• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60% of Britons want to keep EU citizenship

duh.

I mean I voted remain and with the current result, I sure as shit would want to keep EU rights.

Luckly I married me a fine Portuguese woman, so I'm in the clear. ;)

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I voted remain and I resent having my EU rights taken away from me. The government designated leave team openly lied in a way even Farage contested (£350m a week to the NHS), there is a case to be made for foreign interference with online discourse, Theresa May is using Brexit as a Trojan Horse for her long public campaign to strip away human rights, and the country will be economically crippled for decades.

Sign me up for a paid Netflix subscription to be a EU citizen, just so I remain under the ECHR.

VegiHam

These threads are always depressing, with the incessant lazy comments cast about like;

All leavers are racist
Or stupid
No one who voted Leave thought it through
Etc

I mean really, it's the internet and all, and everyone's generalising, but the inability to appreciate wider motives than the above displays a lack of intelligence IMO.

Even just a cursory trawl round the internet would find you coherent arguments against the EU, whether you subscribe to them or not.

I wanna see those coherent arguments. Sure as shit didn't see them from the leave campaign who just lied non stop transparently.

No, what's really depressing is that my future was stolen by idiots who either a) hate the polish and are scared of muslims or B) got tricked by a fucking bus.

Have you seen people who vote for conservatives and right in general, the people who hate minorities and immigrants are pretty much people who have never left the place they are from, most of them don't know any other countries, hell I even imagine some of them haven't even get a foot in an airplane, so why would they want that if they will never leave?.

Lol. Disdain for the working classes are alive and well.

jWILL253

Banned
These threads are always depressing, with the incessant lazy comments cast about like;

All leavers are racist
Or stupid
Etc

I mean really, it's the internet and all, and everyone's generalising, but the inability to appreciate wider motives than the above displays a lack of intelligence IMO.

Even just a cursory trawl round the internet would find you coherent arguments against the EU, whether you subscribe to them or not.

Got any examples, or are you just shitposting?

TeddyBoy

I'm not surprised to see statistics like this, most leavers thought they could have their cake and eat it.

I wonder how many British actually really knew what the EU is, how it works and what it did for them. Is the EU on the curriculum in schools there?

Lol there isn't any politics of any kind in schools in the UK. If you want to, you can choose to do Politics perhaps at 15 or then again at 17 if your school/college has the option (a lot don't).

A lot of people get their news in the UK get it from the Daily Mail, the Sun and the Express who are all Euroskeptic papers.

The Guardian is the most European friendly paper in the UK and that's just because it's quite balanced.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Lol there isn't any politics of any kind in schools in the UK. If you want to, you can choose to do Politics perhaps at 15 or then again at 17 if your school/college has the option (a lot don't).

A lot of people get their news in the UK get it from the Daily Mail, the Sun and the Express who are all Euroskeptic papers.

The Guardian is the most European friendly paper in the UK and that's just because it's quite balanced.

Don't make the mistake in thinking that the left-leaning papers don't also operate with their own agendas and bias.

The closest thing you're going to get to a neutral rag is the FT.

I don't see why this statistic is strange, people voted for EU nationals not be allowed freely into the UK, not for UK nationals not to be allowed freely into the EU.

That one implies the other doesn't mean much for a eat cake and have it too mindset.

TeddyBoy

Don't make the mistake in thinking that the left-leaning papers don't also operate with their own agendas and bias.

The closest thing you're going to get to a neutral rag is the FT.

Oh I know it has an agenda (mostly pro-Liberal Democrats), but the Guardian is good enough to call a spade a spade and give praise when it's due as well.

why go to the mediterranean when skegness is right there

If this 60%'s main concern is being able to go abroad on holiday, I'm sure that'll still be very easy to do after Brexit. I've been to plenty of non-EU countries for holiday that either didn't require a visa at all, or just required a landing card to be filled in on the plane.

Push comes to shove, there's always Gibraltar if you want to go to the med :p

Dougald

If this 60%'s main concern is being able to go abroad on holiday, I'm sure that'll still be very easy to do after Brexit. I've been to plenty of non-EU countries for holiday that either didn't require a visa at all, or just required a landing card to be filled in on the plane.

Push comes to shove, there's always Gibraltar if you want to go to the med :p

Oh I'm sure temporary tourist visits will be easy enough with something like visa waiver, I was more taking the piss out of those 'what's wrong with a holiday here' types who can't appreciate the world outside

They definitely wouldn't go to Gibraltar

Still hoping we end up with freedom of movement - we can't surely be heading for a total car crash can we?

There has - multiple times in other EU threads

But the same lazy rhetoric gets repeated

However as GAF is pretty much majority in favour of remain
It's generally just safer for the Leave voters to stay quiet otherwise they get dogs abuse thrown at them

Seen it a few times

Same way anyone who says they're a Conservative voter

For the record - couldn't vote in either election as not a resident
So pretty unbiased observation I'd hope

All leavers are racist
Or stupid
Etc

Oh so we are lacking intelligence for not appreciating the wider motives of leaving the EU, and which you gave no example of.

Let me sum up your post: Guys your arguments are invalid because I said so and y'all are dumb for not understanding it.

But hey if you do enjoy the brexit your countrymen seems to have changed their minds for whatever reasons.. oh wait Maybe they have forgotten those motives you speak of!

jWILL253

Banned

I don't understand the need to have "balanced" news outside of the legal adherence to the old Fairness Doctrine.

I don't want "balanced", because all that means is you're gonna have some bullshit on your site or channel. Because the most effort these news sources make to be "balanced" is paying an asshat to write some contrarian bullshit that has no basis in reality.

I want close to the objective truth as possible when it comes to news. Keep commentary to a minimum, or separate it from the actual news.

There has - multiple times in other EU threads

Okay... for the sake of THIS thread... name some of the benefits of voting Leave.

However as GAF is pretty much majority in favour of remain
It's generally just safer for the Leave voters to stay quiet otherwise they get dogs abuse thrown at them

Seen it a few times

Same way anyone who says they're a Conservative voter

For the record - couldn't vote in either election as not a resident
So pretty unbiased observation I'd hope

People don't get dogpiled or banned for being conservative.

They get dogpiled or banned for being disingenuous in their rhetoric and hiding their intentions while making bad faith arguments.

For instance, when someone walks into a thread about race issues in America, and that person goes "Well geez guys, I just don't understand why everyone is upset about the latest cop-involved shooting where a Black person died, maybe he actually was a criminal?" And then people will try to explain to that person why folks are upset, and that person continues to post from a perspective of benign ignorance... only to look in his post history, and see either this very same trope in all of his posts regarding race, or even embracing racist rhetoric in the past.

That'll get you dogpiled or banned in a heartbeat.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That would mean that all those pesky Europeans could come into Britain in the same easy way.

boxoctosis

Oh so we are lacking intelligence for not appreciating the wider motives of leaving the EU, and which you gave no example of.

Let me sum up your post: Guys your arguments are invalid because I said so and y'all are dumb for not understanding it.

But hey if you do enjoy the brexit your countrymen seems to have changed their minds for whatever reasons.. oh wait Maybe they have forgotten those motives you speak of!

A very good link to a whole raft of examples is on the previous page. I hope you'll forgive me not summarising something so thoroughly complex in a post here though.

Romez

This is one of the main reasons why I just don't understand some Brexiters (sadly there are probably a big number who voted Leave with the hope of retaining free travel etc).

Like, what could someone, as a British citizen, possibly have to lose by being able to move freely around Europe? Literally mind-boggling why someone wouldn't want this for themselves. I guess people enjoy filling in visa forms and paying fees???

The majority who voted leave don't give a shit about freedom of movement.

They have a British Empire island mentality, the thought of traveling across Europe doesn't cross their minds until they want to retire in Spain or France.

avaya

All leavers are racist
Or stupid
Etc

All leavers aren't racist, it is likely the majority of them are though, the rest are just ignorant. It is their core demographic.

The plurality of the leave vote is categorically less intelligent/well educated - we have the actual data to show that.

There are no sensible arguments for leaving the European Union which don't boil down to the fundamental issue of immugration. There is no economic rationale for wanting to leave the EU. None. This is not even a point of contention anymore, the other side simply talk of damage limitation or "I know we will be worse off but it's worth it" i.e. I prioritise my racism over my and my country's economic well being.

This isn't lazy. This is the unadulterated truth. It's a cult of stupid through and through. A national disgrace.

That would mean that all those pesky Europeans could come into Britain in the same easy way.

Ok? I never got the impression that Leave voters were anti-tourism

Edit:

The plurality of the leave vote is categorically less intelligent/well educated - we have the actual data to show that.

Do you have data for the "categorically less intelligent" claim? I don't think it's the same thing as "less well educated".

jelly

The majority who voted leave don't give a shit about freedom of movement.

They have a British Empire island mentality, the thought of traveling across Europe doesn't cross their minds until they want to retire in Spain or France.

Soon to be with no public health care. Whoops.

I wanna see those coherent arguments. Sure as shit didn't see them from the leave campaign who just lied non stop transparently.

No, what's really depressing is that my future was stolen by idiots who either a) hate the polish and are scared of muslims or B) got tricked by a fucking bus.

I'm on my phone, I'll post properly later. But one thing that's important to remember is that the EU impacts different people in markedly different ways. I'm a 29 year old, middle class university graduate working in the Creative Industries in London. I benefit overwhelmingly from the EU, which is why I voted to remain. I get to travel very easily, I have a diverse set of colleagues from all over Europe (and the world, actually), I have skills that are in demand all over Europe and I'm mobile enough to make good on that possibility if I were so inclined, and I speak decent French. When my pipes burst the plumber costs far less than they used to and if I need to move house I can pay a bunch of Romanians a quarter of the price I'd have had to have paid a removals company ten years ago. Great!

But if I'm a 23 year old from Barnsley that's just spent three years doing an apprenticeship in electrics where I got paid about 20p an hour and now find myself in a market place that's got significantly more supply of labour without significantly more demand from customers, I'm very likely to see my future prospects negatively impacted. In fact, we know this is true because I listed above one of the benefits to me is that this kind of stuff is cheaper for me. Maybe this hypothetical kid from Barnsley's dad was a plumber, and he's seen his work slow down, or he's had to take a pay cut to maintain his customer base. Their quality of life has diminished, because "the trades" have always been a way for working class people to earn a decent wage with a skill who's demand is steady - and now that's being challenged. This guy from Barnsley's unlikely to speak a European language fluently, doesn't have a university degree, after several years of an apprenticeship is unlikely to be mobile and able to benefit from opportunities across the single market (all whilst that same opportunity to others is diluting his client base at home).

Local resources can get strained, because the places migrants want to live isn't uniformly distributed around the country. Is this a failure of government? In a way. If there's an increase in demand in a certain area, it shouldn't really matter if that demand comes from migration or local population growth. But migration being the driver can make these issues far more difficult - having children who speak multiple different languages in a classroom makes it harder to teach in a way that the same number of kids who otherwise speak English would be. Likewise with the provision of most local services. Road's can't simply be enlarged to accommodate a greater number of people in residential areas, and the non-uniform distribution of people means that the desirable places to live suffer an even more extreme peak in demand for housing, which pushes up prices for everyone in these areas.

Over the last year or so, I've seen lots of graphs and tables showing the strong positive correlation between the extent of education and voting remain, the implication always being that more educated people are smarter, ergo voting remain was the smarter choice, ergo voting leave means you're a dummy. What this fails to recognise, I think, is that the better educated and the higher class you are, the more you have to gain from being a member of the EU, and the opposite is also true. The EU doesn't offer people with limited opportunities in the UK much of anything except increased competition for their local jobs. These aren't people who are able to take up trendy hipster jobs in Berlin start ups, or go work in the corporate gambling industry in Malta. These are people who declined going to university, because the job they wanted doesn't come at the end of a degree, and thus the manner in which they benefit from the EU is that shop prices are slightly cheaper by virtue of smaller tariffs and paying their staff less due to a diluted labour market.

So when you have people like Anticol up there going "Hurgh duh duh, these idiots have probably never even been on a plane!!" He's actually on to something, but he's coming at it from the idea that they're small minded little englanders, as opposed to people with limited opportunities, who don't go abroad on holiday every year and thus have little to gain from the EU.

Note that I haven't mentioned anything about the social changes that can occur when a population of an area changes really quite rapidly - which can be alienating to people that have lived there a long time, and this alone doesn't make them xenophobic - and remember as well that I voted remain. But the bit I hate is the fact people seem to struggle to acknowledge that the EU affects people differently, and all the ONS statistics about how immigration benefits the UK and blah blah blah doesn't mean much to people who feel they've been personally negatively affected by it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Surely you can see the difference between tourists taking photos of Buckingham Palace and economic migration?

I think the people Quiche have an issue with are neither nor. Or rather they wouldn't care about their legal status once they're in.

A very good link to a whole raft of examples is on the previous page. I hope you'll forgive me not summarising something so thoroughly complex in a post here though.

The so called link you posted after people called you out of not linking anything? You do know that I quoted your original post which provided no links whatsoever or arguments.

Additionally your link reference a book review of an economist who is in favor of brexit, there are equally as many other economists who are against brexit.

You complain that people don't understand the bigger motives, yet after being prompted you link a book review which doesn't show those bigger motives you speak of. Or are we expected to go and buy this book right now to get what you meant?

Threads are made to argue and discuss. You just barked in, called people dumb without giving your own opinion and arguments on the matter and after being prompt to, you gave a link to a book review of an economist who is in favor but the review provide no arguments.

Excuse me if I expect a little more. Or maybe your post is just for complaining and not discussing anything?

keep

There are perfectly acceptable arguments from the left to be out of the EU.

If Britain was a fairer society, with a more equal distribution of wealth and a different kind of economy fuelling the country, it would make a lot more sense not to be in the EU, as it would benefit from setting their own agricultural quotas, protect certain industries, guarantee workers' rights, etc. It's not 'taking back control', but rather being able to self-manage and provide for everyone.

The reality, though, is that Britain has an extremely, race-to-the-bottom capitalistic economy where profits before people attitudes and predatory financial markets prevail and this cannot be dismantled overnight, so leaving the EU will not grant freedom to create a more just society but rather the complete opposite.

Chinner

Banned
This will probably be the 48% of voters who voted remain and then 12% of leaver voters who still want cheap holidays to Magaluf and Benidorm so they can have fights over football games.

boxoctosis

The so called link you posted after people called you out of not linking anything? You do know that I quoted your original post which provided no links whatsoever or arguments.

Additionally your link reference a book review of an economist who is in favor of brexit, there are equally as many other economists who are against brexit.

You complain that people don't understand the bigger motives, yet after being prompted you link a book review which doesn't show those bigger motives you speak of. Or are we expected to go and buy this book right now to get what you meant?

Threads are made to argue and discuss. You just barked in, called people dumb without giving your own opinion and arguments on the matter and after being prompt to, you gave a link to a book review of an economist who is in favor but the review provide no arguments.

Excuse me if I expect a little more. Or maybe your post is just for complaining and not discussing anything?

All I was pointing out was that there are plenty of good reasons to vote Leave, to reject the EU and that the narrative that all Leave voters are stupid, racist and/or ignorant is a lazy one.

I don't expect anyone now to shift their position on Brexit itself, but I think some appreciation of the concerns that have led the UK to where it is might be a good thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are perfectly acceptable arguments from the left to be out of the EU.

If Britain was a fairer society, with a more equal distribution of wealth and a different kind of economy fuelling the country, it would make a lot more sense not to be in the EU, as it would benefit from setting their own agricultural quotas, protect certain industries, guarantee workers' rights, etc. It's not 'taking back control', but rather being able to self-manage and provide for everyone.

The reality, though, is that Britain has an extremely, race-to-the-bottom capitalistic economy where profits before people attitudes and predatory financial markets prevail and this cannot be dismantled overnight, so leaving the EU will not grant freedom to create a more just society but rather the complete opposite.

I thing the idea would be that Labour takes over the Government and implements enough left leaning measures to compensate for the protection that EU rules provided before Brexit. Ignoring of course that any following Tory government can reverse those as soon as they come into power. Also ignoring that a Tory government was and still is into power for some years to come.

This will probably be the 48% of voters who voted remain and then 12% of leaver voters who still want cheap holidays to Magaluf and Benidorm so they can have fights over football games.

Well the latest poll has support for remaining in the EU at 54%, so half of that 12% now aren't in favour of leaving at all. What a shitshow.

I'm on my phone, I'll post properly later. But one thing that's important to remember is that the EU impacts different people in markedly different ways. I'm a 29 year old, middle class university graduate working in the Creative Industries in London. I benefit overwhelmingly from the EU, which is why I voted to remain. I get to travel very easily, I have a diverse set of colleagues from all over Europe (and the world, actually), I have skills that are in demand all over Europe and I'm mobile enough to make good on that possibility if I were so inclined, and I speak decent French. When my pipes burst the plumber costs far less than they used to and if I need to move house I can pay a bunch of Romanians a quarter of the price I'd have had to have paid a removals company ten years ago. Great!

But if I'm a 23 year old from Barnsley that's just spent three years doing an apprenticeship in electrics where I got paid about 20p an hour and now find myself in a market place that's got significantly more supply of labour without significantly more demand from customers, I'm very likely to see my future prospects negatively impacted. In fact, we know this is true because I listed above one of the benefits to me is that this kind of stuff is cheaper for me. Maybe this hypothetical kid from Barnsley's dad was a plumber, and he's seen his work slow down, or he's had to take a pay cut to maintain his customer base. Their quality of life has diminished, because "the trades" have always been a way for working class people to earn a decent wage with a skill who's demand is steady - and now that's being challenged. This guy from Barnsley's unlikely to speak a European language fluently, doesn't have a university degree, after several years of an apprenticeship is unlikely to be mobile and able to benefit from opportunities across the single market (all whilst that same opportunity to others is diluting his client base at home).

Local resources can get strained, because the places migrants want to live isn't uniformly distributed around the country. Is this a failure of government? In a way. If there's an increase in demand in a certain area, it shouldn't really matter if that demand comes from migration or local population growth. But migration being the driver can make these issues far more difficult - having children who speak multiple different languages in a classroom makes it harder to teach in a way that the same number of kids who otherwise speak English would be. Likewise with the provision of most local services. Road's can't simply be enlarged to accommodate a greater number of people in residential areas, and the non-uniform distribution of people means that the desirable places to live suffer an even more extreme peak in demand for housing, which pushes up prices for everyone in these areas.

Over the last year or so, I've seen lots of graphs and tables showing the strong positive correlation between the extent of education and voting remain, the implication always being that more educated people are smarter, ergo voting remain was the smarter choice, ergo voting leave means you're a dummy. What this fails to recognise, I think, is that the better educated and the higher class you are, the more you have to gain from being a member of the EU, and the opposite is also true. The EU doesn't offer people with limited opportunities in the UK much of anything except increased competition for their local jobs. These aren't people who are able to take up trendy hipster jobs in Berlin start ups, or go work in the corporate gambling industry in Malta. These are people who declined going to university, because the job they wanted doesn't come at the end of a degree, and thus the manner in which they benefit from the EU is that shop prices are slightly cheaper by virtue of smaller tariffs and paying their staff less due to a diluted labour market.

So when you have people like Anticol up there going "Hurgh duh duh, these idiots have probably never even been on a plane!!" He's actually on to something, but he's coming at it from the idea that they're small minded little englanders, as opposed to people with limited opportunities, who don't go abroad on holiday every year and thus have little to gain from the EU.

Note that I haven't mentioned anything about the social changes that can occur when a population of an area changes really quite rapidly - which can be alienating to people that have lived there a long time, and this alone doesn't make them xenophobic - and remember as well that I voted remain. But the bit I hate is the fact people seem to struggle to acknowledge that the EU affects people differently, and all the ONS statistics about how immigration benefits the UK and blah blah blah doesn't mean much to people who feel they've been personally negatively affected by it.

So almost literally every argument is immigration then.

Your arguments contradict themselves in all kinds of ways.

The tradesman in Barnsley is probably very far from the large amounts of immigration that could affect his rates.

The people who voted for less immigration in the referendum, are those LEAST affected by it. Even those who have basically ZERO net migration.

The people who voted to leave the EU are from some of the areas who got THE MOST, DIRECT funding from the EU. Farmers, poorer rural areas.

Also, what in the wotld is with this assumption that remain voters are all well to do, with amazing prospects, who can afford things leavers can't and that's why they wanted to remain?

Could it not be that we decided we WERE going to listen to experts and thought it would be damaging for the economy? Or the fact that the xenophobia and racism the leave campaign was absolutely fraught with didn't sway us? Because as it turns out, if you actually live near brown and Eastern European people, you're less likely to be susceptible to Farage standing in front of a poster of a large amount of brown people, with he message of "leave the EU or they'll get in".

It's basically the anti-London bullshit that was being pushed during the referendum. I wonder if people who believe that have ever visited the outer areas of a city centre.

Also, once we leave the EU, these "polish" taking all the jobs and outpricing every tradesman apparently, aren't going to disappear......they aren't getting deported......they're STILL going to be here after we leave the EU.........so what is the gain?

If We're very honest here, the biggest problem was not how people from different areas are affected by the EU differently, because facts show that people who were least affected due to immigration, voted to leave on a grand scale compared to those areas that are most affected by it.

The real issue imo was the ways different people in different areas of the UK reacted to propaganda.

Areas where lots of brown people actually live, weren't scared off by Farages poster of brown people.

Areas where the most Eastern Europeans live and work, weren't scared off by all the jobs disappearing when we don't even have the numbers needed to build houses fast enough to keep up with demand.

Areas where there was literally no immigration and received direct funding from the zeal we're scared shitless if immigration and thought that London gets all the benefits.

People FEELING like the EU is shit for them is NOT the cogent argument that we are asking for, it's just a symptom of a reaction to propaganda in most cases.

And we haven't even talked about prominent leave figures just lying constantly. Boris and his NHS bus. Farage and his "nobody is saying we'all need to leave the single market" bullshit. The entire leave campaign calling every remain argument "project fear" and selling the idea that it'll be a walk in the park.

I mean, you mean to tell me that these desperate and struggling people knew that they were going to devalue the pound by 20% just by VOTING to leave and making basically everything they buy in the shops more expensive?

You mean to tell me that all these fishers/farmers pissed off with EU KNEW that we'd be marching into the negotiations where no deal is much more likely than the deal they want, which means they'll pay huge tarrifs on selling their produce to their largest customers, the EU?

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

kmag

The only issue I have with that is that the less immigration in a region the more likely it was to vote to leave, AND to have a negative opinion of immigration.

By and large outside of the large metropolian areas of the country, immigration was not something which personally affected them, they just thought it was. Take the North East, Newcastle with it's 13% non UK born citizenry voted (barely) to remain, next door Northumberland with it's 2% non UK born citizenry voted overwhelmingly to leave.

Allerdale in the North West has <1% non UK born citizens and voted overwhelmingly leave.

It goes on. For a referendum which has now been distilled to immigration, the vote seemed to be most on prejudice rather than experience.

Greddleok

The people who didn't vote deserve to suffer just as much, maybe it'll teach them not to ignore the voting process and be more educated on political matters in general.

It goes without saying that I feel deep sympathy for those who voted remain and are now stuck.

Seems awfully short sighted, don't you think?

Screw over everyone, to teach roughly half a lesson, of which many who voted to leave won't even be alive to learn.

Theonik

I thing the idea would be that Labour takes over the Government and implements enough left leaning measures to compensate for the protection that EU rules provided before Brexit. Ignoring of course that any following Tory government can reverse those as soon as they come into power. Also ignoring that a Tory government was and still is into power for some years to come.
But that idea is in itself undemocratic. Much as one hates the Tory government it is the case that a new government should be free to change the policy of a previous government as it pleases. The EU gives the government of the day a pretty massive amount of power to fuck things up for everyone for generations to come.

Galava

So they voted without knowing what brexit actually meant for them?

You can't have everything, and wanting all the benefits without any of the responsibities as a member...

Great benefits, come with great responsibilities.

Good post. I also voted Remain, and think leaving is a bad idea for numerous reasons, but there's only so much 'the others are fucking idiots for no fucking reason other than they're fucking dumb' rhetoric I can take. Some are flat out politically dumb, of course, but I'm not sure some of my Remain friends would escape that censure either...

Audioboxer

I still think too much of the country has no idea what Brexit means (even basics) which is the Government's fault. I mean, the finer points of Brexit no one is going to know until the negotiations happen, but even the basics just fly over soo many heads. They either know nothing or are still believing make believe scenarios and lies the papers and some politicians pushed many months ago. No, the foreigners aren't just all going to be rounded up and kicked out and no the NHS is not getting 350m a week. We're also still waiting for the big list of terrible laws the EU was imposing on us.

Scotland voted remain yet we went and increased our Conservative vote from 1 up to 13. Highest it's been since 1992 or something. This was largely down to fear of us having a potential referendum to vote to stay in the EU but leave the UK if the negotiations are really pretty bad. Even after many voted no in 2014 heavily influenced by remarks such as "a vote for no is a vote to stay in the EU". In other words even the thought of actually staying in the EU for many up here got quickly pushed aside at the thought of leaving the UK. These negotiations can't conclude or progress quick enough to educate many and let those with some knowledge of what it all means really get the nitty gritty details.

kmag

I still think too much of the country has no idea what Brexit means (even basics) which is the Government's fault. I mean, the finer points of Brexit no one is going to know until the negotiations happen, but even the basics just fly over soo many heads. They either know nothing or are still believing make believe scenarios and lies the papers and some politicians pushed many months ago. No, the foreigners aren't just all going to be rounded up and kicked out and no the NHS is not getting 350m a week. We're also still waiting for the big list of terrible laws the EU was imposing on us.

Scotland voted remain yet we went and increased our Conservative vote from 1 up to 13. Highest its been since 1992 or something. This was largely down to fear of us having a potential referendum to vote to stay in the EU but leave the UK if the negotiations are really pretty bad. In other words even the thought of actually staying in the EU for many up here got quickly pushed aside at the thought of leaving the UK. These negotiations can't conclude or progress quick enough to educate many and let those with some knowledge of what it all means really get the nitty gritty details.

Brexit is a black mirror, if you support it, it means exactly what you want it to mean at the moment. That will change as the parameters set by the negotiation start to properly define it.

The only issue I have with that is that the less immigration in a region the more likely it was to vote to leave, AND to have a negative opinion of immigration.

By and large outside of the large metropolian areas of the country, immigration was not something which personally affected them, they just thought it was. Take the North East, Newcastle with it's 13% non UK born citizenry voted (barely) to remain, next door Northumberland with it's 2% non UK born citizenry voted overwhelmingly to leave.

Allerdale in the North West has <1% non UK born citizens and voted overwhelmingly leave.

It goes on. For a referendum which has now been distilled to immigration, the vote seemed to be most on prejudice rather than experience.
Isn't this a direct consequence of the larger divide between urban and rural areas? We see it everywhere in the world. Rural areas are being left behind and the urban areas do better. You then enter a cycle of depression on those rural areas, where there is less work, less opportunities, less services, and having less of those, will lead to less investment in it, and making it even worse.

People look for something to blame. And a few decades of anti-EU sentiment is then easy to use to direct them in that way.

Jackpot

Banned

You don't distinguish between EU migrants, non-EU migrants, illegal migrants, asylum seekers, and foreign students.

There were also plenty of migration controls that the UK never enacted even though other EU countries have.

Galava

They should be stripped of their EU citizenship and have to reapply.

It's not if they should or not, they are going to lose it the moment they are out of EU. All treaties stop working, social ones, economic ones...

They would have to negotiate another treaty to allow free travel, another one for trade...and another 500 covering various topics on top of those two (if it's a hard brexit). Which means a couple of decades of negotiations.

Zaph

Seems awfully short sighted, don't you think?

Screw over everyone, to teach roughly half a lesson, of which many who voted to leave won't even be alive to learn.
It is harsh, but Britain needed a severe wake-up call well before the referendum was even discussed. We are a massively complacent nation who thinks the Empire was a couple years ago and everyone wants Britishness - so we don't feel the need to try hard, complete, and modernise. Instead we sit on old money and make excuses.

Our tabloids get away with their nasty, hateful garbage not because they're creating a new narrative, but because they're just telling people what they want to hear.

British exceptionalism is a cancer, and hopefully the world-stage humiliation of Brexit will be the thing that triggers a course-correction so future generations can live in the present.

Top Bottom