• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Gav47

Ok I get it, that is probably why all the reviews I've read of the 702's seem to be aimed towards audio engineers and professional use. I know I like the sound of Grado headphones but the fact that you can replace the cables on the K702s is a really big boon for me as it has always been the weak link in any headphones I've bought.

Thanks for your suggestions you have given me a lot to research.

HiResDes

B33 said:
First-time buyer here. I'm relatively new to the notion of owning anything besides a pair of Apple headphones.

I'd like to purchase a pair of closed headphones for listening to music while working on my computer.

My budget is below $100 and I'd like to grab a pair that have some quality to them (even though I know my budget is on the lower end).

I've narrowed it down between two choices.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
and Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone.

Are either appropriate for my intentions? Is the substantial hike in price for the HD-280 set worth it? Could anyone share their experience with either set of headphones?
What kind of music do you listen to?

remz

Darklord said:
They seem a lot better from that but it's hard to tell with audiophiles just how much of a difference it really is. The headphones I have now would probably sound like a mess to them, where as I think they sound pretty good. I might stick with the AD700's. I just can't really justify such a mark up for slightly better balancing.
I don't think it'd be worth and upgrade. I got my ad900s on the cheap as an upgrade from Alessandro MS-1s and I love them , but I wouldn't say they are worth the extra amount of cash when you have awesome headphones already.

I mean I love them, love the comfort, love the sound and going back to my MS1s are hard. but if what I've heard about the ad700s are true, I don't think it's that much of a difference.

Fantastic headphones though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Darklord said:
They seem a lot better from that but it's hard to tell with audiophiles just how much of a difference it really is. The headphones I have now would probably sound like a mess to them, where as I think they sound pretty good. I might stick with the AD700's. I just can't really justify such a mark up for slightly better balancing.

I own a pair of 700's. I haven't tried the 900's, but I've heard many headphones better than the AD700's. Doesn't mean they are bad, for what you pay they are pretty decent. I bought them to accompany my Sony's which were hard on the temples... and my god, are the Audio Technica's comfortable. When working, I can easily wear them for several hours and forget they are on. Make sure you get a DAC or have a decent soundcard, the 700/900 can be pretty detailed and crisp with a good source.

B33

Banned
HiResDes said:
What kind of music do you listen to?
It ranges from film and game scores to a variety or rock, techno, classical, and what have you.

Laekon said:
I've had a pair of HD 280's for about 6 years and think they are great. They were tight when I first got them but they break in really well. I have a pair of M-Audio 40 speakers($140) and a pair of Phiaton MS400's headphones($230) and I think the 280's sound better than both.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Definitely leaning towards the HD 280 model.

areal

I've been thinking of getting some Beyerdynamic DT250/80s. I listened to a few pairs of headphones at a store and I liked the sound of these the best. They seemed quite clean and neutral. Are there any problems with these or is there anything much better for the same price, which is around 20,000 yen or $250 at the moment? They'll usually be driven by my laptop or my iPod and I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, but mainly electronic or alternative music such as Burial, Battles, Radiohead, Aphex Twin, etc.

Dibbz

Hey I'm looking to buy some headphones. Something budget price like under £100. Only requirements are that I could hook it up to my PC and PS3. Would I need some extra kit to do that or could I just plug the phones into my TV for the PS3 and headphone port on my PC?

Izayoi

Banned
areal said:
...and I bought them. They sound fantastic.
For around $250 you probably could've found a pair of DT-880s. Although prices in Japan are a little more out of whack right now because of the strong yen, so it's hard to say.

Gav47

Dibbz said:
I'm thinking of getting these headphones to use for gaming and watching movies. Only problem is it says they are optimised for ipods and mp3 players. That can't be good can it?

Sennheiser HD 448
Optimised for MP3/iPhones generally means a short cable and a longer 3.5mm jack so you can still use your iPhone 4 bumper. I has no bearing on audio quality other than the fact that they won't have a high impedance.

wrowa

Okay GAF, I'm moving soon and I will share the appartment with some other people. Since I don't want to annoy them with my music and gaming habbits, I'm searching for rather cheap (closed) headphones. Let's say round about 50€.

But which one am I supposed to take? I'd like to have more of a "general purpose" headphone; aka useable for movies, music, gaming and all of that daily stuff (however, I don't want a headset). I'm listening mostly to (indie) rock and I don't think I would enjoy a really strong bass very much.

poweld

Dibbz said:
I'm thinking of getting these headphones to use for gaming and watching movies. Only problem is it says they are optimised for ipods and mp3 players. That can't be good can it?

Sennheiser HD 448
I use them everyday at work. Have been for about a year and a half now, and for the price and being closed I don't think they can be beat.

The ipod bit is due to the fact that the cable is short, but it comes with a lengthy extension if needed. Don't be misled by that part.

Dibbz

poweld said:
I use them everyday at work. Have been for about a year and a half now, and for the price and being closed I don't think they can be beat.

The ipod bit is due to the fact that the cable is short, but it comes with a lengthy extension if needed. Don't be misled by that part.
Cool thanks man I've just ordered them :)

Amagon

Posting this in the gaming side but no avail.

Looking to replace my Tritton AX720 that serve me well when I was using it for the 360 & PS3. I see that the Astro Mixamp is capable of producing DD 7.1 so I'm looking for a headset (mic included) that will do the job. I prefer noise isolation as well!!

Izayoi

Banned
Rendition said:
What a good gaming headphone for Xbox 360/PC for $100 or less?
There are a lot of options. Are you looking for any particular form-factor (over-ear, on-ear)? Do you prefer any particular sound signature? Do you want noise isolation (closed-ear) or do you prefer a wider sound stage (open-ear)?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey guys. I'm trying to find a solid set of headphones for my PS3. They'll be used for gaming, blu-rays, and pretty much everything. I'm moving into an apartment and don't want to annoy neighbors at night and I just want something that will be better than TV sound. Evidently all of the "gamer" branded stuff is supposed to be a ripoff. I'm looking for something that will give me both quality sound and allow for a good sense of positional sound, the latter being a bit more important. I think these two sets of headphones seem like what I'm looking for but I also need to know what kind of miniamp I'd need to hook them up properly. I'm trying not to go above $180 total.

These are what I'm looking at:
Sennheiser HD 558 (what's the difference between these and the cheaper 555's)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEEY9A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMS0XU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Right now I'm leaning towards the ATH-AD700 since I've heard good thinks about it's positional sound and it's cheaper. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Pterion

Got my ATH-M50s. Pretty nice so far, although they have like 1 hour of burn-in. No amp yet, but it should be coming within the next few days. Converting a lot of CDs to FLAC and higher bitrate mp3s, so that should be good.

Next step should be Sennheiser HD800s, but that's in 3-4 years. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If I wanted to use my PS3 with it, would a FiiO E7 with an optical cable connection be enough or do I need something else? I know nothing about these amps.

arena08

RoboPlato said:
If I wanted to use my PS3 with it, would a FiiO E7 with an optical cable connection be enough or do I need something else? I know nothing about these amps.

The E7 doesn't have optical in. The only way I can think of is to output your PS3 audio via the RCA cable to a 3.5mm jack, using one of these:

CLB0_01.jpg

That 3.5mm jack goes into the E7 and then Robert's your father's brother.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RoboPlato said:

If you want to go with something with positional sound with optical the main choice is the Astro Mix Amp that has optical for Dolby Headphone support + regular audio in/out for stereo. All of the other standard headphone amps are gonna be for 2 channel stereo without optical support.

Cory_t_

I have a pair of ATH-A700's that I use for gaming. My PC and consoles run through my Onkyo TX-NR609 and that's what I plug the headphones into. Should I get a headphone amp and use that?

Ashhong

Cory_t_ said:
I have a pair of ATH-A700's that I use for gaming. My PC and consoles run through my Onkyo TX-NR609 and that's what I plug the headphones into. Should I get a headphone amp and use that?

No, don't bother. As long as the cables dont bother you, your Onkyo is doing more than enough.

Cory_t_

Ashhong said:
No, don't bother. As long as the cables dont bother you, your Onkyo is doing more than enough.

Thanks. I figured as much but I just wanted to make sure I was using these puppies to there full potential.

Ashhong

Well, I take that back. I honestly dont know how some like 300$ amp would serve you since I haven't been able to test that, but I do believe the Onkyo should be doing a great job in powering your headphones.

what are some good headphones for working out? im tired of the ipod earbuds (lulz), and I was looking for some headphones (preferred over earbuds) to wear while lifting/jogging, but will also have some good use for gaming as well.

I was looking to spend about $100 or less, seeing how I would be going to the gym with them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brettison said:
If you want to go with something with positional sound with optical the main choice is the Astro Mix Amp that has optical for Dolby Headphone support + regular audio in/out for stereo. All of the other standard headphone amps are gonna be for 2 channel stereo without optical support.
Is this the right thing?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=223328487&sellerid=34152738

If I got that and the ATH-A700s I'd be able to get good positional sound through my PS3's output, correct? What brand of optical cable should I get? Sorry for sounding so clueless. TV's are my specialty not audio. I'm getting a 50 inch GT30 plasma and I want to get some decent sound to go with it that won't make my neighbors hate me.

Vanillalite

RoboPlato said:
Is this the right thing?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=223328487&sellerid=34152738

If I got that and the ATH-A700s I'd be able to get good positional sound through my PS3's output, correct? What brand of optical cable should I get? Sorry for sounding so clueless. TV's are my specialty not audio. I'm getting a 50 inch GT30 plasma and I want to get some decent sound to go with it that won't make my neighbors hate me.

No that's the wireless mixamp....

You want the regular wired one... IDK what is up with it though as it's out of stock on Astro's Website and Amazon.... new model might be incoming...

Only get the Astro though if you want the Dolby Headphone as well as the regular 2 channel Stereo... if you don't care about Dolby Headphone then I'd just get the best fii0 you want to buy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brettison said:
No that's the wireless mixamp....

You want the regular wired one... IDK what is up with it though as it's out of stock on Astro's Website and Amazon.... new model might be incoming...

Only get the Astro though if you want the Dolby Headphone as well as the regular 2 channel Stereo... if you don't care about Dolby Headphone then I'd just get the best fii0 you want to buy.
Is this the right thing?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L6C6BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If I got that and the other things I mentioned would that be all I need?

LCfiner

for anyone in canada, the Adidas branded Sennheiser HD 25 I-II are on sale for 200 bucks.

they’re typically 300 CDN and 250 in the states. this puts them in line with the regular black versions without the adidas branding (which are hard to find in stores up here, from what I can tell)

Izayoi

Banned
Dibbz said:
Hey I'm looking to buy some headphones. Something budget price like under £100. Only requirements are that I could hook it up to my PC and PS3. Would I need some extra kit to do that or could I just plug the phones into my TV for the PS3 and headphone port on my PC?
Most of the time headphones come with an adapter to convert between 1/4" and 3.5mm.

RoboPlato said:
These are what I'm looking at:
Sennheiser HD 558 (what's the difference between these and the cheaper 555's)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEEY9A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMS0XU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Right now I'm leaning towards the ATH-AD700 since I've heard good thinks about it's positional sound and it's cheaper. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
The difference between the 555s and 558s is just the design of the casing, grill, and headband. Some say that the casing around the driver improves sound quality, but I haven't heard them so I can't comment. I do know, however, that with a simple mod you can turn the HD555s into the HD595s.

As for HD555s vs. the ATH-AD700s, I can't comment as I have not heard a pair of Audio Technicas before.

Vanillalite

RoboPlato said:
Is this the right thing?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L6C6BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If I got that and the other things I mentioned would that be all I need?

That's it, but your link says it's currently unavailable (it's out off stock direct from Astro as well). I'd be wondering if they are clearing stock for a new(er) model. Still you'd need the amp + optical cable to get it working with your PS3. Then you'd get Dolby Headphone.

Read more about the actual product HERE!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brettison said:
That's it, but your link says it's currently unavailable (it's out off stock direct from Astro as well). I'd be wondering if they are clearing stock for a new(er) model. Still you'd need the amp + optical cable to get it working with your PS3. Then you'd get Dolby Headphone.

Read more about the actual product HERE!
I know it's out of stock but I'll try to track it down. My amp do you mean the Astro or do I need another amp?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brettison said:
Oh just the Astro....
Cool. I downloaded the manual for it and it seems pretty cool and exactly like what I was looking for. I think I'll pair it with the ATH-AD700 to keep costs down. Hopefully they'll be back in stock or a new one will be out soon. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

HiResDes

kevo_huevo said:
what are some good headphones for working out? im tired of the ipod earbuds (lulz), and I was looking for some headphones (preferred over earbuds) to wear while lifting/jogging, but will also have some good use for gaming as well.

I was looking to spend about $100 or less, seeing how I would be going to the gym with them.
Fischer Audio Oldskool '70s

Amagon

So I'm looking at a few options here for my gaming needs and need your help. Which is the best combination I should get here.

-ASTRO Gaming Wireless MixAmp 5.8

-Ear Force DSS 7.1

-ASTRO A40 Headset

-Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Or should i wait it out for something better????

Vanillalite

THE NO LIFE KING said:
So I'm looking at a few options here for my gaming needs and need your help. Which is the best combination I should get here.

-ASTRO Gaming Wireless MixAmp 5.8

-Ear Force DSS 7.1

-ASTRO A40 Headset

-Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Or should i wait it out for something better????

Do you NEED a headset? Any pair of headphones will work with the wired Astro MixAmp and give you Surround Sound for Games via standard Stereo Headphones. I'd either get the Astro Amp + solid regular headphones and you can use both for more than gaming (such as regular music listening) and then use your current mic OR get the A40 because it's solid (way better than the A30s IMO for home use) and you can get a decent price if you get the combo with wired Astro Amp.

I'm not quite sold on the Wireless Astro amp to be quite honest.

Amagon

Brettison said:
Do you NEED a headset? Any pair of headphones will work with the wired Astro MixAmp and give you Surround Sound for Games via standard Stereo Headphones. I'd either get the Astro Amp + solid regular headphones and you can use both for more than gaming (such as regular music listening) and then use your current mic OR get the A40 because it's solid (way better than the A30s IMO for home use) and you can get a decent price if you get the combo with wired Astro Amp.

I'm not quite sold on the Wireless Astro amp to be quite honest.
Whats a good mic to get then?

My baby broke my Sony MDR3000 which I had been rocking for ages for my gaming needs.

Guys need some input, bought a Sennheiser HD 650 ($376) and a small amp today, it will be delivered tomorrow. I've heard great things about this set and I loved the demo I got at the store.

However, I am not an audiophile by any means. I bought these mainly to have a good set of head phones for my gaming + music needs. At the store, I ran into a DJ who plays at a big club here in Chengdu (China). His opinion was that Sennheisers were overpriced 2nd grade headphones and I should invest in AKG. Specifically AKG Q701 ( Quincy Jones branded).

What is Gaf's opinion? the price difference b/w the HD 650 and AKG 701 is negligible and I can still make a swap.

TL,DR What say you GAF? keep the HD 650 or swap for an AKG 701?

LordCanti

diarrhea_pangs said:
My baby broke my Sony MDR3000 which I had been rocking for ages for my gaming needs.

Guys need some input, bought a Sennheiser HD 650 ($376) and a small amp today, it will be delivered tomorrow. I've heard great things about this set and I loved the demo I got at the store.

However, I am not an audiophile by any means. I bought these mainly to have a good set of head phones for my gaming + music needs. At the store, I ran into a DJ who plays at a big club here in Chengdu (China). His opinion was that Sennheisers were overpriced 2nd grade headphones and I should invest in AKG. Specifically AKG Q701 ( Quincy Jones branded).

What is Gaf's opinion? the price difference b/w the HD 650 and AKG 701 is negligible and I can still make a swap.

TL,DR What say you GAF? keep the HD 650 or swap for an AKG 701?

I have the K701's and I love them. They are more neutral/analytical than the HD650's though, so if you need bass that knocks your socks off, go for the darker HD650's. The HD650's are still world class though, even if they aren't Sennheiser's flagship model anymore.

In any case, I wouldn't game with either headphone. Way overpriced for that function, and you'll need a better amp than your PC can provide to really take advantage of them anyway (you could get a standalone DAC of course, but that is more money). There are $100 Senn's/ Audio-Technica's that are far superior at in-game audio.

I wouldn't bother with the QJ model of AKG, in any case. His name attached kicks the price up for no reason.

Echoes

opticalmace said:
What are the best mp3 players for sound quality? Variable budget.

Bonus points if they support FLAC and have a real line-out.
I wanna know this as well. The iPod makes it real easy with syncing music though, that I'm not sure if I want manual-syncing anymore. And my files are ALAC (not FLAC). Any good stuff for my preferences?

I love my Klipsch S4 but they stick out of my ear more often than not. Is there something better (sound-wise) that doesn't pop up/get loose every now and then? I want a new IEM.

LordCanti

Echoes said:
I wanna know this as well. The iPod makes it real easy with syncing music though, that I'm not sure if I want manual-syncing anymore. And my files are ALAC (not FLAC). Any good stuff for my preferences?

I love my Klipsch S4 but they stick out of my ear more often than not. Is there something better (sound-wise) that doesn't pop up/get loose every now and then? I want a new IEM.

Could always go for custom IEM's (Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Westone, etc). $400 or so on the low end, but fitted to your ear like a glove.

LCfiner

Echoes said:

Recommending IEMS for comfort is tricky because all our ears are different. However, if you can't get customs, I would recommend Westone. They fit into my ears amazingly well. Better than any other IEMS or earbud I've ever used.

And they have a good range of prices to choose from.

Top Bottom