• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

Alucrid said:
I tried looking through the thread but I can't find it. What was the mic that people were using with the M50s?

I recommended the Zalman mic that clips onto the wire. Was using it today and it worked perfectly for my needs. Can easily be found on amazon, sorry cant link right now.

LaneDS

So I bought some Senn HD595s and a VSX-820 receiver (which I am fairly sure is faulty after exhaustive testing with inconsistent results, but that is for another thread) and the more I read about audio equipment the more I wonder if I should buy an amplifier or not. The OP suggests the 595s don't have an impedance that warrants it but I've seen other sites suggesting it.

Since my new receiver doesn't want to play nice I have my PC and an iPhone 4 as my two sources of sound, and the PC has a crappy onboard soundcard so I'm wondering what these headphones might sound like if I invest in an amp or a better soundcard.

Any feedback is appreciated!

HiResDes

Get something with either a DAC and Amp built-in, or just start out by investing in a DAC.

...Maybe the Music Streamer II if you have enough money.

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
I recommended the Zalman mic that clips onto the wire. Was using it today and it worked perfectly for my needs. Can easily be found on amazon, sorry cant link right now.

Yep, that's it. Thanks.

Gvaz said:
What is a good DAC that isn't too expensive for HD555 cans? Something in the $50 range? $60 at most?

You're going to have trouble finding a decent DAC for that much.

LCfiner

Gvaz said:
I guess I won't bother then because I don't want to spend any more than that.

you can try getting an E7 for 100 bucks. it's a portable DAC/ AMP combo.

DAC isn't mind blowing but it's better than on board audio. AMP has a nice little bass boost feature which isn't too bad, either.

I don't have any experience with those Senns so I can't comment about how much they benefit from an amp, but if your budget is as low as you state, I think the E7 is the best bet for you. (I liked it more than the nuforce icon mobile, which is about the same price or slightly more expensive)

Malvolio said:
I had similar issues with my 840's for the first month or so. I was close to returning them, but they did seem to break in after a while. They now don't feel as tightly clamped to my head as they once did but they are still on the heavy side. The SRH series certainly isn't for everyone and they do take some getting used to, but I just could not give up those gorgeous mids they put out. Love those upgraded ear pads too. Those are the ones that come standard with the 840's and I'm not sure I could ever wear the 440's without them added on.

I actually stretched them over my desk phone for about a month. That certainly improved the fit, but not enough. It's alright though, I just brought my ATH-A900 from home. So now I have 4 pairs of headphones lying around my desk at work.

LCfiner

cmoy amps are very capable, inexpensive and fun amps for portable use. they won;t blow your mind but they can add a little more kick depending on the headphone you’re using.

Gvaz

Banned
Yasae said:
DACs go up to $20K, so don't come in here saying you ain't got enough.
I guess what I want is a headphone amp. I probably don't really need a DAC since I have a receiver that has a headphone jack on the front.

Preferably something with a 1/4" trs jack?

I'm really only looking for one headphone slot, not like four different ones on the same box. Something small that I could hook up to my desk out of the way....?

RS4-

LCfiner said:
cmoy amps are very capable, inexpensive and fun amps for portable use. they won;t blow your mind but they can add a little more kick depending on the headphone you’re using.

Ah fuck, when I mentioned "full sized amp" in my previous post, I meant to say receiver. As for headphones, using the AD700s

LCfiner

RS4- said:
Ah fuck, when I mentioned "full sized amp" in my previous post, I meant to say receiver. As for headphones, using the AD700s
Well, coincidentally I own an AD700 and although I have not used them for a while, I thought they got a much needed bass boost from my old cmoy. The ad700 have nice detail and soundstage but they can sound kinda thin if driven straight from an iPod or on board sound card . The amp helps those quite a bit, in my experience.

FoxSpirit

Okay, today I was at a friends. Another guy stopped by and had headphones on. Naturally, my reaction was "gimme... pleeeease."

5 minutes later, my mind was blown. Grado SR80. Oh my freaking god. I have listened to AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Ultrasone so far but this thing takes the cake. Completely outstanding sound.

How that is possible at this price point is beyond me but get them!!!

LCfiner

ha ha! yes! Grado takes another one!

I had a similar experience with the MS1is (slightly tweaked version of the midrange Grado)

they’re not the most detailed or have the best bass but, man, they are fun fun fun. they just put the midrange and treble right in your face. super aggressive phones that get your head bopping.

that led me to get the higher end Grado RS2. better bass but still very much a pushy headphone that’s a ton of fun

FoxSpirit said:
Okay, today I was at a friends. Another guy stopped by and had headphones on. Naturally, my reaction was "gimme... pleeeease."

5 minutes later, my mind was blown. Grado SR80. Oh my freaking god. I have listened to AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Ultrasone so far but this thing takes the cake. Completely outstanding sound.

How that is possible at this price point is beyond me but get them!!!
I know the grado sound well and I've been desperate to buy an upgrade for my now dead SR80. The grado sound is one of a kind and not everyone can handle it, but it is one of the best sound signatures around if you can dig it.

I bought a Sennheiser headset in April, and it died this morning. The left earbud went out, so I call Sennheiser. Apparently the dealer I got it through is not an "authorized dealer" and I was just told to get my money back from Amazon. Called Amazon, they told me to tell Sennheiser that their website doesn't say anything about not honoring warranties through unauthorized dealers. Called Sennheiser again, and they're closed for the day. Anyway, contacted the dealer, and they're refunding me. Happy times. On to my question:

What would be the best set of earbuds, preferably with a mic, that I can get for around $40-50. And I want to make sure the dealer is authorized this time. I really don't want to support Sennheiser now.

HiResDes

The Big Rig said:
I bought a Sennheiser headset in April, and it died this morning. The left earbud went out, so I call Sennheiser. Apparently the dealer I got it through is not an "authorized dealer" and I was just told to get my money back from Amazon. Called Amazon, they told me to tell Sennheiser that their website doesn't say anything about not honoring warranties through unauthorized dealers. Called Sennheiser again, and they're closed for the day. Anyway, contacted the dealer, and they're refunding me. Happy times. On to my question:

What would be the best set of earbuds, preferably with a mic, that I can get for around $40-50. And I want to make sure the dealer is authorized this time. I really don't want to support Sennheiser now.
I'd check out the CW31Ps

How are Grado's build quality these days? I had a pair of SR60's for years untill everything started fall apart on it but i abused them every day. Think i might get a better pair but i mainly use it with my iphone on the road.

LCfiner

Technosteve said:
How are Grado's build quality these days? I had a pair of SR60's for years untill everything started fall apart on it but i abused them every day. Think i might get a better pair but i mainly use it with my iphone on the road.

I honestly don’t think they’ve changed much in the past couple years. same metal band and vinyl headband on the midrange models.

still the messy glue job squeezed out between the driver and housing (even on the $1700 PS1000s when you check pictures online). same plastic housings for the metal rods that adjust the driver positions.

there’s not many complaints of their stuff breaking more these days but it’s still built with an eye towards economy and no-frills design.

Hootie

Does anyone here know where I could snag the Blox TM5's? They're sold out on the company website and I just missed a listing on Head-Fi

LCfiner said:
I honestly don’t think they’ve changed much in the past couple years. same metal band and vinyl headband on the midrange models.

still the messy glue job squeezed out between the driver and housing (even on the $1700 PS1000s when you check pictures online). same plastic housings for the metal rods that adjust the driver positions.

there’s not many complaints of their stuff breaking more these days but it’s still built with an eye towards economy and no-frills design.

=/ i would pay a premium for them to just build the thing out of metal instead of the gundam plastic kits construction. I wonder if they still manufacturing from brooklyn, they sent me a bunch of extra parts when i mailed them about my shit falling apart. Except for the foam padding i had to pay for the premium pads.

edit....

http://www.headphile.com/page5.html

balanced.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmm

LCfiner

there’s not many options with Grado if you don’t want plastic. even the 300 dollar 325is have plastic driver housings with metal cups.

you need to find a super rare HF-2 model to get wood driver housings and metal cups.

I like the look of their wooden models, as that old fashioned design seems to click with me when made out of wood. but I’d love it if they would update some of the things that are still cheap on the high end models - like the cable crimping on headphone cord, the lack of stops on the rods that causes the drivers to spin around and get tangled up.

but, man, that sound...

Enron

Banned
LCfiner said:

My SR225's broke. Cracked ring, separation right between the D and O in "Grado Labs". However, nothing was loose and it did not affect the sound one bit. Stuck em up on head-fi when i got the beyer itch, listed them for 95 since they were "broke", and they lasted all of a half second. I literally got 6 pms in the span of like 5 mins and had them sold before I left my chair. Still kicking, according to the guy i sold em to nearly 2 years ago. So crappy build quality, but "durable"

swoon

I'll sell you my HF-2s or 701s. or 650s.

also the similarly priced grados manhandled the 701/2. and they are easier to drive.

LCfiner

HiResDes said:
Why not just check out something else with a strong emphasis on the midrange, like some AKGs

I wish I could hear the AKG 701s without having to buy them as they seem very polarizing.

apparently very transparent and with great detail but also… boring? I suppose it depends on the expectations someone has with high end headphones.

If there’s one thing no Grado will ever be referred to is boring.

thatbox

Banned
Technosteve said:
I got my SR-60s in 2004 and they're only now becoming unlistenable. The Y-connector has I guess been stressed too much and the right cup doesn't work at all unless I hold the wire in a really severe position. I need to get around to contacting Grado somehow, but a quick Googling didn't come up with any easy way.

LCfiner

thatbox said:
I got my SR-60s in 2004 and they're only now becoming unlistenable. The Y-connector has I guess been stressed too much and the right cup doesn't work at all unless I hold the wire in a really severe position. I need to get around to contacting Grado somehow, but a quick Googling didn't come up with any easy way.

from their website. the phone number in Brooklyn is 718-435-5340

T-Matt

LCfiner said:
I wish I could hear the AKG 701s without having to buy them as they seem very polarizing.

apparently very transparent and with great detail but also… boring? I suppose it depends on the expectations someone has with high end headphones.

If there’s one thing no Grado will ever be referred to is boring.
I was lucky enough to have a friend that let me try his 701s. They are nice and great lookers imo but it is not a sound signature I'd want to listen to enough for the price. I can see(hear) why people like them.
I wish there were store in North America that you could try lots of headphones at.

I searched but did you do the wooden cups mod to your alessandro headphones? Do they look super rad now?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
Probably the Fischer Audio DBA-02, Phiaton PS200's, or Radius DDM if you can get around the comfort issues.
I'd add the RE0 or RE-ZERO to that list.

Of the six sets of SR-60's I've known, I've had to replaced the plug on five of them. This was seven or eight years ago, though. I will say that their spare construction does make rewiring them pretty easy.

LCfiner

T-Matt said:
I was lucky enough to have a friend that let me try his 701s. They are nice and great lookers imo but it is not a sound signature I'd want to listen to enough for the price. I can see(hear) why people like them.
I wish there were store in North America that you could try lots of headphones at.

I searched but did you do the wooden cups mod to your alessandro headphones? Do they look super rad now?

I did put the wood cups on them, yes. I had mentioned how they sounded a little while back (bit better bass, otherwise unchanged as I did not trust myself to mess with the drivers) but I was too lazy to take pics, lol.

Oozinator

Banned
what's the use of all these different types of fancy headphones ? I just need ones that let me hear the sound as it was originally recorded

swoon

T-Matt said:

they are pretty awesome for jazz and female vocalists and uh video games. i only use mine in the den for night gaming. huge detailed soundstage.

Alivor

I just got my TMA-1s today. Oh. My. God. Incredible sound, could not be happier. I can't stop listening to them. They sound amazing. Incredibly comfortable, and I hear things in songs that I didn't even know was there. Everything is very crisp, and it sounds like it should. Nothing is too overbearing, seems pretty great all around to me. Also very comfortable, and after I wear them for a while, it's as if they're not even there.

FoxSpirit

Oozinator said:
what's the use of all these different types of fancy headphones ? I just need ones that let me hear the sound as it was originally recorded

And that's the problem of all of Hi-Fi and Head-Fi. How do you get those damn thing to output sound that sounds just like the original?

The best headphones for that task are currently Stax headphones. Safeguard your wallet... or beware if you are weak of heart.

Top Bottom