week, and Amazon listed it to deliver on the 6th. I was wondering why it would take so long, but I didn't bother. Being the OCD bastard that I am, I checked my Amazon account, only to find that my M50's were delivered. Sitting outside, on my porch at the same moment I was wishing they were here. YES!

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
Oh man, I purchased some ATH-M50's last week, and Amazon listed it to deliver on the 6th. I was wondering why it would take so long, but I didn't bother. Being the OCD bastard that I am, I checked my Amazon account, only to find that my M50's were delivered. Sitting outside, on my porch at the same moment I was wishing they were here. YES!

I hate you all. What seller did you buy from?

Ceres

Banned
Finally ordered some replacement Comply tips for my PFEs. Been missing using those.

The coupon headfi can be used on the site. Works with any tips for 10% off.

Ashhong said:
I hate you all. What seller did you buy from?
Ordered mine from Amazon, seller Ace Photo Digital. Placed my order on Friday, got it today :D

Also, has anyone gotten those hooks from Home Depot/Lowes? I was planning to pick one up later this week, but since my headphones have arrived early, I need one now. Any word on which is nicer?

MrBig

FromTheFuture said:
Ordered mine from Amazon, seller Ace Photo Digital. Placed my order on Friday, got it today :D
I ordered from them as well so hopefully they'll arrive early. :D
May have just been because you were close to their shipping center though

LCfiner

I'm kinda bored so I figure I'll write up impressions on all the headphones and earphones I've owned the last 5 or so years. Some of them might be of interest to people.

disclaimer: I am not an audiophile. I cannot tell the difference between 256 kbps AAC and a lossless CD rip. most of the comments will be concerning sound coloration (bass heavy, strong treble, etc) and comfort.

first up, IEMs.

For around a year or so, I was really into trying to get the best IEM to listen to stuff at work. I eventually sold them all (except for a cheap Apple pair) as they blocked so much external noise, I couldn't hear my phone ring at my desk and that was just untenable. I also got tired of having them stuck in my head for so long. felt kinda congested with them blocking my ears so completely. I'm now pretty much an over-the-head headphone guy

Ultimate Ears triple Fi 10. My first super duper IEMs. these are super clear. you can hear every little detail like slight breath intakes when a singer begins a verse or the fingers sliding along a guitar neck. I noticed that these were very neutral and the bass wasn't exaggerated. treble was very, very precise and kinda in your face. worst part about them is their shape. they stick straight out of your ear and make you look like a goofy Stargate cast reject. sold these to get...

Westone 3: the best I have ever heard. I preferred these to the triple.fi's since they have a little more bass and music with heavy guitars or strong basslines felt more fun and lively. but they weren't bass heavy to the point of obscuring vocals or any of the higher frequencies. kinda hurt to sell them but I just couldn't use them at work since they isolated so well and I preferred to use headphones at home for comfort.

Apple dual driver in ear earphones: Got these with some gift cards and, really, they're not bad if you can get 'em for a good price. they're detailed and nothing sounds mushed together like you get with cheap-o buds. this is the pair i use now when I have to use IEMs. the worst part about them is that they're very clinical to my taste and there's no damn bass at all. avoid these if you like any thump in your music.

V-Moda Vibe Duo earphones. ugh. did not like these. got them years and years ago and it was a mistake. they have bass but it's all muddy and there's no clarity to anything in the higher frequencies. kinda like the exact opposite to the new apple ones I have.

Headphones.

Audio Technica ANC-7: these use a battery for active noise canceling. they do a pretty good job at that and I was able to use them at home to block out noise from a nearby window air conditioner. Sound was quite good but didn't really blow me away (copyright IGN). Ultimately, I sold them for comfort reasons. they were just too tight around the head.

Audio technica AD700: open cans for less than 100 that sound just great. I really like these. sooo comfy. soft velour pads. bigass cups that are super soft and they don't put pressure on your head. they're lacking in bass by default but if you pair them with a warm amp they fill in nicely and the bass has some presence and a leetle kick. I think these are some of the best pairs you can get for the price. there's a great soundstage where the sound really feels like it's coming from all around you instead of being drilled into your brain. downside is that they're for private listening only since they leak like a sieve and the purple/ beige color scheme might draw some weird looks (if you care about that)

Audio Technica ESW9: closed, portable cans with wood cups. the most beautiful headphones I have owned but I'm sucker for dark wood and leather. they sound great too. I prefer the sound of these compared to the AD700 since the bass is much more present and there's a more lush low-midrange that feels more prominent. however, I'm glad I paid 200 for these and not their original price of 350. they're not that much better than the cheaper AD700s.

I just got these last week and I've been listening to a couple albums, High Violet by The National and Brothers by The Black Keys and I think these shine on them. the deep, low vocals on High Violet and the dirty-ass, crunchy guitars on Brothers sound amazing. Very rich sound with a real prominent bottom end.

aaand, that's it. I'm considering getting some low end Grados as a counterpoint to the ESW9s later this year. and maybe next year I'll try some bass heavy Dt770s but I want to avoid the trap of buying a million headphones instead of just getting music...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
This thread is giving me a serious case of upgraditis! Damn yooou. Also - I feel compelled to share this Grado PS1000 sighting I spotted in an illustration book:

24wxe0l.jpg

:D

HiResDes

Dude I had Vibes too back in the day, I think they were my first IEM over $50. I remember the bass being pretty good, but I think that was all that mattered to me back then :lol

In unrelated headphone nostalgia, my friend just broke the old pair of PX100s I gave to him five years ago.

LCfiner

HiResDes said:
Dude I had Duo's too back in the day, I think they were my first IEM over $50. I remember the bass being pretty good, but I think that was all that mattered to me back then :lol

they have bass quantity out the wazoo but no bass quality. :D

I should take them out of the drawer and see how they compare to the new ESW9s in the bass department.

edit:

Holy crap. my memory was not wrong. I just listened to a couple bass heavy tracks from Brothers: "She's Long Gone" and "Black Mud". the Vibe Duos were boomy as hell and it was harder to hear actual hits of kick drums or bass notes. it was just bass soup.

meanwhile, the ESW9s were able to resolve actual instrument detail from those low frequencies. it wasn't as overpowering as the vibe duos but I could tell when a drum hit had taken place instead of it just being a constant, rolling boomcloud in my head.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Dude I had Vibes too back in the day, I think they were my first IEM over $50. I remember the bass being pretty good, but I think that was all that mattered to me back then :lol

In unrelated headphone nostalgia, my friend just broke the old pair of PX100s I gave to him five years ago.

Res, what kinda cans/amp you using?

HiResDes

I although I have a few cans, I listen to my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro's (80OHM) the most by far...And I merely have a FiiO E7, but I plan on getting a FiiO E9 very soon.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:

Also, has anyone gotten those hooks from Home Depot/Lowes? I was planning to pick one up later this week, but since my headphones have arrived early, I need one now. Any word on which is nicer?

I'm guessing you are on the East Coast? Or at least near it?

I bought both. I like the Home Depot one, but I feel like it will make a small indentation in the headband. Also, it's not very balanced at all when theres nothing on top.

The Lowes one is nice but the problem is its quite a bit bigger. Can't decide...

HiResDes

LCfiner said:
they have bass quantity out the wazoo but no bass quality. :D

I should take them out of the drawer and see how they compare to the new ESW9s in the bass department.

Mine broke within a few months anyway, I remember it was like 5 years ago or whenever they first debuted.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Enron said:
There's a guy 4 cubes down from me that rocks grado sr60s at his desk. He looks like an idiot.
Something like that, or M50 would not look odd in my office at all though. Lots of people there wear over the ear headphones for the work they're doing (AV stuff). Still, I think something like A700 would look excessively huge...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I'm planning on upgrading from D2000s to D7000s in a few months. What amp would you guys look at? This would be for office use, non-tube I'd think because it's in an office. Money no object. Give me ideas, folks.

Extollere said:
This thread is giving me a serious case of upgraditis! Damn yooou. Also - I feel compelled to share this Grado PS1000 sighting I spotted in an illustration book:

24wxe0l.jpg

:D
Anime girls with headphones is like the coolest thing ever [/nerd]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyone have a Benchmark DAC1 PRE?

I was planning on getting one for my small home studio and was wondering how it functions has a headphone amp (like, literally, how you work it) as it seems to get universal acclaim on the DAC preamp side of things.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
I although I have a few cans, I listen to my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro's (80OHM) the most by far...And I merely have a FiiO E7, but I plan on getting a FiiO E9 very soon.

I was actually looking at a beyer next. You like it? I figure our tastes are probably fairly close, music wise :lol (I'm on 595s right now. I've got a little cMoy but I mostly run them through my receiver)

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
I was actually looking at a beyer next. You like it? I figure our tastes are probably fairly close, music wise :lol (I'm on 595s right now. I've got a little cMoy but I mostly run them through my receiver)

I'm in love with them, they are comfy as shit, but they are quite bass heavy...I'm a closet bass freak dude. I also find the highs to be quite good, but maybe it's just my ears. I think they do female vocals quite well, although I'm almost certain you'd notice the recessed mids and lackluster soundstage coming from the 595s. You might want to stick with some more open cans. If you don't need isolation then why bother with closed ones, you know? You might as well save up for Sennheiser 650's, then you will certainly be ballin' :lol

Edit: Or you could check out the Beyerdynamic DT 990's they are supposed to be the cat's pajamas as well

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Seems like I only buy sets that no one else here has interest in, so my impressions get little attention.

It's only right that I buy the AIAIAI TMA-1, to continue this trend.

I'm just holding out for a $150 sale to pop up. If anyone spots them around this price, let me know.

HiResDes said:
I think he's listening to Big Boi for the first time with his M50s.

Correct! God, the production on this album really is incredible. There are so many subtle sounds I've never heard before. Good shit.

Don't worry Ashhong, the wait is totally totally worth it.

Enron

Banned
Tokubetsu said:

DT880s or DT990s (if you want a little more bass). You cannot go wrong with either.

Last time i checked, the 990s were 179.99 on amazon. Insane deal.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
I'm in love with them, they are comfy as shit, but they are quite bass heavy...I'm a closet bass freak dude. I also find the highs to be quite good, but maybe it's just my ears. I think they do female vocals quite well, although I'm almost certain you'd notice the recessed mids and lackluster soundstage coming from the 595s. You might want to stick with some more open cans. If you don't need isolation then why bother with closed ones, you know? You might as well save up for Sennheiser 650's, then you will certainly be ballin' :lol

Edit: Or you could check out the Beyerdynamic DT 990's they are supposed to be the cat's pajamas as well

I kinda miss closed cans though, idk. 595s are strictly home use of course but I get annoyed when I'm thinking people can hear what I'm listening to haha. I might just save for the 650s though, we'll see.

Ashhong

AvidNobody said:
Correct! God, the production on this album really is incredible. There are so many subtle sounds I've never heard before. Good shit.

Don't worry Ashhong, the wait is totally totally worth it.

So I'm assuming then that it is more than enough for hip hop? I was worried the bass wouldn't be there

HiResDes

K.Jack said:
Seems like I only buy sets that no one else here has interest in, so my impressions get little attention.

It's only right that I buy the AIAIAI TMA-1, to continue this trend.

I'm just holding out for a $150 sale to pop up. If anyone spots them around this price, let me know.

Dude I want the TMA-1s really bad too, but I was thinking about upgrading my amp setup instead...IDK I'm torn

BTW, K. Jack if I spot them for $150 and they're more than two available I'll let you know man :lol

Wallach

HiResDes said:
Dude I want the TMA-1s really bad too, but I was thinking about upgrading my amp setup instead...IDK I'm torn

BTW, K. Jack if I spot them for $150 and they're more than two available I'll let you know man :lol

If you listen at your computer a lot I would consider grabbing an E9 to go with that E7 before another set of cans.

I still haven't listened to a set of these orthos people are raving about. :(

HiResDes

Dude get out of my head that's exactly what I'm considering. But those TMA-1's are so nice :lol. I'm gonna have to think about it.

BTW, what are these Orthos you speak of? Picture?

Wallach

HiResDes said:
Dude get out of my head that's exactly what I'm considering. But those TMA-1's are so nice :lol. I'm gonna have to think about it.

BTW, what are these Orthos you speak of? Picture?

I mean orthodynamic cans, like the HE-6s:

ADMXM.jpg

Big, heavy expensive fuckers that apparently sound amazing.

HiResDes

Oh yeah those are supposed to be impeccable, I've seen them on head-direct while browsing all the time, but I know they probably require a sophisticated amp setup...Which I currently lack

swoon

The other big ortho the LCD-2 is in your OP also...They just need a speaker amp mostly and the he-6 in particular is the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever worn

HiResDes

Extollere said:
Awesome Anime jpgs
What the fuck is this some amazing fetish that I didn't know about? :lol

Oh shit Swoon while you're here, can you reiterate what amp setup you're using?...Somebody was asking earlier for some higher end stuff.

Ashhong said:
I'm guessing you are on the East Coast? Or at least near it?

I bought both. I like the Home Depot one, but I feel like it will make a small indentation in the headband. Also, it's not very balanced at all when theres nothing on top.

The Lowes one is nice but the problem is its quite a bit bigger. Can't decide...
Yeah, I'm on East Coast. Actually, I think the warehouse is in NY, I'm in NJ so it's right there.

Pick a stand for me Ashhong!!

Enron

Banned
HiResDes said:

Man, i posted some of these pics in the headphone thread like 3 or 4 years ago! I even had beyergirl as my avatar for some time.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
HiResDes said:

Yes - it is. A quick tag search for "headphones" on Danbooru (lol don't go there), reveals 486 results (486 pictures of anime girls wearing headphones).

Tokubetsu

Last thing, looking to buy something to replace my zune earbuds. Don't want or care for plugs. Was looking at those 60-80 dollar range Grados. Any advice? For the record I have a portable amp and I listen to mostly electronic and rap music.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Enron said:
Man, i posted some of these pics in the headphone thread like 3 or 4 years ago! I even had beyergirl as my avatar for some time.

We even got the brand new model of Sennheiser up in this anime!

11kv1qc.jpg

Moe~ HD598, lol :D

Top Bottom