• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Davidion

Hey no hate, there's plenty of love for the aesthetically demanding.

AKGK702.jpg

I'm just sayin'

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RubxQub said:
:lol

Sorry! I'm not all about looks my any stretch. But some of those sets you mentioned seriously look like a cheap pair you'd expect to find at a Radio Shack in the 90s.

Those wood cups look decent, but not really my style.

Sounds like I've at least got the right brands to start checking out and see what I like.

...I'm not as terrible a person as I appear in this thread, I promise :)

No don't worry. I sort of want something stylish that I could take out as well and look "cool" while sounding nice. Sure it's partially superficial but oh wells.

On a side note I found my old pair of SR-60s last night. Hey those still sound really good IMO.

Darklord

Banned
I need some help finding the right headphones. So many good ones seem to be closed but I HATE closed headphones.

I have Plantronic Audio 770's and they've been pretty great. Decent sound, mic, very comfy, light weight and semi-closed. Sadly, I think they're dying. I might be able to fix them but maybe not. Are there any other good headphones that cover that list of stuff? I'd buy the 770's again but they don't make them anymore. So many of them are too tight or aren't very light weight and that makes wearing them for a long time become a real pain.

Edit: I'm thinking possibly the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 but they don't have a mic...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Darklord said:
I need some help finding the right headphones. So many good ones seem to be closed but I HATE closed headphones.

I have Plantronic Audio 770's and they've been pretty great. Decent sound, mic, very comfy, light weight and semi-closed. Sadly, I think they're dying. I might be able to fix them but maybe not. Are there any other good headphones that cover that list of stuff? I'd buy the 770's again but they don't make them anymore. So many of them are too tight or aren't very light weight and that makes wearing them for a long time become a real pain.

Edit: I'm thinking possibly the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 but they don't have a mic...
Just get one of these with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Vanillalite

Trojita said:

They work well enough, and you should be fine with that.

That being said I always find it semi ironic that in a thread where people are all about getting the best sound quality possible when it comes to headsets people always think hey you need great sounding cans, but this cheap 10 clip on mic shall do. You never see people saying hey a clip on mic is okay, but it's not gonna equal a decent headset with a solid mini boom like mic.

In short I almost never see audiophiles put the amount of thought they do into output as they could into well input at least when concerning headsets. That's just an aside though.

Darklord

Banned
Trojita said:

Lacks a mute and isn't noise-canceling but I'll have a look and see if I can find one with those that can clip on. Thanks. Now I just have to see if the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is what I need. A review says they lack good bass...that's a bit of a bummer.

Any other semi-closed or open head sets recommendations are welcome. Any price. As long as they aren't tight, light weight and comfy to wear for a long time.

Gila

Darklord said:
Lacks a mute and isn't noise-canceling but I'll have a look and see if I can find one with those that can clip on. Thanks. Now I just have to see if the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is what I need. A review says they lack good bass...that's a bit of a bummer.

Any other semi-closed or open head sets recommendations are welcome. Any price. As long as they aren't tight, light weight and comfy to wear for a long time.
I ordered the AiAiAi TMA-1, check them out if you haven't already (I didn't read previous posts)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1

I need to upgrade to SOMETHING. I'm not knowledgeable in the ways of headphonery or anything, and I currently just have some Skullcandy headphones, and I want something new. I like the over the ear ones... I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendation, I mostly just use headphones for my PSP, DS, and iPod, occasionally the computer. Price... well I don't want to buy a pair of 300 dollar headphones. :p Please help?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Brettison said:
They work well enough, and you should be fine with that.

That being said I always find it semi ironic that in a thread where people are all about getting the best sound quality possible when it comes to headsets people always think hey you need great sounding cans, but this cheap 10 clip on mic shall do. You never see people saying hey a clip on mic is okay, but it's not gonna equal a decent headset with a solid mini boom like mic.

In short I almost never see audiophiles put the amount of thought they do into output as they could into well input at least when concerning headsets. That's just an aside though.
But you're personifying the audiophile snob, judging the mic by price and not its quality.

Hootie

Anybody know how the Phiaton MS400's compare to the AIAIAI TM-1's?

I've had the MS400 since October and love them but I've heard the TM-1's are something else.

Specifically I'd like to know how the bass compares, and also a size comparison. The MS400 looks great but I cant shake the feeling that I look like a total tool wearing them in public. They are a bit big.

Vanillalite

K.Jack said:
But you're personifying the audiophile snob, judging the mic by price and not its quality.
I own that mic. It's not money. It's personal use as well as how mics work how different mics are constructed, and tests. Just like headphones.

I'll post more when I get on a laptop and not on my phone, but your lying to yourself if you think that Zal mic is close to getting you really good sound input quality with a decent headset. It's fine, and works for what it is and most people's uses. I could say that about a lot of cans/iems to though, and that doesn't mean there isn't a substantial difference.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Chef Cat said:
I need to upgrade to SOMETHING. I'm not knowledgeable in the ways of headphonery or anything, and I currently just have some Skullcandy headphones, and I want something new. I like the over the ear ones... I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendation, I mostly just use headphones for my PSP, DS, and iPod, occasionally the computer. Price... well I don't want to buy a pair of 300 dollar headphones. :p Please help?

Take 2 minutes to read the OP

Trojita

Brettison said:
I own that mic. It's not money. It's personal use as well as how mics work how different mics are constructed, and tests. Just like headphones.

I'll post more when I get on a laptop and not on my phone, but your lying to yourself if you think that Zal mic is close to getting you really good sound input quality with a decent headset. It's fine, and works for what it is and most people's uses. I could say that about a lot of cans/iems to though, and that doesn't mean there isn't a substantial difference.
We are audiophiles for hearing. I was assuming he needed the mic for gaming. You're not listening to yourself talk, so what does it matter? The Zalman is cheap in price and your voice comes out clear to everyone else you are talking to. Is it going to matter if you have some studio level microphone, if everyone else is using varying degrees of shitty headphones? The microphones aren't special on any of these generic headsets either.

Naglafar

I'm doing my listening through optical out on my PC into a denon 790R, and plug my HD555s into the headphone port on that. Will I hear any difference if I upgrade the headphones to something in the $200 range? If so, whats the current hotness in that price range? Right now I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 990.

Izayoi

Banned
Naglafar said:
I'm doing my listening through optical out on my PC into a denon 790R, and plug my HD555s into the headphone port on that. Will I hear any difference if I upgrade the headphones to something in the $200 range? If so, whats the current hotness in that price range? Right now I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 990.
I would recommend the DT-880s over the 990s. I had a chance to listen to the 990s the other day and they sounded less balanced than the 880s. Lows were blown out and lacked detail, highs were sibilant, and the sound stage was more restricted than the 880s.

I upgraded from the HD555s to the DT-880s and there was a huge difference. Though I did get the 600ohm version, so that might make a difference.

Trojita

When you guys say that the Sennheiser HD 598's sound a little bit different than the normal Sennheiser sound, what do you mean by this? Is there any description you could give to it? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

nomis

Trojita said:
When you guys say that the Sennheiser HD 598's sound a little bit different than the normal Sennheiser sound, what do you mean by this? Is there any description you could give to it? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Mine sound a bit warmer than my 555s, with the soundstage slightly farther out. Especially now that they're broken in. But I'm no expert so I might be way off the mark.

Definitely a good thing, IMO. Also the build quality alone was worth the upgrade considering I used my 555 hours a day for over two years and they were falling apart at the headband.

torontoml

Hey guys I know nothing about headphones, but would like to get a pair of closed headphones $200-$300, available in Canada or Concord New Hampshire as I am going there next weekend. Do you guys have any suggestions?

leng jai

omnomis said:
Mine sound a bit warmer than my 555s, with the soundstage slightly farther out. Especially now that they're broken in. But I'm no expert so I might be way off the mark.

Definitely a good thing, IMO. Also the build quality alone was worth the upgrade considering I used my 555 hours a day for over two years and they were falling apart at the headband.

You're off the mark because the 555 is also not the typical Sennheiser "house" sound. The 555/558/595/598 are colder than the the 6 series which means less midrange/bass and a slightly airer/clearer sound.

ElyrionX

I did extensive A/B comparisons between the DT880 and DT990 and ended up buying the DT990. They both sound very similar in terms of the overall sound signature and the key distinction between the both of them is essentially the bass. Mids in the DT990 were a little recessed as a result of the bass emphasis but I found that after a bit of burn-in and when driven well, this becomes less of an issue. However, do bear in mind that my comparisons were done on the 32 ohm versions running on an iPhone playing 256 kbps AAC files.

FoxSpirit

I think the M-50 have a classy look in a DJ-technical kind of way:

zRFFZ.jpg

If only they came in white anymore, no?

7ELSH.jpg

And honestly, Beats are no lookers. They don't look cool. People only say that because Beats are cool. But the design is bland.
My big question is, WHY did Dr.Dre give his name for this? WHY not go to a better company and be proud of the headphone you push on people? WHY not push the company to make something worthwhile if they got my name.
The fact the Monster Turbines are actually good is a miracle.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Izayoi said:
So is there a reason you're looking at headphones over IEMs for any particular reason? Do you need to have headphones, and do they need to be closed?
I've had a weird history with IEMs. I used to have a pair of Shure's awhile ago and I still have a set of (please stop hitting me!) Beats that are IEM as well.

When I'm active, IEMs become pretty much impossible to wear, and my left ear canal is a different size than my right and I can never seem to find a pair of rubber tips that feel just right. I think those cone looking ones with the ridges would work, but I haven't seen those in a wide variety of sizes.

I'd love IEMs since they are dramatically more portable, but the fit and the ability to stay put when highly active has been the major downside.

...the best feature about the Beats ones I have is the non-tangle cable which works insanely well...please stop hitting me :(

FoxSpirit said:
Those look awesome.

Double Edit: Zomg and they are in my price range sweet spot. Are these as amazing as the Amazon reviews claim? These will almost definitely be my next set if so...and if I can find them in that sexy white than I'm insta-sold.

Naglafar

ElyrionX said:
I did extensive A/B comparisons between the DT880 and DT990 and ended up buying the DT990. They both sound very similar in terms of the overall sound signature and the key distinction between the both of them is essentially the bass. Mids in the DT990 were a little recessed as a result of the bass emphasis but I found that after a bit of burn-in and when driven well, this becomes less of an issue. However, do bear in mind that my comparisons were done on the 32 ohm versions running on an iPhone playing 256 kbps AAC files.
I was under the impression that you need some sort of amp to drive the 990 and the 880. 880 looks like its a closed headphone from the picture anyways and I really prefer open. Anything else better than the 990s at the $200 price point that has open cups?

FoxSpirit

RubxQub said:
Those look awesome.

Double Edit: Zomg and they are in my price range sweet spot. Are these as amazing as the Amazon reviews claim? These will almost definitely be my next set if so...and if I can find them in that sexy white than I'm insta-sold.
Yes those are amazing. They even fold up well for transportability and are really sturdy.
The white colour posted was a special edition for god knows who, you'll have to settle for black, sorry.

Recon

Banned
FoxSpirit said:

zRFFZ.jpg

If only they came in white anymore, no?

7ELSH.jpg

And honestly, Beats are no lookers. They don't look cool. People only say that because Beats are cool. But the design is bland.
My big question is, WHY did Dr.Dre give his name for this? WHY not go to a better company and be proud of the headphone you push on people? WHY not push the company to make something worthwhile if they got my name.
The fact the Monster Turbines are actually good is a miracle.

Beats actually have a nice simplistic design to them. If they were actually good, and not so damn expensive, i would like some. But because they are none of those things, i will not own them.

ElyrionX

Naglafar said:
I was under the impression that you need some sort of amp to drive the 990 and the 880. 880 looks like its a closed headphone from the picture anyways and I really prefer open. Anything else better than the 990s at the $200 price point that has open cups?

The DT990 is open and no you don't need an amp to drive the DT990 as long as you buy the 32 ohms version. It sounds great when I use it un-amped with my iPhone and iPad.

goodfella

FoxSpirit said:

No, the Beats best qualities are that they are portable, comfortable and look cool. People don't think that Beats look cool because the Beats are cool, but that the Beats are cool because they look cool.

poweld

goodfella said:
No, the Beats best qualities are that they are portable, comfortable and look cool. People don't think that Beats look cool because the Beats are cool, but that the Beats are cool because they look cool.
mal-(n1290877193559).gif

Also, picking up some AKG Q350's out of necessity for my flight in a couple hours. If anybody is interested in how they perform I'll let you know in a couple weeks. When I get back from Italy.

*squeeee*

LCfiner

well, I ordered a set of Beyerdynamic DT1350.

I'll have impressions in two weeks. I'm looking forward to having something more neutral as a counterpoint to my Grados

I also sold my Grado PS1000 and are now using the Grado HF2 as my main set. I'll be picking up a pair of the super large G cushion bowls for the HF2 for occasions where I want some bigger soundstage.

It hurt me to sell the PS1000 but, well, turns out I'm just not the kinda guy who feels comfortable with super expensive headphones. I'm keeping a more modest setup now.

B33

Banned
First-time buyer here. I'm relatively new to the notion of owning anything besides a pair of Apple headphones.

I'd like to purchase a pair of closed headphones for listening to music while working on my computer.

My budget is below $100 and I'd like to grab a pair that have some quality to them (even though I know my budget is on the lower end).

I've narrowed it down between two choices.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
and Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone.

Are either appropriate for my intentions? Is the substantial hike in price for the HD-280 set worth it? Could anyone share their experience with either set of headphones?

Darklord

Banned
Anyone know is there is much difference between Audio Technica ATH-AD900 and ATH-AD700. The 900's are about $150 more but I can't find if there is a $150 worth of difference.

RBK

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the Klipsch Image One? Amazon has a real good price on them plus I heard many good reviews on it so far. Was interested in Beats, but we all know how Monster overprices their products.

Izayoi

Banned
Naglafar said:
You don't need an amp if you buy the 32ohm versions. 880s are very open headphones, just as open as the 555s, if not more-so.

The choice between the 880 and the 990 really lies on what kind of music you listen to most. Any particular genres that you enjoy on a regular basis?

x3sphere

Anyone see this - the Objective2 amp? http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/o2-details.html

Sounds very promising, it's an amp designed entirely around measurements. Only $30 in parts (expect around $150 fully assembled), competing with amps that cost several times as much. Someone even compared it to a Beta22 ($1k amp) and didn't notice a difference...

There's been a few group buys for boards so we'll get a lot more impressions soon.

If this amp is really that good, then the HD800s suddenly have become much more affordable to me.

Darklord

Banned
Extollere said:

They seem a lot better from that but it's hard to tell with audiophiles just how much of a difference it really is. The headphones I have now would probably sound like a mess to them, where as I think they sound pretty good. I might stick with the AD700's. I just can't really justify such a mark up for slightly better balancing.

SteveO409

I received my Fiio E7 today and I have it hooked up to my PC. How come I am not receiving any sounds to my headphones at all. The drivers successfully installed and I tried going through the Volume mixer settings...no luck :(

It looks similar to this at the moment

5Ha5J.jpg

SteveO409 said:
I received my Fiio E7 today and I have it hooked up to my PC. How come I am not receiving any sounds to my headphones at all. The drivers successfully installed and I tried going through the Volume mixer settings...no luck :(

It looks similar to this at the moment

5Ha5J.jpg

What OS are you using? You need to go set the default audio output device to "USB Audio DAC"..

In windows 7, you'd right-click the volume icon and choose "playback devices" and find the device in the list and set it as the default audio output device.

Then quit and restart your audio playback application.

SteveO409

Robobandit said:
What OS are you using? You need to go set the default audio output device to "USB Audio DAC"..

In windows 7, you'd right-click the volume icon and choose "playback devices" and find the device in the list and set it as the default audio output device.

Then quit and restart your audio playback application.

Wow ok thanks alot and it works now!! Choosing playback devices worked, I was looking through the volume mixer lol. Time to test these out with my Denon d2000s now

Bought the Shure SRH750DJ. Fantastic pair. Sound is crisp and the bass is powerful. Only thing I can complain about is that I wish the headphones extended out another notch or two. Right now I'm on max and they JUST fit over my ear.

on Wednesday I got my Shure SRH940s and my Fiio E7 and E9..

I'm enjoying them quite a bit.. just trying to avoid head-fi.. the thread went to crap because of people arguing about the SRH940s vs the HD800.. and other people insisting that the 840s were better.. nothing like an audio forum to make you second guess a purchase!

To me, the 940s are better.. they have a bit more bass presence and are far more comfortable than the 840s on my head. The 840s would hurt my ears after a few hours.. but my ears are fine now.

I'm definitely finding that the recording makes a noticeable difference.. as I'm hearing details that were not there previously.. and not all of them are pleasant. To my ears they definitely sound better out of the E9 than they do out of the E7 by itself or out of the computer directly.

Laekon

B33 said:
First-time buyer here. I'm relatively new to the notion of owning anything besides a pair of Apple headphones.

I'd like to purchase a pair of closed headphones for listening to music while working on my computer.

My budget is below $100 and I'd like to grab a pair that have some quality to them (even though I know my budget is on the lower end).

I've narrowed it down between two choices.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
and Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone.

Are either appropriate for my intentions? Is the substantial hike in price for the HD-280 set worth it? Could anyone share their experience with either set of headphones?

I've had a pair of HD 280's for about 6 years and think they are great. They were tight when I first got them but they break in really well. I have a pair of M-Audio 40 speakers($140) and a pair of Phiaton MS400's headphones($230) and I think the 280's sound better than both.

Gav47

I've been looking at a pair of AKG K702s for €240, is there any other better sounding headphones in this price range.

LCfiner

Gav47 said:
I've been looking at a pair of AKG K702s for €240, is there any other better sounding headphones in this price range.

depends what kind of sound you are looking for. the 702 are known for being very detailed and neutral sounding but some people may prefer the sennheiser 650 which has more bass or the Grado 325 which is more fun and better for rock (but has a smaller soundstage)

The Denon D2000 are also in that price range and will have big bass.

Once you get to that price range there is no “best”. just various shifts that cater to different preferences in sound. it all becomes rather personal.

leng jai

Its pretty risky buying the K702s unless you are absolutely sure you're going to like them. They are easily the most polarizing headphone around due to their unique sound signature. I recently acquired a pair and to be honest, they aren't my cup of tea. The bass response, while relatively deep, has little impact. You just can't feel it, which is disastrous for a lot of genres. The soundstage is expansive, whether you like that or not is a personal preference. There are a lot people who believe it sounds artificial and dislike the effect it has on vocals.

Heres some K702 eye candy:

Top Bottom