• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60% of Britons want to keep EU citizenship

Fularu

Banned
Lol I love all these people being like bye bye Felicia, when of argue it's in the best interest of the EU for Britian to stay. People really want to be vindictive that badly?
The UK has played the obstructionist game in the EU ever since they joined it. They do far more harm than good to the union.

jelly

I don't think you understand the issue at all. The people I'm talking about a) don't earn the minimum wage and b) don't earn a wage at all. They're self employed, what they "earn" is defined by what they're able to charge their clients. A greater number of options means this sum they can charge goes down - that's good for us who utilise their services, but it's bad for them, because their income goes down despite doing the same job. It's not "companies paying them".

Who could they vote for that was offering to do this in 2016? Or 2015, in fact? The option of leaving the EU was actually something they could vote for.

I'm sure there is cheap cowboys whatever nationality they are but I don't think it depresses the earnings of tradesmen that much if at all, competition for jobs, perhaps but I know tradesmen who are doing fine and have people lined up constantly, plumber and sparkies. People live here and do the work, materials, equipment, time etc. do not have a lot of movement. You get what you pay for and most people will not go cheap or very high so it naturally settles in the middle and trust, word of mouth goes a long way. Where does it end honestly, sorry, no new tradesmen in this area. As long as the government makes sure people have the right licenses and people aren't stupid, go for good tradesmen, I think it's okay and fair. A foreigner isn't necessarily a bad tradesmen so they should be allowed to compete. As for low skilled jobs, again government needs to make sure a fair wage is being paid, people aren't living in six beds to a room etc. There is ways to make it fairer and right.

One area I want to see though is apprenticeships, training being provided and forced on companies to give opportunities to UK citizens and help school, college leavers make the jump, I think we have failed society a bit there because not everyone is set for Uni. It's okay to allow people from other countries get a job but more focus should be put on UK citizens along with it.

Theonik

But then if the result had been, say, 56% then there would be an outcry about how the government isn't acting on the majority's wishes.
I mean if Cameron had listened to Nigel Farage they'd have required a 66% majority to get it through. If he'd listened to Sturgeon a vote in all 4 countries would be needed. Both would have saved us from this mess!

jelly

I mean if Cameron had listened to Nigel Farage they'd have required a 66% majority to get it through. If he'd listened to Sturgeon a vote in all 4 countries would be needed. Both would have saved us from this mess!

I hate him for that. He was so clueless and gambled.

To...? Come on, don't leave us hanging here. XD
Watch the post be edited and the end suddenly having a change of tone and Theresa Mays voice playing like Lisa's letter from her pen pal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0tkoJY_mk

There will not be another vote on this, no matter how much it is needed.

This isn't even a binding referendum, they could have just ignored the result or used it to point out how ridiculous it is to have a referendum on something like this in the first place.
But Theresa May doesn't like the European * and before you say "but she was pro remain" she is also power hungry so probably feared losing her cabinet position if she was not remain and what is honesty to her; she is a politician.

Plus think of the poor marginalized Tory party, they'll be fighting each other over Europe again if they do what is right for a country and end this ridiculous farce. I'm sure they will find something to in-fight and stab each over the back without Europe though.

but Farage said we could
Who? Oh, the estranged husband who lives in self imposed house arrest as everybody hates him. Also a member of the European parliament (who only shows up to rant that they suck) and former leader of a political party that is now on life support having burned through multiple leaders in twelve months and losing 80% of it's vote as it has no relevance any more.

I don't think you understand the issue at all. The people I'm talking about a) don't earn the minimum wage and b) don't earn a wage at all. They're self employed, what they "earn" is defined by what they're able to charge their clients. A greater number of options means this sum they can charge goes down - that's good for us who utilise their services, but it's bad for them, because their income goes down despite doing the same job. It's not "companies paying them".

You literally couldn't be more wrong.

I'm an electrician working in London and used to be self employed.

I can go look about for work on any job site and find sub contractor work that pays upto and beyond £20 an hour EASILY. And I live in London where immigration is probably the highest in the UK.

I literally made the decision to earn less than that favouring a stable job over higher pay based on my own individual circumstances.

When it comes to the bigger issues of employment and immigrants, skilled work is NOT the issue most will bring up.

Skilled Labour in this country is LACKING and we do t have enough. Just look at any jobsite.There are jobs for skilled tradesmen all of the damn shop.

The vast majority of negative conversation comes from people complaining of unskilled workers being drafted in for super low wages and leaving those on the lower end of the skills scale (who also tend to be the poorer peoole) out of luck.

Which is why I said your argument about the plumber being irrelevant in the grand scheme of this discussion and is not part of a cogent argument for leaving the EU.

Like I said, large companies drafting in I.migrants at low prices is an argument for legislation regarding lower wage limits and fair pay rules, not leaving the flipping EU.

Our people supposedly being priced out of low skilled work is an argument for focusing on training up our people to make up for the lack of skilled landing our needed to keep up with demand, not leaving the flipping EU.

Blaming everything on the damn EU instead of sorting out our issues at home is part of why we're leaving.. Things our government could and should have been taking care of is all the EUs fault. We better realise we need to stop doing that if we're going to leave the EU because the next scapegoat for EVERYTHING wrong someone's life could be you next.

I'm sure there is cheap cowboys whatever nationality they are but I don't think it depresses the earnings of tradesmen that much if at all, competition for jobs, perhaps but I know tradesmen who are doing fine and have people lined up constantly, plumber and sparkies. People live here and do the work, materials, equipment, time etc. do not have a lot of movement. You get what you pay for and most people will not go cheap or very high so it naturally settles in the middle and trust, word of mouth goes a long way. Where does it end honestly, sorry, no new tradesmen in this area. As long as the government makes sure people have the right licenses and people aren't stupid, go for good tradesmen, I think it's okay and fair. A foreigner isn't necessarily a bad tradesmen so they should be allowed to compete. As for low skilled jobs, again government needs to make sure a fair wage is being paid, people aren't living in six beds to a room etc. There is ways to make it fairer and right.

One area I want to see though is apprenticeships, training being provided and forced on companies to give opportunities to UK citizens and help school, college leavers make the jump, I think we have failed society a bit there because not everyone is set for Uni. It's okay to allow people from other countries get a job but more focus should be put on UK citizens along with it.

Indeed.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The UK has played the obstructionist game in the EU ever since they joined it. They do far more harm than good to the union.
Our stupid we are the best mentality has but I don't doubt that we contributed loads financially and diplomatically to the EU until we went full on Brexit we did have influence in the EU and strangely excellent deals and perks within. Yet our arrogance pushed it too far.

Dougald

Who? Oh, the estranged husband who lives in self imposed house arrest as everybody hates him. Also a member of the European parliament (who only shows up to rant that they suck) and former leader of a political party that is now on life support having burned through multiple leaders in twelve months and losing 80% of it's vote as it has no relevance any more.

Yeah but I saw a picture of him drinking a pint

This cogent argument for voting leave is getting weaker with each post.

Eh? You said "Well they should have done X" when X wasn't an option. What do you think those people should have actually done? Like, actually. Practically. Literally?

You literally couldn't be more wrong.

I'm an electrician working in London and used to be self employed.

I can go look about for work on any job site and find sub contractor work that pays upto and beyond £20 an hour EASILY. And I live in London where immigration is probably the highest in the UK.

I literally made the decision to earn less than that favouring a stable job over higher pay based on my own individual circumstances.

London is also where the vast majority of the building work is. I'm glad you have options.

When it comes to the bigger issues of employment and immigrants, skilled work is NOT the issue most will bring up.

I don't understand why you're so keen to make my argument about other things. Why does it matter what "most will bring up"?

Skilled Labour in this country is LACKING and we do t have enough. Just look at any jobsite.There are jobs for skilled tradesmen all of the damn shop.

The vast majority of negative conversation comes from people complaining of unskilled workers being drafted in for super low wages and leaving those on the lower end of the skills scale (who also tend to be the poorer peoole) out of luck.

Which is why I said your argument about the plumber being irrelevant in the grand scheme of this discussion and is not part of a cogent argument for leaving the EU.

Like I said, large companies drafting in I.migrants at low prices is an argument for legislation regarding lower wage limits and fair pay rules, not leaving the flipping EU.

Our people supposedly being priced out of low skilled work is an argument for focusing on training up our people to make up for the lack of skilled landing our needed to keep up with demand, not leaving the flipping EU.

Blaming everything on the damn EU instead of sorting out our issues at home is part of why we're leaving.. Things our government could and should have been taking care of is all the EUs fault. We better realise we need to stop doing that if we're going to leave the EU because the next scapegoat for EVERYTHING wrong someone's life could be you next.

You're consistently ignoring what I'm saying. I can't find any more ways of saying it.

Eh? You said "Well they should have done X" when X wasn't an option. What do you think those people should have actually done? Like, actually. Practically. Literally?
Vote for a party that would have addressed their issues in a real way.

I guess the problem is mostly that the UK doesn't have any real political alternatives, you just have Conservatives and Labour. Same issue as the US really, with their Republicans and Democrats.

In other countries, it seems more possible to vote in alternatives if the current parties don't do the stuff the people want. The two party system just sucks.

London is also where the vast majority of the building work is. I'm glad you have options.

I don't understand why you're so keen to make my argument about other things. Why does it matter what "most will bring up"?

You're consistently ignoring what I'm saying. I can't find any more ways of saying it.

1. You said a plumber in barnsley would want to leave because of immigration is a cogent argument for leavi g the EU.

2. I Replied that Barnsley probably has negligible immigration.

3. You called this argument purposefully obtuse and stated you could use this argument for anywhere.

4. I stated that skilled Labour such as plumbing is in demand in a place that is not Barnsley and that unskilled labour is the actual issue that most leave voters will actually cite in these types of convos and that it would be much easier solved by government legislation instead of leaving the EU, which is not going to make companies want to pay more.

5. You ask me why I keep trying to make the argument about issues that DO exist like large companies wanting to pay peanuts, our lack of skilled workers and not the imaginary scenario of a plumber in Barnsley being out priced by the non existent immigration in his area.

And all of this somehow is supposedly a cogent argument for leaving the EU.

Okay.

I mean, why wouldn't they?

"Would you like to have more options, or less?"
The majority voted for less, they should accept the consequences of their actions.

It's high time we stopped covering for people's stupidity, they need to feel the pain of their actions.

That's not what the poll question for this topic was about, though.
It just asked "Would you like to have EU citizenship? Y/N"

If you asked people in the US: "Do you want to have health insurance? Y/N" the overwhelming majority would vote Y. The fact that many of them voted in the election for an option that makes them less likely to do so doesn't change that.

Another way of viewing it - if you asked people "Would you like an extra $1,000,000 / £1,000,000" almost everyone would vote "Yes." Why wouldn't you? There's no reason not to. That's all this poll really is. The fact that it's so relatively low indicates that some people were taking it at more than face value to begin with. Since, at face value, there's literally no reason not to say Yes.

If anything this makes me question polling practices in their country. I have never seen a single poll quoted in the media which has accurately predicted an election result.

Its like with the whole Trumpgrets meme in America, most people that voted for him dont care about the consequences of his rise and would probably do it again. It is all wishful thinking by liberals.

Dougald

If anything this makes me question polling practices in their country. I have never seen a single poll quoted in the media which has accurately predicted an election result.

Brexit polling was pretty on the money (as being too close to call) and YouGov successfully predicted a hung parliament just a couple weeks ago. The polls were wrong in 2015 but not at the last two British elections

It's not like the EU is teached about much in germany.

Basically the only thing you learn in school about the EU is that you can take a school trip to holland

I guess that depends on the school you visit.

We got taught a lot about the EU and it's predecessor EWG/EEC.

scamander

Banned
It's not like the EU is teached about much in germany.

Basically the only thing you learn in school about the EU is that you can take a school trip to holland

I learned extensively about the (back then) three pillars of the EU when I was in school and can confirm, that at least in Hesse and Lower Saxony the EU is a fundamental part of political education in upper school. Each state is responsible for their own curricula, but I'd be surprised if the EU were actually not an important topic in one of them.

Also, if you do a school trip that has anything to do with the EU, you are probably visiting either Brussels or Strasbourg and not the Netherlands.

Most people voted for Brexit because they wanted to get rid of the four pillars, mainly free movement. (Note: They obviously thought about the free movement foreigners have, they didn't think being against that would also mean that they will their own lose free movement
within the EU, too.)

Leaving the EU but keeping the four pillars would be a middle ground that would leave Leavers and Remainers unhappy.

It would basically just means that Britain would have to pay a lot of money, loses its influence on EU regulations, but still has to abide by it and has to negotiate new trade deals with the entire world.

All that while still not getting any of the things the Brexiters campaigned with.

Bottom line is... Brexit was incredibly stupid. No one who voted for it actually thought it through.

The smartest thing the UK could do right now is to

If they stay in the Trade and Customs union, the UK does not have to renegotiate trade deals with anyone, as it belongs to the Single Market. It does lose any say in regulations tho.
Brexit was the most stupid decision of the century so far by the UK. Hopefully they can still mitigate the damage.

Beefy

So many shit posts in this thread. You have to accept 48% didn't want to leave, it wasn't 100% vote to leave. Bit like all American's didn't vote Trump, so you can't blame everyone for the shit he is doing.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
2. That replacement would need to basically commit career suicide by going against the results of the referendum and reverse the decision to leave

There's an easy way around that; a second referendum on the terms of the Brexit agreement, this time with proper teeth to it. Though yes, there's every chance that lies and stupidity would see the wrong result from this one too.

Top Bottom