• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K Resolution Meme

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It gets to a point the human eye cant tell the difference in increased res, colours or frames. Everyone is going to be a bit different, but there is a limit.

It'll come down to whether or not tech gadget makers find something else important to work on, or push the envelope on things that wont matter anymore for sake of easiest thing to market.

I dont know what colour spectrum eyes can see. A google check says humans can see about 10M colours. I find it hard to believe it's even that high. But lets say that's true, what would a TV or game system technically churning out 1 billion colours matter if humans max out at 10M? Who knows.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Its not about 'not seeing it' as far as I know. Its about the immense amount of wasted compute on a resolution That's hardly distinctive from 4k when further away on a couch.

The wasted resources to spend on a stable running 8k without barely any benefits and forgoing other possible effects is not worth it + everything is upscaled from a lower internal res anyway. 4k isn't worth it either for the same reasons.

It's why DF calls this era 'post-resolution' which I agree with. Everything reaching 4k doesn't matter anymore. The difference in early generation where far more pronounced. Most people still use 1080p because of the high performance and they don't care. That's not the same case with 720p.

Last edited:
4K with DLAA is fine with me.

8K just seems like a waste of computational power.

4K is already a very hefty and hungry target.

Hell most new PS5 titles don't seem to even hit 1080p.

Preseznik

Keep in mind that the UE5 8K texture demo was the biggest wow factor we have received so far this gen.

Which demo are you talking about?
In any case, a texture being "8k" has nothing at all to do with display resolutions?

if you mean something like this, it has no attribute which makes it significantly more impressive in 8k (it's plenty impressive in 4k):

Zathalus

gfdrB6eqKbOwJp4DTyNMvuIe_2yCjYl2OS1BlWxlHrY.png

Literally the exact same thing.

8K replacing 4K might still eventually happen but I’d wager the earliest it would be is the next decade. 16k probably won’t become mainstream, or at least not in the next 30 years.

DanielG165

8K won’t be a thing for quite some time. Pro videographers, cinematographers, directors, and photographers don’t bother using 8K because of how much of a waste it is. I’m sure game developers feel the same. Why waste precious time, resources, and budget on something that 99.9% of the human population won’t be able to perceive? Why do you think the vast majority of pro cameras are still on 6K?

For video games specifically, we’re still struggling to hit native 4K in highly intensive projects, having to instead rely on AI upscaling techniques to get there. Unless it’s a very graphically simple game, or something retro, 8K is a pipe dream at best, and useless resource hog in reality.

bitbydeath

Which demo are you talking about?
In any case, a texture being "8k" has nothing at all to do with display resolutions?

if you mean something like this, it has no attribute which makes it significantly more impressive in 8k (it's plenty impressive in 4k):

The lumen in the land of nanite video.
8K textures can be down sampled but we weren’t going to get them without 8K resolution.

bitbydeath

8K won’t be a thing for quite some time. Pro videographers, cinematographers, directors, and photographers don’t bother using 8K because of how much of a waste it is. I’m sure game developers feel the same. Why waste precious time, resources, and budget on something that 99.9% of the human population won’t be able to perceive? Why do you think the vast majority of pro cameras are still on 6K?

For video games specifically, we’re still struggling to hit native 4K in highly intensive projects, having to instead rely on AI upscaling techniques to get there. Unless it’s a very graphically simple game, or something retro, 8K is a pipe dream at best, and useless resource hog in reality.
GT7 is already confirmed to be 8K on the PS5 Pro.

bitbydeath

But upscaled from a much lower base resolution, likely 1440p or so, using PSSR. So not really even 4K, never mind 8K.
It’s already native 4K on the PS5 which is likely why it can reach 8K. The Pro likely pushes the base up to around 6K and the PSSR raises it to 8K.

Last edited:

the_master

16x and 64x will happen and we'll see the difference, but it is going to be less and less impactful. The power and processing power required keeps multiplying at the same rate though.

Fahdis

Why didn't you make this thread when the 4090 came out OP? Or is the glorious 8K only important when your favorite company does it just to scam you? Those journalists are retarded btw. Sit down with an 8K screen. And you will see no difference.

Here watch this video:

gfdrB6eqKbOwJp4DTyNMvuIe_2yCjYl2OS1BlWxlHrY.png

Literally the exact same thing.

8K replacing 4K might still eventually happen but I’d wager the earliest it would be is the next decade. 16k probably won’t become mainstream, or at least not in the next 30 years.
This image is a very bad, and disingenuous example though.
60-600-6000 all require actual modeling to get those extra details, the 60000 example just has subdivision surface as a modifier on the base mesh. The artists didn't model any extra detail with the increased budget of polygons, could've made the lapels, tie and buttons complete objects for instance, instead of having them wholly merged/blended into bust.

Zathalus

This image is a very bad, and disingenuous example though.
60-600-6000 all require actual modeling to get those extra details, the 60000 example just has subdivision surface as a modifier on the base mesh. The artists didn't model any extra detail with the increased budget of polygons, could've made the lapels, tie and buttons complete objects for instance, instead of having them wholly merged/blended into bust.
It’s a simplistic example, but it works well enough to illustrate the point. Especially for a flat screen where the only thing increasing is pixel density.

King Dazzar

I'm on an 8k TV (bought it for the top tier luminance, not 8k). And native 8k does give sharper text on PC. Its subtle but definitely noticeable. But I prefer having 4k 120fps 444 set for desktop use. However its upscale of 4k content to the 8k panel is definitely a touch sharper/detailed than the other 4k 1:1 pixel mapped sets I have.

Even if GT7 offers an 8k mode. I'll still be using 4k on my 8k TV.

Guilty_AI

One element people overlook in these discussions is that you need more than just resolution increases to see any benefit. When 720p-1080p began rolling around, flat-screens were becoming mainstream, but before that you wouldn't have seen much benefit for it in CRTs. Similarly, there's a whole new array of technologies that benefit from 4k, be it things like OLED, larger screens or just higher contrast and color ranges.

For 8K - or 16K - to matter, we would need to start seeing other pieces of technology that would make it matter.

Last edited:

Preseznik

The lumen in the land of nanite video.
8K textures can be down sampled but we weren’t going to get them without 8K resolution.
N-no, textures resolutions do not work that way, has nothing to do with display resolution.
You'll never view an 8k texture filling up the entire display 1:1 pixel. Which would be the *only* scenario where this would matter.

makaveli60

I would gladly play in 480p if it meant CG movie quality visuals from about 10 years ago. This resolution and fps obsession is why we can’t have nice things.

RCX

I'd have been happy to stop at 1440p and just go all-in on a quest for perfect performance.

But big resolution number on box = more better for casuals I suppose.

bitbydeath

Why didn't you make this thread when the 4090 came out OP? Or is the glorious 8K only important when your favorite company does it just to scam you? Those journalists are retarded btw. Sit down with an 8K screen. And you will see no difference.

Here watch this video:

Because devs don’t give a shit about PC.

bitbydeath

N-no, textures resolutions do not work that way, has nothing to do with display resolution.
You'll never view an 8k texture filling up the entire display 1:1 pixel. Which would be the *only* scenario where this would matter.
I’d argue that demo showed the potential of 8K, even for those playing on 4K devices.

Vyse

Gold Member
My old ass eyes really can't tell the difference between 1440p and 4k on my 65" OLED. The performance cost of rendering in 8K is not worth the visual fidelity increase when you can spend those GPU resources on something else, like ray tracing.
Get some glasses like the rest of us old farts.

Neilg

8K isn't possible
Current high end cinema cameras all shoot at 4k and some at 6K downscaled to 4K
8k is just a waste of storage and compute power
Before moving to 8k there needs to be 8K content
Yep. We'll have real time AI upscaling in every TV before a good 8k production pipeline.

bitbydeath

Okay so what’s your point, exactly? Why would we transition to 8K of any kind, when we still struggle to hit 4K of any kind in games today? It’s logistically nonsensical.
Because that’s how improvements work, we reach 4K native in certain games they can now work on the next milestone 8K.

8K won’t be for all games.

XXL

Imagine thinking that one day 8K won't be standard.....
Cracking Up Lol GIF

We're not there yet, but it will be in the future. You would have to be a fucking idiot to think we're never surpassing 4K as the standard.

Griffon

Sure 8k displays will happens, but our games will just have a native res of 1440p or 4k and use super sampling for the remaining pixels, because at that point we wont even see the difference between native and that.

Mercador

For me, I prefer 1080@60 than 2160@30 and I will prefer 2160@60 than 4320@30. I've watched 4K and 8K tvs side by side and it's starting to be difficult to discern the difference. 720p and 1080p was evident and even 1080+ is quite evident as well. I guess perhaps my vision will adapt.

Top Bottom