• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 page FABLE blowout at IGN!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mrbob said:
I think it is safe to say Xbox >>> All other consoles in anticipation factor with game releases this fall.
I don't know...Halo 2 obviously has a big following, but I haven't heard much from the casuals about Fable. Even if that game does generate a buzz, contrast that to the PS2's heavy franchise updates for this Fall, like GTA 4, GT4, and MGS3, not to mention some of the "lesser" games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
human5892 said:
I don't know...Halo 2 obviously has a big following, but I haven't heard much from the casuals about Fable. Even if that game does generate a buzz, contrast that to the PS2's heavy franchise updates for this Fall, like GTA 4, GT4, and MGS3, not to mention some of the "lesser" games.

Yeah, and Fable has the added problem of being released on a platform not known for its RPGs... the majority of Fable's target market owns a PS2, some of them might even have a Gamecube on the side... but definitely not Xbox.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
djtiesto said:
Yeah, and Fable has the added problem of being released on a platform not known for its RPGs... the majority of Fable's target market owns a PS2, some of them might even have a Gamecube on the side... but definitely not Xbox.

I dunno, KOTOR did quite well...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
djtiesto said:

One think I like about Xbox is by the end of it's life, they'll have possibly 5 incredible RPGs. (Morrowind, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Fable & Jade Empire) That is definately more than I need for RPGs in a console lifetime.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
el-oh-el

The only Xbox title this year that's even in the same zip code of anticipation as GTA: San Andreas is Halo 2. Fable may have all the makings of a great RPG, but when it comes to mindshare, GTA > anything else you care to name.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
djtiesto said:
KOTOR sold well, though. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but if the game is good enough and has enough mass market appeal, it can defy genre-typing.

I guess the question is whether or not Fable will be good enough and have the mainstream appeal to pull a KOTOR, or whether it will end up like Panzer Dragoon Orta (which was acclaimed but sold like shit), or Blinx The Time Sweeper (which sold -- and was generally agreed to be -- fairly shitty).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bishoptl said:
el-oh-el

The only Xbox title this year that's even in the same zip code of anticipation as GTA: San Andreas is Halo 2. Fable may have all the makings of a great RPG, but when it comes to mindshare, GTA > anything else you care to name.

I seriously think Halo 2 will come close to matching SA from a sales and attention standpoint...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I will say this KoTOR did have the Star Wars name to go along with it... But really RPGs for all of the systems have not been burning up the sales chart... each system has about one huge seller....

Blimblim

The Inside Track
djtiesto said:
There is no market for a typical Japanese RPG on Xbox, that maybe true. But for something really different like Fable (or to a lesser extend KOTOR) I think it could find quite a following.

Redbeard

Banned
human5892 said:
I guess the question is whether or not Fable will be good enough and have the mainstream appeal to pull a KOTOR, or whether it will end up like Panzer Dragoon Orta (which was acclaimed but sold like shit), or Blinx The Time Sweeper (which sold -- and was generally agreed to be -- fairly shitty).

Morrowind sold well enough; I think that's the market right there.

I actually have my doubts whether the JRPG-fed PS2 audience would care as much as Xbox owners.

DopeyFish

Blackace said:
I will say this KoTOR did have the Star Wars name to go along with it... But really RPGs for all of the systems have not been burning up the sales chart... each system has about one huge seller....

more likely than not, the star wars name was probably a deterrent rather than interest provoker.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dark10x, what did I just say? Halo 2 is the sole Xbox title this year that can come close to matching GTA:SA's anticipation. :(

Anyways, sales arguments are for another thread. Let us not sidetrack the upcoming glory that is Fable.

Blackace

DopeyFish said:
more likely than not, the star wars name was probably a deterrent rather than interest provoker.

in the words of Lil' John....

WHAaaaaaaaaaaaaTt?!?!??!?!?

And I agree with Bish... I don't want to derail the Fable goodness

DopeyFish

Blackace said:
in the words of Lil' John....

WHAaaaaaaaaaaaaTt?!?!??!?!?

ok. Star Wars games in peoples mindsets = normally crap
there was a few good star wars games (not great) like Rogue Squadron, shadows of the empire, dark forces/jedi knight plus heaps of other garbage.

Then you have an incredible game come out of nowhere, and most people will be hesitant based on their assumption that the game will probably be as bad as most of the others.

Mrbob

:( Poor Fable.

We should have an official Xbox/PS2 Halo2/GTA:SA flamefest thread and be done with it.

Part two of the preview will be up later today!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Why limit it to Xbox? Halo 2 is the only game PERIOD in the same radar scale as GTA.

How this detracts from any appeal Fable might have I personally have no clue though...

Blackace

Mrbob said:
:( Poor Fable.

We should have an official Xbox/PS2 Halo2/GTA:SA flamefest thread and be done with it.

Part two of the preview will be up later today!

I have been fiending for a RPG and this will solve my problem in a month and some odd days

dorio

Banned
Oh no. Now this thread is going to become a fanboy pissing contest.

There are plenty of great games coming out for all consoles, now please return to your regular scheduled program.

Mrbob

Fable is the new hotness in RPG gaming! Right...?

Is this game truly the next step in RPG style games? We've been stuck in a funk mechanice wise since practically the beginning of of roleplaying games. The graphics have gotten better, but the basic mechanics haven't really evolved. RPG genre might be the most stagnated genre out there next too fighting games. I really hope Fable can follow through in its level of interactivity, not only with others but how you can tweak your own hero, which looks to be unparallelled in both PC and console RPG gaming.

Blackace

Mrbob said:
Fable is the new hotness in RPG gaming! Right...?

Is this game truly the next step in RPG style games? We've been stuck in a funk mechanice wise since practically the beginning of of roleplaying games. The graphics have gotten better, but the basic mechanics haven't really evolved. RPG genre might be the most stagnated genre out there next too fighting games. I really hope Fable can follow through in its level of interactivity, not only with others but how you can tweak your own hero, which looks to be unparallelled in both PC and console RPG gaming.

Amen! I love this style of RPGs... and I am a die hard RPG fan... I can't wait to see what other companies start doing after Fable, KoTOR II and Jade Empire kick much ass...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
dorio said:

There are plenty of great games coming out for all consoles, now please return to your regular scheduled program.

Damnit. And my schlong was already whipped out ready to wash this thread down with warm, yellow goodness :(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dorio said:

You're late

Redbeard

Banned
A small piece of tonight's article:

Real Estate Venture
Every property in Fable that's not already for sale (noted by a For Sale sign out front) is owned by someone in the town. That person may not be in town at that moment, as people do travel, but generally you can find the owner nearby. Should that person die, his or her property immediately goes on the market. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Now you may be smart enough to realize that guards aren't exactly going to let you kill people and take their property -- not in the town proper anyway. But you have two options. First, you can be stealthy and kill people when guards and witnesses are not around. And if you're impatient, like I am, you can convince people to follow you out of town. With enough renown or if the NPC takes a liking to your type of character, use the Follow expression and they will indeed follow you out of down and into the wilderness where you can turn on them and pop them like a zit with a fireball. The moment they die, a message flashes on screen, "A new property has gone on the market." It's okay to laugh, you didn't know him very well anyway.

There's no limit to how much you can own, so you can in fact buy an entire town with enough diligence. But properties can be upgraded just like your character. When you get a place, it's gonna be pretty bare. But you can spend cash anytime you drop by and continually upgrade your place from shack to mansion. Then you can sell off your property for big bucks. While some may end this venture right there, a smart person would then turn around and kill the new owner and repurchase the property for cheap. That sound you hear is you peeing your pants.

GhaleonEB

Redbeard said:
A small piece of tonight's article:

Real Estate Venture
Every property in Fable that's not already for sale (noted by a For Sale sign out front) is owned by someone in the town. That person may not be in town at that moment, as people do travel, but generally you can find the owner nearby. Should that person die, his or her property immediately goes on the market. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Now you may be smart enough to realize that guards aren't exactly going to let you kill people and take their property -- not in the town proper anyway. But you have two options. First, you can be stealthy and kill people when guards and witnesses are not around. And if you're impatient, like I am, you can convince people to follow you out of town. With enough renown or if the NPC takes a liking to your type of character, use the Follow expression and they will indeed follow you out of down and into the wilderness where you can turn on them and pop them like a zit with a fireball. The moment they die, a message flashes on screen, "A new property has gone on the market." It's okay to laugh, you didn't know him very well anyway.

There's no limit to how much you can own, so you can in fact buy an entire town with enough diligence. But properties can be upgraded just like your character. When you get a place, it's gonna be pretty bare. But you can spend cash anytime you drop by and continually upgrade your place from shack to mansion. Then you can sell off your property for big bucks. While some may end this venture right there, a smart person would then turn around and kill the new owner and repurchase the property for cheap. That sound you hear is you peeing your pants.

Holy crap!

The Ultimate Frying Pan
Speaking of weapons, there are a lot of them in Fable and each has its own properties. Every weapon has a specific number of upgradeable slots that you can then fill at a blacksmith to imbue certain attributes. The more you use a weapon, the better you're gonna get with it. And yes, you can also use some normal items as well, like the frying pan.

The handy-dandy frying pan not only cooks eggs, but can be upgraded through constant use to become the Ultimate Weapon. Yes, a frying pan can, in fact, become the greatest weapon in all the land. This was something Molyneux spoke of long ago and I'd thought was no longer in the game, but it has been confirmed that this beautiful weapon of doom is in the game and can be wielded to win the game and save all of Albion. Holy snap, crackle and pop!

Excuse me while I go pre-order the game online..........

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Blackace said:
Amen! I love this style of RPGs... and I am a die hard RPG fan... I can't wait to see what other companies start doing after Fable, KoTOR II and Jade Empire kick much ass...

I hope Japanese companies continue on doing what they've been doing... I prefer a more linear, focused story and good art, over this open ended gameplay trend.

Joe

both halo2 and halo2 collectors edition pre-orders are outselling gta:sa pre-orders on amazon.com

(sorry to derail just wanted to add that).

Blackace

djtiesto said:
I hope Japanese companies continue on doing what they've been doing... I prefer a more linear, focused story and good art, over this open ended gameplay trend.

I also enjoy that as well... but too much is too much! mix it up a little bit.. see if they is a way to combine both... I think KoTOR did it quite well!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Would anybody with the fable preorder DVD be kind enough to upload the files to me so I could host them in high quality on my site ? It would be so nice for us poor europeans who will never get to see this otherwise :/

Koshiro

I seem to phase in and out of interest for this game. Back to strongly interested again now - they'd better release it quick while we're all in the "interested again" phase.

djtiesto said:

same here but this sounds really good. I am gonna check this game out

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We've been stuck in a funk mechanice wise since practically the beginning of of roleplaying games. The graphics have gotten better, but the basic mechanics haven't really evolved. RPG genre might be the most stagnated genre out there next too fighting games. I really hope Fable can follow through in its level of interactivity, not only with others but how you can tweak your own hero, which looks to be unparallelled in both PC and console RPG gaming.
That is so very true. I want Fable to be successfull and more games of that kind to be made. Well, last RPG I wished for that to happen was with Shenmue, and we all know how that ended... In any case, I was sick of the current crop of RPGs the first day I tried to play them, and also every next time I gave a shot to a new RPG. I'm talking about both JRPGs and WRPGS, they are all the same ol' crap to me.

One good thing, I think, is that even the most traditional RPG makers are seeing how stale their games have become. You'll notice that FFXII already follows many concepts of direct interactivity that are present in Fable - not nearly as much, I know - but still a step in the right direction.

both halo2 and halo2 collectors edition pre-orders are outselling gta:sa pre-orders on amazon.com
Yeah, and on the Amazon, Xbox has been outseling... Ah, well, you know the story...
It really means absolutely nothing. Those millions who are going to buy GTA are not going to buy it on the Amazon, EBword.com or any online store, nor they will be preordering it. That type of behavior is pretty much reserved for us, hardcore game geeks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
did bishop add fuel to the flamefest? I don't know what to think.

Solid

Blimblim said:
Would anybody with the fable preorder DVD be kind enough to upload the files to me so I could host them in high quality on my site ? It would be so nice for us poor europeans who will never get to see this otherwise :/
^

Someone plz do it.

After reading those impressions I may actually pick this game up. I don't know yet. But some of the concepts sound fun. I'll just wait for some of the reviews.

All the NPC interaction, house buying, etc. are just icing on the cake for what I am most looking forward to in this RPG - realtime combat and its effects on your character's development. Fuck the turnbased, pop out of nowhere bullshit combat of all the FFs and their clones. Fable is the future.

Also, has anyone heard anything about seasonal effects or night/day transitions? It would be cool if this game had something along the lines of The Wind Waker's day to night changes and the occasional rain storm.

siamesedreamer said:
All the NPC interaction, house buying, etc. are just icing on the cake for what I am most looking forward to in this RPG - realtime combat and its effects on your character's development. Fuck the turnbased, pop out of nowhere bullshit combat of all the FFs and their clones. Fable is the future.

Also, has anyone heard anything about seasonal effects or night/day transitions? It would be cool if this game had something along the lines of The Wind Waker's day to night changes and the occasional rain storm.

You are in luck. According to my pre-orde fable DVD, there is indeed weather effects and day to night transitions in fable. One movie on the disk showed what appeared to be a huge thunderstrom. As for seasons, I know there is snow in the game, I'm not sure if thats a seasonal thing or not though.

Mrbob

NetMapel said:
When can I start expecting a PC port ?

2007. No offense intended, but if you are holding out for a PC port, it means you must have a fairly capable PC, and you should have 200 bones to throw down on an Xbox and Fable.

NetMapel said:
When can I start expecting a PC port ? I want this game now :(

never. This will be one of XBOX biggest titles. MS wants people to buy an XBOX if they want to play it. Then again, it could end up like HALO and end up on PC two years or so after sales slow down enough. But why wait?

I'm still being EXTREMELY cautious about this game, as Black and White had similar promises of grand proportions, and it's very easy to see how unimpressive or lacklustre some of these options could be. Nevertheless, it could still be the best game of the year. I'm just going to wait for the reviews.

Top Bottom