• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Irulan

Neo Member
Needed to replace a cheap pair of sennheisers I used for travel that broke during my last trip. Was looking to buy another pair of ~50 € cans, ended up over spending and getting the sennheiser HD25-1 II. Was this a good choice?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Irulan said:
Needed to replace a cheap pair of sennheisers I used for travel that broke during my last trip. Was looking to buy another pair of ~50 € cans, ended up over spending and getting the sennheiser HD25-1 II. Was this a good choice?
The HD25 is a great choice. You did good son.

Ashhong

So what is the verdict on the Fiio E6? I took my M50+E7 camping this past weekend and realized that the amp is more important than the DAC to me, and I am not satisfied with the E7 amp. Looking at the E11 or E6. Is the E6 a huge step up from the lackluster, volume boosting E5?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
In an amp vs amp comparison, the E6 is considered a bit superior to the E7.

That said, the E6 will be disappointing as you're coming from the E7. You want the E11. Period, bottom line. It's explosively powerful, with great bass and sound signature.

Ashhong

oh nice. these higher capacity batteries dont pose any kind of danger/threat to the E11? like maybe it runs hotter or something?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yes, all of them. It's because of the construction of their drivers.

If you've never had higher end cans, they'll still blow your mind, but when you're not listening I'd just leave them running with a massive playlist for 3 days. I did that with my Grados but I still feel like they have smoothed out more in the months since I got them. They may be alright with the standard pads instead of quarter-cut softies now (aside from comfort)

Edit: lol or not, just tried it, forgot how much body the softies give them.

Irulan

Neo Member
Dice said:
Yes, all of them. It's because of the construction of their drivers.

If you've never had higher end cans, they'll still blow your mind, but when you're not listening I'd just leave them running with a massive playlist for 3 days. I did that with my Grados but I still feel like they have smoothed out more in the months since I got them. They may be alright with the standard pads instead of quarter-cut softies now (aside from comfort)

I have a pair of K701's for home use, but they're too bulky for travel. They definitely sounded better after a couple of days burn in with noise.
I've also had the opposite experience with IEMs, which were recommended to burn in on forums, but I really did not hear any difference.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Irulan said:
I have a pair of K701's for home use, but they're too bulky for travel. They definitely sounded better after a couple of days burn in with noise. I've also had the opposite experience with IEMs, which were recommended to burn in on forums, but I really did not hear any difference.
I don't use IEMs so I don't personally know about that. I've heard about burning them in, but I don't see how it would change much when the drivers are so compact. If you've got 40mm coils it makes sense, but IEMs? I don't see how there would be much room/material to loosen up.

jokkir

Does anyone use the FiiO E5 amp? If so, how is it? I'm looking to buy headphone amps but don't really want to shell out that much money for it as of right now.

HiResDes

jokkir said:
Does anyone use the FiiO E5 amp? If so, how is it? I'm looking to buy headphone amps but don't really want to shell out that much money for it as of right now.
Get an E6, the E5 was taken off the recommendation list for a reason.

jokkir said:
Does anyone have any tips EQ-ing Sony XB500's? The bass seems a little too heavy on these.

Why would you get a headphone that's mainly marketed and touted as bass heavy and then complain about it? My best advice is to get a different pair of headphones.

Ashhong

Damn, I'm never gonna get rid of my E5 now am I after the E6 release?
lol.gif

Izayoi

Banned
Hm, I feel that the Yulong U100 is a tad bit underpowered when using it with the DT-880 600s. Still sounds way better than my HD555s, but it's definitely made for lower impendance phones. Will be buying a Burson HA-160 and using the U100 as a DAC instead.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Izayoi said:
Hm, I feel that the Yulong U100 is a tad bit underpowered when using it with the DT-880 600s. Still sounds way better than my HD555s, but it's definitely made for lower impendance phones. Will be buying a Burson HA-160 and using the U100 as a DAC instead.

Just buy a tube amp. Higher voltage - better for high impedance cans.

Izayoi

Banned
Extollere said:
Just buy a tube amp. Higher voltage - better for high impedance cans.
The idea of fumbling around with tubes and needing to replace them every year does not really appeal to me. They look sexy and all, but it seems like a lot of hassle and expense.

If I were to get a tube amp, what would you recommend? I've heard a lot of good things about the Little Dot on the cheap side of things, and the WooAudios on the higher end.

Izayoi said:
The idea of fumbling around with tubes and needing to replace them every year does not really appeal to me. They look sexy and all, but it seems like a lot of hassle and expense.

If I were to get a tube amp, what would you recommend? I've heard a lot of good things about the Little Dot on the cheap side of things, and the WooAudios on the higher end.
Uh... I'm pretty sure tubes don't need to be replaced every year. Those things should last thousands of hours, meaning you'd get at least 5 years of use out of them if you listened to music for about 2 hours a day give or take. You're right in that some of the tubes can be expensive, but those are usually the esoteric NOS vintage tubes.

HiResDes

Izayoi said:

Well if you're using a 600 OHM headphone you're gonna want to get a MKIII or MKIV Little Dot Amp, which aren't exactly low end

Izayoi

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Uh... I'm pretty sure tubes don't need to be replaced every year. Those things should last thousands of hours, meaning you'd get at least 5 years of use out of them if you listened to music for about 2 hours a day give or take. You're right in that some of the tubes can be expensive, but those are usually the esoteric NOS vintage tubes.
Hm... I suppose you're right. Looking at the WA6 right now.

Prologue

HiResDes said:
Supposedly pretty good actually, yet overpriced as usual, well feedback is out only out for the IE2

Friend mentioned wanting to get a pair for the gym. Might look into doing the same. People in these parts seem very knowledgeable so I thought i'd ask.

HiResDes

Prologue said:
Friend mentioned wanting to get a pair for the gym. Might look into doing the same. People in these parts seem very knowledgeable so I thought i'd ask.

If you're looking for a quality IEM and not entirely devoted to the BOSE status symbol, I can probably suggest a much safer bet for you at a lower cost. What genres of music do you favor?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Izayoi said:

haha, yeah, I would have recommended the WA3 or WA6.

I need new earphones to replace my stock iPhone ones (I lost them, and also they were shit). I was thinking of getting Scosche IDR655m but if anyone has any better recommendations let me know! I want them to be compatible with my iPhone (3GS) and not too expensive (less than £80 preferably).

Also totally not an audiophile so go easy on me :)

well, since I got my Klipsch Image X5 IEMs last week, my gaming headset on my PC isn't sounding nearly as good as it used to..

I had been trying to avoid taking the plunge into a decent set of cans for the PC, as I figured it would eventually lead me to purchase a DAC/Amp since I know that my audio panel is not shielded (usb devices cause interference when using headphones in the front port).. but the prospect of better sounding audio is hard to ignore, particularly in a location that I spend most of my waking hours (well, at least the ones that I'm not working)..

As such, I have a few questions.. considering that I have on-board audio now:

1. Would a DAC/Amp like the E7 be what I'm looking for if I want to take the PC internals out of the equation for audio? I don't have a particular budget, but value for the money is always a welcome proposition.

2. I'm assuming I should probably get a set of cans rather than use my IEMs on the PC. Although I do love the sound isolation of my IEMs, it isn't absolutely necessary when I'm gaming as I typically close the door to my room.

3. If you guys have any suggestions for a good set of cans (preferably $200 or less, though I'd rather not exceed $300 on the upper end of things), I'd be glad to hear em.

Thanks!

Izayoi

Banned
By the way, Extollere, to answer your question about isolation on the DT-800s, they are definitely open, not "semi-open" like Beyerdynamics claims they are. You're going to be able to hear external sound when the music is quiet or the external sounds are loud.

Robobandit said:
1. Would a DAC/Amp like the E7 be what I'm looking for if I want to take the PC internals out of the equation for audio? I don't have a particular budget, but value for the money is always a welcome proposition.

2. I'm assuming I should probably get a set of cans rather than use my IEMs on the PC. Although I do love the sound isolation of my IEMs, it isn't absolutely necessary when I'm gaming as I typically close the door to my room.

3. If you guys have any suggestions for a good set of cans (preferably $200 or less, though I'd rather not exceed $300 on the upper end of things), I'd be glad to hear em.
1.) The E7 is fine for lower end phones and IEMs, but once you start getting more expensive (over $200) they are going to have trouble keeping up.

2.) Most definitely, yes. There are high-end phones with good sound isolation, but generally speaking the open phones allow for better sound quality.

3.) I just got my DT880's, and they're fucking amazing. You can get all versions for less than $300.

if the E7 isn't sufficient for mid-to-high-end headphones, what would be an adequate DAC/Amp? I'd of course rather buy more than i need in the amp department, but I'd rather avoid breaking the bank if at all possible..

HiResDes

Wormdundee said:
I myself own the Little Dot MKIV SE and their DAC, I don't think they can be considered low end.
I think the MKIII, which can be had for as low as $200 including shipping is still a steal as well.

HD600s were probably the quickest headphone return I've ever made. Excellent in their own right, but I found them inferior in all ways to my D7000s and not unique enough to keep. For the price they are terrific and if I didn't have the D7k's they would have made me very happy.

results may be different on your rig, so keep that in mind.

I'll have to look elsewhere for something good yet unique in sound signature.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Izayoi said:
By the way, Extollere, to answer your question about isolation on the DT-800s, they are definitely open, not "semi-open" like Beyerdynamics claims they are. You're going to be able to hear external sound when the music is quiet or the external sounds are loud.

Maybe I'll spring for the HD650 instead and just forget about sound isolation.

Le-mo

Oppugno said:
This is totally the perfect solution I've been looking for, but I can't seem to find them anywhere cheaper than $200. How do I get them for $150? :)
Go to amazon.com add to cart and the price should be $169.

Izayoi

Banned
Wormdundee said:
I myself own the Little Dot MKIV SE and their DAC, I don't think they can be considered low end.
I only said that they were on the cheaper side of things, not that they're "low end". Personally, I just like the aesthetics of the WooAudio stuff better, the fact that I can swap in the Sophia Princess down the line, and the fact that there is an impendance switch.

Robobandit said:
if the E7 isn't sufficient for mid-to-high-end headphones, what would be an adequate DAC/Amp? I'd of course rather buy more than i need in the amp department, but I'd rather avoid breaking the bank if at all possible..
It really depends. If you're going to be going for the heavy-hitting 600ohm cans then you're going to need a high-end solid state or a tube. Decide on a pair of cans first, then you can worry about pairing an amp with them.

I was thinking about getting an E7/E9 combo.. but you're right, I should find a pair of cans first.

It's a shame the only headphone shop around here seems to be Best Buy.. and they don't have the ones I'd be looking at.

LCfiner

Robobandit said:
I was thinking about getting an E7/E9 combo.. but you're right, I should find a pair of cans first.

It's a shame the only headphone shop around here seems to be Best Buy.. and they don't have the ones I'd be looking at.

this has been my problem. waiting for online sales and taking the risk of buying cans without auditioning them first. very few decent headphones are available in stores around here.

luckily, even when I’ve kept the headphones I got online for a long while (outside any return window) but then decided to move on, the resale value for them on the used market has been quite good.

Alucrid

Banned
Wormdundee said:

To be fair on the audiophile spectrum the WA6 is 'low end' too.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
You might want to PM Alucrid. He owns the WA6.

Reporting for duty. I would say if you can, go for it. It certainly helps refine the sound in terms of soundstage and imaging. Plus, it looks fucking awesome. Listen the WA6 with the stock tubes for a bit, switch in the Sophia, then head back after a few days of listening and you'll definitely notice the difference.

Robobandit said:

Are you asking for a DAC/amp all in one? Separate DAC and amp?

parasight

Well, my BrainWavz M1 died already. Got em in February, so I guess that's decent lifetime for a cheap pair of IEM. My Klipsch S4i's are still dead, and I'm still beating myself up for not keeping the receipt after they died in a year. Just found the MEElec M6's on sale for about $15 on Newegg, so I'm giving these a shot. Eventually just going to buy Klipsch S5i's or another set of S4i's and hold onto that receipt for the 3 years of warranty, because I know I'm inevitably gonna need it.

Top Bottom