• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I figure if anyone knows it, it would be in the headphone thread.

Is there any way I can get digital optical out on my Macbook Pro? (for my headphone amp)

Tokubetsu

Tokubetsu said:
Last thing, looking to buy something to replace my zune earbuds. Don't want or care for plugs. Was looking at those 60-80 dollar range Grados. Any advice? For the record I have a portable amp and I listen to mostly electronic and rap music.

For the new page yo.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
Last thing, looking to buy something to replace my zune earbuds. Don't want or care for plugs. Was looking at those 60-80 dollar range Grados. Any advice? For the record I have a portable amp and I listen to mostly electronic and rap music.
If you can manage to find the SR80 at that price-range they'd be a great choice I think. If not then maybe go with the PX100's

Enron

Banned
Extollere said:
Yes - it is. A quick tag search for "headphones" on Danbooru (lol don't go there), reveals 486 results (486 pictures of anime girls wearing headphones).

head-fi uncovered the Headphone Musume otabeamdoujinwhatever guy years ago

Headphone + Musume

Careful, some of the links there go to NSFW stuff

He's not the only guy doing this, but is probably the most well-known.

1stStrike

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
So I'm planning on upgrading from D2000s to D7000s in a few months. What amp would you guys look at? This would be for office use, non-tube I'd think because it's in an office. Money no object. Give me ideas, folks.

I recently did the same upgrade. It's definitely worth it, no question about it. If you're interested in going the route I did, then you'd have to hit up my man poweld as he's the one that built mine.

Mine is a non-tube amp with 3 OPAMPS (2x OPA637AP for the L/R channels and 1x OPA627AP for the ground channel), knobs to adjust volume and bass, and it can plugin to any outlet (it's not portable though - you need a regular electric plug to power it). There's also a locking mechanism on the front (1/4" plug) to prevent the plug from being accidentally pulled out of the amp.

The outside is a aluminum Hammond enclosure that's quite sturdy. It can take a beating.

As for the rear, the power switch, power plug and the RCA inputs are there. You can really get just about any kind of inputs on the back that you'd want though so far as I know.

Oh, and a blue LED to top it off (you can also pick just about any color LED you want).

When he built this for me it was $450.00 for everything. I've never regretted once spending a penny on it.

Here's some pics.

The parts:

4391391228_77c94a679e_z.jpg

Insides:

4390623639_44841ed744_z.jpg

PPA:

167884_487574283158_514678158_6016186_131123_n.jpg

167962_487570953158_514678158_6016125_7629271_n.jpg

163762_487574573158_514678158_6016192_3824645_n.jpg

And for good measure :D

D7000's on their "fancy" hook :)

166217_487575053158_514678158_6016201_7773723_n.jpg

Only thing- I'm kinda worried about falling asleep while wearing these, but I always listen to music at night. I guess I'll use my JVC gums at night :lol

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
If you can manage to find the SR80 at that price-range they'd be a great choice I think. If not then maybe go with the PX100's

Yea, this isn't immediate at all so I'll probably go with the sr80

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Enron said:
head-fi uncovered the Headphone Musume otabeamdoujinwhatever guy years ago

Headphone + Musume

Careful, some of the links there go to NSFW stuff

He's not the only guy doing this, but is probably the most well-known.

Yeah, seen em all. Kind of cool, but there are some really nice headphone masamune out there :X Most without clothing, so no links to any of those obviously.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
Yeah, I'm on East Coast. Actually, I think the warehouse is in NY, I'm in NJ so it's right there.

Pick a stand for me Ashhong!!

If you have the space, I recommend the Lowes one. The Home Depot one is pretty narrow where the headband goes in. I put my cheap PC headphones in it and its a very tight fit, I would worry about scratching the headband.

Also the bars on the Lowes ones are angled, so the headband doesnt really rest ON TOP of it, more like on the side, so I dont see any kind of indentations happening.

Only thing is that the HD one looks more like a holder since it has that nice little spot ready for it. I'd just buy both for now. If the M50s fit in the holder easily, maybe go for the HD.

Pilgor

swoon said:
I have both of these and I think they are both worth having around depending on what you are listening to and what amps you are using. They both also scale well with higher priced amps and the 650s especially become less dark and more balanced sounding with a nice amp.

the beyer 880 and higher end grados like the rs-1 kinda of split the difference. the he-5le kinda split the difference but i wouldn't recommend those for other reasons.

I gave the 880's a try, and preferred the K702's for their superior detail.

I am considering picking up the HD650's, but I'm open to any other suggestions for under $400.

Opinions?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
K2Valor said:
I figure if anyone knows it, it would be in the headphone thread.

Is there any way I can get digital optical out on my Macbook Pro? (for my headphone amp)
You need this.

HiResDes said:
Dude I want the TMA-1s really bad too, but I was thinking about upgrading my amp setup instead...IDK I'm torn

BTW, K. Jack if I spot them for $150 and they're more than two available I'll let you know man :lol
I'm holding out for this:

FiiO_E11.png

Ashhong said:
If you have the space, I recommend the Lowes one. The Home Depot one is pretty narrow where the headband goes in. I put my cheap PC headphones in it and its a very tight fit, I would worry about scratching the headband.

Also the bars on the Lowes ones are angled, so the headband doesnt really rest ON TOP of it, more like on the side, so I dont see any kind of indentations happening.

Only thing is that the HD one looks more like a holder since it has that nice little spot ready for it. I'd just buy both for now. If the M50s fit in the holder easily, maybe go for the HD.
Yeah, I was thinking about buying both. Thing is though, I have a (albeit crappy) PC headset that I'd also want to hang up to tidy up my desk. I want the stands to match when all is said and done, but I don't want to have to order 3 or 4 of them. Guess I'll be going with the Lowes one. Is this one right here the one you have? Does it have that foamy stuff around it like in the Head-Fi thread's picture?

Is there such a thing as an "extra-large" triple-flange silicon IEM tip? I got some cheap M6's recently, and feel like the large tips aren't really sealing as well as they should. I have a huge, watermelon-like head, and suspect that my ear canals might be sort of big as well.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
Yeah, I was thinking about buying both. Thing is though, I have a (albeit crappy) PC headset that I'd also want to hang up to tidy up my desk. I want the stands to match when all is said and done, but I don't want to have to order 3 or 4 of them. Guess I'll be going with the Lowes one. Is this one right here the one you have? Does it have that foamy stuff around it like in the Head-Fi thread's picture?

You can probably fit both headsets on one.

Thats the one I have, but it's not exactly foam on it. Like someone said in that thread, it's more of a truck-liner material. It's hard to explain, but it's good enough I think

HiResDes

Alucrid said:
I want specs!

Supposedly it's more of a pure amp than the E7, and will be priced in between the E5 and E7, so maybe I will still jump on the E9 at its current fairly low price point.

Known Specs:

1. Replaceable battery ( compatible with NOKIA BL-5B)
2. working voltage: +/- 4.5V or +/- 6V;
3. Voltage Gain: 10 dB;
4. Volume control: Alps potentionmeter;
5. OP: AD8397;
6. Output power: >150mW;
7. Case: Aluminium alloy!
8. Playtime: 10 Hours!
9. ETA: March, 2011

More:

- E11 consume far more power than E7's amp! so it can drive the low impedance IEM more better! and the sound quality will better than E7 if you use E7 only as an amp!

-at the other hand, the playtime of E7 is about 100 hours, but E11 is only about 10 hours, so we select a mobile phone battery, and you can carry and backup battery and repalce it when the battery is empty!

-The other different is that E11 use potentionmeter, which regard will have better SQ than digital volume control, but it may not as reliable as digital volume control!

-E7 is powered by higher voltage, it means it will have higher output power and dynamic!

-BTW, E11 is not a upgrade or replacement of E7 , because they belong to different kind of products!

-For E7, it have dual usage! and most people had prove it's value both in amp and USB DAC, and with E9, it beome a decent desktop USB/DAC!

-For E11, it will be a good partner with iPod/iPhone, Walkman, and also our new HD portable DAP in the coming soon!

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Supposedly it's more of a pure amp than the E7, and will be priced in between the E5 and E7, so maybe I will still jump on the E9 at its current fairly low price point.

Known Specs:

1. Replaceable battery ( compatible with NOKIA BL-5B)
2. working voltage: +/- 4.5V or +/- 6V;
3. Voltage Gain: 10 dB;
4. Volume control: Alps potentionmeter;
5. OP: AD8397;
6. Output power: >150mW;
7. Case: Aluminium alloy!
8. Playtime: 10 Hours!
9. ETA: March, 2011

Interesting. Perhaps there is a more portable future for me other than the E5 which I never use.

Wallach

Alucrid said:
I want specs!

I don't think they've given us anything but the image already posted so far. We know that it is a pure portable amp (i.e. not a DAC like the E7) and should be priced between the E5 and the E7.

Edit - Where'd you get those specs HiResDes? I hadn't seen 'em.

HiResDes

Wallach said:
I don't think they've given us anything but the image already posted so far. We know that it is a pure portable amp (i.e. not a DAC like the E7) and should be priced between the E5 and the E7.

Edit - Where'd you get those specs HiResDes? I hadn't seen 'em.

...MP4 Nation

Ashhong said:
You can probably fit both headsets on one.

Thats the one I have, but it's not exactly foam on it. Like someone said in that thread, it's more of a truck-liner material. It's hard to explain, but it's good enough I think
I was just making sure it had something around it, because the picture looked like it was just the metal part.

Man, I'll probably just order both at this point and see which one I like better :lol

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
I was just making sure it had something around it, because the picture looked like it was just the metal part.

Man, I'll probably just order both at this point and see which one I like better :lol

You have to order them? I dont know if the one you order online has any padding lol

I think Amazon has them for sale though, I remember a few links in the head-fi thread

Ok, what I want to do is upgrade my AMPitude. Right now I just have a small cheap little amp from Headspace. I honestly don't even remember all the headphones I have. Sennheiser 595, ath a-900, grado sr-80, shure something?, i believe there's something from sony as well, and etymotic iems.

I listen to everything, although recently it's been stuff like Nujabes, Emancipator, Blazo, Five Deez, and that kind of stuff.

I do all of my music listening through my computer. The amp is usb. I am willing to go for a high-endish replacement amp/dac/pre-amp/whatever. I will probably be picking up higher end headphones than what I have soonish.

So I dunno, the budget on the amp stuff is probably up to 800 dollars. I haven't thought too much about what headphones I'll be upgrading to but I'm budgeting 1000 dollars for that, so feel free to give advice on those.

This is at home so open closed doesn't particularly matter but I really prefer ones that completely cover the ears, not resting on top of them.

SleazyC

Wormdundee said:
Ok, what I want to do is upgrade my AMPitude. Right now I just have a small cheap little amp from Headspace. I honestly don't even remember all the headphones I have. Sennheiser 595, ath a-900, grado sr-80, shure something?, i believe there's something from sony as well, and etymotic iems.

I listen to everything, although recently it's been stuff like Nujabes, Emancipator, Blazo, Five Deez, and that kind of stuff.

I do all of my music listening through my computer. The amp is usb. I am willing to go for a high-endish replacement amp/dac/pre-amp/whatever. I will probably be picking up higher end headphones than what I have soonish.

So I dunno, the budget on the amp stuff is probably up to 800 dollars. I haven't thought too much about what headphones I'll be upgrading to but I'm budgeting 1000 dollars for that, so feel free to give advice on those.

This is at home so open closed doesn't particularly matter but I really prefer ones that completely cover the ears, not resting on top of them.
I would suggest picking out a pair of headphones you want before looking at an amp. At the higher end of audio gear the synergy between headphones and amp/dac/source can really being to show. If you choose a pair of headphones you'd like to get it would be easier to get recommendations on audio gear that matches up nicely with it.

EDIT - I would give recommendations on both ends but I haven't plunged into the high-end spectrum yet but am sure some of the posters in this thread can give good recommendations. Baring that head-fi would be the best place to go to.

HiResDes

slidewinder said:
Is there such a thing as an "extra-large" triple-flange silicon IEM tip? I got some cheap M6's recently, and feel like the large tips aren't really sealing as well as they should. I have a huge, watermelon-like head, and suspect that my ear canals might be sort of big as well.

You could try large foam tips, but they will lessen the bass a little and are quite expensive, almost as much as you probably spent on the M6's.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
E11 looks awesome, but as an RE-ZERO owner, I can't stop wishing that FiiO would make a balanced portable amp.

K.Jack said:
Seems like I only buy sets that no one else here has interest in, so my impressions get little attention.

It's only right that I buy the AIAIAI TMA-1, to continue this trend.

I'm just holding out for a $150 sale to pop up. If anyone spots them around this price, let me know.
I feel the same and I actually OWN the TMA-1s, haha. I love them still. I do wish that I had more experience with other headphones to be able to compare. I originally didn't understand why people were EQing with more treble as I thought the bass was weak. So I moved the treble up for a bit then tried going back and immediately grasped the term of "dark" and bassy. They're not rumbly, but punchy and a bit of fog over the treble is the best way I can explain it.

I'm really starting to consider the E7/E9 combo, but I don't know how much of a difference they'll make on these since they're low impedance.

Also, my straight cable is still not here. :(

SleazyC said:
I would suggest picking out a pair of headphones you want before looking at an amp. At the higher end of audio gear the synergy between headphones and amp/dac/source can really being to show. If you choose a pair of headphones you'd like to get it would be easier to get recommendations on audio gear that matches up nicely with it.

EDIT - I would give recommendations on both ends but I haven't plunged into the high-end spectrum yet but am sure some of the posters in this thread can give good recommendations. Baring that head-fi would be the best place to go to.

Alright, I'll look around at headphone choices tomorrow. I have this urge to get something a little weird, like electrostatic.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so this is all hypothetical, but I like to know stuff in advance...

As I said already, I plan on getting a Benchmark, but that is part of a large project and I won't even be living in this same place when I get it. I may soon be getting plenty in my tax return, and depending on whether or not I take a trip to South Korea this spring, I'm going to pick up a pair of Grado SR325is and a DAC/amp.

Where I live now, headphones are the best option, but a few times a week I'm able to use my Swan M200 MkIII speakers which are self-powered. Because they are, they only need a preamp, so my ultimate goal here would be a DAC with USB to take over my computer output, listen on my Grados, yet also now and then output a preamp signal to my Swans. Budget may end up being anywhere between $100-500, but obviously there is no need to push that if I'll be getting the Benchmark and other fancy equipment as my long-term choice later on.

I guess I'll post this on some audio forums as well...

Wow, I just checked over the last page or so, been a long time since I've looked into portable amps, but those Fiio amps look pretty interesting at such a low price. In fact, I just ordered an E1 to give my headphones some more juice when walking around. I think they're pretty much comparable to the E5s (some say slightly better sounding). Not expecting too much for such a cheap price, but you can't beat the convenience of just plugging into the line-out dock of the iPod, it acting as a remote, and not needing batteries for it.

Ashhong said:
You have to order them? I dont know if the one you order online has any padding lol

I think Amazon has them for sale though, I remember a few links in the head-fi thread
Nah, I was just planning on being lazy and having things shipped to my door. But I need to pick up paint and some stuff at a hardware store anyway, I'll just check up on them then.

hsukardi

Dice said:

As I said already, I plan on getting a Benchmark, but that is part of a large project and I won't even be living in this same place when I get it. I may soon be getting plenty in my tax return, and depending on whether or not I take a trip to South Korea this spring, I'm going to pick up a pair of Grado SR325is and a DAC/amp.

Where I live now, headphones are the best option, but a few times a week I'm able to use my Swan M200 MkIII speakers which are self-powered. Because they are, they only need a preamp, so my ultimate goal here would be a DAC with USB to take over my computer output, listen on my Grados, yet also now and then output a preamp signal to my Swans. Budget may end up being anywhere between $100-500, but obviously there is no need to push that if I'll be getting the Benchmark and other fancy equipment as my long-term choice later on.

I have to ask.. : | Who is the girl in your avatar???

Click

Banned
If money shot out of my ass, I'd buy a JH16 Pro and/or Westone ES5.

But I guess my UE TF10s will have to do for now.

Kerrinck

Can anyone recommend a good portable headphone to use in the subways? It is generally pretty loud so I can barely hear with my stock ones.
Price range of up to 50$ would be best.

poweld

Kerrinck said:
Can anyone recommend a good portable headphone to use in the subways? It is generally pretty loud so I can barely hear with my stock ones.
Price range of up to 50$ would be best.
You'd probably want a set of IEM's, since they are the most effective at blocking outside noise. As for a set at $50 or lower, I'm not quite sure what to recommend. Most worthwhile sets begin at $70 or so.

Hey, what is the name of the style of headphones that come down on your left side only and wrap around your head to reach the right ear? Exactly like the PSP headphones. I used to have a pair with interchangeable flanges, but I've been searching and even audiocubes doesn't have them anymore.

swoon

Dice said:

have you heard the benchmark? that sound isn't for everyone. i'd make sure you hear it before buying. same goes for the grace 901/902 and the da11 especially with the 325s.

Pilgor said:
I gave the 880's a try, and preferred the K702's for their superior detail.

I am considering picking up the HD650's, but I'm open to any other suggestions for under $400.

Opinions?

i like my 650s a lot and they get most of my headtime with the grado hf-2 and 701s sharing other duties. I think the used rs-1 and hf-2 are around ~$400 used and worth checking out. rs-1 is really fast and detailed, but listen first to see if it's not too forward sounding for you (though it's much more balanced than the sr-60s/80s etc). the hf-2 is less detailed but has rounder bass response.

HiResDes said:
Oh shit Swoon while you're here, can you reiterate what amp setup you're using?...Somebody was asking earlier for some higher end stuff.

i have a eddie current zana deux and grados hf-2/senn 650s/akg 701s are my phones

sources:

clearaudio concept turntable and clearaudio nano phono stage
sony ce595 player
red wine audio isabellina hpa (just sold it though)

coming in the mail this week!

stax lambda pro signature with srm-1/mk2
audio g-d dac se3
m2tech hiface evo

Alucrid

Banned
Dice said:

Technically you don't really 'need' a preamp unless you're using multiple sources. An DAC and Amp combo would work well enough and fit better into your price range.

swoon

he's going to feed those swans off the preamp output of the benchmark i think is why he wants the preamp on the dac

Alucrid

Banned
swoon said:
he's going to feed those swans off the preamp output of the benchmark i think is why he wants the preamp on the dac

Oh, never mind I see what he's saying. Check out the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 DAC/preamp combo. It's ~200, has one RCA output, and one RCA tube output, takes USB, coaxial, optical and 1 RCA input, has a pretty good headphone out that should be able to drive most things up to 300ohms (might be higher, can't remember off the top of my head). Should be able to hold you over if you're having trouble saving up for the Benchmark.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm thinking of retiring the Sennheiser HD580s I've had since like 1999, and upgrading to the HD598s. When I bought the 580s, I was lusting after the 600s but as I was 17 I couldn't justify the extra money, and it looks like they're still more than I'd like to spend. Are the 598s going to be an upgrade? I love the 580s, so I would like something that has a similar sound but better. Want something circumaural and open backed (already have a set of D1001s for when I want closed).

I'm also thinking of buying an amp to hook up to my computer. It would be for my D1001s, 580s, and whatever I replace them with. I want something that's under $200, but would prefer something closer to $100.

Top Bottom