• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

qcf x2 said:
I'm looking for a pair that I can use for home producing (hip hop) and mixing. Don't really wanna go with BEATS unless they're really the best choice. Suggestions?

Beats are never the best choice.

some well respected cans would be the beyerdynamic 880. the 770 are a bit cheaper. the 990 a bit more expensive and less neutral than the 880. those all range from 250 to 350 bucks

the ath-M50 is a good closed can for around 150.

I’ve read good things about the new beyer DT1350. it’s a portable, lightweight headphone with swivelling cups for one eared use. looks like it has great bass response and is very neutral.

the ultrasone 580, 780 and 900 are all decent closed headphones.

Denon D2000 are also very good. very strong bass but less focus on the midrange.

I love grado headphones. strong midrange and treble. you feel like you’re on stage with the musicians. bass is very weak on the cheap models.

EDIT: I forgot about the famous Sennheiser models. the lower end 558 and 598 and the higher end 600 and 650. some of the most popular and well regarded open headphones around. these are large, full size headphones

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
if he intends to plug headphones into it, he needs an amp. there is no volume control out of a simple dac. it is a line out feed.

so watch out for that if you do happen to find a DAC that is 100 bucks.

....I get it now. So the DAC is purely for the signal, and he needs an amp to power the phones still? I totally didnt understand that since the E7 was a combo. Damn, sounds like E7 is the way to go then.

He also has studio monitors, would it be ok to plug that into the E7 since it has 2 headphone jacks? It's currently just plugged into his PC motherboard's lineout.

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
....I get it now. So the DAC is purely for the signal, and he needs an amp to power the phones still? I totally didnt understand that since the E7 was a combo. Damn, sounds like E7 is the way to go then.

He also has studio monitors, would it be ok to plug that into the E7 since it has 2 headphone jacks? It's currently just plugged into his PC motherboard's lineout.

he can plug them into the E7 but then it will be going through the E7’s amp section plus the amp in the powered monitors, which is not ideal.

he can try it out and see if it sounds better than leaving it plugged into the motherboard line out. no risk.

qcf x2

LCfiner, that's a lot of options! I guess it's all about my budget then, huh? While looking on Amazon I came across the ATHM40S, which are currently ~70% off. Would they fit the bill? If so, I'll jump on it asap, as that discount is steep.

LCfiner

I haven’t read much about those M40S but some googling for reviews didn’t reveal anything troublesome. most people had really nice things to say about them. apparently decently balanced without a lot of extra treble or bass (so they might be better for mixing than for listening for “fun”).

for 60 bucks, they sound like a decent deal. If they don’t work out for you, you wouldn’t be out very much cash.

HiResDes

I have M40's, don't get them, they require a shit ton of amplification to sound decent, and the treble is muddy as hell. They are also not really on sale, as I bought mine for the same price five years ago
KuGsj.gif

Edit: For your price range I'd suggest going with the Superlux 669 in the OP.

So I have been rocking a Xonar DG soundcard a week now. Holy balls my ATH-M50's sound so much better now.

I now am strongly considering getting a portable amplifier for my iphone/headphone combo while at work. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just saw the one pictured on the last page. Which is that? How much is considered good for quality/quantity similar to my ATH-M50's?

NEOPARADIGM said:
Forgive me if they've already been discussed and whatnot, but I've gotten my hands on some Senny HD238's and they're the first set of cones where pressing them against my ears doesn't yield better sound. Ie, they sound fucking teets without doing that, particularly the bass. For $60 they're the best 'phones I've ever bought, and I suspect they're not even burned in yet.

10/10

Love them to death.

Forgot to add, I'm also using the FiiO E5 with these, fwiw. I'd estimate the amp makes a good 8% impact, well worth the 20 bucks.

Cheers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Whoa. Ultrasone HFI-580 are about $125 now. That's a friggin' steal.

I need to mod the band/pads on mine. They are reasonably comfortable, but can start hurting a bit after 1 hour or so. I'd like to do this because they sound absolutely phenomenal in games. They're so much fun in BFBC2.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The_Inquisitor said:
So I have been rocking a Xonar DG soundcard a week now. Holy balls my ATH-M50's sound so much better now.

I now am strongly considering getting a portable amplifier for my iphone/headphone combo while at work. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just saw the one pictured on the last page. Which is that? How much is considered good for quality/quantity similar to my ATH-M50's?
The M50 really does need an amp to bring out its best.

Look at the new FiiO E6. I think the E11 would bring too much bass out of them.

So I had Grado Sr80's for a few years and while they served me well they are in poor shape and I am going to buy some new headphones. There is a lot of info in this thread so I am hoping someone could point me to my best option.

-Budget is about 150$ give or take

-Comfort, the SR80's had great sound quality but after extended wear my ears would literally be bleeding or at the very least be in a lot of pain. I am looking for a more comfortable pair.

-External noise, I am not to worried about this as I will mainly be alone but ideally i would like them to be quiet if I were to wear them in public from time to time.

GAF, what say you?

Ashhong

K.Jack said:
The M50 really does need an amp to bring out its best.

Look at the new FiiO E6. I think the E11 would bring too much bass out of them.

I dont have the E6 but I can't imagine this is true. I have to do bass boost x3 on my E7 and I could still use a bit more bass, and that's with equalizer settings set with an emphasis on bass. I will admit I'm a bit of a basshead, but I honestly dont think its too high or anything. I'd try the E11 off Amazon and just return it if it's too much. Going by the E5, the E6 will be underwhelming.

LCfiner

arts&crafts said:
So I had Grado Sr80's for a few years and while they served me well they are in poor shape and I am going to buy some new headphones. There is a lot of info in this thread so I am hoping someone could point me to my best option.

-Budget is about 150$ give or take

-Comfort, the SR80's had great sound quality but after extended wear my ears would literally be bleeding or at the very least be in a lot of pain. I am looking for a more comfortable pair.

-External noise, I am not to worried about this as I will mainly be alone but ideally i would like them to be quiet if I were to wear them in public from time to time.

GAF, what say you?

I just gotta mention that your ears should not be in pain when wearing grados. especially the sr80 that uses the comfy pads. bend the headband to put less pressure on the ears and it'll be OK. that should be the number one grado tip. bend that headband liberally.

if you want to get away from that fit altogether, you need a pair of circumaural headphones that sit on the side of your head, not your ears. those are typically more comfortable for longer periods of time.

other people here might have some opinions on the sennheiser 558, beyerdynamic 770 or whatnot.

it's a bit above your budget but the Denon D2000 are super comfortable (but closed cans)

LCfiner said:
I just gotta mention that your ears should not be in pain when wearing grados. especially the sr80 that uses the comfy pads. bend the headband to put less pressure on the ears and it'll be OK. that should be the number one grado tip. bend that headband liberally.

if you want to get away from that fit altogether, you need a pair of circumaural headphones that sit on the side of your head, not your ears. those are typically more comfortable for longer periods of time.

other people here might have some opinions on the sennheiser 558, beyerdynamic 770 or whatnot.

it's a bit above your budget but the Denon D2000 are super comfortable (but closed cans)

Thanks, I will look into those you mentioned. That may be a better fit for me as I usually use them for extended periods while studying or working.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00085ESA0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I currently own a pair of these, and they've been serviceable for the past... five? years or so, but they're starting to fall apart.

Quality-wise, I'm looking for something that just sounds better than them at minimum. Noise-cancelling and/or decent isolation would be preferable, as would above-average bass... but if that makes the price shoot too high up then I can do with just 'better than the above'. I'd also like for for them to be bluetooth, portable(folding would be good) with a decent range(at least above 15 feet). Would mostly be using them to connect to PCs with a dongle I'd be using for kb/m as well. Not really interested in the headset/phone feature route, but if it comes with then I'm OK with that.

I'd prefer something around $100 or less, but I can go into the $200-250 range if it's really worth it. Any good suggestions?

adam.chance

Neo Member
Devices: Desktop, Laptop, Samsung Galaxy S II, DSi, PSP
Requirements: Closed Headphones - Girlfriend sleeps when I want to game or I am in the library at school
Use: Primarily PC gaming, occasionally classical or j-pop/rock music
Budget: $150 ($200 max)
Types of sound: I do not care so much about bass, but I do like clarity and details. I might get a usb dac amp when I am on the desktop, or a small amp if I need to use one with the portable devices.

I am looking for something simple, comfortable, and a decent build quality. I will be living in Japan soon in what will likely be an apartment with thin walls, so I will want to wear them often. I have a pair of iems (nuforce) that I like, but they can hurt my ears after a while.

Yocke

darkblade77 said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00085ESA0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I currently own a pair of these, and they've been serviceable for the past... five? years or so, but they're starting to fall apart.

Quality-wise, I'm looking for something that just sounds better than them at minimum. Noise-cancelling and/or decent isolation would be preferable, as would above-average bass... but if that makes the price shoot too high up then I can do with just 'better than the above'. I'd also like for for them to be bluetooth, portable(folding would be good) with a decent range(at least above 15 feet). Would mostly be using them to connect to PCs with a dongle I'd be using for kb/m as well. Not really interested in the headset/phone feature route, but if it comes with then I'm OK with that.

I'd prefer something around $100 or less, but I can go into the $200-250 range if it's really worth it. Any good suggestions?
Normally I'd say forget bluetooth at that price, but then I saw the Sennheiser PX210BT on amazon, and they've gotten pretty decent reviews. Haven't tried them myself though. Here's a review: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-px210bt/2/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ashhong said:
I dont have the E6 but I can't imagine this is true. I have to do bass boost x3 on my E7 and I could still use a bit more bass, and that's with equalizer settings set with an emphasis on bass. I will admit I'm a bit of a basshead, but I honestly dont think its too high or anything. I'd try the E11 off Amazon and just return it if it's too much. Going by the E5, the E6 will be underwhelming.
I am a bass head. You are a bass crackhead.

Seriously though. it seems like you bought the wrong headphones for your ears. Anything that doesn't put out enough bass from level 3 on an E7 has issues. I just tried max bass with the TMA-1 and there's so much it's to the point of ridiculous.

You'd love the E11 then, I guess. I'm doing an A/B test right now because EQ level 0 on the E11 seems to be beyond level 2 with the E7. The two higher levels are absurd.

And the E6 might surprise you. If the amp is truly beyond the E7's, the E6 utterly destroys the E5.

Dreams-Visions said:
Broke down and ordered a pair of HD600's.

Will offer thoughts on Thursday/Friday.
You have the M50 and an E7, right? Do you use the bass boost?

K.Jack said:
I have it hooked up right now. I usually have the Bass Boost set to 1. Very minimal uptick. In some genres, I might kick it up to 2, but usually just for 1 song or something...after which I crank it back down or turn it off entirely.

My EQ's are flat. It's hard for me to imagine wanting more bass boosting than 1 or 2, but it depends on what you're listening to, I suppose. Not because more impact isn't fun, but because after level 1, I think the sound tends to become muddy overall.

HiResDes

adam.chance said:
Requirements: Closed Headphones - Girlfriend sleeps when I want to game or I am in the library at school
Types of sound: I do not care so much about bass, but I do like clarity and details. I might get a usb dac amp when I am on the desktop, or a small amp if I need to use one with the portable devices.

I am looking for something simple, comfortable, and a decent build quality. I will be living in Japan soon in what will likely be an apartment with thin walls, so I will want to wear them often. I have a pair of iems (nuforce) that I like, but they can hurt my ears after a while.
AKG 271MKII

or if you want something really cheap, yet still good:

Superlux HD-662F

FoxSpirit

arts&crafts said:
Thanks, I will look into those you mentioned. That may be a better fit for me as I usually use them for extended periods while studying or working.
I'll pitch the AudioTechnica AD700. Right on the budget and the most comfortable headphone ever.
Seriously, there is no contest. Read some reviews, very well liked.

Ashhong

K.Jack said:
I am a bass head. You are a bass crackhead.

Seriously though. it seems like you bought the wrong headphones for your ears. Anything that doesn't put out enough bass from level 3 on an E7 has issues. I just tried max bass with the TMA-1 and there's so much it's to the point of ridiculous.

You'd love the E11 then, I guess. I'm doing an A/B test right now because EQ level 0 on the E11 seems to be beyond level 2 with the E7. The two higher levels are absurd.

And the E6 might surprise you. If the amp is truly beyond the E7's, the E6 utterly destroys the E5.

iuno man, its not just the sound I look for, its the feel of the bass. and without it on 3 boost I really can't feel it. I listen to mostly trance, kanye, and kpop right now. I don't think it sounds muddy at all. maybe my ears suck.

FoxSpirit

adam.chance said:

Moving to Japan? Dont move over go, hop straight into Japanese headphone store.
Read this:
www.head-fi.org/t/567072/japan-is-the-headphone-paradise-and-here-s-the-proof

You lucky bastard :p

I've got the Logitech G930 Headset right now. I'm really quite impressed with the sound quality and range of this wireless headset. Its a lot better than the Corsair HS1

Nelo Ice

Banned
so i must say im loving my hd555s with the hd595 mod done.

love playng games and listening to all my multimedia with em and now i laugh at all the people at my school wearing beats by dre. course i was happy to see one guy with some sennheisers.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Scuba Steve said:
I'm upgrading from Sennheiser HD 555s, I listen to a lot of electronic and rock music
What do you like about your Senns and what do you not like? What elements of sound would you change?

Nelo Ice said:
sorry im not rich and cant afford higher end headphones.
I'm just kidding. I had 555s and only upgraded because I put no exemptions down on my taxes and thus had a large return.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dice said:
What do you like about your Senns and what do you not like? What elements of sound would you change?

I'm just kidding. I had 555s and only upgraded because I put no exemptions down on my taxes and thus had a large return.

ahh ic apologies =/

i find it funny though that people just buy beats skullcandies etc like every time i try to tell friends/family not to get em and at least research or let me research for u they ignore me lol.

Dice said:

I like the HD 555s for the solid full range they put out. I wish the sound was a lot more crisp and defined though (not sure of the audiophile terminology for this), without sacrificing any low end.

Basically, I'd love headphones with a good full range, from the sounds of sizzling fire to the deep bass of a dance song.

Dice

Yes, the muddy sound was my main problem as well. I am quite pleased with my Grado SR325is with quarter-cut soft earpads (and headband cushion pulled right off the Senns) but this doesn't leave money for an amp on your budget. I got a Schiit Asgard which is unanimously praised as a good match for Grados, but it is $250. I don't know if you'd want to find a cheaper amp or roll with a totally different combo.

-edit-
I should also add that cleaning up separation/definition of ranges was vastly improved by my DAC (HRT MS2+) which was kinda pricey, and I don't know what you'd get from a cheaper DAC/Amp combo like an E7 compared to just an amp.

What does GAF think of a Superlux 662Fs + E7 combo? I've heard of only good things for both, dunno how they'd sound paired up though. First time sinking so much money into audiophile tech btw

Dice

Oh, and question for TMA-1 owners: How secure are they on your head? My Grados would fly off if I decided to rock out too hard, so if I got an additional set of headphones I would want it to fulfill as many alternative purposes as possible. Closed format, sound signature, and rock-out dancing...

Geneijin

Anyone have a recommendation for full-sized headphone amps?

Looking at the Matrix M-Stage because I have a variety of headphones I want to use them with. Budget is $300 at most. Most preferably a DAC/AMP combo if possible.

HiResDes said:
AKG 271MKII

or if you want something really cheap, yet still good:

Superlux HD-662F
Or the Shure SRH940. You can get them at spectrumaudio.com for $208.99 if you're willing to buy from them (add to cart to reflect price). Too bad Amazon hasn't yet price matched them. I'd absolutely recommend the SRH940's over the K271 since they're just better overall and will only improve with an amp unlike the K271, which needs an amp although the E7 or E7/E9 combo works well for the K271. SRH940 is getting very favorable impressions on head-fi.

HiResDes

Geneijin said:
Anyone have a recommendation for full-sized headphone amps?

Looking at the Matrix M-Stage because I have a variety of headphones I want to use them with. Budget is $300 at most. Most preferably a DAC/AMP combo if possible.

Or the Shure SRH940. You can get them at spectrumaudio.com for $208.99 if you're willing to buy from them (add to cart to reflect price). Too bad Amazon hasn't yet price matched them. I'd absolutely recommend the SRH940's over the K271 since they're just better overall and will only improve with an amp unlike the K271, which needs an amp although the E7 or E7/E9 combo works well for the K271. SRH940 is getting very favorable impressions on head-fi.
Oh didn't even know those were out, thanks!

InertiaXr

My girlfriend needs some new in-ear headphones for work, her current Apple ones broke. Looking at the OP they are all more expensive than I really want or need to spend, are there any decent quality pairs that will last a while for under $20-30? She doesn't really care about sound quality, there is co-workers talking, she is on the phones occasionally, she really just needs a pair that she can put in 1 ear to have as background music.

LCfiner

InertiaXr said:
My girlfriend needs some new in-ear headphones for work, her current Apple ones broke. Looking at the OP they are all more expensive than I really want or need to spend, are there any decent quality pairs that will last a while for under $20-30? She doesn't really care about sound quality, there is co-workers talking, she is on the phones occasionally, she really just needs a pair that she can put in 1 ear to have as background music.

to be honest, for those needs, i would just go on ebay and get some apple clone headphones for, like, a couple bucks each. buy a bunch. they should last about as long as the regular apple ones but if one breaks, no big whoop

any 30 dollar headphone from a store is going to be just as likely to break in the same timeframe as a 3 dollar headphone.

InertiaXr

LCfiner said:
to be honest, for those needs, i would just go on ebay and get some apple clone headphones for, like, a couple bucks each. buy a bunch. they should last about as long as the regular apple ones but if one breaks, no big whoop

any 30 dollar headphone from a store is going to be just as likely to break in the same timeframe as a 3 dollar headphone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earphone-He...er_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item25611f512e

Well, for $2.19 each I would probably just buy 10 of them and she would never even know they aren't official Apple ones...

cnizzle06

Banned
So I have the HD555's which I use with my computer and iPhone 4.

Can you audiophiles suggest something to give my music a bit more 'oomph'?

cnizzle06 said:

are they not getting loud enough?

then get a an amp or a DAC+Amp combo.

Davidion

cnizzle06 said:

I mean, you could get an amp, such as the fiios, which may help a little.

But realistically, if you want "oomph", and I'm not saying this to be obnoxious, but I'd recommend getting something other than a 555.

cnizzle06

Banned
Davidion said:
I mean, you could get an amp, which may help a little.

But realistically, if you want "oomph", and I'm not saying this to be obnoxious, but I've recommend getting something other than a 555.

I'm open for suggestions.

I got 'em as entry-headphones in order to see what I've been missing and so far, I like what I hear.

Top Bottom