• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

ultron87

The Albatross said:
Question, anybody know when Amazon drops books onto the Kindle that have been pre-ordered? If it comes out at midnight, I'll stay up and start reading it... but I don't want to stay up late only to be disappointed.

What I've read says that it is midnight PST. But it wouldn't hurt to flip on your Kindle at whatever your local midnight time happens to be.

I don't mean to be picky or anything, but
isn't putting Melisandre's name in the topic pretty much a spoiler? I hate her(not as a character, but in a way that the books makes you hate her), and I was hoping that Davos would come up with some daring plan to murder her and succeed. I now know that this does not happen(or at the very least she's been revived or something). The title implies pretty explicate that she lives for the fifth book.
Feel free to tell me how wrong I am in anyway.

Anyway, about half way through Crows and am looking forward to reading the fifth. Loving the series so far, even though
Cersei's chapters are boring me out of my mind.

Veelk

Banned
I just want to make one thing sure. I'm getting it on my kindle, and it will be downloaded here at 12 am, right?

LCfiner

Generic said:
I just want to make one thing sure. I'm getting it on my kindle, and it will be downloaded here at 12 am, right?

not necessarily. last time I pre-ordered a book on Kindle (wise man’s fear) it was not available at midnight. even after several manual syncs. I didn’t wait very long before going to sleep so maybe it arrived at 12:30 or something. It was available next AM when I woke up.

Emerson said:
Most likely midnight PST/3 AM EST.

Many thanks, and curses to the West Coast. Pompous dingleberries they all are!

*edit*
Thanks to the others who had input as well. Sounds like I'll have to wait. I usually go to bed around 1am ish (EST) so I'll post when it's delivered.

ITT I complain about how I got up early and went in to the city on a bus (1 hour) to wait outside the bookstore... only to be told that it isn't gonna be in until 3.

White whine. SABR!

bengraven

So midnight eastern on Kindle?

Emerson said:
Just wanted to point out that this list is missing a regular POV:

Jon Connington

And the epilogue which I won't post.

I think it's better people found that out on their own. The chapter that character revealed in was badass.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
bengraven said:
So midnight eastern on Kindle?

I think it's better people found that out on their own. The chapter that character revealed in was badass.

Not arguing that, but he listed the other new POVs too so I can't see any reason to leave that one off.

Tucah

you speak so well
ADWD is my most anticipated anything of the entire year so I couldn't be more excited to get my hands on a copy tomorrow. I'm attempting to finish AFFC one last time before then - about 300 pages from the end so we'll see how that goes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Avoiding this entire thread, just as I have with every other ASOIAF for the past few weeks, until I nail the entire book. Godspeed!

Amir0x

Banned
BetterThanNothing said:
I don't mean to be picky or anything, but
isn't putting Melisandre's name in the topic pretty much a spoiler? I hate her(not as a character, but in a way that the books makes you hate her), and I was hoping that Davos would come up with some daring plan to murder her and succeed. I now know that this does not happen(or at the very least she's been revived or something). The title implies pretty explicate that she lives for the fifth book.
Feel free to tell me how wrong I am in anyway.

Anyway, about half way through Crows and am looking forward to reading the fifth. Loving the series so far, even though
Cersei's chapters are boring me out of my mind.

The title doesn't imply anything at all. It implies only that the character exists in the books in some form. I can't even imagine how anyone can deduce anything about the characters fate from the title lol

psychoanalysis right up in here

I can't believe that it's almost here. I really wish that I didn't have to work tomorrow, but I'll be getting started on it as soon as I get home.

Coop

My book has been shipping soon for about 10 hours now. I know amazon is usually good with release day shipping but come on!

Edit: ha, about a minute later it shipped! woot

I HAVE IT!

I FUCKEN HAVE IT!

Just downloaded off the iBook Store on my iPhone!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

Got two weeks off work to read it as well, omg so excite SO EXCITE!!!

Minor details about length of the book
It's long as well... it's as long as A Clash of Kings! I read on my iPhone and in terms of iPhone page length, it's about 1,000 iPhone pages longer than AFFC. FUCK YEAH!

methodman

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
I HAVE IT!

I FUCKEN HAVE IT!

Just downloaded off the iBook Store on my iPhone!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

Got two weeks off work to read it as well, omg so excite SO EXCITE!!!

Minor details about length of the book
It's long as well... it's as long as A Clash of Kings! I read on my iPhone and in terms of iPhone page length, it's about 1,000 iPhone pages longer than AFFC. FUCK YEAH!
What the hell? Where do you live??

Oh wow... just reading through the chapter titles and links in the iBook version seeing the chapter titles... there is a spoiler... it's not a major spoiler, but it's a some GOOD NEWS!!

Find out this good news if you read this!

<Chapter Titles>
There is an Arya Chapter

ColonialRaptor said:
Oh wow... just reading through the chapter titles and links in the iBook version seeing the chapter titles... there is a spoiler... it's not a major spoiler, but it's a some GOOD NEWS!!

Find out this good news if you read this!

<Chapter Titles>
There is an Arya Chapter

Awesome. I read the amazon description and didn't see any mention so was a bit worried. very nice.

aronnov reborn said:
Awesome. I read the amazon description and didn't see any mention so was a bit worried. very nice.

Another little tidbit about Chronology (this is from the VERY first few pages and isn't really a spoiler at all - I mean, if I read this I wouldn't consider it a spoiler but I'll spoiler tag it anyway).

There is a bit about Chronology at the start of the book, and George explains that this book takes off from the end of A Storm of Swords and follows side by side the events that happened in A Feast for Crows, however it is much longer than AFFC and such, it only follows the events of AFFC to a point. After that point it involves all characters, looking at the chapter titles it looks like between half way and the last third of the book is all characters of the story again progressing the entire story - VERY AWESOME!!!

Dartastic

I'm halfway through A Clash of Kings, for a reread. I'm going to read a Storm of Swords as fast as possible, plow through the Brienne chapters in AFfC, then jump into this. HYPE.

ColonialRaptor said:
Another little tidbit about Chronology (this is from the VERY first few pages and isn't really a spoiler at all - I mean, if I read this I wouldn't consider it a spoiler but I'll spoiler tag it anyway).

There is a bit about Chronology at the start of the book, and George explains that this book takes off from the end of A Storm of Swords and follows side by side the events that happened in A Feast for Crows, however it is much longer than AFFC and such, it only follows the events of AFFC to a point. After that point it involves all characters, looking at the chapter titles it looks like between half way and the last third of the book is all characters of the story again progressing the entire story - VERY AWESOME!!!

I WANT THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!

Would someone like me to post the Chapter list?

Obviously spoiler-ed?

Anyway... the choice is yours read it if you will - highlight if you choose.

<Chapter List>
A Cavil on Chronology
Prologue
Tyrion
Daenerys
Jon
Bran
Tyrion
The Merchant's Man
Jon
Tyrion
Davos
Jon
Daenerys
Reek
Bran
Tyrion
Davos
Daenerys
Jon
Tyrion
Davos
Reek
Jon
Tyrion
Daenerys
The Lost Lord
The Windblown
The Wayward Bride
Tyrion
Jon
Davos
Daenerys
Melisandre
Reek
Tyrion
Bran
Jon
Daenerys
The Prince of Winterfell
The Watcher
Jon
Tyrion
The Turncloak
The King's Prize
Daenerys
Jon
The Blind Girl
A Ghost in Winterfell
Tyrion
Jaime
Jon
Daenerys
Theon
Daenerys
Jon
Cersei
The Queensguard
The Iron Suitor
Tyrion
Jon
The Discarded Knight
The Spurned Suitor
The Griffin Reborn
The Sacrifice
Victarion
The Ugly Little Girl
Cersei
Tyrion
The Kingbreaker
The Dragontamer
Jon
The Queen's Hand
Daenerys
Epilogue

Fjordson

ColonialRaptor said:
Would someone like me to post the Chapter list?

Obviously spoiler-ed?

Do it! I saw a list of on Reddit, but I don't know if it was legit or not.

Doesn't he have different titles throughout, even multiple ones for single characters? So it's not just the character names, but more names that reflect what's going on in the story?

Fjordson said:
Do it! I saw a list of on Reddit, but I don't know if it was legit or not.

Doesn't he have different titles throughout, even multiple ones for single characters? So it's not just the character names, but more names that reflect what's going on in the story?

Yes. The chapter titles for certain characters will spoil things.

storybook77 said:
I know but at this point, I don't trust my hand to do what's right and not highlight it.

So what if you read it in this thread or not? It's just the same as reading it if you have the book in your hand is it not? It's not like you're really spoiling that much? You're just getting a preview into what the chapter order of the book is, and that order will just be the order of the chapters that you're about to read when the book comes out for you guys!

Either way, you get a good peek into what the book is all about and it's a pretty awesome thing to look at in my opinion!

I edited my post with it guys... just up above a little.

Edit - and I tell you guys what, from what little I have read so far, this book is going to be EPIC AS FUCK and I am giddy as all hell!

KingGondo

Banned
Finished my second readthrough of the first four books a couple of nights ago.

So thrilled that this will be in my hands in less than 24 hours. I loved AFFC in spite of what I had heard about it, so I know I'll be very happy with ADWD.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, Ami! I was just going to use the "Ok, nerds" thread, as the unmarked spoiler thread is a bit dangerous territory (until I finish Dance, at least). Now I have a dedicated spot to post impressions as I go. Much appreciated!

ColonialRaptor said:
So what if you read it in this thread or not? It's just the same as reading it if you have the book in your hand is it not? It's not like you're really spoiling that much? You're just getting a preview into what the chapter order of the book is, and that order will just be the order of the chapters that you're about to read when the book comes out for you guys!

The titles themselves give away what happens in some of those chapters, particularly for (Chapter title/POV spoilers)
Barristan, Quintyn, Connington, and Theon.

Charging up the kindle now. I can't wait to start reading this bad boy tomorrow and start the power reading.

I'll be avoiding this thread until i'm done.

Well I'll see you all sometime around Christmas. I just started ACOK and it took me a good 2 months to read AGOT. Granted I was in finals mode for spring semester and have been doing summer classes and reading along with the show so I think it took me a bit longer than it should have. But, I am a slow reader as well so whatever.

Damn, I can't believe the day is finally upon us. I will be taking a trip to Borders bright and early as soon as I get my morning run in and answer some emails. I cannot wait!

dyls

Arggh. Just got the email that my iBooks preorder is ready. But I'm in the middle of book 7 on my Harry Potter reread. Must wait until Friday after I've seen Deathly Hollows 2. Why oh why are both of these happening in the same weak.

My desire to start reading before all of you physical product dinosaurs makes it even tougher to wait.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All right. I'm back home now, but I've got to finish the last 100 pages of Assassin's Apprentice within the next three hours! The book is really good, by the way.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gonna try and hittup a B&N or Target/Walmart tomorrow and pickup a hardcopy. Give it to meee. I will read this thing in two days.

Top Bottom