• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A bit of a nieche topic, but I miss Cursed Rings in Final Fantasy, a lot. Anyone here does as well?

For anyone that doesn't know, they are secret accessories, that usually buff your stats, while fucking you over with something else.

With Death Sentence, for example. That has a 1 minute count down, that instantly kills you when it hits zero.

images

It has been a long time since they appeared. And I miss them dearly, because they are super fun, for me.

According to the wiki, the last one that had it, was Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy. Or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, if you count it as a "proper" FF (I don't).

(I misspelled "niche", sorry)

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Agreed. Even better when you could do something (kind of challenging) to lift the curse itself and keep the good stats. Give me a reason to grind.

Cursed shield in FF6 which gave you lots of bad status effects (Doom, Poison, etc) but if you fought with around 250 times it would turn into Paladin Shield, the best shield in the game. True that you could wear one of those ribbons to negate all but Doom so it wasn't that bad but it was always a challenge because you would not be able to wear a different relic combo.

Last edited:

Isa

Agreed. Even better when you could do something (kind of challenging) to lift the curse itself and keep the good stats. Give me a reason to grind.
Seriously! In any rpg, originally table top games, finding a cursed item was half the fun. Except I can't really recall any videogame that continued the game design so table top wins again. Its so easy, offer up an actual decent side quest to purify, remove or destroy the curse on the item or character. But no, instead remove the concept and put in a murder so many x or collect y. People may claim we're being nit pickers or grognards but game devs have really dropped the ball.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Cursed shield in FF6 which gave you lots of bad status effects (Doom, Poison, etc) but if you fought with around 250 times it would turn into Paladin Shield, the best shield in the game. True that you could wear one of those ribbons to negate all but Doom so it wasn't that bad but it was always a challenge because you would not be able to wear a different relic combo.
Plus IIRC it taught you the Ultima spell, which was the only way you could learn it if you chose the Ultima sword over the esper. What fun game design.

Top Bottom