• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K Resolution Meme

bitbydeath

Before you join in on the “8K is pointless”, “you must sit X feet away, and have X screen size”, or “the human eye cannot see the difference between 4K and 8K”, just remember you will be joining the legions of memes who thought this in the past about lower resolutions.

And they were all wrong.

720P -> 1080P

ctmHh49.png

1080P -> 4K
ST4RMiycr7GubEYoNEXqNlhFQEZWB9z5qUFCgYkrGoI.png

tUvW4MF_d.webp

SHA

It's not just about the number of pixels, it's much more complex than that, a single pixel could do a lot more than what you've ever imagined, even @720p, you could still do a lot more than what we experienced like image clarity.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can see 8K being cool for VR and such but, on a TV in the living room? I don't know man, I think we are still quite far away from that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We have vision equivalent of 32k
We don't need a higher resolution we need to fill the current pixels we have, that why the difference isn't as noticeable, fill those pixels and the difference will be massive.

Last edited:

Puscifer

1080P had the same issues when 4K arrived.
What are you even saying here? That 1080p got worse when 4K arrived? Because that's asinine. PC was playing 1080p smoothly far back as 2005, it took roughly another 8 years for 1440p by 2012/2013 for 1440p to become the new mainstream resolution and maybe if Ray Tracing never came into the picture 4K/60 would be a reality but that's proving to not be the case time and time again as now Path Tracing in real time demolishes the most powerful GPU on earth that they've resorted to fake frames + on chip video processing to make it a reality.

Puscifer

Maybe they were wrong in the past, but this time I feel it’s pretty realistic to say that the difference between 4K and 8K is negligible in most cases.
Not to mention unless we start filming everything in 70MM and they start upscaling those 6K DIs you aren't going to see a difference.

35mm film scans have a physical maximum of 4K when scanned, there's ZERO detail to be gained doing so and I bet at that point we're going to be AI upscaling. You really have no clue what you're asking for here, do you?

You're being sold useless technology because companies literally don't know how to sell anything anymore.

Sooner

8k is still stupid. Even if you can tell a difference, that difference doesn't even come close to be worth the costs.

bitbydeath

What are you even saying here? That 1080p got worse when 4K arrived? Because that's asinine. PC was playing 1080p smoothly far back as 2005, it took roughly another 8 years for 1440p by 2012/2013 for 1440p to become the new mainstream resolution and maybe if Ray Tracing never came into the picture 4K/60 would be a reality but that's proving to not be the case time and time again as now Path Tracing in real time demolishes the most powerful GPU on earth that they've resorted to fake frames + on chip video processing to make it a reality.
No, that 1080P was often not native when 4K arrived.

Wildebeest

No, that 1080P was often not native when 4K arrived.
You could play non widescreen PC games at that sort of resolution before 1080p became common. It wasn't impossible, more of a culture of console devs just rendering at lower quality, which is still common now. Really, the mathematics of scaling up past that seems more brutal, as the megapixels do not go up linearly as you go from resolution to resolution.

Rudius

If you are using a large screen up close 8K may be of benefit. I was using a 40 inch 4K TV as a monitor on a table and it didn't looked very sharp, as you would suppose 4K should look. Now with a 4K 27 inch monitor in the same table it looks correct. Not at all a waste of pixels as some people are claim, and still not "perfect", but good.

8K should be perfect for the 40 inch screen as a monitor, but at that size and distance it was uncomfortable to use, specially in full screen apps. The 27 inch would probably benefit from "5K" resolution, but maybe 8K would be a bit too much for it.

JimboJones

There's nothing wrong with 8K, it will be great it's more that in the here and now yes it's pretty stupid. No hardware can provide a satisfactory gaming experience at that resolution.

ap_puff

I honestly don't think 8k will catch on for a long time, if at all. Currently iirc most 8k displays are banned in the EU due to power consumption, and the tech moves pretty slowly. We don't even have mass adoption of OLED yet and microLED is probably gonna push it out due to costs for the average consumer

Shifty1897

My old ass eyes really can't tell the difference between 1440p and 4k on my 65" OLED. The performance cost of rendering in 8K is not worth the visual fidelity increase when you can spend those GPU resources on something else, like ray tracing.

Top Bottom